Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

thekopend wrote: »
    They seen what we were saying on this!

I think it's some automatic word scanning system which reacted when someone mentioned the name, because straight away there was a post advertising the site. Makes you think about how well monitored this thread is. I feel sorry for the person who made the mistake and the people who followed their advice, it's a pity we didn't catch it earlier and send them a message to amend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Andrea345 wrote: »
    I think it's some automatic word scanning system which reacted when someone mentioned the name, because straight away there was a post advertising the site. Makes you think about how well monitored this thread is. I feel sorry for the person who made the mistake and the people who followed their advice, it's a pity we didn't catch it earlier and send them a message to amend it.

Its dog eat dog. Not everyone can pass. Its just a shame that money hungry companies are spreading false information

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

They seen what we were saying on this!

Christ, they sound well dodgy. I would feel aggrieved had I of paid them and was given that info. Poor chaps if they have already gone ahead and done the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Andrea345 wrote: »

I don't know much about it but if you ask me the person who runs the fb page looks at this site, that's where they based there negative marking on unanswered q's the then seen us figure out it was wrong and changed it, they then set up a page and tried to redeem there image by posting there cheap course. But who knows.

I'm not worried anyway. I only guessed 6 overall from both tests. I just hate this false info being thrown around by companies that can reach hundreds of people, mistake or not.

I remember doing abstract reasoning back in 2008 in the teachers centre Dublin. I forgot all about the time limit, and they stopped the test and I had about 30% left to do. I managed to pass it anyway.

I'm not worried

Worrying will do you no good now anyway. You did well to answer all you did. I hope I do as well as that on my day. Yes, it's annoying not being able to trust advice. I'm not familiar with the company and don't know how legit they are or useful so I can't comment but it might have been a genuine mistake also. Unfortunately, it's a mistake that may have affected a lot of people's marks. But it will do no good complaining for the people hard done by. It's not associated with PAS or the company giving the tests so it is what it is, unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Theres also Job simulation questions as part of the questionnaire

Its dog eat dog. Not everyone can pass. Its just a shame that money hungry companies are spreading false information

Yes but I wouldn't wish false information on anyone. The people who are fit to pass will pass anyway. Those people are well prepared, anyone can be well prepared. This is different. It's an unfair advantage as to a fair one.

I don't know much about it but if you ask me the person who runs the fb page looks at this site, that's where they based there negative marking on unanswered q's the then seen us figure out it was wrong and changed it, they then set up a page and tried to redeem there image by posting there cheap course. But who knows.

Right, I see. I would have expected that they assumed it from the booklet. Surely, the booklet was read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Interesting comments placed on record by Shatter this week:
    Given that the closing date for applications for the competition was the 9 January we hope to have 300 recruits entering training in Templemore in 2014. I would like to say however that reports implying that there are 25,000 applicants for 300 posts are incorrect as we expect to use this competition to provide Garda recruits in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-15a.1540&s=garda+recruitment#g1546.r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-15a.1540&s=garda+recruitment#g1546.r

King Ludvig take a look at post #2035 on this thread

• Advertisement

Anyone mentioning the name of the FB page might want to go back and edit their posts, It's also against the rules for us to mention the name. I have corrected the quoted text in my comments. Just a heads up. Don't want anyone getting into trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

This is very disheartening. I was hoping there would be annual campaigns and to move back to Ireland next year and have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Galway1987 wrote: »
    This is very disheartening. I was hoping there would be annual campaigns and to move back to Ireland next year and have a go.

It will cost a lot for them to do this campaign with the amount of applicants. You can't blame them getting their money's worth and making it last a few years. They might not have a budget for another campaign next year or the year after so they need to make this one count!

It's good for the people that have applied tho, gives them a better chance of being hired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Devil08 wrote: »
    It will cost a lot for them to do this campaign with the amount of applicants. You can't blame them getting their money's worth and making it last a few years. They might not have a budget for another campaign next year or the year after so they need to make this one count!

I wonder is everybody getting the same online test or is it random?

The only extra cost is the online aptitude test, that will knock out 10000. Then it's back in line with all the other campaigns!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Guys, I could set up a Facebook page and call it "The Official Garda Entrance Exam" and rip off a logo from a Telecoms company, but it wouldn't mean a thing. This guy has demonstrated that he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, and that's likely to screw people out of a career they've waiting years to apply for. There no way of knowing if there is question weighting or negative marking in play unless it is released or acknowledged by PAS.

If I was doing it, I would just try my best to get through the answers as quickly as possible, and if I didn't get to finish the test, I think I'd leave them blank, but that's just me. I'm not posting this as a Mod, just as someone who has done very similar tests and passed with a score high enough to guarantee me a place as a Student Officer (quite a long time ago, I admit!).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

i think the news that it will be used for a few campaigns is good news, if i could get on the panel and then continue with the reserves for a year or two it would be fantastic. I know its not a guarantee of a job but its a hell of a good start to get on a panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

don't forget what happened to the previous panel lads lol.... just joking..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

carzony wrote: »
    don't forget what happened to the previous panel lads lol.... just joking..

thats why i got in that there is no guarantee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

So people who pass these stages will be selected (for interview?) for the next intake in years to come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

PeteK* wrote: »
    So people who pass these stages will be selected (for interview?) for the next intake in years to come?

correct

eventually called

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Am I right in saying that the next windows are from today to Thursday and tomorrow to Friday? That company that handed out wrong information should be ashamed of themselves, just goes to show some of the idiots that are out there trying to make money from applicants. Done my own test and was relatively happy with it. However I'm expecting the standard to be high so whether I'm above that or not is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

thestar wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the next windows are from today to Thursday and tomorrow to Friday? That company that handed out wrong information should be ashamed of themselves, just goes to show some of the idiots that are out there trying to make money from applicants. Done my own test and was relatively happy with it. However I'm expecting the standard to be high so whether I'm above that or not is another story

All in the same boat.

Whats done is done at this stage just got to accept whatever happens happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

slingerz wrote: »
    All in the same boat.

Whats done is done at this stage just got to accept whatever happens happens!

True but I'm still gonna be thinking about it, looks like we will be waiting a month to hear either way as well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

hi,

I've applied and my window is this week, however someone else i know applied (or thought that he did), and when i mentioned it to him today about when his tests are he didnt know what i was talking about. He went checked his publicjobs a/c and there was no word back from them. I don't think he got any sort of confirmation at all. I know there's a chance his application may not have submitted properly (due to his end), but is there a chance it could have happened from the other end? Has there been any other applications that didn't go through correctly or anything?

thanks

jkell061 wrote: »
    hi,

I've applied and my window is this week, however someone else i know applied (or thought that he did), and when i mentioned it to him today about when his tests are he didnt know what i was talking about. He went checked his publicjobs a/c and there was no word back from them. I don't think he got any sort of confirmation at all. I know there's a chance his application may not have submitted properly (due to his end), but is there a chance it could have happened from the other end? Has there been any other applications that didn't go through correctly or anything?

thanks

I'd say it must be a problem at his end, might not have registered interest properly, did he fill out the online application form ?

I'd say it must be a problem at his end, might not have registered interest properly, did he fill out the online application form ?

He reckons so, and the more i asked him the more i realised he must not have done it properly. Asked had he any emails he said no. I just thought I'd ask in case there had been any cases where an application did not go through correctly on publicjob's part

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

jkell061 wrote: »
    He reckons so, and the more i asked him the more i realised he must not have done it properly. Asked had he any emails he said no. I just thought I'd ask in case there had been any cases where an application did not go through correctly on publicjob's part

what did PAS say when he contacted them?

Scouser wrote: »
    what did PAS say when he contacted them?

Don't think he's contacted anyone yet he's only realised this now. I'll tell him to get onto them asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 davydute

is there any point in this application process where we let them know our educational background and work experience??

Advertisement