Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Confab wrote: »
    Well if it is him I'll let him slipstream behind me when he's puffed :D Either that or he'll have to average >32kph to get much ahead. I my electric motor kept up to him after he passed anyway.

I love electric bikes.

How could he not see/hear it was electric though? Clearly an imposter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Raam wrote: »
    Well done, you used a motor to keep up with someone who used their lungs and leg power. :pac:

I still pedal and still arrive sweaty to work. I'm a commuter, not a cycling enthusiast. I really don't mind what other cyclist think about my mode of transport. I can go faster than the average cyclist and maintain that speed regardless of hills or wind and still increase my fitness and lose weight. Win-win.
    How could he not see/hear it was electric though?

I still pedal, it doesn't make any noise and it's not obviously electric from a brief look.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Enrico_Toti.jpg

Enrico Toti, who was born in Rome on this day in 1882, worked on the railways until he lost his left leg in an accident when he was 24. He then took up cycling and, a year later, rode from Rome to Paris and via Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Lapland, Russia, Poland and back home again.

http://cyclopunk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/daily-cycling-facts-200812.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can go faster than the average cyclist.

Sounds like fightin talk to me! How fast is the average cyclist?

Sounds like fightin talk to me! How fast is the average cyclist?

I can't put a number on it, but I pass all the cyclists I meet. That's a good definition of 'faster than average' to me. I like cycling - but hate slogging, and the motor gets rid of the slogging. Obviously it's not on all the time, mainly on busy road when I want to get off the road ASAP to avoid the cars flying past me. That's especially true on the N32. I'm not that fit and the motor/muscle hybrid is a good compromise for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

These

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/service/videos.html

are so quiet they test bikes for them on the Tour de France. I'd be tempted, but you have to have a 24" frame for them to sit into the seat pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can't put a number on it, but I pass all the cyclists I meet. That's a good definition of 'faster than average' to me. I like cycling - but hate slogging, and the motor gets rid of the slogging. Obviously it's not on all the time, mainly on busy road when I want to get off the road ASAP to avoid the cars flying past me. That's especially true on the N32.

Each to their own I suppose, but I love the slogging part. BTW, you shall get even fitter by not using a motor. I'm sure you already know that though.

BTW, you shall get even fitter by not using a motor. I'm sure you already know that though.

I can just use less throttle or leave the battery at home once I'm fit enough - it weighs 5kgs so I'd be happy to do without it!

These

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/service/videos.html

are so quiet they test bikes for them on the Tour de France. I'd be tempted, but you have to have a 24" frame for them to sit into the seat pillar.

Most commuter electric bikes will have a massive battery and motors in the hubs. They are quite easy to spot. They also make a nice little whine, again an obvious indicator. That system isn't that common and was popularized in the media after the whole Cancellara incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i think the giveaway is if your an a4 racer, and some commuter comes past you just breaking a sweat.

todays vuelta should be interesting nice uphill finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bloody hell. Science in UCD is a full 175 points more then when I did it. O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    They also make a nice little whine .
    the rider or the bike?

:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well if it is him I'll let him slipstream behind me when he's puffed :D Either that or he'll have to average >32kph to get much ahead. I kept up to him after he passed anyway.

I love electric bikes.
    Haha - 32kph on that bit of road - you've got to be joking - it's 50kph+ for me

(not sure I've ever gone as slow as 32kph on it tbh:D)

Beasty wrote: »
    Haha - 32kph on that bit of road - you've got to be joking - it's 50kph+ for me

(not sure I've ever gone as slow as 32kph on it tbh:D)

Wasn't you so!
    Most commuter electric bikes will have a massive battery

dsc0023.gif

The battery fit inside a standard rack bag, so not massive. The motor is obvious, but not to cyclists at speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BX 19 wrote: »
    200 more than when I got in the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CramCycle wrote: »

A few ex-UCD Scientists on here so...It's 180 points more than when I started...I still would've gotten in this year with my leaving cert points though ;)

My problem is that I never managed to get away from the place, in fact, I'm typing this from the library...f my l!

colm_gti wrote: »
    A few ex-UCD Scientists on here so...It's 180 points more than when I started...I still would've gotten in this year with my leaving cert points though ;)

My problem is that I never managed to get away from the place, in fact, I'm typing this from the library...f my l!

Hahaha I probably would have only made it to Tallaght or Ballyfermot with the points I got :D:D

I'm back in September for another while, not sure if I'm looking forward to it.

JJ library? Always hated that place, the heat of it. You would open a window to let some fresh air in and some biddy of a mature student would hobble over saying she was freezing and would catch pneumonia if it was left open.

Health Sci library is a nice spot, though I always preferred my lab :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CramCycle wrote: »

Going to date myself here but I did medicine at UCD (Pre-med was done with 1st year science) 26 points for medicine the (I got 27) and science was 21. WIth 2 years I wouldn't have got in to UCD and after 4 years none of the Irish colleges :o

You would open a window to let some fresh air in and some biddy of a mature student would hobble over saying she was freezing and would catch pneumonia if it was left open.

Careful, that's me ma!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Careful, that's me ma!

Not Yore Ma!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Hahaha I probably would have only made it to Tallaght or Ballyfermot with the points I got :D:D

I'm back in September for another while, not sure if I'm looking forward to it.

JJ library? Always hated that place, the heat of it. You would open a window to let some fresh air in and some biddy of a mature student would hobble over saying she was freezing and would catch pneumonia if it was left open.

Health Sci library is a nice spot, though I always preferred my lab :)

Vet library actually...I'm based in a lab in this building so just as easy...although with the place becoming a building site the noise is getting to me, JJ might be the only option soon if it's quiet you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

UCD forum over there lads, off ya go...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Oh look, there's a road bike in the next GTA game. The BMX was fun in San Andreas 8 years ago (8 years ago!).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Oh look, there's a road bike in the next GTA game. The BMX was fun in San Andreas 8 years ago (8 years ago!).

And it's still the best game ever..

And it's still the best game ever..

GTAIV is better imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think you can download the first few including San Andreas for free on Steam (and legal).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I think you can download the first few including San Andreas for free on Steam (and legal).

1 and 2 are free to download on the developers website too. They run nicely on old hardware and under powered stuff like netbooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hahaha I probably would have only made it to Tallaght or Ballyfermot with the points I got

I've been to 3 colleges and Tallaght is one of the better ones.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've been to 3 colleges and Tallaght is one of the better ones.

I'd never would have said they're worse. The social care course in Ballyfermot is one of the better respected ones in the country for example. The demand for them on points is generally going to be lower though compared to Trinity/UCD/UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah I know you weren't implying anything, animation in Ballyfermot us pretty well regarded too. When I was in Tallaght there was lots of consultations/partnerships with some of the tech multinationals with regards to course design and graduates from those courses had better practical experience than some of the university courses.

Had a glance at the points in Tallaght myself, they're not much different to those from 17/18 years ago, they never really changed too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement