Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Posting here after seeing a thread on after hours about vegetarianism and one of the mods suggested folk should post here.

I am off meat 3 months. I am not the strictest vegetarian, I dont eat meat ever, but will have cheese and have only found out Guinness and some other beers use fish by-products. I dont mind that, I would not call myself a pescatarian though, I always hated fish and never eat it, but take cod-liver oil for lubricating my joints.

The year prior going veggie, I only had meat once every 10 days or so. The thing that tipped me going full veggie was eating a chicken sweet and sour and feeling sick the next 3 or 4 days. I think my stomach was getting used to not eating meat as I had it so infrequently.

I'd say some of the veggie and vegan purists would look down on me. I dont mind, I am happy with who I am. I am one part in the cog in getting down global warming by not eating meat. Also another reason for me going off meat was an excellent documentary called Forks over Knives. Led me to question whether eating meat is healthy.

Anyway, apologies for the slightly rambling post. Hope you're all well :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome to the forum, any questions ask away or just have an aul chat. Only assholes who are not worth your time would look down on you, it's about doing what you are comfortable with. The oil is tricky, because the only good one I can see for veggies is fairly expensive. http://www.opti3omega.com/ 14 euro per month.

Came in to say we ate in the happy pear in greystones today, that was amazing veggie food...like a much better version of cornucopia really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I dont mind, I am happy with who I am.

^^ And that is all that matters!

Welcome Pride.

As for the oil mentioned above, I find a combination of Flax oils and a diet including seeds gives me enough omegas 3,6 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Welcome to the forum pride fighter, I think you'll find that most of us over here are pretty easy-going and respect the fact that there are varying degrees of vegetarianism, I think it's like any kind of identity....religious, sexual w/e, it's not black and white and how you identify with stuff like that is all very personal, nobody can tell you you aren't a vegetarian because you're sitting on a leather couch or you're not using 100% cruelty free products etc. There is no rule book you know, like you said you have to just be happy with who you are.

moonbaby etsy has the same effect on me, makes me want to go all wifey and buy a sowing machine :pac:

My first time in wagamamas today, really nice and I'm stuffed hours and hours later :) Also had orange and ginger rekorderlig there which was amazin, anyone ever see that for sale anywhere coz I need it now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Note to non-vegetarians. If you are planning to go somewhere for my birthday, please do not choose a seafood restaurant with a selection of 2 or 3 after-thought veggie side dishes. Don't be surprised when I quietly and politely decline.

/now that's off my chest

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Note to non-vegetarians. If you are planning to go somewhere for my birthday, please do not choose a seafood restaurant with a selection of 2 or 3 after-thought veggie side dishes. Don't be surprised when I quietly and politely decline.

/now that's off my chest

Oh dear! Hope you're still making plans and get to do something for your birthday.

hows all the veggies doin otherwise?

have a had a busy few weeks surviving on a lot of double espressos, thankfully this is the last mental week for a while. hows u?

/now that's off my chest

Not to suggest that it isn't a f up.
    But it is still awesome that someone would make that kind of effort for your birthday.
    I think they deserved some kind of explanation tbh.
    They are only trying to please you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

--LOS-- wrote: »
    hows all the veggies doin otherwise?
    Exams are too close for comfort, but I'm getting on grand, thanks :) Tried cooking some soya mince tonight for the first time, it was interesting...

And how are ye?

Is interesting a good thing MoN?

I'm grand too. Off to Vienna the week after next.
    According to trip advisor, the best restaurant in the city is veggie.

http://www.tian-vienna.com/

Never been to a proper sit down, vegetarian place. Well unless you count Juice.
    So I'm really excited.

Hoping there is going to be lots of Milka in Austria too :P

How is everyone today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Not to suggest that it isn't a f up.
    But it is still awesome that someone would make that kind of effort for your birthday.
    I think they deserved some kind of explanation tbh.
    They are only trying to please you.

I've been veggie for 25 years and made my issues made known many times before. At this stage it is taking the proverbial. There's also a bit more to it which makes it worse. Even my most ardent meat eating friends are scratching their heads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's ridiculous tbh, do they know you at all like...

Report back on that restaurant moonbaby, sounds nice! There was a fabulous one in barcelona. It's really nice to have a fancy vegetarian restaurant.

How's everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hoping there is going to be lots of Milka in Austria too :P

Is Milka vegetarian? There's nothing on the label saying so and when I tried looking online I found a page saying no but not why. I'm going to go fully veggie when I get home and I'd like to know if I can shove a load in my suitcase or not. (Based on the amount of Milka in Spain there will be loooooaaaaaads in Austria).

I would have said Milka would be veggie, however I googled a little a found this,.
    http://www.evi.com/q/is_milka_vegetarian

This doesn't make sense? Whey powder I thought was derived from the cheese making process but before the contact with rennet?

EDIT: Just researched a bit more there, IT seems Whey can come with rennet or without, some brands use rennet in their way, Mars were about to change to rennet whey but changed their mind, see here "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6673549.stm"

SO it seems MILKA could infact use Whey that contains calf rennet, You could email them yourself to make double sure, but it seems :(

2ND EDIT:
    http://www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=237

it is listed here as calf rennet

I've been veggie for 25 years and made my issues made known many times before. At this stage it is taking the proverbial. There's also a bit more to it which makes it worse. Even my most ardent meat eating friends are scratching their heads.

Sounds messy. :/

That's ridiculous tbh, do they know you at all like...

Report back on that restaurant moonbaby, sounds nice! There was a fabulous one in barcelona. It's really nice to have a fancy vegetarian restaurant.

How's everybody?

Oh Was it the Organic place?
    Did you like barcelona.....I've been meaning to go back.
    My friend went earlier this year, she said it a little rough now. :(

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I would have said Milka would be veggie, however I googled a little a found this,.
    http://www.evi.com/q/is_milka_vegetarian

This doesn't make sense? Whey powder I thought was derived from the cheese making process but before the contact with rennet?

EDIT: Just researched a bit more there, IT seems Whey can come with rennet or without, some brands use rennet in their way, Mars were about to change to rennet whey but changed their mind, see here "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6673549.stm"

SO it seems MILKA could infact use Whey that contains calf rennet, You could email them yourself to make double sure, but it seems :(

2ND EDIT:
    http://www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=237

it is listed here as calf rennet

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not my Milka! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anything but the Milka! :(

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not my Milka! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anything but the Milka! :(

I know, It's a dark day.

Oh Was it the Organic place?
    Did you like barcelona.....I've been meaning to go back.
    My friend went earlier this year, she said it a little rough now. :(
    It was called http://www.teresacarles.com/
    Pics may be seen bottom half of this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80742878&postcount=76
    and this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80742897&postcount=77

Nicest place I've ever eaten by a mile, they had their own brands of oil, balsamic vinegar, wine etc which was cool. Drooling thinking about it. Even that cheese cake with honey candied walnuts was the nicest dessert I;ve ever had.

Barcelona was great! Was there a week and didn't get to do a fraction of all the things or see a lot of things. Would love to go back, was really fun. Cheap 4 star hotel too! A lot of people do get robbed but I'd say it's their own fault, sure nobody even stood close enough to me to rob me while I was there. My brother did see somebody getting robbed when he was there but that is because people just leave wallets/cameras on their table...outside. At night it was just mostly people asking us if we wanted to 'disco party' and selling us beer.

there was a great nightclub there razzmatazz, had 5 types of music dancefloors and a few floors in the building. They open so late there.

I'd go back if I was you! Can't wait to myself, it's also nice being warm!

MILKA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The absolute mess of worms I've opened by starting a thread entitled "any vegans on here" in health & fitness. O well, I should know better than to mention Vegan or Vegetarian anywhere outside of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I emailed a restaurant ages ago about one of the 'vegetarian' pasta dishes including pesto. they thanked me for letting them know and said they had already updated the menus in the restaurant and would be updating the site menus soon. Was on the site today seeing if there were any vacancies (there weren't :( ) and decided to check the menu. Sure enough the vegetarian pasta no longer contains pesto...but they've got a new vegetarian pizza which does. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

hi guys, sorry i havnt posted here in aaaages :o

had to tell yiz, you know pie minister? they have pies in supervalu!! the veggie pie is nyom! bet this is well known but im super excited to get one :D

pie \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

The Heidi Pie??? ZOMG i am obsessed! I could only see them in Superquinn for ages, recent;y seen them in Dunnes, but not the veggie pie. Also last year they had a christmas veggie pie, can't remember the name but it was nice!

I looked at those before, considered ordering them from the uk lol. Look really nice.

yep, girl in work brought the packaging in to prove it to me! it was definitely a heidi!

i cant wait to go to supervalu!!

seen these in dunnes the other day, I was curious. Based on your nyoms, I will have to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

They stock 'em in Nolans Clontarf also!

Saw one in superquin, 4.25 for one smallish pie, they can keep their pie :p

Just had one of these, 28g for 2e is steep but it was lovely!

http://www.primalspiritfoods.com

They are a vegan seitan jerky, I got a kinda spicy satay one.

10g of protein in that bad boy.

milka's not vegetarian :-o

Did anyone go to the craft fair in the rds, if you haven't gone yet you should go, it's awesome, I wanted ALL the things :D

damn you milka. damn you to hell.

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    milka's not vegetarian :-o

Did anyone go to the craft fair in the rds, if you haven't gone yet you should go, it's awesome, I wanted ALL the things :D

oh id love to go but id be the same, id want all the things!!

Advertisement