Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Vegetarian pizza, and green salad are pretty alright. Dessert would be awesome! Did you find anywhere specifically veggie, or is it still pretty hard to find places to eat out, which even have a veggie option with no fish?

I was at Langtons Hotel in Kilkenny on Wednesday for a wedding, I asked them about vegetarian options for the meal, I was given three options! I chose the one which had pasta and vegetables, with garlic bread. It was delicious :)

Madrid has a surprising amount of vegetarian restaurants, considering how few vegetarians actually live here. Also, I was shocked at how accommodating have been, actually asking me if I'm vegan or just vegetarian (a few years ago no one would even know about veganism here!). They seem to have been exposed to vegetarianism through Erasmus students and foreigners though. Still, I've seen enough places with no vegetarian option at all, and some with fish-based and parmesan-based vegetarian options to know that the place still sucks a bit for vegetarians.

I haven't eaten in this area because my sister lives far from the city centre so I don't know what I can actually eat. In the proper touristy areas it's hard because tourists want traditional food, which invariably includes chorizo- and jamón-flavoured dishes. Still, there's a few places to eat and it's not too bad. I can always live off chocolate and churros =P
    Oh yeah, legumes are better in Spain. I really don't know why, possibly because they're local, but they are definitely tastier. And that's *great* because you can make uber nice chickpea salads with lemon and olive oil and stuff like that and they taste amazing. ^_^

Sligo... I can't picture the place, therefore it doesn't exist. Internet? Woah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

/waves

Hai there .o/

They have internets in Sligo? :pac:

Sounds like a great deal that, lots of veggie food is always a good thing, and I bet P ate a sizeable portion lol :D

You no keep in touch lately, how are you, and things in general? Hope you got my text last night before it was over!

Hai again! I've been saying hi to you loads of places now on boards but I cant quite catch you. Only got your text last night when I switched my phone back on, didnt bring my charger and it was kinda a nuisance charging it off my laptop in sligo so I missed the metallica stuff :( What was that about anyway? Also I thought about texting you to say good luck in your exams but then I forgot again.....but it's the thought that counts right :D Havent logged into boards in about a month either, too busy. I finished up college stuff on Monday and went home to meath on Tuesday, then on to Sligo on Thursday, only back last night. How is you anyway?

Sligo was awesome, we picked the best time to go down there, apparently was hotter than back in dublin, so we were at the beach loads, we climbed the mountain, I walked the doggy, we got seaweed baths :D It's so gorgeous where tar lives, so scenic, you wouldnt miss the internets :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Madrid has a surprising amount of vegetarian restaurants, considering how few vegetarians actually live here. Also, I was shocked at how accommodating have been, actually asking me if I'm vegan or just vegetarian (a few years ago no one would even know about veganism here!). They seem to have been exposed to vegetarianism through Erasmus students and foreigners though. Still, I've seen enough places with no vegetarian option at all, and some with fish-based and parmesan-based vegetarian options to know that the place still sucks a bit for vegetarians.

I haven't eaten in this area because my sister lives far from the city centre so I don't know what I can actually eat. In the proper touristy areas it's hard because tourists want traditional food, which invariably includes chorizo- and jamón-flavoured dishes. Still, there's a few places to eat and it's not too bad. I can always live off chocolate and churros =P
    Oh yeah, legumes are better in Spain. I really don't know why, possibly because they're local, but they are definitely tastier. And that's *great* because you can make uber nice chickpea salads with lemon and olive oil and stuff like that and they taste amazing. ^_^

Sligo... I can't picture the place, therefore it doesn't exist. Internet? Woah.
    So this trip over there (not the most recent one, that's too recent lol), is in terms of finding attitudes to vegetarianism/veganism very much the opposite? That is pretty cool, and a nice thing to see. Thankfully the erasmus students and those on interrailing trips have spread the word, it seems, and many business owners have caught on :) It might still suck a little bit, but at least it has improved quite a lot!

