Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Padkir wrote: »
    Is it a firebird boiler you have? They're not too complicated. Don't think I'd be able to explain it in writing though, sorry!

You should just open it and try pressing the red button though with the power on, it will run for about 10 seconds, some will keep going and fire up due to having a tiger loop on them, if it just cuts out, you have an airlock, and theres a nut you need to open to let the air out. I wouldn't say anymore here though, because if you open the wrong one you could change settings for the level of oil coming in, etc. which could cause a lot of problems!

Yip, thats all thats wrong with it.
    Like the previous post said, there is an Allen key nut near the oil line that needs to be opened only a few turns when the boiler is fring up. You will see a bit of oil coming out with air bubbles, this is the air getting out too. This should keep the boiler burning instead of cutting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Getting Oil today from Corrib Oil costing me €725 for 1000 litres , City Bin where €730

As for the airlock , my firebird has a red metal cover that comes off and there is a nut to the bottom left when the cover is off that needs to be turned anti clockwise and when the boiler starts the air shoud come out and the fuel should start squirting out of it after a few seconds tighten it up again and should be sorted.

If that doesnt work there is a chance that the filter is clogged thats normally on the pipe off the tank "a small Glass Egg Cup sized thing" , this could be taken off by with a spanner of some sort and given a clean.

Always a good idea though to spend €70 and get your Boiler serviced once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Thanks for all the advice. It's too dark now but I'll take a look at the boiler in the shed tomorrow and see what can be done.

Figured it out, just had to lift up a box and press a button. Bleeding the radiators now. No more mini icicles in our jacks, thank Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Corrib Oil 20/12/10:

€380 for 500 litres kerosene

• Advertisement

Figured it out, just had to lift up a box and press a button. Bleeding the radiators now. No more mini icicles in our jacks, thank Christ!

Been on for an hour now, no heat off the radiators. I think the pipes are frozen, nooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sounds like they just need bleeding.

Thargor wrote: »
    Sounds like they just need bleeding.

I bled them.I used the key, a little water came out and then I tigtened it again. the radiators are making noise but that's about it.

Are you sure the valves are open at the bottom aswell? Thats about the limit of my knowledge, Im not an expert sorry.

Ya they were open. Just went out to the shed there and the boiler is shut down and won't turn on again all of a sudden. I give up. I texted the landlord to send someone out but he can be pretty lazy with his responses. Doomed to freeze for another while it seems.

• Advertisement

What you have no heat source at all? Its -10 according to my weather station here in Wellpark, invest in an electric blanket is my advice, best thing I ever bought, it only uses 45w according to my power meter but it keeps me toasty watching tv and internet in my room when our heats not on.

No don't have any heat source at all. We survided the cold sofar so I guess a little longer won't kill us. I texted the landlady and she gave me the number of a guy. Hopefully he'll answer the phone 2moro and fix the boiler. Heading home for Xmas anyway so at least I'll get some oilage in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

At least get a hot water bottle stiffler123. They're cheap and ...warm . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Are you sure the boiler stayed on for the hour. The boiler can turn off after a minute or so when that red button is pressed (it does with ours). I'd try bleeding the burner and leave the valve(ours looks like a long nut that comes out at an angle from the burner under that red cover) open till you get a good flow of oil. It might take a couple of goes at this to get it going. Its messy and a little wasteful on oil but if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

It's possible that your circulation pump is bejiggered sir. Did you bleed all of your rads? AFAIK you need to start at the top of the house and bleed upstairs rads moving to downstairs and repeat. Worth a go if you haven't tried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Online Prices @ 12h00 on the 05/01/2011

€390 for 500\l of Kerosene from Citybin.com
    €400.55 for 500\l of Kerosene from texoil.ie
    €404.74 for 500\l of Kerosene from top.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see everyone has upped their prices by 15-20% since Sept.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yup! Had to order today.

1000L from Texoil for €755

*goes to shed to try and master nuclear fusion*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yup! Had to order today.

1000L from Texoil for €755

*goes to shed to try and master nuclear fusion*

Hurry up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just ordered 361 litres for 300 from top.ie
    320 litres from texoil.ie for the same price, and 343 litres from corrib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just ordered 361 litres for 300 from top.ie
    320 litres from texoil.ie for the same price, and 343 litres from corrib.
    Did you haggle?

I hardly ever haggle. And having had a few hundred quids' worth of oil stolen, haggling for a tenner or so seems a bit pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I hardly ever haggle. And having had a few hundred quids' worth of oil stolen, haggling for a tenner or so seems a bit pointless.

That makes no sense.

I'm not putting you down. Its up to you if you want to haggle or not. I have to say that last time i got oil i saved a bit more than a tenner by haggling

amiable wrote: »
    Haggling is the key.
    I ordered this morning. Started off at 385 for 500litres.
    Got it down to 330.
    Thats 55euro better off in my pocket
    Just did a search there and this is my earlier post outlining how much i saved by haggling. Hope this helps people. My advice is be tough and insistent. Firm but fair. Remember there's always a price they won't go below so don't insult them either haha

Had the oil delivered this morn - docket says 346 litres delivered, as opposed to the 361 ordered yesterday. In future and/or retrospect, I'd order a quantity and agree on a price, methinks. The delivery guy was lovely and helpful though, so I won't complain about the 15 litres... One only ever has their word to go on re: the amount delivered in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Had the oil delivered this morn - docket says 346 litres delivered, as opposed to the 361 ordered yesterday. In future and/or retrospect, I'd order a quantity and agree on a price, methinks. The delivery guy was lovely and helpful though, so I won't complain about the 15 litres... One only ever has their word to go on re: the amount delivered in any case.

I would just give them a quick call. They should refund you when you explain the situation. I'm sure its happened before. Usually they have a carbon copy of the docket they gave you. So they can cross check against the order to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

€390 for 500lt from Naughtons of Annacotty this morning… ordered it yesterday afternoon at 4pm and delivered at 8.30am on the button this morn,
    Happy to hear the chap say there may be a price drop sooooooon :)

Didn’t haggle or check out other suppliers…. just took it at the first price they offered because I was dieing sick from a massive hangover :(

Anyways its 9.30am now and I’m off to cure “should say hold off” another hangover before I sober up.

its not easy being me

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

€390 for 500lt from Naughtons of Annacotty this morning… ordered it yesterday afternoon at 4pm and delivered at 8.30am on the button this morn,

Happy to hear the chap say there may be a price drop sooooooon

didn’t haggle or check out other suppliers…. just took it at the first price they offered because I was dieing sick from a massive hangover

Anyways its 9.30am now and I’m off to cure “should say hold off” another hangover before I sober up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Paid 395e for 500l[incl 47e vat] yesterday.To be used wisely and sparingly

Advertisement