Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

It's a big can of worms that one. I'll crack the can open and let you have a peak inside.
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=oscar+pistorius

I am aware of all the hype and remember reading about it at the time. That was all in 2008 and the dust settled very quickly when it became evident that the supposed advantage was not real, as these articles and blogs purport. Where are the technological breakthroughs that were predicted to make him 2 seconds faster? Where are the athletes that have purposely undergone amputations? Why did Oscar Pistorius finish last in 400m final if he had so many advantages from his carbon fibre legs? As with most things that doomsayers predict (remember the Millenium Bomb?) they turn out to be overhyped and exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Walking Rates in America Improve, Still Pitiful
    There’s a new report out from the Centers for Disease Control that finds nearly 40 percent of American adults had not walked for a ten-minute period in the previous seven days. Yikes.
    http://streetsblog.net/2012/08/17/walking-rates-in-america-improve-still-pitiful/

Despite having lived there and seen first-hand how reluctant they are to walk, I was still surprised by this.

I wonder how bad the walking rate is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As with most things that doomsayers predict (remember the Millenium Bomb?) they turn out to be overhyped and exaggerated.
    While it may have been over hyped by the media it was very much a real issue with legacy systems but a lot of effort was put into preventing it becoming a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

AstraMonti wrote: »
    27C at 1:15am... Great drinking weather!
    Or a night ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

AstraMonti wrote: »
    27C at 1:15am... Great drinking weather!
    Pace yourself chef ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I am aware of all the hype and remember reading about it at the time. That was all in 2008 and the dust settled very quickly when it became evident that the supposed advantage was not real, as these articles and blogs purport. Where are the technological breakthroughs that were predicted to make him 2 seconds faster? Where are the athletes that have purposely undergone amputations? Why did Oscar Pistorius finish last in 400m final if he had so many advantages from his carbon fibre legs? As with most things that doomsayers predict (remember the Millenium Bomb?) they turn out to be overhyped and exaggerated.
    It's all in the many articles I just linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Thinking of doing some touring around New Zealand. Anyone know of any blogs or sites that I could use as a reference?

Try these:

http://www.cycletour.org.nz/index.html

http://www.vorb.org.nz/rez_display.php?c=245&mode=news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Take a toddler, some garish pink nail varnish, and some free time. Paint toddler's nails. Eventually succumb to toddler's requests to paint your nails in return by offering up a sacrificial thumb. Watch toddler go, as she insists on the full professional job of clear undercoat, pink varnish, and clear top coat. Marvel at finished thumb, which looks like it lost a battle with a hammer in a particularly gory horror flick, commend toddler on a "great job!".

Go to busy playground with toddler, where the sun glistens on your brightly coloured thumb. Observe sympathetic glances from mothers, note suspicious glances from fathers.

For added effect, momentarily forget about your painted thumb and wave your hand around carelessly while standing near a cluster of parents. It helps if you are clutching your toddler's doll's buggy (a pink one, natch) under one arm. Note looks from fathers change from suspicious to hostile.

It's also quite odd glancing at what you are doing occasionally and seeing what appears to be someone else's thumb trying to help you. I should probably clean the nail varnish off at this stage, but it's starting to grow on me, and it actually goes well with some of my cycling kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@doozerie, you're a very strange man. I think you should open a blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I often see a guy cycling in Dublin who's lost an arm. Respect!!!
    I see him regularly myself and he tips along nicely. Heavy/sudden braking can't be easy. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

I was watching the Vuelta time trials this evening with my 10 year old daughter. I was explaining to her that coincidently, the 16.2km distance. was exactly the same as my commute to work yet the fastest time I've ever managed was 29 minutes- 10 minutes longer than the pro's.

Her response: "Yes Daddy, but they don't close the roads for you, and you have to stop at the lights and bring your clothes".

Gotta love them! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Meanwhile, over in Athletics/Running

Cyclists are perhaps not as "creative" as athletes ...

Does anyone remember maybe in the last 5 years that a collection of photos from a cycling photographer in the early 20th century were released? Think he used to write/photograph for the Irish Times. Can anyone remember his name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Meanwhile, over in Athletics/Running

Cyclists are perhaps not as "creative" as athletes ...

Tut tut! Pay attention willya? AstraMonti, this thread, 15th Aug

Dónal wrote: »
    Does anyone remember maybe in the last 5 years that a collection of photos from a cycling photographer in the early 20th century were released? Think he used to write/photograph for the Irish Times. Can anyone remember his name?
    Would it be Robert L. Chapman's Ireland - Photographs from the Chapman Collection 1907-1957 Published in 2008 by The Collins Press

Some fantastic cycling photographs in it. It was €24.95 in Easons according to the price tag on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

man shed is coming along. building is complete, and im working on decorating the inside at the moment. painting the walls, ceilling and carnish the floor. Build in a workspace, storage and a workbench (about 16 sq foot) with an air compressor, and full set of tools. Also plan on having a table top or under counter fridge, air humidifier, nice tv and surround sound, sattellite tv, nice couch made from the rear seats of an alfa 166 (lovely grey momo leather seats), turbo trainer and all my bikes and bike bits. Its awesome!

lennymc wrote: »
    man shed is coming along. building is complete, and im working on decorating the inside at the moment. painting the walls, ceilling and carnish the floor. Build in a workspace, storage and a workbench (about 16 sq foot) with an air compressor, and full set of tools. Also plan on having a table top or under counter fridge, air humidifier, nice tv and surround sound, sattellite tv, nice couch made from the rear seats of an alfa 166 (lovely grey momo leather seats), turbo trainer and all my bikes and bike bits. Its awesome!
    Use the opportunity to install steel floor anchors for securing the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Is it normal for a wheel to be out of true after only 900km? I don't recall hitting any especially bad potholes. The spoke that was loose spanned across the light reflectors, should I just remove the reflector?

Ordered a proper spoke wrench from crc anyway, think my pliers was starting to damage things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Use the opportunity to install steel floor anchors for securing the bikes.

....and a single bed.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i have lots of security and a couple of dogs who will lick any intruders to death!!

Surinam wrote: »
    Is it normal for a wheel to be out of true after only 900km? I don't recall hitting any especially bad potholes. The spoke that was loose spanned across the light reflectors, should I just remove the reflector?

Anyone? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Surinam wrote: »

Ordered a proper spoke wrench from crc anyway, think my pliers was starting to damage things :D

Depend on load of different factors.
    Factory built or handbuilt, usually handbuilt will stay true a lot longer.
    Your weight depending on the wheels. (some wheels have 100kg limit on them)
    Your riding style, hitting potholes or off kerbs, how you approach speed ramps.

It's a very cheap thing to get fixed in a shop, or great to learn to do yourself. Never us a pliers. You'll round off the edges and have to put in a nipple if you want to adjust it. I don't think it was the reflector that did anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Crow92 wrote: »

not in my experience although factory ones tend to be harder to fix when they do go)

Crow92 wrote: »
    Depend on load of different factors.
    Your weight depending on the wheels. (some wheels have 100kg limit on them)
    Your riding style, hitting potholes or off kerbs, how you approach speed ramps.

It's a very cheap thing to get fixed in a shop, or great to learn to do yourself. Never us a pliers. You'll round off the edges and have to put in a nipple if you want to adjust it. I don't think it was the reflector that did anything though.

Ye it was factory built and I just noticed a wobble between the break calipers when it was on the stand. I've been looking at youtube videos to try and teach myself how to fix them. Can't find anything to suggest the light reflectors might be affecting the spokes.

Also, I'm only 11 stone so that shouldn't be an issue. I always avoid bumps and potholes and the bike has never crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Overtook some lycra clad dude on a road bike this morning on the N32. The look on his face was priceless, he never knew I was riding an electric bike. Sure enough enough he zooms past me a few minutes later, eager to repair his damaged pride. Is the Lycra gang really that touchy or was he an exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Confab wrote: »
    Overtook some lycra clad dude on a road bike this morning on the N32. The look on his face was priceless, he never knew I was riding an electric bike. Sure enough enough he zooms past me a few minutes later, eager to repair his damaged pride. Is the Lycra gang really that touchy or was he an exception?

We're all the same. Every single one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Touchy, lycra clad dude on the N32??? Sounds like a certain mod from these here parts, Beasty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jawgap wrote: »
    Touchy, lycra clad dude on the N32??? Sounds like a certain mod from these here parts, Beasty ;)

Well if it is him I'll let him slipstream behind me when he's puffed :D Either that or he'll have to average >32kph to get much ahead. I kept up to him after he passed anyway.

I love electric bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well if it is him I'll let him slipstream behind me when he's puffed :D Either that or he'll have to average >32kph to get much ahead. I kept up to him after he passed anyway.

I love electric bikes.

Well done, you used a motor to keep up with someone who used their lungs and leg power. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement