Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Currently
    citybin (for customers) 300L = 258 euro
    500L = 395 euro

top.ie 300L = 255 euro
    500L = 415 euro

jonesoil 300L = 265 euro
    500L = 402 euro

texoil 300L = 288 euro
    500L = 400 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I just ordered today with Corrib Oil again and the best he would give me is 500 litres for 390 euro.
    I was expecting to haggle for a better deal but this time he wouldn't come below that

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

My tank is almost empty so I’ve decided to do my homework this time.
    Corib oil ************** 785 (1000) ********* 412.5 (500) https://www.corriboil.com/modules/CorribOil/OrderingSystem.aspx?TreeID=68
    Top Oil **************** 785.08 (1000) *** 415.24 (500) https://www.top.ie/OrderOil.aspx
    Texoil ****************** 775 (1000) ********* 410 (500) http://www.texoil.ie/Galway/
    City Bin ************** 770 (1000) ********* 400(500) http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=customer-order
    Jones Oil ************ 785(1000) ********** 412.5 (500) https://www.jonesoil.ie/order-online/
    Suttons Oil ******** 812 (1000) ********* 415 (500) http://www.suttonsoil.ie/
    So far City Bin are the cheapest.
    Do you know other prices?
    Do you think the prices will come down soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Oil is really start to price itself out of the market as a energy/heat source?

How can anyone realistically afford to carry on using oil as a heat source?

Ive moved over to using my oil for an hour in the morning to heat water and house, then during the day light a fire using timber and if need be pop on a electrical fan heater in a cold room.

I see the UK government have admitted action needs to be taken to reduce the price to the customer, I wonder if it will be admitted here by our government?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Electricity is the most expensive form of heat, what we need are heating systems with a lot more zones so you are only heating parts of the house that need heating. This is not an option for currently built houses as it would involve major renovation work

The other best alternative is insulate, insulate, insulate. It really is the best thing you can spend money on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    Currently
    citybin (for customers) 300L = 258 euro
    500L = 395 euro
    euro

Just an FYI that this is not just for customers, though they 'promo' it as such'. There is an 'online' discount of a fiver, but a non customer will get the same price through the site (there is a field on there for a 'promotional discount', but that no longer applies).

Same price for customers/non-customers

When I 'busted' them for this on the phone the other day (I am a customer, and was trying to get a further discount than the one offered on the website), the lady said defensively 'well nearly all the website bookers are already customers' :rolleyes:

Have at it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

snaps wrote: »
    Oil is really start to price itself out of the market as a energy/heat source?

How can anyone realistically afford to carry on using oil as a heat source?

Ive moved over to using my oil for an hour in the morning to heat water and house, then during the day light a fire using timber and if need be pop on a electrical fan heater in a cold room.

I see the UK government have admitted action needs to be taken to reduce the price to the customer, I wonder if it will be admitted here by our government?

Its an interesting point but in reality Oil if used wisely is in fact quite cheap, I spent some time last year analyzing my usage, 3 Bedroom cottage, well insulated but open plan (not a wise move on renovating). Turned off rads in Bedrooms not being used and had heating on an average of 8 hrs daily @ 60/65 degrees. Oil purchased back then was €275 for 500 liters (Seems like a distant memory). Anyway, measuring per week and calculating usage against cost it worked out at an astonishing €27 per week. Fair enough prices have risen and i know every house is different but even if it was costing €40 per week it represents great value.

If you consider coal costing nearly €12 a bag, Briquet's, wood, turf etc and the hassle with storage, cleaning etc i doubt you could run a fire or stove for €40 per week. Gas i believe is also horrendously expensive and not an option for most rural locations. Finally, I also used to use a Gas Super Ser as back up but cylinders are now costing €30 a go and i doubt one would last a couple of days.

So the moral of the story, yes shop around, Purchase your oil in the summer, insure house is well insulated and most importantly have your Boiler serviced yearly with Jets checked, my Plumber advised (and he was correct) a well maintained boiler is far more economical to run!

