Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Corrib oil were the cheapest for me, worked out at 68c a litre yesterday (I got 690l to fill the tank)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

72 c over phone and 70.5 c done online, plus half off price of next bill, is that good? City Bin that is.

Interesting, however City Bin fail to mention whether it is 50% off the yearly bill (I pay yearly) or 50% off the monthly invoice they send me!!

50% off the yearly bill is a great deal (as long as the Oil is competitive).
    50% off the monthly invoice amount is meaningless.

http://www.citybin.com/cms/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry Biko, just read your post there! Are they competitive?

360 seems to be about the rate at the moment. Saw someone mention 345 above.
    For me as a CB customer it comes to 352.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Interesting, however City Bin fail to mention whether it is 50% off the yearly bill (I pay yearly) or 50% off the monthly invoice they send me!!

50% off the yearly bill is a great deal (as long as the Oil is competitive).
    50% off the monthly invoice amount is meaningless.

http://www.citybin.com/cms/
    it says 50% off your next household waste BILL so I'd imagine it's monthly which is when you actually get your bill.
    You may pay anually but your still billed monthly.

Nice incentive though seeing as they are competitive with oil prices (€0.68per litre) It'll still save me about a tenner off my next refuse bill so happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Got quotes today for 500 litres of green diesel (which I notice seems to be a bit dearer than kerosene at present) as follows:

Phone quotes
    Claddagh Oil 091 554455 €385
    Garbally 090 9644147 €385
    Mór Oil 1800 667 645 €375
    Suttons Oil 091 562782 €365

Web quotes:
    Jones Oil €354.50
    Texoil €361.25

Didn't bother to phone the former cartel operators such as Corrib Oil, Hi-Way or Sweeney, they're not getting any business off me.

I ended up ordering from a new crowd, Cosyhome, on the basis that I was getting diesel for €340, except that it turned out to be kerosene (see post below)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

As far as I see these are the cheapest at the moment for 1000L Kerosene

Web quote: Jones Oil €635

Others I tried just now on the Phone
    Corrib Oil €670
    CosyHome €660

(used to deal with excelsior but the number doesn't appear to be working)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Just got my delivery from Cosyhome, checked the docket and realised they were after delivering Kerosene, not the Green Diesel I asked for. I rang them and he said there'd be no problem, it would burn fine without any adjustment to the boiler and would be cleaner than the Diesel, but a few old threads on here contradict that opinion. Anyone know what the story is? Presumable there was some Diesel left in the tank so there's a mixture in there now anyway, which I presume isn't ideal.

Either way I feel like he pulled a little bit of a fast one, it certainly explains why he was so much cheaper than all the others, although I reckon €340 is still probably competitive for Kerosone (Jones are quoting €337). Will edit my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I didn't know about Jones' Oil. That's a new one.

Excelsior Oil is gone (I think it was bought out). I rang around the usual cartel folks to find the price of 1000 litres of Kerosene. Interesting development was that not once did I receive the Inquisition*** (see bottom of post) this time!!

Anywez, here are the prices I was given for 1000 litres of kerosene:

Connell Oil (=Texoil Oil = Connolly Oil ): €660
    Corrib Oil (=Maxoll Oil = Kelly Oil ): €670 (offered to reduce to €660 when I asked what their best price was)
    Mór Oil (=Texaco Oil ): €670 (offered to reduce to €660 when I asked what their best price was)
    Hi-Way Oil (=Top Oil = Sweeney Oil = Rabbitt Oil ): €665

As you can see, plus ca change and all of that...

***http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055453146

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Got 500 litres for 330 euro off Martin Naughton Oil a few days ago. A bit of haggling involved.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Got 500 litres for 330 euro off Martin Naughton Oil a few days ago. A bit of haggling involved.
    Sounds good, do you have a number for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

biko wrote: »
    Sounds good, do you have a number for them?

087-xxx

DeadSkin wrote: »
    087-xxx
    Thanks mate will give him a buzz now.
    I edited the number out as it's a private number.
    PM me or Deadskin if anyone wants it.

Edit
    Rang him there, got 500 for 340 delivered tomorrow.
    He said he couldn't have gone as low as 330.
    Anyway, still cheaper than Citybin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goatboy1

Just priced kerosene in Galway City,

Got €335 from Corrib Oil and Claddagh Oil for 500 litres of kerosene,
    Claddagh Oil couldnt deliver today so i ordered from Corrib.
    Most of the other prices were €€340 or 345

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

biko wrote: »
    Thanks mate will give him a buzz now.
    I edited the number out as it's a private number.
    PM me or Deadskin if anyone wants it.

