Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

996tt wrote: »
    Thats a very pointless post.

Oil companies charge different prices for different volumes/types of oil, therefore X might be cheapest for 500ltrs but Y might be cheaper for 1000ltrs so please give more info
    Pointless? I was asked a question and gave a precise answer. So if thats pointless i don't think you understand the purpose of boards.
    If you have a problem with my posts report them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

amiable wrote: »
    Pointless? I was asked a question and gave a precise answer. So if thats pointless i don't think you understand the purpose of boards.
    If you have a problem with my posts report them

sorry missed your earlier post:o

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

C(h)apest this morning is texoil for 500litres.

I rang the usual suspects, corrib,mor,jones all looking for arounf 375 and when pushed would only go to 365.

Texoil did it for 355.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

is it any cheaper to buy heating oil direct from the petrol station? i have been told the minimum fill from the lorry is 250? i dont have 250. my brother has a 150 litre diesel bouser that i could bring to the station and fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,947 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

jimini0 wrote: »
    is it any cheaper to buy heating oil direct from the petrol station? i have been told the minimum fill from the lorry is 250? i dont have 250. my brother has a 150 litre diesel bouser that i could bring to the station and fill it.

Put simply No is the answer sadly, most companies unfortunately have a minimum delivery requirement, they use the excuse of cost of transport etc. Going to a petrol station is a NO NO also, these are ideal for smaller quantities but you will pay through the nose for it. I would recommend you contact oil suppliers in your neck of the woods that have depot's. Discuss your dilemma and solution (Bouser), I'm sure if their depot is accessible they would be delighted to supply without the bother of delivery but be sure to agree a price per Litre in advance!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

prices quoted to me for 500ls

Claddagh - 370
    Top - 360
    Citybin - 360 (online)
    Texoil - 358 (online)
    Cosyhome - 370 dropped to 355

thanks dempo1
    i have contacted two companies and they say i can have it for 75cent a litre and no cheaper

bingo. i just met the oil lorry (i dont want to mention company) he was filling a tank up the road i explained the situation and he is coming over and putting in 100 euro worth for me. now that saves me any bother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bingo. i just met the oil lorry (i dont want to mention company) he was filling a tank up the road i explained the situation and he is coming over and putting in 100 euro worth for me. now that saves me any bother

How many litres is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A kind of a plug for Cosy Oil...

My friend was telling me that she ran out of oil over the weekend and rang around to see if anyone would deliver €100s worth. Everyone said no so she did without until Monday night when she and her son were freezing. She rang the Cosy Oil mobile number at 9 o clock Monday night and said they were very cold. Cosy oil delivered her €100 worth an hour later.

I'm not sure how much oil that is exactly but she was very grateful and I have to say Im impressed that some place came that quickly to help.

• Advertisement

A kind of a plug for Cosy Oil...

My friend was telling me that she ran out of oil over the weekend and rang around to see if anyone would deliver €100s worth. Everyone said no so she did without until Monday night when she and her son were freezing. She rang the Cosy Oil mobile number at 9 o clock Monday night and said they were very cold. Cosy oil delivered her €100 worth an hour later.

I'm not sure how much oil that is exactly but she was very grateful and I have to say Im impressed & grateful too that some place came that quickly to help.

i dont know how many litres that is but he did say he put a little extra in i was very greatful though

Glad you got sorted, the drivers are usually very reasonable if you catch them with a decent load. Really surprised the depots would not oblige, seems to me they would be thrilled to offer a deal based on no delivery cost! Hungry ****ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Rang around today

For 1000 litres of Kerosene

Mor Oil 715
    Jones Oil 704
    CosyHome 710
    Citybin 700
    Corrib Oil 700
    Claddagh Oil 700
    Top Oil 695
    Texoil 699
    Cloonan Oil 700

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Prices are rising nationally
    heatingoil-ireland-6monthsAvg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

McMahons last Saturday - 680 for 1000 litres of kerosene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GlitterAngel

Does anyone know what will happen with oil prices in budget next week? I presume everything will go up *sigh* but are there any indications as to how much?

Is it worth ordering now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Filled up today, I can't see it coming down next week for sure. We never fill up but decided with a baby on the way we'd need every bit of oil. Citybin all the way!

Whimsical - That was like my experience lately! Praise where praise is due and all that.

