Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Slutwalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I abhore rape but if someone was going to do a rape it makes sense that it would be on someone in easily accesible clothes, Mini skirt for example is easy access, so although it's not and never should be an excuse for rape you are definetly putting yourself at higher risk of it, also mini skirts are quite sexy so it would attract someone easier too

I like girls dressing sexy so don't want this to change! but let's get real-it definetly highers chances of attack, groping etc

Not even due to you looking slutty-sexy and easy accessible i'd imagine would be the reasons.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

DeVore wrote: »
    these are my thoughts on the matter. I dont necessaraily have a conclusion but maybe we can enlighten each other. :)

Firstly, when I use the word "rape" I'm talking about a violent attack on an unsuspecting person (I'll use "woman" for ease of reading).
    I'm not talking about a sexual encounter that gets out of hand and potentially involves misunderstanding/miscommunication/ whatever. While I believe "No means No" I just want to discuss "on the street" attacks, as thats what most people mean when they discuss clothing affecting "rape".

So, here are some "seemingly" contradictory thoughts. They arent contradictory but they might seem so if you dont think them through carefully and logically.

1. No woman should ever be raped. Nothing the woman can do can excuse or lessen the guilt of the rapist. She could be nude and it wouldnt matter.

2. Women absolutely have the right to wear whatever they see fit to. Thats their choice and they should not be vilified for it. It shouldnt matter what she was wearing.

3. Just as women should be allowed to wear what they like, I should be able to walk where I like, when I like. I should not get robbed regardless of time or place where I choose to exercise my right of freedom of movement.

4. If I walk down some inner city streets wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase at night (as I have had to at times, i lived in North Central for a long time).... that should not excuse the thief if I am robbed.

5. It does make me rather silly if I insist on doing it repeatedly.

Now. we can all agree I shouldnt be robbed. Its not right. Its not right that I am constrained from walking where I like, when I like. Thats just wrong.

But until its safe, I would accept criticism from others to say "well, what the hell were you doing there at that time? You were foolish and bound to be robbed".

It doesnt make it right but if you want to believe we live in a perfect society you are going to find out in a very unpleasant way that we just DONT.

We *should* and we should never stop trying to.... but right now, we just dont.

DeV.
    I'd agree with that if there are stats to show that if a woman dresses provocatively she is more likely to be raped. Is there any truth in the whole thing? It's been pointed out that rape isn't so much a sexual thing, more a power thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Besides the Slutwalk is not only about rape it is about sexuality and a woman's right to freely express hers without infringement.

Perhaps a woman dresses sexy to impress men or other woman. But a man dresses in suits, brands or tracksuits to impress their peers who are usually men. Otherwise we would all shop in Dunnes all the time.

We are just as capable to dress to impress other men as women are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If all women wear short skirts and fishnets, then it wouldn't be slutty, it would just be the norm. Win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Here's my attitude to the whole 'revealing clothes'/rape thing:

If I want to, I should be able to leave the doors and windows in my house open when I go out to work. However, due to human nature, it's quite likely that when I get back the place will have been robbed.

Now, I did not help myself when I left the house open, but that in no way excuses the people who came into my house and robbed my stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Does this mean I can finally parade down the boardwalk with my rainbow thong disappearing up the crack of my arse?

Wattle wrote: »
    Does this mean I can finally parade down the boardwalk with my rainbow thong disappearing up the crack of my arse?

Jesus NO

That would just be offensive and you would turn to many people into stone.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

don't they?
    No of course not. Don't any of you know the meaning of the word 'cause'?
    this notion that women should be able to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants, and somehow be immune from negative attention is a pipe dream.
    strawmen - strawmen everywhere! Nobody said she should be immune from negative attention. But she shouldn't be told that she ''caused'' the rape.
    In an ideal world we could all wear what we want, when we wanted, but we don't live in an ideal world. A woman can't wear what she wants and demand only one kind of attention,
    one kind of attention? as opposed to the violent rape and sexual assault kind, is it? The claim isn't 'we should only get positive attention' - it's 'we shouldn't be held responsible for being raped because of what we're wearing' and/or ''what I'm wearing shouldn't make it more understandable if I'm raped'
    I do think women who wear revealing clothing on a night out are morel likely to be interested in finding a man for a sexual relationship. I think it fairly obvious that's the case.
    No it isn't. Nearly all women wear revealing clothing on a night out. They aren't all looking for a man. Getting dressed up is the standard thing to do. People dress up on nights out more to fit in than to attract men.