Fingers crossed the summer will be sooner than later, down to 1/3 of a tank!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

bikr wrote: »
    My tank is almost empty so I’ve decided to do my homework this time.
    Corib oil ************** 785 (1000) ********* 412.5 (500) https://www.corriboil.com/modules/CorribOil/OrderingSystem.aspx?TreeID=68
    Top Oil **************** 785.08 (1000) *** 415.24 (500) https://www.top.ie/OrderOil.aspx
    Texoil ****************** 775 (1000) ********* 410 (500) http://www.texoil.ie/Galway/
    City Bin ************** 770 (1000) ********* 400(500) http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=customer-order
    Jones Oil ************ 785(1000) ********** 412.5 (500) https://www.jonesoil.ie/order-online/
    Suttons Oil ******** 812 (1000) ********* 415 (500) http://www.suttonsoil.ie/
    So far City Bin are the cheapest.
    Do you know other prices?
    Do you think the prices will come down soon?

I bought 1000 ltrs from Corrib Oil on the 2nd week of Dec for 695 Euros.

If the prices roughly correlate to the price of diesel & petrol on the forecourt, then the thread on Fuel Prices in the Irish Economy Forum does not make for good reading at all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056149306

According to this, some reports say that petrol will increase shortly to between 1.50 - 1.60 per litre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Woohoo
    Hello inflation!

The average price for 1000l heating oil is now approaching €800 nationally

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Evening All,

Paid €400 for 500 litres today. Bought from Corrib Oil Tuam...... would not budge a bit on price.

• Advertisement

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening All,

Paid €400 for 500 litres today. Bought from Corrib Oil Tuam...... would not budge a bit on price.

Not to bad, seems prices are over the €400 mark for 500 litres nationally, just looked at an old receipt for exactly this time last year! Wait for it!

€275 for 500 litres! and the government tell us the cost of living is reducing? my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Was only looking for a top up today,
    Rang my usual Corrib Oil €300 for 330 litres...can't believe how the price has shot up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The other best alternative is insulate, insulate, insulate. It really is the best thing you can spend money on
    You run into a problem with the more modern builds though in that a lot (most?) of them have a hole knocked in the wall of every room for "ventilation purposes", and a plastic grille screwed over the top of that. I've no idea what value insulation is meant to bring when you've multiple direct holes to the cold outside in your house. We had to plug the one in the dining room because of the whistling gale coming through it every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Paid 395e for 500l[incl 47e vat] yesterday.To be used wisely and sparingly

I paid 320 for same in November from low cosyhome heating, galway. 091 766200 ask for pat. Dunno what it is since budget though. You ca always haggle. best thing is when you r stuck they do a 100 minimun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just came across this on AAM.

Boilerjuice is owned by DCC (ie Emo Oil crowd) AND have been accused of profiteering.

http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/uk-he...%E2%80%9D0117/

"In November, a UK heating oil blog listed 38 heating oil suppliers, implying that their prices appear on boilerjuice and claiming all 38 companies were owned by DCC, thereby impugning any appearance of competition among listed dealers driving down prices. However, the claims made on the blog could not be verified. But if the accusations made against DCC and boilerjuice are even partially true—that a majority of heating oil suppliers whose prices are listed on the site are owned by the same corporation that owns the site itself—the independence and reliability of the site should be questioned and closely examined."

The only way I'd trust a price comparison site is by knowing who owned it and also knowing if the companies they pushed had different work practices etc e.g. owner-drivers or whatever, that would explain the better pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Is there anywhere that will sell you 50 or 100 litres? I'm out of oil and don't have the money to fork out the 200 quid minimum.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    You run into a problem with the more modern builds though in that a lot (most?) of them have a hole knocked in the wall of every room for "ventilation purposes", and a plastic grille screwed over the top of that. I've no idea what value insulation is meant to bring when you've multiple direct holes to the cold outside in your house. We had to plug the one in the dining room because of the whistling gale coming through it every year.