Edit
    Rang him there, got 500 for 340 delivered tomorrow.
    He said he couldn't have gone as low as 330.
    Anyway, still cheaper than Citybin.

could send me the number in a pm there when ya get a chance biko?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Trying to order 300l for me and my house mates. 4 of us here, house empty all day and we'd often all be gone for weekends so 300l is plenty for now anyway, cheapest two were cladagh at €216 and citybin at €220 then Noughtons at €225 (all per 300l). however citybin then give use a discount on our bin service that would save us more than the €4 difference between themselves and cladagh.

So for anyone ordering a small amount (students, people living alone, commuters etc) I reckon city bin is your best bet, if you also happen to use them for your waste, cladagh otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

€645 for 1000l Kerosene from Corrib Oil, Jones Oil and Texoil rang me back to beat it with €640 for same. Ordered on the spot, paid by credit card and now I don't have to even be there for the delivery, as long as he can get into the tank, which he can. Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Corrib Oil were quoting €670 for 1000 liters of Kerosene but dropped it to €650 once I mentioned city bin were doing the same for €655

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 atticusfrost

Bah, dealing with these guys would give you a toothache.

Looking for €250 worth of Kerosene.

Corrib Oil- 305litres
    Claddagh- 330 litres
    Mór Oil- Originally 310 but jumped it to 335 when I mentioned Claddagh and promised next day delivery. Would have delivered it today only for no one around the house to pay them.

Moral of the story is haggle haggle haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Just got Corrib oil for €340 for 500 litres. Most others i tried quoted €355.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Just got Corrib oil for €340 for 500 litres. Most others i tried quoted €355.

Go to http://www.cheapestoil.ie/ and you will get Jones oil for €337.50 for 500 litres
    I always use that site now as it will tell you the cheapest for that day. Always a better price than ringing around as far as I can see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Go to http://www.cheapestoil.ie/ and you will get Jones oil for €337.50 for 500 litres
    I always use that site now as it will tell you the cheapest for that day. Always a better price than ringing around as far as I can see
    Not always. They only display prices that are available online. If some company doesn't have a website, they might be cheaper
    Unfortunately CheapestOil.ie only displays prices from suppliers that publish their prices publically online.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Not always. They only display prices that are available online. If some company doesn't have a website, they might be cheaper

Well I haven't seen cheaper prices being quoted here from people that have rung up companies

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

Do Jones Oil deiver in the City?
    last time i checked they weren't.

i just wonder how do you know that 500 liters is really 500?

bikr wrote: »
    Do Jones Oil deiver in the City?
    last time i checked they weren't.

i just wonder how do you know that 500 liters is really 500?

Yeah they do. I've used them maybe twice before.

The only way i suppose is if you're there when they zero the clock on the meter outside the truck...then it should be 500 at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I got oil for 63 cent per litre from Gorbally Oil in Ballinasloe delivered free to the city centre. Best quote I got for 300/euro worth of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Does anyone know who is cheapest/best for home heating oil in Galway city? I want to get 200l if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

benjamin d wrote: »
    Does anyone know who is cheapest/best for home heating oil in Galway city? I want to get 200l if that makes a difference.

Its dejavu all over again. :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055397193

You could at least make an effort to have a look in the most recent page or two of posts, or do a quick "search this forum".

Merged with big thread

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Sorry, I realise I look like a complete doofus now, honestly didn't see this thread but I was wondering why noone had already asked this, my bad! Places online seem to only give a quote for more than what I want though, which is 200l max. Thats loads to get me through the winter so I don't want to get anymore. Is there any huge difference in price if I'm only getting that amount or should I just go with anyone at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

benjamin d wrote: »
    Sorry, I realise I look like a complete doofus now, honestly didn't see this thread but I was wondering why noone had already asked this, my bad! Places online seem to only give a quote for more than what I want though, which is 200l max. Thats loads to get me through the winter so I don't want to get anymore. Is there any huge difference in price if I'm only getting that amount or should I just go with anyone at all?

If you can get through the winter on 200L you must have a really well insulated house my friend. Most places around galway will give you 200L if you ring them up. Most suppliers in Galway haven't embraced the internet yet. 200L is only 140 euro though. 300L would be above €200 so you might get more quotes at that amount.

Advertisement