Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Rothmans wrote: »
    Can specsavers tell you whether your hearing is up to standard.Was thinking about going to them myself

But I don't want to do anything yet until we get our stage 1 results back. I'd hate to get my hopes up just for them to be dashed

It's free and it's handy for again. the eye test was only fifteen euro. I did a few weeks ago well before everything else because I have never had one done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Yup they give normal or higher then normal or less then normal. I had good hearing and there was a hell of a lot of people making nose in the shop, it was so distracting.

I see, but do they know the standard required by the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Guys, for your information, specsavers have free hearing tests. I got the eye tests done last week and the hearing because I wanted to be sure before the medical.

What about the teeth check I don't have Caries but I do have a broken tooth on one side, it's not visible, there is some of the tooth there. How particular are they.

Was hearing test free because you had paid for the eye test? Or can anyone walk into specsavers and get a free hearing test with buying glasses/being a customer?

I see, but do they know the standard required by the Guards?

Well mine was twenty twenty but they would generally know, she said it was well above what they require so she had an idea. It's on this forum somewhere, from previous years so if you search then you can go in knowing what you have or do the test and find out afterwards. I think I read it myself and it was eighteen something. Anyone else know?

I think the hearing test is standard, if you have good hearing then your clear.

EDIT: oh another reason why I got the hearing test done was in case anything happened on the day and I failed, I could go back and say well it was because of this and maybe appeal. I got the optician to write me a letter stating my hearing and eyesight results.

D Trent wrote: »
    Was hearing test free because you had paid for the eye test? Or can anyone walk into specsavers and get a free hearing test with buying glasses/being a customer?

Anyone can walk in but it's on certain days. I had to wait a week. They were separate.

oh am I allowed to mention the name? Editing it out now.

• Advertisement

Well mine was twenty twenty but they would generally know, she said it was well above what they require so she had an idea. It's on this forum somewhere, from previous years so if you search then you can go in knowing what you have or do the test and find out afterwards. I think I read it myself and it was eighteen something. Anyone else know?

I think the hearing test is standard, if you have good hearing then your clear.

EDIT: oh another reason why I got the hearing test done was in case anything happened on the day and I failed, I could go back and say well it was because of this and maybe appeal. I got specsavers to write me a letter stating my hearing and eyesight results.

Thanks, I'll defo need laser eye surgery. I checked before.
    It's just the hearing I'd be worried about. After looking long and hard, its clear that the guards don't publish their minimum hearing standards. However, the Army do, so I'd reckon it'd be similar to that.

It's just the hearing I'd be worried about. After looking long and hard, its clear that the guards don't publish their minimum hearing standards. However, the Army do, so I'd reckon it'd be similar to that.

What do the army require. I asked the woman if there was like a scale or term to describe hearing but she said no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

If you wear glasses would your eye sight be not good enough? I'm bordering on needing glasses but won't get them!

Devil08 wrote: »
    If you wear glasses would your eye sight be not good enough? I'm bordering on needing glasses but won't get them!

It actually depends how much of prescription you need... at least I think so.

What do the army require. I asked the woman if there was like a scale or term to describe hearing but she said no?

Army minimum is 8,000 Hz at 20 dB IIRC.

Regardless of whether you wear glasses or not, you must meet a minimum of 6/18 per eye IIRC (I'm 6/60 which is apparently a very mild perscription but nowhere near good enough.. Otherwise its curtains.

• Advertisement

Regardless of whether you wear glasses or not, you must meet a minimum of 6/18 per eye IIRC (I'm 6/60 which is apparently a very mild perscription but nowhere near good enough.. Otherwise its curtains.

Arrrgh, I will have to go back for the hearing. I have no idea what I am.

Any idea how many lines on the chart you would need to read to pass? 3 or 4 minimum?
    If they use the chart that is

Arrrgh, I will have to go back for the hearing. I have no idea what I am.

Here we go. Managed to pull up the leaflet. If its a good enough standard for the cadets, I imagine it'd be good enough for the gardai.

in the case of candidates under 25 years of age they must be also able
    to hear all measured pure tones up to and including 8kHz at 20dB in
    each ear. Candidates 25 years of age and older must be able to hear all
    measured pure tones up to and including 8kHz at 25dB in each ear.
    Candidates must also be free from acute or chronic ear disorders.

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Careers_docs/12-05-18__May__Cadet_Booklet_2012.pdf

Any idea how many lines on the chart you would need to read to pass? 3 or 4 minimum?

No idea how they measure it tbh, just know the standard.

No idea. For me there was a chart and she held lenses in front of my eyes and asked was my eyesight better with them then without. There was one or two letters that I wasn't sure were a D or an O but that didn't seem to matter overall as long as I said both.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

In 2005 the requirements were "not less than 6/9, 6/12 unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision". Don't ask me what that means in the real world!

Here we go. Managed to pull up the leaflet. If its a good enough standard for the cadets, I imagine it'd be good enough for the gardai.

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Careers_docs/12-05-18__May__Cadet_Booklet_2012.pdf

Ah cheers. I see the over 25 year olds get treated different. Makes me feel old. I'll have to go back or email them. I'll let you know what they say about it, they might be able to convert my results to these units.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Bloodwing wrote: »
    In 2005 the requirements were "not less than 6/9, 6/12 unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision". Don't ask me what that means in the real world!

Its actually 6/18. 6/18 unaided and correctable to 6/9. 6/12

6/60 are you sure?

want2b wrote: »
    Its actually 6/18. 6/18 unaided and correctable to 6/9. 6/12

I'm just going by what the 2005 booklet says, there's every possibility it has changed since then.

• Advertisement

I'm just going by what the 2005 booklet says, there's every possibility it has changed since then.

Did you say that the mild prescription is nowhere near good enough? Are you sure it's a mild prescription?

Was the same in 2005 I'm nearly certain

6/60 are you sure?

Yup, according to the optometrist.

It equates to -1.75

Yup, according to the optometrist.

It equates to -1.75

Now I'm completely lost... what's happening. I really don't understand eye tests

Was the same in 2005 I'm nearly certain

I have the booklet here in front of me and that's a direct quote.

I see the 2008 booklet is still available for download and it says what you said so things have obviously changed.

Now I'm completely lost... what's happening

You need 6/18 vision which equates to 20/60 vision. It's about 4 lines down on the snellen chart. Not bad

What are the physical requirements?

Successful candidates at stages 1 and 2 of the selection process will also be required to undergo an exacting medical examination by a Registered Medical Practitioner nominated by the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána or by the Chief Medical Officer at Garda Headquarters. Such candidates must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).
    Varicose veins
    Being overweight
    Albumenuria
    Dental Caries
    Defective Hearing
    Hypertension

http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=1632

The above is for the reserves atm.

Couldn't be too different from FT. Although they haven't actually released the standards for this campaign (surprise surprise :rolleyes: the lack of transparency in this campaign is actually abysmal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Now I'm completely lost... what's happening. I really don't understand eye tests

Are those my feet!!?? :D

I had an eye test done a few months ago and had the free hearing test too. Hearing was fine, need to wear glasses when using a computer for prolonged times and when driving at night

If you've 20/20 vision, you've nothing to worry about :)

• Advertisement

http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=1632

The above is for the reserves atm.

Couldn't be too different from FT. Although they haven't actually released the standards for this campaign (surprise surprise :rolleyes: the lack of transparency in this campaign is actually abysmal)

It's on Garda website, trainee 2013 handbook

Advertisement