Just because I walk the streets with two grand in fifties hanging out of my back pocket, I am more likely to be robbed. If I get told doing that increased my chances of being robbed, is that wrong?
    You are not comparing like with like. Women don't have 'rape me' signs hanging out of them either. Getting dressed up is standard practice - it's what is expected and it's seen to be the appropriate clothing for a night out. Likewise, having some money with you on a night out is standard, expected and appropriate. If somebody said to you that having money with you on a night out caused others to think you were up for a bit of violent robbery..then you could compare.
    But until its safe, I would accept criticism from others to say "well, what the hell were you doing there at that time? You were foolish and bound to be robbed". It doesnt make it right but if you want to believe we live in a perfect society you are going to find out in a very unpleasant way that we just DONT.
    Nobody is acting like they live in the perfect society. Are you saying that women dressing in revealing clothes are ''foolish and bound to be robbed raped''? Do you think all the women who get dressed up for nights out are behaving in a foolish and risky manner? If so, should we all make sure all skin and body parts are covered? Is there ever a point where what you're asking of women becomes too much? e.g. if it's foolish to dress up, should all women dress down? If it's riskier to drink, should women abstain from alcohol? If it's risky to be out at night on your own, should women never go out unaccompanied after dark? Seeing as most sex attacks are perpetrated by partners, friends and acquaintances, should women avoid being on their own with men?

If I walked down an alley in a dodgy are wearing an expensive suit and watch, and tapping at an iPad, I would be partially to blame for being mugged,
    no you wouldn't.
    I like girls dressing sexy so don't want this to change! but let's get real-it definetly highers chances of attack, groping etc
    ...and so women are stuck between two conflicting messages 'dress up - it's hot' and 'you're partly to blame for being raped/you were asking for it/your fault for wearing those clothes'. If you were a woman, what would you do? Would you dress up and accept whatever you get as being partly your fault, or would you cover your body at all times and accept rejection and ridicule because of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

thought that was the walk of shame?

I woulda called it the stride of pride :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

No woman is ever even remotely partly responsible for being raped.

For fcuk sake people, some of you need your head checked.

A rapist, is a fcuking scum rapist, no matter what the woman was wearing.

I'd be certain that if someone got the numbers together, what the woman was wearing had no bearing on the incident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

what is this thread about?

we all agree rape is terrible

we all agree women can wear what they want

sometimes i feel like people just want to go on a bitter tirade against the opposite sex because they are bored or want to justify their existence or they never got a text back from the person they snogged at the club last night

if someone gropes you in a nightclub and if it bothers you so much then take it up with the individual responsible and take any measures/action necessary you can with bouncers/management etc

personally i am so tired of hearing men are like this/men are like that/men are more likely to do this that and the other - deal with the specific problem and individual involved and take your tired crazed generalisations far from my eyes please or I'll organise some kind of walk where i protest about being constantly associated with people who do horrible things when I am an angel, yes we'll call it angelwalk, now i'm off to purchase some wings, eyre square 4pm tomorrow anybody?

personally i am so tired of hearing men are like this/men are like that/men are more likely to do this that and the other - deal with the specific problem and individual involved and take your tired crazed generalisations far from my eyes please
    I don't know who you're aiming this at but I don't think most people are arguing ''all men are xyz'' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No woman is ever even remotely partly responsible for being raped.For fcuk sake people, some of you need your head checked.

Cross wires once again.
    strawmen - strawmen everywhere! Nobody said she should be immune from negative attention. But she shouldn't be told that she ''caused'' the rape..

Well done Lee. Except we've moved on from telling people they caused rape, to people in pubs and nightclubs getting the attention they were looking for, and then when it crosses a line freaking out. There is more to dressing extremely 'provocatively' than being blamed for getting raped. There is also the women who will dress up to the nines and then act shocked or roll their eyes if they get a wolf whistle for example. I remember listening to a friend of a friend in a pub complaining that a group of lads at a table near us were 'leering' at her. She was also wearing a skirt so short she wouldn't sit down while she was wearing it because it 'would give everyone a show'. Of another aspect of this scenario is if the table of lads looked like Leonardo DiCaprio she probably wouldn't have been complaining at all.
    one kind of attention? as opposed to the violent rape and sexual assault kind, is it? The claim isn't 'we should only get positive attention' - it's 'we shouldn't be held responsible for being raped because of what we're wearing' and/or ''what I'm wearing shouldn't make it more understandable if I'm raped'..

Perhaps you could take a breather and catch up to the rest of us. We've diversified the discussion.
    No it isn't. Nearly all women wear revealing clothing on a night out. They aren't all looking for a man. Getting dressed up is the standard thing to do. People dress up on nights out more to fit in than to attract men...

