Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

doozerie wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of hearing some doctor or other being asked something along these lines in a radio program a few years back and he said something about the gas being reabsorbed and eventually escaping your body on your breath*. Which is lovely really.

* Basically, someone or other said something about this at some point in the past, somewhere or other, and in relation to some question or other. Therefore it must be true...

This is correct. According to Wikipedia:
    Not all flatus is released from the body via the anus. When the partial pressure of any gas component of the intestinal lumen is higher than its partial pressure in the blood, that component enters into the bloodstream of the intestinal wall by the process of diffusion. As the blood passes through the lungs, this gas can diffuse back out of the blood and be exhaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Trevor Ward scales the heights of Manchester velodrome for a first taste of track cycling: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/aug/23/track-cycling-manchester-velodrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Cycling along the Dublin North quays this morning, bus lane clear immediately ahead of me, I saw a taxi pulled into one of the side roads but stopped parallel to the bus lane. He was blocking the side road, with no indicator on, but I've long since stopped trying to figure out what form of "reasoning" some people apply to what they do. As I approached he pulled out in front of me, he couldn't even bother flicking on his "this entitles to me do bleedin' anything" indicator.

I hit the brakes, did my generic "what the hell?" wave of the hand, and as he approached a line of stopped traffic in the bus lane I went past him on the left. Or at least I tried to, he drove his car towards the kerb as I was alongside and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid being squashed. He pulled back out and drove on, I yelled. A few metres further on he had to stop behind a bus, I saw his driver window open so moved up on his right. He literally swung the car to the right, presumably to block me off, but I had just enough room to move up to his window.

I was well and truly pissed now and my question of "What are you doing?" came out as a yell. His response was a brainless "FOOK YEW!", I sometimes wonder whether there is an special taxi driver school that some of them opt to attend where they are taught an attitude problem, some sweary words, and a complete inability to communicate - it may be the same school that offers a module on "What's wrong with the world and how you, and only you, have the knowledge to remedy it". I was inches from his face, something he was presumably conscious of as he quickly raised his window after his outburst. I knew the tall ships were in town, it seems like the small sh1ts are too.

The red mist descended, various options flashed across my mind, most of which involved yer man in some discomfort. My inner toerag urged me to "G'wan, do it, tear the roof off the car and pluck him outta his seat!", my inner middle-aged reasonable person urged me to "Leave it, leave it. Let it go, he's not worth it". I opted for a kind of middle ground and just hollered some sweary words back at him before cycling off. I spent the next few minutes fighting my inner toerag's efforts to turn the bike round and go back. I think I audibly growled several times over the next few hundred metres. I pity yer man's passengers, it can't be fun being driven around by a cranky and aggressive hoor.

At two different junctions further along the road several pedestrians walked out in front of me as I had a green light. I turned onto one of the lesser parallel roads to find a cycling courier cycling straight towards me, him completely on the wrong side of the road, his face registering some combination of surprise and annoyance at something actually using that side of the road. The garda standing only a few metres behind me either didn't see or didn't care to see. My inner toerag was threatening to kick my inner reasonable person in the teeth and let rip at this stage. I've managed to keep it under control but it is on a hair trigger at the moment, it may be an eventful ride later. <inner turmoil smiley>

at least you weren't cycling along happy out when out of no where a farmer decides to pass you out with a slurry tank with the valve open on the left hand side :( god damn it i smelled like ****e for an hour.

the fecker stopped around 5 mins after passing me out to close the tank, I speed up to give him a bit of my mind but he saw me coming and hopped along fairly swiftly :mad: oh irish cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@Icyseanfitz, That's shocking on the part of the farmer, and I'd expect he was breaking the law too by polluting all and sundry. What an absolute moron!

just after disassembling the bike to give everything a thorough cleaning as well :mad: and now its covered in ****e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

@Icyseanfitz, That's shocking on the part of the farmer, and I'd expect he was breaking the law too by polluting all and sundry. What an absolute moron!

