Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Question for anyone really that cycles into work. Does anyone else here like myself work in an office that has no shower facilities. Do you still cycle and if so what's your plan of action for an improvised shower/wash? Would love to cycle in (30km) but it's the lack of a shower putting me off. Tried to sound out some gyms in the locality but they aren't interested at all in a shower only deal.

Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

iregk wrote: »
    Question for anyone really that cycles into work. Does anyone else here like myself work in an office that has no shower facilities. Do you still cycle and if so what's your plan of action for an improvised shower/wash? Would love to cycle in (30km) but it's the lack of a shower putting me off. Tried to sound out some gyms in the locality but they aren't interested at all in a shower only deal.

I cycle every day with a 30k round trip, and work in a Georgian office building with individual "domestic" type toilets each with a wash basin. It's no problem at all, I just keep a flannel and small towel in work which I change regularly-ish.

After a couple of years of doing this I'm not sure I could be bothered with a full shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ideas?

Business idea anyone?
    I was watching a cycling program on itv4 the other night and they showed a cycling 'gym' in London.
    Place was kitted out with a secure underground bike park, showers and changing rooms with lockers for rental.
    The also do dry cleaning and have a cafe onsite.

Seems like a great idea for a large urban area with many bike commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Last Friday my Garmin decided that I went from Dublin City centre to Ballymun in a straight line, maxed at 79kph and climbed 2200 metres. The device was in my backpack and unless I was kidnapped and brought to Ballymun and back by helicopter (not that I was aware of it) I can't understand it. I haven't been to Ballymun in months!

Explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The process by which any GPS device gets a lock on its position is a form of triangulation. It picks up the GPS signal from a number of different satellites, and using fancy differential maths it can then calculate its own position. The more satellites the GPS device picks up, the more accurate the triangulation will be. So pick up five satellites, you might get it accurate to within 100m. 15 satellites and the calculation may be accurate to within 2m.

I don't know the specifics of how the devices do it, but at some point the device decides that it has picked up enough signals and is confident enough in the calculation that it has gotten a "lock" on your position. This is the point where most devices confirm "ready" or show you on the map, or whatever.

Obviously the device can lose the signal again, and it should then stop recording your position. But sometimes before it abandons the lock, it keeps recording the data even if the lock is only accurate to within about 10km. In your case, the best position it could estimate was somewhere in Ballymun. The speed data then is just an extrapolation based on your last position.

It's happened to me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ideas?

I use this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-dry-shower-250ml/

It works pretty well. I cycle 12KM in and wouldn't be particularly sweaty by the time I arrive. I also have a flannel and towel that I use most days with a drop of shower gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

The Green Rock Racing one is decent, I've got a couple of bits of Festina kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

ROK ON wrote: »
    Business idea anyone?
    I was watching a cycling program on itv4 the other night and they showed a cycling 'gym' in London.
    Place was kitted out with a secure underground bike park, showers and changing rooms with lockers for rental.

On the face of it, sounds great. However you'd probably need so many of them in urban centres that it would be impractical for anyone commuting purely by bike. However, if you had facilities like this at outlying transit stops (thinking luas but also bus, train stations in commuter land etc?) you might be on to something?

In the same way public transport can push features such as free wifi, something like convenient but full-featured secure cycle facilities (not just bike parking, but showers, lockers, laundrettes, charging, maintenance) might improve the desirability of both widespread, efficient city centre public transport AND cycling?

Just riffing on that idea out loud. Could all be nonsense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

davenewt wrote: »
    On the face of it, sounds great. However you'd probably need so many of them in urban centres that it would be impractical for anyone commuting purely by bike. However, if you had facilities like this at outlying transit stops (thinking luas but also bus, train stations in commuter land etc?) you might be on to something?

Just stick it somewhere overpopulated with overpaid Freds, like the IFSC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

For Beasty, Lumen and anyone else from across the water

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    Just stick it somewhere overpopulated with overpaid Freds, like the IFSC.

I resemble that comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ROK ON wrote: »
    Business idea anyone?

Cyclebike on Abbey Street in Dublin used to offer this, AFAIK the shower and lockup facilities are now gone: Indo Article, shop site, no mention of showers now

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Just bumping this post by Darkglasses.
    There are only a few of us in the league so far!