Excellent point, Whilst i appreciate it is the law with new builds (ventilation in all rooms), i am astonished at something i observed over the winter. My own house is over 200 years old so no problems re vents but my girlfriend rents a new build house and its impossible to keep warm. Its a standard 4 bed (to box rooms, big enough for a small cat), she put in 500 liters in September, another 300 liters in December, another 200 in January and at this stage were filling 2 x 20 Litre drums a week and keeping heating at a minimum. Thank god out local supplier charges the same price for drums and bulk delivery.

I put the problem down to these cheap and nasty plastic grates over ventilation openings all over the house. The only remedy seems to be replacing them with ones that can be closed but i doubt the landlord will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Try cosyhome heating, just ordered 500 ltrs for €390, cheapest I could find in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Thanks for that. Cosyhome said they'd deliver 85 litres for 100 quid. I know it's cheaper to buy in bulk but a bit broke this month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I always phone around and get multiple quotes. For the record, here's what I was quoted today.

Cent per litre incl VAT for a delivery of 500 litres.
    Cosy Home 78
    Corrib Oil 78
    Texoil 80
    McMahon 80
    City Bin Co. 80
    Mor Oil 80
    Sutton 81
    Jones Oil 82
    Galway Oil 82
    Top Oil 83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

dafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Cosyhome said they'd deliver 85 litres for 100 quid. I know it's cheaper to buy in bulk but a bit broke this month!

Citybin does 100 litres for 102-103 euro.
    I got oil from them recently 500 for 390€. Excelent service.
    I wasn't sure if I need to bleed the boiler or not and the driver checked it for me. He was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Online checking this morning for 500 litres. Did anyone find better than Sutton?

Sutton €399.50
    Texoil €405
    Jones €410
    top.ie €410
    citybin €410
    corrib oil €410

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Online checking this morning for 500 litres. Did anyone find better than Sutton?

Sutton €399.50
    Texoil €405
    Jones €410
    top.ie €410
    citybin €410
    corrib oil €410

After seeing your post here I rang Suttons to place an order and their price over the phone was 1.4c cheaper than online price for 600L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

leex wrote: »
    After seeing your post here I rang Suttons to place an order and their price over the phone was 1.4c cheaper than online price for 600L.

its always worth ringing, you have nothing to lose, it could be as simple as they are already going to your area for another delivery so they will give you a competitive quote as they have covered their truck/driver costs in the first delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Due to lots of oil thefts in recent times I always order the minimum I can at the lowest price per litre so I'm not penalised on litre price for ordering less than a full tank. From talking to Suttons today once you go over 400euro for a domestic fill the price per litre remains the same. From my previous supplier I had to order roughly 50% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Thanks for the advice guys....I rang Sutton and asked how much 500 litres was.
    I think she said €405

I said that it was €399.50 online through cheapestoil.ie so she matched that.

Then asked how much extra would I need to get a the cheapest price per litre which is currentlly 78c

So had to up it to 550 litres at a total price of €429

That's probably as good as I can get anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I was delayed in ordering oil because of a bank hold-up.

I mean I was held up by the bank! Took a few days to deliver and activate a laser card for a new current account.

In the meantime, one of the cheapest quotes I got earlier (78 cent from Corrib on Feb 1) had gone up by 3 cent/litre, and there's another 1.6 cent going on at midnight tonight!

They're blaming it on the unrest in Egypt.

I ordered it from Cosy Home at the 78c they quoted me on Feb 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Xantras

Hi, I ordered off Texoil, I'm in headford road area and got it just now, they charged me 400, which was cheaper than any other crowd, I rang suttons and they wanted 405 tried to mention about the 399.50 they said price was gone up and wont change it. Found teexoil pretty good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Top.ie have an ad in the advertiser today using code GA0311 saving €20 off 1000l bringing it to €755.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 skdb

11.02.2011 (500Litres Kero)
    • TexOil - €410.00
    • Corrib Oil - €400.00
    • Claddagh Oil Co - €390.00
    • Top Sweeney/Rabbitt Oil/East Galway Oil/Hi-Way Oil - €415.00
    • The OIL Company - €385.00
    • CosyHome Heating - €400.00
    • Suttons Oil - €410.00
    The OIL Company get my order for the 3rd time running :-)
    (Dont forget to hagle)

Advertisement