Yes, that's quite serious. A lot of work goes into protecting water quality and whatnot from slurry spreading. My father, my old housemate, and his father all worked in that area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bechermann

@Icyseanfitz I work on a farm, and do a fair amount of slurry spreading...what sort of a feckin idiot must he have been to leave the valve open in the first place...pure stupidity. I feel your pain, I know how the smell can linger!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone know if McCormacks on Dorset street is still open and if they sell tubes? or should I just get off my backside and go down to cycleways at lunch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Courtesy of Doctor Bike......

378174_461141043907938_226779539_n.jpg

.....beats cereal bars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I finally configured the media jukebox software on my multimedia player recently. It scans all the movies on the hard disk and based on the movie filenames it pulls down the corresponding details for the movie, including DVD cover art, from online services like IMDB. I can then browse through the films by their cover art rather than by boring file names.

There were a few glitches with it pulling down info for the wrong movie, as the software is quite "sensitive" to the file names. It hadn't occurred to me that the software would search for the information for *every* video file on the disk, including short movie trailers which often tend to have names like "sample.mkv". Innocuous enough name, you would have thought. Imagine my surprise then, when browsing later through the cover art of my collection of movies, to be confronted with the following movie which I supposedly have several copies of in my collection:

Semen, a Love Sample

MV5BMjA2MjA3NjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU0MjMzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR33,0,214,317_.jpg

It's only a matter of time before the local parish priest breaks the door down to drown the house in holy water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Life sucks sometimes. We are on holidays and we had our bags stolen. We lost all kind of ****, ipad, camera, clothes, shoes, jewellery, etc etc.. Nothing that can't be replaced.. but it will cost us quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

That really sucks, Astra. I hope you can manage to put it out of your mind and enjoy the rest of the holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

1345831567498_4242656.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Neil Armstrong has passed away

220px-Neil_Armstrong_pose.jpg

RIP

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

:(

On a slight upside, he lived to see Curiosity on Mars. Inspirations for many of those working in NASA today.

Also, we need more of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not a good week for Armstrongs, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Who knew sailing/yachting were so popular in Ireland?;)

Jeez the crowds in Howth today were only massive. Crawled down from the Summit towards Sutton with the amount of cars!
    The tall ships did look nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I went up the Sutton side earlier this morning and hung around for a while there. On the way down towards Howth I zipped down. Wait for it. Strava on the iPhone registered 124kph....no wonder I was buzzing

So, as cyclists, can I ask you how does it feel to have as many TdF wins as Lance Armstrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

t'bear wrote: »
    I went up the Sutton side earlier this morning and hung around for a while there. On the way down towards Howth I zipped down. Wait for it. Strava on the iPhone registered 124kph....no wonder I was buzzing

Seriously, you did 124kph/77mph on a bike?? My max speed so far is only 64kph! :o In my defence, Meath doesn't have many great descents and I haven't gone near the Wicklow mountains yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Nah. I was highlighting the pitfalls of gps/iPhone data loss. It was 55kph on the cateye. Max

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

For any space documentary fans this is fantastic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifxjq9VSvt0

The take off scene and then the moon landing bit is just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Piece in the Sunday Times In Gear section today about STRAVA featuring Ryan Sherlock and Melanie Spath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

5166662_460s.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

5166662_460s.jpg

someone looks at ylyl :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    ...At the precise moment I start moving up the inside of the straight lane (in the cycle lane), a woman turns out of a left turn and into the left-turn lane. I swear if I'd been on a wider flat-barred bike I would've been wedged between her and the tailback. As it was I gave her a couple of roars, but she refused to make eye contact with me.

I passed this woman this morning as she was waiting to come out of the same left-turn. I may not have endeared the cycling community to her by shooting her filthy looks and mouthing '**** you' at her. She'll probably try run down someone else now. But I am only human.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I want to punch the weather in the face.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I want to punch the weather in the face.

dont we all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement