Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I imagine it is filtered with an agent that is made from fish bone Islinglass.
    It wouldn't actually contain traces of the agent.
    Alot of beers and wines are made this way.
    As alot of fruit and vegetables are fertilized with blood and bone meal also.
    You have to draw your line somewhere. I chose not to worry about it.
    It seems a shame to discriminate again a pint, when your letting a tomato off scot free. ;)

As far as I'm aware it's filtered with isinglass. I tried to check again there but barnivore is down. I didn't realise that some veg was fertilised that way. I agree you have to draw the line somewhere but I feel avoiding certain alcoholic drinks isn't too much of a sacrifice for me whereas trying to avoid bone meal fertilised veg would probably be a lot more difficult and/or result in me eating feck all. :p I do miss Guiness though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

anyone here use any b12 supplements?
    Thinking I might need some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, as I still eat eggs and dairy. Good idea if you don't. Vegans definitely should be, don't take Spirulina, that's more of a pseudo-B12.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    anyone here use any b12 supplements?
    Thinking I might need some.

Are you not feeling well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There was ahuge thread about vegetarianism on AH, I think Zombienosh must have been reading :D

• Advertisement

haha, no just thinking the only sources I get really are from a multi vitamin and the odd egg I've started to eat, I don't really eat dairy and I train in the gym a lot so I might need more b12 than the average joe? My mind has been foggy of late.
    Since it is water soluble I guess there's no harm in trying to get more.
    Just wanted to see if anyone recommends anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

It's not just vegans that need to supplement with B12, I've read a lot of the population whether meateater/vegetarian/vegan are b12 deficient. Best way to supplement is the liquid drops - solgar do a high strength one. Think it costs about 13 euro for about a 1 month's supply.

cool, yeah solgar tend to be the best to go with for vegan/veggie supplements

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm not sure if there is a better thread for this, but I had to mention the amazing meal I had last night. We were in Ahernes restaurant in Youghal, and when booking I mentioned that we're happy with the set menu, so long as there is a vegetarian option.

Well, I have never been made feel more welcome. I was given 4 choices and went for a tower of roasted veggies with a mixed salsa, fresh pesto and a tomato sauce. It was fab, but not only that, the chef came out himself to see if it was ok & went on to tell me how delighted he was with the challenge.

They do a taster menu in the place, which is a seafood restaurant, and I was told that if I was to come back I should book the taster menu and he'd create a vegetarian one for me! Multiple courses of veggie delight! We're definitely going to go back and if you're looking for a special place to have a dinner/ weekend for a veggie & non veggie couple (like my husband and I) it was perfect.

Sounds fantastic!

• Advertisement

haha, no just thinking the only sources I get really are from a multi vitamin and the odd egg I've started to eat, I don't really eat dairy and I train in the gym a lot so I might need more b12 than the average joe? My mind has been foggy of late.
    Since it is water soluble I guess there's no harm in trying to get more.
    Just wanted to see if anyone recommends anything.
    I'm not really a fan of multi vitamins because they give you loads of stuff you don't need/might get too much of. If there is something in particular you want like b12 I'd take a b12 supplement, not an everything supplement.

Don't forget that you probably eat food fortified with b12 too such as soya milk. You can sprinkle things like nutritional yeast on your food also.
    sav1980 wrote: »
    It's not just vegans that need to supplement with B12, I've read a lot of the population whether meateater/vegetarian/vegan are b12 deficient. Best way to supplement is the liquid drops - solgar do a high strength one. Think it costs about 13 euro for about a 1 month's supply.
    If food weren't fortified everybody would be deficient in a lot of things, peoples diets are horrendous. You need a high strength one all right because a lot of b12 isn't absorbed.
    Whispered wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is a better thread for this, but I had to mention the amazing meal I had last night. We were in Ahernes restaurant in Youghal, and when booking I mentioned that we're happy with the set menu, so long as there is a vegetarian option.

Well, I have never been made feel more welcome. I was given 4 choices and went for a tower of roasted veggies with a mixed salsa, fresh pesto and a tomato sauce. It was fab, but not only that, the chef came out himself to see if it was ok & went on to tell me how delighted he was with the challenge.

They do a taster menu in the place, which is a seafood restaurant, and I was told that if I was to come back I should book the taster menu and he'd create a vegetarian one for me! Multiple courses of veggie delight! We're definitely going to go back and if you're looking for a special place to have a dinner/ weekend for a veggie & non veggie couple (like my husband and I) it was perfect.
    Sounds amazing tbh, I can't understand why more chefs aren't like that. Seems they just make the same aul crap, would it not be so boring for them. Not in dublin damn.

I'm not really a fan of multi vitamins because they give you loads of stuff you don't need/might get too much of. If there is something in particular you want like b12 I'd take a b12 supplement, not an everything supplement.

Don't forget that you probably eat food fortified with b12 too such as soya milk. You can sprinkle things like nutritional yeast on your food also.

I take a multi mostly because the heavy training I do, After long days work/college and then gymming it, I try to make sure I have all my bases covered.
    I don't use soya milk or really eat fortified foods. I do use a bit of kara coconut milk and it has b12 but very small amounts.
    I went a bought some solgar b12 nuggets that dissolve on the tongue, I'm gonna try them for the month and see if I notice any difference.

I take a multi mostly because the heavy training I do, After long days work/college and then gymming it, I try to make sure I have all my bases covered.
    I don't use soya milk or really eat fortified foods. I do use a bit of kara coconut milk and it has b12 but very small amounts.
    I went a bought some solgar b12 nuggets that dissolve on the tongue, I'm gonna try them for the month and see if I notice any difference.

Just so you're aware, if your b12 gets very low you turn into a lunatic. I was crying over nothing, paranoid, angry over silly little things and had an overwhelming feeling of frustration all the time. I was so tired, but couldn't sleep and felt like I was wading through thick air all the time.

I gave up my night job and I got B12 injections and the difference was amazing. I found out that I can't absorb B12 so it's not necessarily dietry, it has to be injected. I recommend now to anybody who will listen to have their levels checked next time they're in a doctor. It made such a difference to me.
    Sounds amazing tbh, I can't understand why more chefs aren't like that. Seems they just make the same aul crap, would it not be so boring for them. Not in dublin damn.

Well he certainly put the whole idea of a stressed anrgy chef back in its place! Every plate of food that came out was fab. Then this friendly fella wanders out to check how we're getting on, it's nice to have food made by someone who tells you how much he enjoyed preparing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

wow that's really refreshing to hear Whispered, not sure I'll be in Youghal any time soon though :( Just shows you as well you should always ask anyway, you might get a good response like you did.

It is good to hear and how rare, sadly most of the time it's the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure its worthy of a new thread so will post here.

Competition to win hamper of Dee's wholefoods stuff here:

http://www.irishfarmersmonthly.com/component/option,com_chronoforms/Itemid,65/view,form/

Anyone have any good vegetarian hangover food recommendations?

Anyone have any good vegetarian hangover food recommendations?

Plain omlette, on white bread with a hash brown and loads of ketchup, or else a roll with loads of salad and a packet of crisps. Either washed down by a bottle of lucozade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Hi there lovely people! Haven't been on in a long time! How are ye all?

Awesome, hows you?

• Advertisement

Awesome, hows you?

I'm not great but getting there! Working on a tough assignment!

I do wish Nestlé would label their products as suitable for vegetarians (or not). I know there's a list on the website but it's not much use if you're in the supermarket or someone's house. Especially since some of the products seem to contain vegetarian whey but others don't so just reading the ingredients doesn't always help.

got some of the veggie chicken looking thingys in the Asian market last night, guna give them a try.
    I was afraid of the veggie mutton,ribs and fish since I never really ate any of the actual meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Kellief!! How's it going, how's college, haven't seen you about here in ages!

Got some of those chicken things to try yesterday too, there were no satay skewers there :(

Just noticed that MoN you're a mod now?!

Just seen on Lurves facebook that theyre planning to stay open til 10 now serving coffees, teas, smoothies, veggie juices, etc. As an alternative to pub life.

Sounds good.

Hey!! College is going well, I'm doing my masters now! It's an MSc in Climate Change, in Maynooth!
    I'm alright!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Kellief!! How's it going, how's college, haven't seen you about here in ages!

Got some of those chicken things to try yesterday too, there were no satay skewers there :(

Just noticed that MoN you're a mod now?!
    I am, I like it :)

How's you? I should drop up some weekend soon!

And how's everyone else?

Picked up Liquid aminos today.
    http://bragg.com/products/la.html
    Found a small spray bottle in nourish for a fiver, I'm using it on fake chicken/tofu/beans. like a soy sauce. It tastes awesome.
    Thought people here might be into it for making a more complete protein profile for meals.

I am, I like it :)

How's you? I should drop up some weekend soon!

And how's everyone else?

So busy!
    I desperately need a holiday!

• Advertisement

kellief wrote: »
    So busy!
    I desperately need a holiday!

hah, don't we all.

Advertisement