ArgyBargyReinvented are ready to rock..hoping to bounce back from a difficult 2011/2012 season when they finished outside the top million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Found this on Cyclesuperstores facebook page.

"Some exciting news for anyone looking to join the Cycle SuperStore team - we're looking for a Service Manager to join us! Details below...

We are seeking to hire a highly motivated Parts and Service manager. The chosen candidate will be required to build on Cycle SuperStore’s successful Service department. They will need to demonstrate the following:

Excellent Customer Care skills.
    Organizational skills.
    Leadership skills to manage a team of 5-10.
    Passion for all things cycling.
    Cycling mechanical skills.

We are offering a very good package to the right candidate.

Please send CV to Conor@Cyclesuperstore.ie , and share to let your friends know!"

Some mechanics on here afaik...get everyone a boards discount if you get a job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Crow92 wrote: »

"Some exciting news for anyone looking to join the Cycle SuperStore team - we're looking for a Service Manager to join us! Details below...

We are seeking to hire a highly motivated Parts and Service manager. The chosen candidate will be required to build on Cycle SuperStores successful Service department. They will need to demonstrate the following:

Organizational skills.

Please send CV to Conor@Cyclesuperstore.ie , and share to let your friends know!"

Some mechanics on here afaik...get everyone a boards discount if you get a job ;)

Think ill close down the cave and get a real job again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

really? I don't think your customers would let you do that:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Holyboy wrote: »
    Think ill close down the cave and get a real job again! :)

Never do that!

Nearly came off twice today, from cars in a right-turning lane coming all the way across me. The idiots really come into their own on the windy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So how come, when I'm struggling manfully home into the teeth of a howling gale, barely managing to keep it around 20kph, does Raam manage to blow by me looking effortless. Happens every time!...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So how come, when I'm struggling manfully home into the teeth of a howling gale, barely managing to keep it around 20kph, does Raam manage to blow by me looking effortless. Happens every time!...
    Was he heading in the other direction?;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beasty wrote: »
    Was he heading in the other direction?;)
    Not by choice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

cdaly_ wrote: »

You suck! That's why!

Also, you have a greater frontal area than him! His nickname is toothpick one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Crow92 wrote: »

We are seeking to hire a highly motivated Parts and Service manager. The chosen candidate will be required to build on Cycle SuperStore’s successful Service department. They will need to demonstrate the following:

Ability with a price gun!!!:D
    Organizational skills.

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

first day covers arrived

217270.png

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just started commuting by electric bike. Mother of god is it fun. No hills, no wind and a constant 25kph (max 32kph) wherever I go. I'm still pedaling and arrive slightly sweaty, but it's a brilliant compromise between car and bike with exercise included. I put it together myself for far less than the bikes shops are selling them too. Very happy with it. Powered range is between 45-50km and it cost me €1200 including kit, battery, bike, lock, helmet etc etc. Well worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Confab wrote: »
    Just started commuting by electric bike. Mother of god is it fun. No hills, no wind and a constant 25kph (max 32kph) wherever I go. I'm still pedaling and arrive slightly sweaty, but it's a brilliant compromise between car and bike with exercise included. I put it together myself for far less than the bikes shops are selling them too. Very happy with it. Powered range is between 45-50km and it cost me €1200 including kit, battery, bike, lock, helmet etc etc. Well worth it.

Good to hear it! Any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good to hear it! Any pics?

It looks like a dog's dinner at the moment. I'll put up a pic once the wiring has been tidied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

From velonation:
    Hansen aiming to join exclusive list of riders to finish all three Grand Tours in one season

...The feat is a formidable test of endurance, recovery and determination and has been completed before by just over 30 riders.

Of those Spanish competitors have the best history: Marino Lejarreta holds the record in achieving the feat four times in one year; Bernardo Ruiz and Eduardo Chozas have done it three times, while Carlos Sastre has done it twice.

Lejarreta finished all three Tours four times in one year? I'm impressed!

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12645/Hansen-aiming-to-join-exclusive-list-of-riders-to-finish-all-three-Grand-Tours-in-one-season.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement