Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Slutwalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

mikemac wrote: »
    From your link OP

But is there not an element of risk management?
    Maybe I'd love to walk down dark alleys while drunk but if I get jumped and mugged I didn't take all the precautions I could. And I'd get little sympathy around here.

It's not an ideal world and there are bad people out there and dressing in a certain way can provoke a reaction.
    For example wearing heels means you may struggle to run away

I agree with taking necessary precautions, you would in any walk of life.

Jaysus people should be allowed to wear what they want without fear of being forced to **** somebody they didn't want to ****?! I wouldn't want some butch lady jumping me for the large bulge in my pants. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Are there any actual stats to say a woman is more likely to be assaulted if she is dressed in such a manner?

Yes.

If they're wearing a skirt above the ankle then they're 100% more likely to get groped by men in Copper's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Oh jesus...Slutwalk girls...

I'm out.

It's ideas like this that people need to do away with. Girls don't need to be good looking to be raped. Rape is about power and dominance, not sex.

I remember reading an american article abut a girl who had reported rape and the police officer said "who would rape you?" and laughed.

These type of comments on here set us back to the stone age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

You pretty much know that a civilization is about to go down the pan when the 'rights' you fight for go from, freedom, the right to vote and equality to .....the right to stagger down a street with your panties spinning aroud your left ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If a woman wears extremely revealing outfits, they will court, whether welcome or unwelcome, attention from the opposite sex. On a more extreme scale, their outfit may cause certain men to think that they're 'up for it' on a night out and behave with less respect towards them.

In an ideal world, that wouldn't happen, however, that's the world we live in. To quote Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times, "I have a perfect right to leave my windows open when I nip to the shops for some fags, without being burgled. It doesn’t lessen the guilt of the burglar that I’ve left my window open, or even remotely suggest that I was deserving of being burgled. Just that it was more likely to happen."

There should be a certain amount of risk management, concerning the outfit you wear, your company and where you're heading before you head out and to march for society to ensure that such precautions are unnecessary is laudable, but I fear unlikely to change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ironic thing is, most feminists are so bet down looking they can dress as slutty as they want, but there's still not a hope most men would ride them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

This is disgusting.

I certainly do not think that the way a girl is dressed should EVER be an excuse to rape her.

But what the fck is the point in a big group of girls tarting themselves up and basically proclaiming themselves to be "sluts"? Counterproductive surely?

All it's doing is creating a mental association between the word "slut" and girls who are dressed a certain way. For some, this is creating a link; for others, it is reinforcing an opinion they already held. Either way, can't see how these "slutwalks" could possibly help any cause.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Sexy Slut Victim. :eek: Ima gonna be sick.

What's your issue with this picture. Let's pin it down. That she's unattractive? So you think she won't be raped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

Let's pin it down.

ah now I tell ya you'll need more than pins. some heavy duty storm resistant tent pegs, whaling nets and a couple of stout longshoremen will probably just about do the job

Matthew23 wrote: »
    It really is this kind of thing that give women such a bad name...and the fact that their dopes! :pac:

Jesus. First of all stop generalising, second of all; what's your issue with the woman here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

smash wrote: »
    I really hope they don't!

An unplanned Wet T-Shirt contest then! :D

Jesus. First of all stop generalising, second of all; what's your issue with the woman here?

anything else while im at it mom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I agree.

Perhaps also they should reclaim the concept of stripping from the patriarchal warmongers and put on a strip show.

I suggest Destabilizing The Sexist Signifier Of Striptease: Shedding Our Clothes as a working title.

Wet T-Shirt Competitions, Mud-Wresting and Naked Female Rodeo are all other contested arenas of sexism that must be reclaimed.

This is disgusting.

I certainly do not think that the way a girl is dressed should EVER be an excuse to rape her.

But what the fck is the point in a big group of girls tarting themselves up and basically proclaiming themselves to be "sluts"? Counterproductive surely?

All it's doing is creating a mental association between the word "slut" and girls who are dressed a certain way. For some, this is creating a link; for others, it is reinforcing an opinion they already held. Either way, can't see how these "slutwalks" could possibly help any cause.

"tarting themselves up" show's your own opinion of girls dressed like this maybe? the whole point of it is it's taking the power out of the word "slut". Why shouldn't women dress how they want to without being groped, or fear of something happening, I think this march is an excellent way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

So when and where is this I want to go in and ogle err I mean support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Are there any actual stats to say a woman is more likely to be assaulted if she is dressed in such a manner?

I tried to find some studies to link to in my original post, but apparently it's difficult to get data and create such a study.

Personally I don't think dress makes any difference. As someone else said, I think it's usually about asserting dominance rather than sexual desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

thought that was the walk of shame?

.......unless yer a man, yep.

It's ideas like this that people need to do away with. Girls don't need to be good looking to be raped. Rape is about power and dominance, not sex.

I remember reading an american article abut a girl who had reported rape and the police officer said "who would rape you?" and laughed.

These type of comments on here set us back to the stone age.

No, I was pointing out that the women in the picture weren't physically appealing, not on the issue of rape. It was a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Provocative clothing is designed to do just that, provoke.
    This does not excuse or justify rape but it is logical to assume that such clothing choices may increase risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It really is this kind of thing that give women such a bad name...and the fact that their dopes! :pac:

they're...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

their outfit may cause certain men to think that they're 'up for it' on a night out and behave with less respect towards them.
    You can't ''cause'' anybody to think anything. It doesn't matter what somebody's wearing - if they say no, clearly they don't want it.
    There should be a certain amount of risk management, concerning the outfit you wear, your company and where you're heading before you head out and to march for society to ensure that such precautions are unnecessary is laudable, but I fear unlikely to change anything.
    So on a night out, women should cover up all skin and any parts of their bodies that could cause a stir in the opposite sex? Nobody's saying 'precautions are unnecessary' - everyone takes precautions but some things go wrong and you shouldn't hold rape victims responsible for their own rape. 25% of people apparently believe that a woman is at least partially to blame if she is raped while wearing revealing clothing or after having drunk alcohol.

"tarting themselves up" show's your own opinion of girls dressed like this maybe? the whole point of it is it's taking the power out of the word "slut". Why shouldn't women dress how they want to without being groped, or fear of something happening, I think this march is an excellent way forward.

yeah rapists are reasonable folks, they will go through that exact same thought process when they hear of this march and theyll put away the rape set under the stairs forever :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

If a woman wears extremely revealing outfits, they will court, whether welcome or unwelcome, attention from the opposite sex. On a more extreme scale, their outfit may cause certain men to think that they're 'up for it' on a night out and behave with less respect towards them.

In an ideal world, that wouldn't happen, however, that's the world we live in. To quote Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times, "I have a perfect right to leave my windows open when I nip to the shops for some fags, without being burgled. It doesn’t lessen the guilt of the burglar that I’ve left my window open, or even remotely suggest that I was deserving of being burgled. Just that it was more likely to happen."

Yeah but attention = okay. Being groped and at the extreme end: raped is not.
    It's making men sound like neanderthals who can't control themselves when they see a bit of leg. What next, we will all be dressed as muslim women because men can't control themselves seeing a bit of flesh? I think this march is excellent: we wear what we want, how dare men have any say over what we want to wear really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You can't ''cause'' anybody to think anything. It doesn't matter what somebody's wearing - ....

So let's say one lad pops down to the shops dressed as Hitler, and another in jeans and a tshirt. What other people think of both men is identical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Provocative clothing is designed to do just that, provoke.

But so what, that doesn't mean you should act on a provocation, if anyone wants to dress sexy they are free to so. Even if a woman was to lay naked on a nudist beach that is not an invitation to a man to have sex.

Would you rather woman dressed in a Nijab as they do in some Moslem countries.

Germaine Greer is actually a big supporter of this form of protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

25% of people apparently believe that a woman is at least partially to blame if she is raped while wearing revealing clothing or after having drank alcohol.

There are very simple solutions to this.

1. Ban alcohol.
    2. Make women wear clothes that cover all but the eyes.
    3. Make women responsible for rape unless they have a male family member with them at all times.

No wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

To add to the point about rape being more about asserting dominance rather than sexual desire:

Here's a report about male-on-male sexual assault in the U.S military which seems to be quite common.
    Now this is a very heterosexual, male, competitive environment, and while some cases can be put down to men spending a long time away from female company, there's undoubtedly a strong element of competitive attempts to stamp authority on their fellow men to these assaults.

Apparently happens in the police force there, to "induct" a new detective, for example (I believe such a case was alluded to in an early episode of The Wire, and drawn from real events).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think this march is excellent: we wear what we want, how dare men have any say over what we want to wear really?

Hell yeah sistah!

prinz wrote: »
    So let's say one lad pops down to the shops dressed as Hitler, and another in jeans and a tshirt. What other people think of both men is identical?

Hmmmm, one is dressed as a mass murdering dictator, so I am guessing, no they aren't identical.

• Advertisement

yeah rapists are reasonable folks, they will go through that exact same thought process when they hear of this march and never rape again :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

There are many, many more rapists/ sexual assaulters than you think. Rapists are not just creepy men hiding down dark alleys.

Being a woman going out on a night out you often run the gauntlet.

Men's perceptions need to change, I think they think of "rapists" as far seperate to themselves: a man who breaks into a girls house and rapes her, and differentiate their own behaviour to make it ok.

Sticking your hand up a girls skirt in a club and groping at her crotch as she's walking by in a packed club is sexual assault, just one example I can think of many I've heard.

Advertisement