Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

it is much needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

Hi all! How is everyone today? :)

I wish the rain would flup off. I want to go for a walk somewhere nice!
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    Picked up Liquid aminos today.
    http://bragg.com/products/la.html
    Found a small spray bottle in nourish for a fiver, I'm using it on fake chicken/tofu/beans. like a soy sauce. It tastes awesome.
    Thought people here might be into it for making a more complete protein profile for meals.

Am I reading this right. 310 mgs of protein per serving?
    Seems a bit pointless. :/ Or is there something special about the type of protein it is?

GoldCobra wrote: »

It never ceases to amaze me, how upset other people can be over other peoples food choices.
    The tolerated abuse you see from a small minority of people in threads on other forums is ridiculous.
    Some people really need to get over themselves.

I think it's more the amino acid profile, it has 16 in it, so it could help make a meal more balanced. instead of having to combine sources to make up a complete profile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

But, all of those amino acids can be made up with a combo of two foods I reckon, eggs being one (if not averse to eating them ofc) and quinoa possibly being a second. 310mgs? that's not even a third of a gram!! Everybody should be eating at least their own weight in kgs of protein per day, a bit more for those who are weight training. This is to maintain your current muscle mass, not even for people trying to increase their mass through training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think you mean grams not kg :p

Quinoa is a complete protein. Hence why people call it a "superfood"

Aye, a gram of protein per pound of bw, but saying that I've seen sites and books varying that amount alot.
    Some people go up to 2 or 3 grams which i think is mental. and some people have said half a gram per pound. I think it varies greatly on the individual. It should definitely be the high% of calorie intake either way.
    I tend to aim for a gram per pound but don't worry if I'm a bit short on it.

Typing it didn't seem right :p Meant that their weight in kg would be the amount of grams of protein the would consume.

Sure, getting enough protein in a day to equal your bodyweight seems a bit too much tbh, and most stuff I've seen/heard on the subject looks to the g/kg bodyweight, rather than g/lb. You'd nearly be eating all day to get that (especially for veggies/vegans with a higher bodymass), and it would cost a fair bit too. As an aside, the human body can only convert 30g of protein per hour (a physiological limitation), so having more than that is not going to improve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I emailed l'oreal asking about one product and got the most longwinded and off the point email ever. It starts normally enough telling me what animal products are used in their products and how to identify them in the ingredients (because providing me a list or just providing a simple yes or no about the one product I asked about is too much work) and then they went on to say it's up to the individual to decide what they regard as against their vegetarian/vegan lifestyle like if you wear leather it's from animals or some spices are made from insects. They then talk about how they've stopped testing on animals...except they still do just not much....but they're working on ending all animal testing, honest. It wasn't a bad email as such they answered all my questions more or less rather than trying to sidestep them like some companies but it was just written so strangely. The bit about leather and the like came off pretty self-righteous. I think it was just the person who wrote it trying to avoid outright saying 'this product is not vegan' by saying it was my choice whether to label it vegan or not. I actually stated in my email what I meant by vegan but anyway...

• Advertisement

As an aside, the human body can only convert 30g of protein per hour (a physiological limitation), so having more than that is not going to improve anything.

That is a bit of an old wives tale. When you eat a protein heavy meal, Your body releases a hormone, that slows down digestion. So that eventually you absorb everything.

I see your lifting heavy things! Do you like it? :)

I emailed l'oreal asking about one product and got the most longwinded and off the point email ever. It starts normally enough telling me what animal products are used in their products and how to identify them in the ingredients

Would you mind posting that info? It would handy to know.
    I never know what to look for when it comes to toiletries and cosmetics.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    That is a bit of an old wives tale. When you eat a protein heavy meal, Your body releases a hormone, that slows down digestion. So that eventually you absorb everything.

:O The older I get the mroe things I find out I was taught in school are outright wrong.

Would you mind posting that info? It would handy to know.
    I never know what to look for when it comes to toiletries and cosmetics.

This is what the email says
    Some of our products may contain derivatives of sheep’s wool (LANOLIN - though no animal is sacrificed to obtain this) and some of our products also contain beeswax, honey or silk amino acids, fish products (collagen and oil) and fowl products (eggs and feather keratin). These can all be identified in the ingredients lists on each product. Some of our lipsticks however may contain carmine, which gives it it’s red colour from carminic acid which is derived from insects.

I'm guessing since she says they're in ingredient lists they're listed under the names given. I've never seen eggs or feather keratin listed on a product but I was asking specifically about hair dye and I haven't used a traditional box dye since I started using vegan products so those ingredients might be used in them.

Ingredient lists can be confusing as hell though when it comes to cosmetics since, usually, I haven't the faintest idea what the vast majority of stuff listed is. I tend to buy stuff I can find on vegan lists or email companies if I can't find a vegan list. I don't own many cosmetics but the stuff I do use is mainly from Lush, ELF (all products are vegan except some brushes), Barry M (any vegan products have a V beside the ingredient list on their website) and Gosh (not completely vegan but they do have a good few vegan products. I found a list on a blog recently if you'd like me to send you it).

Anyone know if toffifee is vegetarian? I was given a box of it last night and it's calling to me. :P I emailed them but god knows when they will get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Can't imagine any mad ingredients in it, I'd say enjoy em.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Can't imagine any mad ingredients in it, I'd say enjoy em.

There's whey so could go either way. I wish that they listed what type of cheese production the whey came from. I've seen it labelled as milk whey once but other than that it always just says whey. It's in so many things as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I don't mind whey. If it doesn't explicitly list an ingredient as animal sourced or an ingredient I know is animal sourced I don't stress about it.

I prefer to avoid it if I can. Anyway got a reply to my email. They're vegetarian. :D Currently stuffing my face.

I see your lifting heavy things! Do you like it? :)
    I sort of mis-quoted something from earlier lectures, lol. Absorption doesn't have an actual limit, since nobody knows, but the useage/synthesis of that protein is capped at 20g/hr.

I'm lifting heavy things now, yes! It's pretty fun so far :) And how are you? It's been quite a while since we've met/talked!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://www.cok.net/blog/2013/03/google-confirms-veganism-on-rise/

although it's more like googling veganism is on the rise, but that of course implies the former.

Was wandering around my local supervalu looking for peanut butter today and happened across their healthfood section. I was pleasntly surprised to see how well stocked it was with non-dairy milks and a few other vegan bits. I would have expected that from the supervalus in town but I live in a fairly small village so did not think they would have much in. Made decide once my easter egg is gone the vegan transition starts. Starting to get excited now...

Never did find any peanut butter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

My big purchase for today ^_^

2A4CITn.jpg

They look nice! I'm currently writing a paper and now I want peanut butter!! damn you!!

kellief wrote: »
    They look nice! I'm currently writing a paper and now I want peanut butter!! damn you!!

The pesto was really nice and quite zesty like its name, it's vegan too, I think I've seen it in nourish before if anyone is looking for it. I never said anything about peanut butter :P But now I want peanut butter, damn you :pac:

I'm guessing she's referring to my post about peanut butter. So...er...sorry to ye both. I have a load of peanut butter so ye can come to my house if you're really desperate. Might be easier to go to the shop than Galway though...

--LOS-- wrote: »
    The pesto was really nice and quite zesty like its name, it's vegan too, I think I've seen it in nourish before if anyone is looking for it. I never said anything about peanut butter :P But now I want peanut butter, damn you :pac:
    I'm guessing she's referring to my post about peanut butter. So...er...sorry to ye both. I have a load of peanut butter so ye can come to my house if you're really desperate. Might be easier to go to the shop than Galway though...

I like pesto, haven't had any in a while. I love it in a wrap with lettuce, feta, sundried tomatoes and quorn pieces, nom nom!
    Yeah it was the evil banana man! I found a full jar in the press that was bought during the week, but thanks for the offer!

Yeah it was the evil banana man! I found a full jar in the press that was bought during the week, but thanks for the offer!

Second time this week on boards someone's presumed I was a guy. Maybe I need a better username... :p

Second time this week on boards someone's presumed I was a guy. Maybe I need a better username... :p

oooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o:o

oooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o:o

Ah it's grand. I've done the same myself sure. Also I just realised it's Monday so actually first time this week. :P

Ah it's grand. I've done the same myself sure. Also I just realised it's Monday so actually first time this week. :P

Woops!

• Advertisement

I like pesto, haven't had any in a while. I love it in a wrap with lettuce, feta, sundried tomatoes and quorn pieces, nom nom!

ye know I never really think of putting pesto on anything other than pasta, even though I eat it when I'm out in crepes and things, I'd say it would be lovely in a wrap like that yum

Advertisement