Do you plan on travelling around the city a little bit to find some more places to eat, maybe to safe parts that you think would have places to eat? You did say before, that you've not seen many parts of the city, and for now you're living in the suburbs and might have a chance to, so we'll see what happens :) Oh yeah, chocolate and churros!! You could easily live on them haha :D

And I've never been to Sligo either, dunno why!
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    Hai again! I've been saying hi to you loads of places now on boards but I cant quite catch you. Only got your text last night when I switched my phone back on, didnt bring my charger and it was kinda a nuisance charging it off my laptop in sligo so I missed the metallica stuff :( What was that about anyway? Also I thought about texting you to say good luck in your exams but then I forgot again.....but it's the thought that counts right :D Havent logged into boards in about a month either, too busy. I finished up college stuff on Monday and went home to meath on Tuesday, then on to Sligo on Thursday, only back last night. How is you anyway?

Sligo was awesome, we picked the best time to go down there, apparently was hotter than back in dublin, so we were at the beach loads, we climbed the mountain, I walked the doggy, we got seaweed baths :D It's so gorgeous where tar lives, so scenic, you wouldnt miss the internets :D
    .o/ Hi! Shame you only got the text last night, it was to do with a series of concerts on in Lisbon (but the event was called Rock In Rio for some reason), that Youtube were streaming each night over the weekend. Mastodon, Sepultura, Evanescence and Metallica were on the first night. Offspring, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Smashing Pumpkins on the second (as you can see, it was have been awesome!)

Dont worry at all about forgetting stuff lol, you were in the wilderness of Sligo and taking a much needed break from everything :) Glad to hear you got your college stuff done, I'm all done and just waiting on results (15th June). Must have been some relief finishing everything though!

Yeah I seen that Sligo was a few degrees warmer than here, which is still fairly warm! Been walking around here the last week in shorts and t-shirts lol, its great :D I dont think I've ever heard you say you were on a beach, let alone like it so much :p Did the doggy love you more than P? Or was he all loved up again? :pac:

I know someone who knows that area very well, and apparently he lives on the good side of the motorway, with all the nice stuff :)

.o/ Hi! Shame you only got the text last night, it was to do with a series of concerts on in Lisbon (but the event was called Rock In Rio for some reason), that Youtube were streaming each night over the weekend. Mastodon, Sepultura, Evanescence and Metallica were on the first night. Offspring, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Smashing Pumpkins on the second (as you can see, it was have been awesome!)

Dont worry at all about forgetting stuff lol, you were in the wilderness of Sligo and taking a much needed break from everything :) Glad to hear you got your college stuff done, I'm all done and just waiting on results (15th June). Must have been some relief finishing everything though!

Yeah I seen that Sligo was a few degrees warmer than here, which is still fairly warm! Been walking around here the last week in shorts and t-shirts lol, its great :D I dont think I've ever heard you say you were on a beach, let alone like it so much :p Did the doggy love you more than P? Or was he all loved up again? :pac:

I know someone who knows that area very well, and apparently he lives on the good side of the motorway, with all the nice stuff :)

ah no way, didn't know youtube would do that sort of thing at all. Rock am ring/rock im park is on this weekend too, normally rock am ring records everything but probably not live, should be worth checking after especially as metallica confirmed they'll have the snakepit there. Me jelly but me also quite broke at the min so I would never have afforded it.

Haha I do complain about the sun a lot :P I think it's just not as nice in a city when it's hot plus normally I've got jeans on which is disaster. Lucky P's mother is a cool hippy chick :pac: and she lent me some nice multi-coloured hareem-type trousers, nice n light for the sun, she also gave me multi-coloured runners too, I got to keep the stuff :D She's deadly. And I do like the beach, didnt get to go swimming though, although there was nobody out swimming in strandhill anyway, think it's too dangerous.

I think the doggy loved me more >_> He watched the eurovision on the couch with me :pac: And the cat who isn't that friendly actually got up on my knee and lay down of her own accord :eek::D

Is Mon off to machine head tonight, or was that tonight?

ah no way, didn't know youtube would do that sort of thing at all. Rock am ring/rock im park is on this weekend too, normally rock am ring records everything but probably not live, should be worth checking after especially as metallica confirmed they'll have the snakepit there. Me jelly but me also quite broke at the min so I would never have afforded it.

Haha I do complain about the sun a lot :P I think it's just not as nice in a city when it's hot plus normally I've got jeans on which is disaster. Lucky P's mother is a cool hippy chick :pac: and she lent me some nice multi-coloured hareem-type trousers, nice n light for the sun, she also gave me multi-coloured runners too, I got to keep the stuff :D She's deadly. And I do like the beach, didnt get to go swimming though, although there was nobody out swimming in strandhill anyway, think it's too dangerous.

I think the doggy loved me more >_> He watched the eurovision on the couch with me :pac: And the cat who isn't that friendly actually got up on my knee and lay down of her own accord :eek::D

Is Mon off to machine head tonight, or was that tonight?
    I didnt realise it would be on at all myself, only for the fact I went onto the site to watch something I cant remember lol. You can always plan to go next year right? If the lineup is good anyway:D Catching it online afterwards is still alright.

That was really cool of her to do that! Giving you love and clothes, awesome stuff for any woman lol :) You dont complain much about it to me, or I've never really heard it yet :p Strandhill can be pretty dangerous yeah, but swimming is nice. Didnt even know you can swim lol:pac:

Good Buddy! Sadly he was watching Eurovision, but still :D Good kitty too, recognising kitty superior!

Yes, I was at that gig tonight, and it was all kinds of awesome. Blew me away altogether, and it was great to see them here too :D Evile are a good band, and the Irish band, Dead Label are fairly good.

• Advertisement

I didnt realise it would be on at all myself, only for the fact I went onto the site to watch something I cant remember lol. You can always plan to go next year right? If the lineup is good anyway:D Catching it online afterwards is still alright.

That was really cool of her to do that! Giving you love and clothes, awesome stuff for any woman lol :) You dont complain much about it to me, or I've never really heard it yet :p Strandhill can be pretty dangerous yeah, but swimming is nice. Didnt even know you can swim lol:pac:

Good Buddy! Sadly he was watching Eurovision, but still :D Good kitty too, recognising kitty superior!

Yes, I was at that gig tonight, and it was all kinds of awesome. Blew me away altogether, and it was great to see them here too :D Evile are a good band, and the Irish band, Dead Label are fairly good.

if the line-up is good :P
    And I can't swim no but I can doggy paddle about and float about :/ Hopefully P will teach me soon, it has been promised. We started running, you should see us though, we're utterly crap, well I am anyways :o 1km only the last 2 days and my legs are stiff. The park right outside the house is handy though.

Don't know those other 2 bands at all, stick up some tunes if you so wish :D

Live stream from rock am ring every day this weekend starting from 6pm today!

http://www.swr3.de/specials/rockamring/livestream/

If you can float, you can swim :D It wont take long to learn, trust me. Running too? You're gone all super healthy now, I like it! :) P was able to run decent before anyway, wont take long to get back in to it. 1k though, is still good for a beginner (yes, you're a beginner ;)) but the stiff legs means it's working and your muscles are working hard. Take it slowly, increase every week or two by a small amount, and you'll be fine :)

The lineup will be decent this year, next year, well we'll see :p

Here's some stuff from those other bands:

And some high quality vids from the other night of MH:

The opening song:

Epic moshing song:

Circle pit/moshing time:

:D:D

Any future metal gigs, I'm wearing earplugs lol. So much bass!

If you can float, you can swim :D It wont take long to learn, trust me. Running too? You're gone all super healthy now, I like it! :) P was able to run decent before anyway, wont take long to get back in to it. 1k though, is still good for a beginner (yes, you're a beginner ;)) but the stiff legs means it's working and your muscles are working hard. Take it slowly, increase every week or two by a small amount, and you'll be fine :)

The lineup will be decent this year, next year, well we'll see :p

Here's some stuff from those other bands:

yep I've gone mad :pac: I'm just so unfit, couldn't catch a bus. yep he's way better than me, my legs are not too sore or anything, it's just the getting out of breath. Today I found pretty hard but hopefully I'll get better. I know 1km is nothing, but don't want to put myself off it or hurt myself and not be able to do anything. Good advice there mon :)

oh btw if you are looking at that stream, the schedule is one hour ahead, they seem to be letting people vote which act they want to see streamed, since there's 3 stages. Metallica will be on tomorrow night :D

Havent listened to those yet but I will!

