Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Is interesting a good thing MoN?

I'm grand too. Off to Vienna the week after next.
    According to trip advisor, the best restaurant in the city is veggie.

http://www.tian-vienna.com/

Never been to a proper sit down, vegetarian place. Well unless you count Juice.
    So I'm really excited.

Hoping there is going to be lots of Milka in Austria too :P

How is everyone today?
    Missed this, sorry! Interesting in a good way, since it's quick to prepare, and just needs some veggies, seasoning and a sauce of some kind to give it flavour. Hope Vienna was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very quiet in here. Did I miss something? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Tis quiet.

Everyone set for a fun veggie xmas? I dunno what I'm doing I might just pick up a veggie roast majigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Any ideas for a veggie starter? I'm not keen on cutting up butternut squash for a soup!

T'is quiet, aye!

For a starter, I would love some potato cakes :D

• Advertisement

hmm potato cakes. or how about some hummus with a tasty bread? or some stuffed mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Had my first experience eating out as a vegetarian today. Wasn't planned, Mum and Dad were going and since I knew the place always had one veggie option on the menu I said I'd come too. They were vegetable spring rolls and there was no description whatsoever, didn't even say what vegetables were in them. They were alright though, I've had worse food. Were unusually spicy for spring rolls though.

I think spring rolls are a lazy main course.
    I wouldn't be impressed tbh.
    At least you liked them though.

Exactly. Once you liked it, then that's alright!

Spring rolls, or any pasta dish are normally the lazy main courses, oh add risotto in there too as a lazy dish. Lots of times, those spring rolls will be spicier because they would lack in flavour otherwise, which stems from probably not knowing how to prepare them in the kitchen.

There are LOTS more places with different veggie mains out there, hopefully you get to sample them :)

Oh it was definitely lazy, especially when they were served with chips and salad, not something I'd personally put with spring rolls myself. I was just glad the one vegetarian main was something I would eat.

I'm glad I live near to Galway city so when planned I've got plenty of options on where to eat out. Not much choice locally. I think a nearby café has a fair few vegetarian options. The two hotels (who most likely are catering to a larger and more varied clientele) do not. I know a lot of chefs dislike vegetarians but I think it's just good business sense to cater well to them regardless of their personal opinions.

• Advertisement

Anyone have those Linda McCartney Mozzarella quarter pounders before?
    They're actually the nicest burgers I think I've ever eaten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah i love them so much but they dont sell them in tesco near me now :/

I tried these this week. Not bad at all.
    My mam loved them. :)

My meating eating parents looooooove those burgers. Has anyone seen the Quorn meatballs anywhere? Haven't seen them myself for months, time to say goodbye I fear :(

There was new pies the other day in tescos. I had a linda mccartney country pie and there were quorn chicken and leek. I always find Mccartneys stuff nicer than quorn. also the pies were vegan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They're a bit lame though because the old pack had 4 in them for the same price.

They're a bit lame though because the old pack had 4 in them for the same price.

which the quorn?

the LM ones is a 4 pack.

Oh yeah must be the quorn ones, think they added leek too and then put in half the pies!

It is so easy to make a pie yourself.
    Tesco and Aldi have fresh ready rolled shortcrust pastry, cheap as chips.

ah yeah, i only use quorn or LM when i'm feelin lazy

• Advertisement

yeah very rare I want to make a pie, they are emergency back up food like pizza! nomnomnom

Just came across a recipe that asks for smoked tofu. Anyone know is that available in Galway?

Just came across a recipe that asks for smoked tofu. Anyone know is that available in Galway?

I'm sure it is. You'll find it in any half decent healthfood shop.

Thanks, with the weather the way it is I don't like heading into town to look for stuff that I have no chance of finding so thought I'd ask first.

What are you making?

Carbonara.

My Mum's support over my vegetarianism seems to have began to dwindle. Was at my granny's today and my uncle gave me a Bulmers despite me saying I really didn't want one (I didn't bother trying to explain it's not suitable for vegetarians' 'cause I knew they wouldn't really get it and probably take the piss). I thought maybe I could choke it down but one sip made me feel terrible so it got left behind. Mum didn't seem to like this (even though her suggestion was pour ir down the sink). And just now she said she's cooking some savoury rice and would I like some but I said I couldn't since it had chicken fat in it to which she replied 'But you're not doing it for religious reasons.' I'm a bit disappointed, she was so supportive to start off with. :( I'm not sure what started this off, I've been doing all my own cooking and shopping and haven't inconvenienced her as far as I can see. I'm hoping to go vegan in March as well so bit worried about how she'll take that.

Carbonara.

My Mum's support over my vegetarianism seems to have began to dwindle. Was at my granny's today and my uncle gave me a Bulmers despite me saying I really didn't want one (I didn't bother trying to explain it's not suitable for vegetarians' 'cause I knew they wouldn't really get it and probably take the piss). I thought maybe I could choke it down but one sip made me feel terrible so it got left behind. Mum didn't seem to like this (even though her suggestion was pour ir down the sink). And just now she said she's cooking some savoury rice and would I like some but I said I couldn't since it had chicken fat in it to which she replied 'But you're not doing it for religious reasons.' I'm a bit disappointed, she was so supportive to start off with. :( I'm not sure what started this off, I've been doing all my own cooking and shopping and haven't inconvenienced her as far as I can see. I'm hoping to go vegan in March as well so bit worried about how she'll take that.

My mum was like this too, and still is when she's in one of her moods. I think it partly stems from her nurturing instinct, where she might usually cook in the house for the family, your independent dietary choices have compromised that and she might not fully understand or comprehend your decision. Perhaps at the weekends or once a week you could prepare an interesting veggie dish for the family. I know my mum and others would find vegetarianism confusing and maybe view it as a sort of a exclusive, yuppie lifestyle that costs more money because to make a good dish it usually takes a lot more preparation (my mum doesn't like me being in the kitchen preparing my food), which isn't true.

I know its difficult but you just have to smile and stick with your beliefs, in the long term they'll have a measure of respect for you, for having stuck with it.

RE: Bulmers
    does it contain carmine colouring which is derived from Cochineal insects? I never drank it so I wasn't aware of it not being veg.
    I know some other drinks use some form of beta carotene for colouring which again is from some animal source.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    RE: Bulmers
    does it contain carmine colouring which is derived from Cochineal insects? I never drank it so I wasn't aware of it not being veg.
    I know some other drinks use some form of beta carotene for colouring which again is from some animal source.

I imagine it is filtered with an agent that is made from fish bone Islinglass.
    It wouldn't actually contain traces of the agent.
    Alot of beers and wines are made this way.
    As alot of fruit and vegetables are fertilized with blood and bone meal also.
    You have to draw your line somewhere. I chose not to worry about it.
    It seems a shame to discriminate again a pint, when your letting a tomato off scot free. ;)

• Advertisement

ah im not worried about drink, because I don't drink. Just curious. It's amazing how some processes you'd never imagine involve animals in some way.

Advertisement