Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

Would not like to be stuck on the M50 right now. It's been a while since I've seen rain like this, love it!
    Site0Camera73.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A nice squall line has developed on the back of the front, seems to be over Dublin right now

Still pouring down here as well, looks like we have hours to go yet, another 2 inch rise and the water will start to come in my back door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

wind is picking up here from the whest.

A little low is forming around Dublin a forecast.

Precip echoes intensify in the region on latest radar

Can someone explain what happened to the high wind that was forecast along with this rain. This stalling effect i.e "no wind" to blow this rain front along is going to cause alot of damage in Dublin City Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A pic from the Irish times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1024/breaking43.html
    Flooding is causing serious problems for drivers in the capital with flooding on the Howth Road and on the N1 before Santry.

The N7 between Citwest and Rathcoole has heavy flooding and motorists are advised to avoid the road if possible.

Flooding on the southbound N11 between the Kilmacanogue exit Lil Doyles Pub exit is creating treacherous conditions.

In the city centre, there is flooding in Inchicore, Ballyfermot, Harold's Cross, Dolphin's Barn, Harringon Street, Harcourt Road and South Richmond Street. Carysfort Avenue in Blackrock is described as almost impassable due to severe flooding while heavy rain is also reported in nearby Monkstown and in Tallaght.

The Lower road at Strawberry Beds is now closed to all traffic.

I wonder if the lack of a clearance of some leaves would be a contributing factor in flooding tonight or is it a case of the system not been able to handle all that water in such a short space of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

rainfall starting to ease here....Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow border....noticably lighter than an hour ago. Sorry...not very scientific, I know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Ballyknockan, Co. Wicklow, today's total now 81mm. Seems to have slowed down a bit, but the streams and rivers are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Took that a few hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Serious deluge in the last 20 mins in Dalkey....heaviest ive seen in a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

patneve2 wrote: »
    Serious deluge in the last 20 mins in Dalkey....heaviest ive seen in a long time...

I think there is a sig squall line coming from the south in the next hour to finish things off.

Look at the SAT, have no access to NW Radar.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just at 80.6mm now since midnight. 48hr total of 123.7mm.

A lot of flooding in my estate and we are at a height. Can't imagine what it's like at lower levels!

Rain back to more normal (moderate) rates now. Rain rate of 13.2mm/hr atm.

• Advertisement

It's torrential and it just keeps going on....the event is closing with a real bang (dalkey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Almost stopped now here..I missed all the good stuff pre 6 o :clock due to being in the NW ..typical:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The water is about half an inch from flooding my apartment block now!

Here is the car park in the Merrion Shopping Centre around half an hour ago . . .

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/IMG_0380.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

emo72 wrote: »
    hope not. Kennys is my fave pub.

I just took a look at the Griffeen river upstream. It's extremely heavily flooded, but the flood relief works are protecting the estates that went underwater in 1999. Didn't try to get down to village as the surface flooding on some of the surrounding roads is not too tempting, but if the flood defences work in the village this time, then I don't think it will ever flood again.

Squall line is really dumping serious amounts of rain over south coastal dublin...dun laoghaire harbour accumulations have shot up to 70mm (i checked about an hour ago and it was at 45mm...)

Heaviest rain I've seen in years (in Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I think there is a sig squall line coming from the south in the next hour to finish things off.

Look at the SAT, have no access to NW Radar.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Looks to be the feeder producing the heavy precip in greater Dublin area.

179144.JPG

Squall line is really dumping serious amounts of rain over south coastal dublin...dun laoghaire harbour accumulations have shot up to 70mm (i checked about an hour ago and it was at 45mm...)

Heaviest rain I've seen in years (in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Intensity of the rain has eased here but still moderate falls, that you'd probably usually call heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Just drove home from the city center & I have never in my life seen the roads so bad from rain! The stillorgan dual carriageway is flooded with at least 1ft deep pool in on the inside lane under UCD bridge! Various new rivers & massive deep puddles all the way to carrickmines! Stopped on the way to get a chinese in cabinteely park & the water went past my ankles just outside the shop!

My boyfriend is on his way home to rathfarnham & says the dodder has burst its banks at the dropping well pub & is under 3 foot of water! a volkswagen golf has been washed out of the car park & is in the dodder & is up against the Bridge!!!!! it cant get through!!! WTF!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

In the words of Dougal Maguire: "God it's lovely out"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Getting heavier again

Newcastle Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

This is absolutely insane. This area of Terenure has never flooded before. The road all the gardens, I suspect its already in some neighbouring houses. The drains are competely inundated, turn on the tap and the drain gurgles - no leaves causing this problem, drains just cant cope with volume, also plumes of air bubbles coming up through the water over the driveway and lawn, making a loud hissing sound to compete with the sound of the deluge falling. Really hope this rain stops soon.

I'd seriously advise anyone living near flood prone rivers to get ready for a serious flood deluge if you haven't already got one, this is completely unprecented (in the last 40 years at least) even hurricane Charlie just produced a puddle at the doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Damn, i'm getting worried for my relatives on the other side of Ringsend near the Dodder, hope the flood relief works recently completed does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Severe flooding in Dun Laoghaire area, is this likely to clear by the morning?

Dalkey: torrential rain continues, not as bad as 10/15 minutes ago
    Dun Laoghiare harbour: 73 mm of rain, shot up loads in the last 30 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

Spent 45 minutes to go from Naas to Kill on the N7. Took 98fm warning of non-moving traffic between Kill and Rathcoole. Took the exit to Maynooth and drove on the M3 into Palmerstown. Roads were very tricky. Then got back on the M50 to go south bound to Tallaght. The very heavy traffic for both directions was the N7/M7. I wonder will the Liffey burst its banks with such heavy rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Just heard my brothers house is destroyed in Jobstown water is up to the counter tops and they have no electricity had to try salvage what they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

cant really make it up but heres the car in the dodder up against the bridge...too dark to take pic with camera phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

cormie wrote: »
    Severe flooding in Dun Laoghaire area, is this likely to clear by the morning?

Where abouts is the flooding? Might try head out and get some snaps

Advertisement