yep I've gone mad :pac: I'm just so unfit, couldn't catch a bus. yep he's way better than me, my legs are not too sore or anything, it's just the getting out of breath. Today I found pretty hard but hopefully I'll get better. I know 1km is nothing, but don't want to put myself off it or hurt myself and not be able to do anything. Good advice there mon :)

oh btw if you are looking at that stream, the schedule is one hour ahead, they seem to be letting people vote which act they want to see streamed, since there's 3 stages. Metallica will be on tomorrow night :D

Havent listened to those yet but I will!
    Gone mad, or now it's visible to everyone? :pac: You'll get better in time, dont worry about that. 1km is better than a lot of people can do, dont think its nothing! Like I said, just take it at your own pace, and you'll do fine and should do it injury free :)

I'll get to see Metallica tomorrow night thankfully, I'm betting you'll be watching it too :D Wanted to see Machine Head tonight but I'm going out, so I'll just find some Youtube clips tomorrow lol.

Oh here's one more, because it's an epic song of theirs:

And I'm in there somewhere, around 1:15 bouncing around the pit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I posted this in the strength forum a while ago. This woman holds the record for the most pullups and is a vegan and was 44 in this video. I know some people go on about vegans not getting enough protein for strength etc.

STATS: 46, Gemini, 5"3", hazel eyes, 106 pounds

Best Lift: 36 consecutive pull-ups (OPEN WOMEN'S CURRENT WORLD RECORD)

Best Lift: 79 pounds added weight 1 rep pull-ups (OPEN WOMEN'S CURRENT WORLD RECORD)

Best Lift: 45 pounds added weight 8 reps pull-ups

PR: 1,210 mixed grip pull-ups, chins and semi-supinated in 80 minutes

PR: 148 pull-ups in 10 minutes

her site might not be safe for work, as she is dressed scantily in some pics, nothing naked just bodybuilder type tiny bikinis
    http://www.crystalwestfitness.com/id18.html

/instantly goes to check out the site >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Attempting full vegetarianism while surviving mainly off of staff canteen food in a Spanish hotel...not my best idea. That said I'm a picky eater anyway so even if I were to give up I doubt I'd go near the meat...it doesn't look very nice. Had a delicious dinner of three plain bread rolls today. Hope to god things improve when I'm moved to a room with cooking facilities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh you live in spain? Gonna visit there in a couple months, hope to have some nice veggie food but hear it isnt the best.

In other news we got 2 gorgeous kittens today :)

I spied moonbaby the other day!

here's the kittys, they've only been here about on hour, they were crazy playing and now they're both asleep, proper little babies :pac:

gpcJ1.jpg

9tx5z.jpg

Oh you live in spain? Gonna visit there in a couple months, hope to have some nice veggie food but hear it isnt the best.

Living in Lanzarote till January. I'm on work placement. Not been here long but from what I've seen not very veggie friendly at all. That said I do believe there's a vegetarian restaurant on the island, just not near me. :( I think some places just don't think to include a vegetarian option. They're quite a carnivorous people so they expect everyone to be the same. I'd say some places wouldn't mind making something up if you asked nicely. I knew it wasn't the best for vegetarian food before I came here but I had it in my head 'If I can manage going vegetarian there, I can manage it anywhere.' Not managing well so far. :P

Awww such cute kittens.

rubadub wrote: »
    I posted this in the strength forum a while ago. This woman holds the record for the most pullups and is a vegan and was 44 in this video. I know some people go on about vegans not getting enough protein for strength etc.

Thanks for that Rubadub.....I'm starting weight lifting myself. She is great inspiration.

here's the kittys, they've only been here about on hour, they were crazy playing and now they're both asleep, proper little babies :pac:

gpcJ1.jpg

9tx5z.jpg

:eek: I'm proper jealous! They are absolute dotes.
    I love the little touch of halloweeny colours, and the dashing goatee marking.
    What did you call them?

Eh whereabouts? I have squadrons of doubles.....Forever getting me in trouble they are!
    Living in Lanzarote till January. I'm on work placement. Not been here long but from what I've seen not very veggie friendly at all. That said I do believe there's a vegetarian restaurant on the island, just not near me. :( I think some places just don't think to include a vegetarian option. They're quite a carnivorous people so they expect everyone to be the same. I'd say some places wouldn't mind making something up if you asked nicely. I knew it wasn't the best for vegetarian food before I came here but I had it in my head 'If I can manage going vegetarian there, I can manage it anywhere.' Not managing well so far. :P

Awww such cute kittens.

Can't believe lanzarote is that bad. Hope you find a place soon.
    That would drive me demented.

Moonbaby wrote: »

:eek: I'm proper jealous! They are absolute dotes.
    I love the little touch of halloweeny colours, and the dashing goatee marking.
    What did you call them?

Eh whereabouts? I have squadrons of doubles.....Forever getting me in trouble they are!

The one with the orangey bits is Misa and the b/w one is Spider lol. Tar's a bit jealous coz Misa always sits beside me but the other one always sits up beside him on his desk.

I was in town last Thursday I think with my mother, we were upstairs in stephens green having coffee and I could see you outside, it was def you but obviously I was in no position to say hi!

MoN I'm pretty sure I saw your bro today, he was the spit of you but not you!

in other news spider (the b/w one) has started sucking on tar's ear :eek: Pretty disturbing.

MoN I'm pretty sure I saw your bro today, he was the spit of you but not you!

in other news spider (the b/w one) has started sucking on tar's ear :eek: Pretty disturbing.
    My bro doesnt look anything like me though :p You're the third person to say they saw either my double (one of many possible candidates it seems), or me, somewhere around Dublin in the last two weeks lol.

:eek:Tar milk! That Tar can sell anything these says!:eek:

• Advertisement

So I went back to meat. I had no option really, the canteen is completely meat centred and my cooking facilities amount to a microwave. I can't afford to eat out regularly either (****ty wages and paid monthly). If I'd gone on I'd probably have lost a horrendous amount of weight and come back with at least one deficiency. It sucks but that's life I guess. Will have to wait till I come home to go veggie. Also I want to point out, Spain isn't the most vegetarian friendly place but it's not impossible. I just don't have the resources. Obviously there are Spaniards who are vegetarian and get on fine. I'm in Lanzarote and there's both a vegetarian and a vegan restaurant on the island (just not near me).

what's up veggies ?

s'ok killer banana this guy is not veggie either....

cSW03.jpg

So I went back to meat. I had no option really, the canteen is completely meat centred and my cooking facilities amount to a microwave. I can't afford to eat out regularly either (****ty wages and paid monthly). If I'd gone on I'd probably have lost a horrendous amount of weight and come back with at least one deficiency. It sucks but that's life I guess. Will have to wait till I come home to go veggie. Also I want to point out, Spain isn't the most vegetarian friendly place but it's not impossible. I just don't have the resources. Obviously there are Spaniards who are vegetarian and get on fine. I'm in Lanzarote and there's both a vegetarian and a vegan restaurant on the island (just not near me).

You know sometimes you can only do your best.
    Hope your feeling better about it now! and that you get the chance to try again when you get home.

what's up veggies ?

s'ok killer banana this guy is not veggie either....

cSW03.jpg

Sup!

That pic is hillarious!

We have a spider lookalikey visiting our house for cuddles everyday. :)

Sup!

That pic is hillarious!

We have a spider lookalikey visiting our house for cuddles everyday. :)

you remembered its name! very impressed :D We have taken to calling it spi-derp when it does stupid things like go to jump onto the table and fail :P

you remembered its name! very impressed :D We have taken to calling it spi-derp when it does stupid things like go to jump onto the table and fail :P

I loled! :P

How is life treating you?

I loled! :P

How is life treating you?

this is classic spiderp....

5nj21.jpg

meh, I'm at a loose end, looking for some postgrad stuff to do. Staying up late and getting up late is getting old :| Have the kitties to keep me busy though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Spidey <3 very cute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I tried some camembert cheese today and remembered why I don't like it - does it taste very meaty to anyone else, its like a taste you don't immediately, but taste at the back of your mouth afterward. Horrible lunch :(

I started in reservation today. I like that it's completely different to working in the restaurant, especially since I already have restaurant experience. I'm there for five months though and it's not the most...er...stimulating job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Hallo gang! How are ye?

Advertisement