Actually that's why I registered here, I never post stuff but always give a read before ordering so I find this place super! Keep it coming please!

Does anyone know what will happen with oil prices in budget next week? I presume everything will go up *sigh* but are there any indications as to how much?

Is it worth ordering now?

I'm afraid you are caught in leaving it for the most expensive time to order oil (winter), sadly prices begin to rise from September. In addition our friends in the green party brought in a carbon tax on home heating oil (outrageous) and this tax is due to be doubled in the up coming budget. Worth pointing out that this time last year a 500lt fill was costing around €275, today anything from €350/€380, its Worth shopping around!

• Advertisement

Depressing news but thanks Demp1! I don't think I've ever known oil to come down in price now that I think about it!

Congrats on your good news gaeilgegrinds1, must be an exciting time. Poor baby wont want to come out in these weather conditions ... keep the heat on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Does anyone know any filling stations near the docks that supply kerosene? We're living in a student house so don't want to buy anymore then around 80L to do us until Christmas as there has been a few incidents around us where kerosene has been stolen.

Don't want around 300L in the tank in case it gets robbed over the 2-3 weeks we're not in the house!

Does anyone know any filling stations near the docks that supply kerosene? We're living in a student house so don't want to buy anymore then around 80L to do us until Christmas as there has been a few incidents around us where kerosene has been stolen.

Don't want around 300L in the tank in case it gets robbed over the 2-3 weeks we're not in the house!

You can get drums of kerosene from Galway Diesel Centre which is in Liosbaun, it's not too far from docks? something like 20/25 Litres and if you bring back the drum you'll get it filled for less the next time (obviously not paying the cost of the drum the next time). It was my backup plan a few weeks back but I ended up getting the delivery.

Actually .... my delivery was 100 litres so why not just get it delivered??? Save all the carting around of drums!

Are there locks for tanks?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

If you are buying from a filling station make sure that it is kerosene that you are getting and not Gas Oil. Gas Oil(aka agri diesel) is primarily for a boiler which has a chimney on a roof as gas oil is smokier so it will mark a wall which could lead to you losing your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The Texaco at the Docks sells both Agri Diesel & Kerosene by the litre (Pumps at the end of the forecourt)

As said above, make sure you don't mix the 2 up. Agri Diesel contains lubricants for fuel pumps so if you accidently use Kerosene in a diesel boiler you risk wearing out the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Actually .... my delivery was 100 litres so why not just get it delivered??? Save all the carting around of drums!

Are there locks for tanks?!

My housemates girlfriend lived in this area last year and she had her heating oil stolen, she had a lock on her tank so the theives decided to pierce the bottom of the tank instead! Shows they have no respect for anyone the bas**rds!

Thanks for the replies everyone, going to probably just order 100L today. Anyone know off the top of their head who the cheapest is at the moment and can deliver it quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, just a tip on my experiences with heating oil (kerosene) in the city.
    Normally we went with Corrib oil.
    Last month a text came in from City Bin saying they had a promotion to mark their entrance into the home heating oil market.
    I checked out their prices against other suppliers and they were ballpark similiar to the others as well as free bin fees for November.
    We got the oil, great service, great invoicing and easy to order. Will be going there again however.........

During the phase of checking out prices I found that one litre was roughly 70 cent at most of the suppliers.

While down at relatives in Claremorris over the weekend I found that the price for Kero there from one supplier was around 61 cent.

I've got to ask myself why the prices are so different between regions and are we getting shafted in Galway.

Just after ringing around now. Cheapest I found was Sutton oil at €430 for 600 liters , that's 71.666 c per liter. Claddagh Oil had been charging €450 for 600L but immediately offered to match the lower price. Only wish I'd been a bit braver with haggling over it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

About how much oil does the average 4 bedroom house in an estate burn per hour with the thermostat set to 25 degrees? This is with the radiators cold, ours only comes on for an hour every 2 or 3 hours, I know you wont know the exact figure but how much roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thargor wrote: »
    About how much oil does the average 4 bedroom house in an estate burn per hour with the thermostat set to 25 degrees? This is with the radiators cold, ours only comes on for an hour every 2 or 3 hours, I know you wont know the exact figure but how much roughly?

There are a huge amount of factors involved in figuring this out, none more so that the amount and type of windows/insulation/placement of rads and indeed the type/age of burner (I would think)

Advertisement