Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you can get through the winter on 200L you must have a really well insulated house my friend. Most places around galway will give you 200L if you ring them up. Most suppliers in Galway haven't embraced the internet yet. 200L is only 140 euro though. 300L would be above €200 so you might get more quotes at that amount.

Not necessarily, the less you buy the more expensive it is per litre. example, gas oil: 200l is 83c/l, 500l is 71c/l, 1000l is 68c/l

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Well I don't spend very much time in the house so it's just going to be for an hour of heat here and there really. I think I'm just going to have to do a bit of old-fashioned ringing around to find out! Thanks though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

The only way i suppose is if you're there when they zero the clock on the meter outside the truck...then it should be 500 at the end.

so if you're not home you don't really know how much you're getting?
    anyway, anyone knows latest prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

I called texoil and quoted me 350 for 500 liters even that www.cheapestoil.ie showed them at 345.
    Claddagh oil 360
    Corrib 350
    Top oil 355
    City bin 350 - online quote.

I'm all set for another while now. I ordered online for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I ordered 900 L from Texoil yesterday at 64.5 cents/L. Nice lady on the telephone and had my tank filled within an hour of calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

bikr wrote: »
    I called texoil and quoted me 350 for 500 liters even that www.cheapestoil.ie showed them at 345.
    Claddagh oil 360
    Corrib 350
    Top oil 355
    City bin 350 - online quote.

I'm all set for another while now. I ordered online for tomorrow.

You could have gone with Jones Oil for €342.50 on www.cheapestoil.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Got 327 lt for €250 with Jones Oil- booked online, delivered following morning

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Just ordered 500l kerosene from Cosyhome for €340. Was cheaper than Citybin, Corrib and Texoil who quoted €350 (incl. Citybin discount) and Claddagh quoted me €360.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SHOPIN

Seaneh wrote: »
    Trying to order 300l for me and my house mates. 4 of us here, house empty all day and we'd often all be gone for weekends so 300l is plenty for now anyway, cheapest two were cladagh at €216 and citybin at €220 then Noughtons at €225 (all per 300l). however citybin then give use a discount on our bin service that would save us more than the €4 difference between themselves and cladagh.

So for anyone ordering a small amount (students, people living alone, commuters etc) I reckon city bin is your best bet, if you also happen to use them for your waste, cladagh otherwise.

I came across Elite Oil Tuam, 500 ltr's for 330 euro, 1000 ltr's 660 euro their phone number is xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Today............
    Claddagh €500 735l
    Cosyhome €500 740l
    City bin €514 735l price icnluding online discount and someother discount full price was €529.20

Hope this helps anyone ordering soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

must be my lucky day today :D
    we ordered €300 worth of oil for the house yesterday from corrib oil, and he arrived today. i expected it to be something around 400L, but he went back to check the tank, and watching the meter, i saw that it went up past 400, but it didn't stop til 495L when he stopped the flow. guy was real nice about it and let us have it for €300 (what we ordered) so we got an extra 100L for free, working out cheaper than every price i've seen here at 60.6c/L

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Which offer the best value for students, we only have around €200 to spend on oil so its not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You'll probably find that they don't give a hoot if you are Bono nevermind students:D. The less you buy the more per litre it will cost you, it's a case of shopping around. The same as us mere normals have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

500 Litres of Kerosene:

Claddagh oil - €360
    Corrib - €385
    Top oil - €355
    City bin - €360
    Texoil - €359.70 (online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GlitterAngel

Hi

I got minimum delivery (€100) from a company called Cosyhome Heating last week. I work during the day, only phoned after work around 5pm and he was with me that evening! Really impressed with service as I'm usually waiting in for a day or 2 with other places which is really annoying.

If you are phoning, speak with Pat, he was really helpful. I hadn't a clue what oil to order! The minimum amount suits me as I'm renting. Other places would only delivery €250.

I passed on the number to a friend of mine as she was having trouble getting the boiler working, that same guy Pat called and serviced it for her. Still getting it from Cosyhome. Happy Days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If you are phoning, speak with Pat, he was really helpful. I hadn't a clue what oil to order! .

Howya Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GlitterAngel

mikom wrote: »
    Howya Pat.

I meant on the phone duh! and I thought I was blonde haha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw a McMahon labelled tanker doing a residential delivery in town today, which I thought was odd as they are passed in Kinvara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

id recomend cosyhome too, very flexible with delivery times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

snubbleste wrote: »
    I saw a McMahon labelled tanker doing a residential delivery in town today, which I thought was odd as they are passed in Kinvara.

Not from Galway but i have noticed oil companies are abandoning the local delivery concept, business is tight and very competitive. I live in a very rural spot and have noticed companies not even based in my county delivering locally. I shopped around and got a 500lt delivery for €340 last week. Haggle is the key, i started at an outrageous €385. I looked at what i paid exactly this time last year and it was €275, Jezzz what a jump in 12 months:eek:

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not from Galway but i have noticed oil companies are abandoning the local delivery concept, business is tight and very competitive. I live in a very rural spot and have noticed companies not even based in my county delivering locally. I shopped around and got a 500lt delivery for €340 last week. Haggle is the key, i started at an outrageous €385. I looked at what i paid exactly this time last year and it was €275, Jezzz what a jump in 12 months:eek:

Wouldnt say they are abandoning local deliveries, you make it sound like the mafia:p. Usually with an oil company they will only deliver if its worth their while after taking into account their costs, ie no point going all the way to cliften from Galway for one load of 200ltrs vs delivering 10 deliveries of 200ltrs to one location.

Anyway with Galway city Id say most of the heating companies based in galway county would deliver there as they are in galway city every day as thats where most would get their loads from

Dempo1 wrote: »

Wouldnt say they are abandoning local deliveries, you make it sound like the mafia:p. Usually with an oil company they will only deliver if its worth their while after taking into account their costs, ie no point going all the way to cliften from Galway for one load of 200ltrs vs delivering 10 deliveries of 200ltrs to one location.

Anyway with Galway city Id say most of the heating companies based in galway county would deliver there as they are in galway city every day as thats where most would get their loads from

BTW id recomend topping up now, itll get a small bit dearer as we get close to christmas and also the carbon levy is increasing

996tt wrote: »

BTW id recomend topping up now, itll get a small bit dearer as we get close to christmas and also the carbon levy is increasing

No, your missing my point, i was not suggesting manoply, mafia tatics etc. My point is i have seen oil companies becomming more competitive and having to take whatever business is out there, for example I live near enough to Portlaoise, last year i rang around and was told by three different companies they would not deliver to my location, FULL STOP!

Low and behold a year later not only are these companies delivering locally but my letter box is stuffed with special offers etc from companies who stated a year previously they would not deliver to my area. Infact this year i got my oil from a company not even in the county!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Haggling is the key.
    I ordered this morning. Started off at 385 for 500litres.
    Got it down to 330.
    Thats 55euro better off in my pocket

amiable wrote: »
    Haggling is the key.
    Got it down to 330.

WOW, what a deal, well done:D, my point exactly re haggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Haggling is the key.
    Got it down to 330.

Where ?

I don't think I'm much of a haggler but for 55 quid I'd try .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Corrib Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

Chap in our estate sent an email to the other householders to see if they need a fill and to organise a bulk delivery. Worked out at 320 for 500l.

• Advertisement

Corrib Oil

Thats a very pointless post.

Oil companies charge different prices for different volumes/types of oil, therefore X might be cheapest for 500ltrs but Y might be cheaper for 1000ltrs so please give more info

Advertisement