Lol, seriously? ..and why would they need to dress up to 'fit in'? Is it perhaps because others are dressed up? ...and why are they dressed up? Why is it the standard thing to do? You are just being daft if you are going to argue that people in a social context do not primarily dress up as a means of getting attention from the opposite, or possibly same, sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Typical Galway horsesh!t in fairness....

There isn't a cause people won't march or protest against because it's what they've done for decades. Even during the Celtic Tiger Years Galway was an employment blackspot full of hippies and wasters...there, I said it...

Slutwalk pffffttt...the whole concept belittles their cause. which is a serious cause but playing dress up is just bringing the wrong kind of attention.

Lol, seriously? ..and why would they need to dress up to 'fit in'? Is it perhaps because others are dressed up? ...and why are they dressed up? Why is it the standard thing to do? You are just being daft if you are going to argue that people in a social context do not primarily dress up as a means of getting attention from the opposite, or possibly same, sex.
    now now refrain from name-calling. It isn't daft. I'd say I've dressed up to attract somebody about 10-15 times in my life. I've dressed up to fit in countless countless times.
    Perhaps you could take a breather and catch up to the rest of us. We've diversified the discussion
    I've taken a (lunch) break and caught up with the discussion but it's essentially the same. You claimed that women cause men to think they're ''up for it''. You still seem to think the same. Some posters (male and female)have talked about being assaulted in nightclubs. The line of argument seems essentially the same - do women's clothes cause men to attack, assault etc them? And now I'm asking is there any demand that can be made for the sake of women's safety that is a step too far.

now now refrain from name-calling. It isn't daft. I'd say I've dressed up to attract somebody about 10-15 times in my life. I've dressed up to fit in countless countless times.

To fit in with who? Other people who are dressed up. What are the other people dressed up for? :rolleyes: Jesus wept.
    I've taken a (lunch) break and caught up with the discussion but it's essentially the same. You claimed that women cause men to think they're ''up for it''. You still seem to think the same..

You've just stated that you have dressed up to attract someone. Therefore you dressed up with the intention of hoping to give someone the impression that you might be 'up for it'.... notice up for it does not equate to up for being raped before you go down that cul de sac again. Now you are trying to say women dress up to attract men, but not to cause them to think that they might be 'up for it'?
    And now I'm asking is there any demand that can be made for the sake of women's safety that is a step too far.

Of course you are, because you're fighting windmills. There's a red chauvinist/misogynist/taliban mullah/rapist under the bed.

By the by it's a sad state of affairs if you have to dress like a slapper so as to 'fit in' and not to be ridiculed.
    Would you dress up and accept whatever you get as being partly your fault, or would you cover your body at all times and accept rejection and ridicule because of it?

..and there's a huge difference between dressing up sexily and maturely and dressing like a €50 Reeperbahn hooker. No one has argued you shouldn't/can't dress up, or dress to impress or look good, or that you have to cover every inch of flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

prinz wrote: »
    Cross wires once again.

Who's crossing wires?? I responded to a number of times during this thread that this particular insinuation has occurred.

So where are wires crossed, or are you incapable of actually reading a thread?

I don't recall directing anything at you anyway.

You've just stated that you have dressed up to attract someone. Therefore you dressed up with the intention of hoping to give someone the impression that you might be 'up for it'...
    I've asked you already to explain the meaning of ''up for it''. If you mean ''up for sex'', then no that is not a valid argument. Wanting to attract somebody does not necessarily entail wanting to have sex with them. I don't want to have sex with everyone I am attracted to. Likewise I don't want to have sex with everyone I want to attract - often, I'd just like to get their attention and get to know them better
    Of course you are, because you're fighting windmills. There's a red chauvinist/misogynist/taliban mullah/rapist under the bed.
    I don't know what you're trying to say here. And you haven't answered my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Seeing as it's not based on any high-profile case, I think it's going to send mixed messages at best.

So, on the basis that there haven't been any major rape cases in Ireland - that have been reported - of late, these women don't have any real reason to protest? :rolleyes:

There aren't any mixed messages; Just a clear one - They're driving the point that what a person chooses to wear does not mean they have the right to be violated, assaulted or used for someone else's pleasure.

It shouldn't need to come to another horrific crime for these people to feel the need to express their point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

Of course the March isn't going to change everything :rolleyes:, what it is aiming to do is get in the news the message that it is okay for women to dress like that and not be groped. Which it has achieved, It is in the news, and we are discussing it here.

"The vastest majority of men are as far removed from rape', how could you possibly know? How do you know what anyone is thinking apart from yourself? Or how could I know? All I know is the many friends who have said to me about being groped in nightclub.

And obviously it has happened to enough women, that they are organising marches about it in several countries.

"No sense, bawling nonsense" it is you sounding bitter not me.:rolleyes:

I know because the vast majority of men are not rapists, and that has always been the case. What you want to construe their thoughts as is up to you and your type, but stats show that rape is committed by a tiny minority, and therefore is for removed from the vastest majority of men. Quite simple really.

Who is talking about bitterness, apart from you? You are the one using the "rolleyes" smilie if you want to get down to that level.

Any musicians among you, I am sure you could get a dance song and craze up called the slutwalk, you never know, it might become an Anthem and make you sqillions, if it wasn't for illegal downloads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've taken a (lunch) break and caught up with the discussion but it's essentially the same. You claimed that women cause men to think they're ''up for it''. You still seem to think the same. Some posters (male and female)have talked about being assaulted in nightclubs. The line of argument seems essentially the same - do women's clothes cause men to attack, assault etc them? And now I'm asking is there any demand that can be made for the sake of women's safety that is a step too far.

Why do you think it is women spend so much money on their clothes hair and just so happen to expose parts of their body that attracts men?

For the most part women attract men through how they look and men do the approaching, this is why you dress the way you do when you go out. If men weren't attracted to breasts you and the rest of women wouldn't expose part of your breasts when out.

I've asked you already to explain the meaning of ''up for it''.

Ah please, come on will you?
    If you mean ''up for sex'', then no that is not a valid argument. Wanting to attract somebody does not necessarily entail wanting to have sex with them. I don't want to have sex with everyone I am attracted to. Likewise I don't want to have sex with everyone I want to attract - often, I'd just like to get their attention and get to know them better.

Yes, anything, anything to get away from the notion that a woman might actually be trying to attract someone for the purposes of an encounter of a sexual nature. Next you'll be saying the ones you see in the city centre on a freezing wet November night dressed like a prossie from Patayya are only dressed that way because they find it comfortable. Pretty pointless from here on in tbh. 'I'm dressed like a Hustler centrefold because I'd like to find out more about your personality silly'
    I don't know what you're trying to say here. And you haven't answered my question

It's a stupid question and when you work out what I was trying to say you'll understand why it's a stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

It shouldn't need to come to another horrific crime for these people to feel the need to express their point.

Oh come on, this is a big giant crusade by some big giant women on their bitter protest against the "evil menz".

It isn't illegal to dress a certain way so they have no need to protest.

If men weren't attracted to breasts you and the rest of women wouldn't expose part of your breasts when out.

I expose my breasts when I go out? Who knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I don't really see the whole point in the line of debate around why women dress in a revealing manner. What's your point Prinz?

Oh come on, this is a big giant crusade by some big giant women on their bitter protest against the "evil menz".

It isn't illegal to dress a certain way so they have no need to protest.

They are not protesting about what they wear. They are protesting against attitudes and assumptions taken about what they wear. Attitudes like yours, which to be frank, is saying to me a woman is complicit in her rape by what she is wearing and a woman deserves to be treated derogatory and as a sex object by what she chooses to wear.

I know what you are saying, they have an option, to dress in sexless clothes like a nijab or as Mao Chinese women use to.

All they want to do is highlight attitudes, that's all, that may not change anything but it will add to awareness of the women's cause in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I don't know who you're aiming this at but I don't think most people are arguing ''all men are xyz'' :confused:

Well exactly, and I don't think anyone is arguing "if you wear x then you deserve to be raped" either. People seem to be inventing positions to argue against. On here, in Galway, everywhere...

See, it's just like I've been saying all these years, you're all idiots and as usual I'm right about everything. We can agree on that much surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

While I don't condone women groping men either, I believe that there usually is a difference in terms of power relations.

If a girl gropes a guy it's a rare event, but guys grope girls much more often, you can see that in any nightclub on any night. Therefore it's much more tiresome for women.

More importantly, by and large, a guy will be much physically stronger than a girl meaning if he chooses to grope her forcefully or even rape her, there might not be much she could do to stop it, physically. And lots of men persist in trying to chat up or grope a girl who's not interested, which can be very intimidating.
    So a guy groping a girl can be threatening.

Think of it like the principle behind bullying. It's the more powerful (physically, in this sense) attacking the weaker.

exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't figure it out :)

like it or not there are double standards in society, and they're there because they're accepted. many girls like to play the dainty helpless pretty role, many guys like to be seen as tough masculine types that people don't mess with. and before all the girls on boards come in saying ':eek: I don't do that!', just about every girl does it in one way or another.

but anyway that's not what this is about.

I'll hold my hands up and say that I am one of those people that would automatically wonder what the circumstances were of a rape taking place (including how a girl was dressed). I realise it's wrong, and I don't know where it comes from. I also would think less of a guy getting his bum pinched in a bar than a girl.

Advertisement