Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

carzony wrote: »
    ''I would like to say however that reports implying that there are 25,000 applicants for 300 posts are incorrect as we expect to use this competition to provide Garda recruits in 2014, 2015 and 2016''

Now he tells us ffs, There making it up as they go along. Seems to me they'll recruit from a panel for the next few years. I knew they couldnt just pick 300 out of the 25,000 that'd be next to impossible..

That means there will be even greater pressure to get in this time round, especially those in their thirties. If you don't make it through all stages then you can guarantee you won't have another shot for another few years. That's a lot to take in but it makes perfect sense. Some people won't get another shot at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Andrea345 wrote: »
    That means there will be even greater pressure to get in this time round, especially those in their thirties. If you don't make it through all stages then you can guarantee you won't have another shot for another few years. That's a lot to take in but it makes perfect sense. Some people won't get another shot at it.

I assume that might mean no external recruitment until 2017 so. Unless a good few drop out from thre panel. I suppose that means a lot of lads who applied have a greater chance of getting in now considering they've increased it by 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Isn't guessing bad? Obviously it's good if guessed right but with negative marking I'd rather not answer than stab in the dark

Well I had 90% of the questions done on both tests when it came to the stage of guessing. It was only 2 or 3 that I had to guess, and there was no was I was leaving them blank.

The negative marking thing doesn't scare me. Some people say don't guess because you'll loose marks if your wrong. Others say guess because if you leave them unanswered you'll loose marks.

We all have our own strategy and tactics

I assume that might mean no external recruitment until 2017 so. Unless a good few drop out from thre panel.
    That is exactly what it means. The panel will probably be large. They should have more than enough.

That is exactly what it means. The panel will probably be large. They should have more than enough.

Bad news for anyone near the age limit.. Even for myself i'd be 26 by that time:eek:.

As we all know plans constantly change with these recruitment drives and 3 years is a long time. Rough for anyone who couldnt apply this time for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

Well I had 90% of the questions done on both tests when it came to the stage of guessing. It was only 2 or 3 that I had to guess, and there was no was I was leaving them blank.

The negative marking thing doesn't scare me. Some people say don't guess because you'll loose marks if your wrong. Others say guess because if you leave them unanswered you'll loose marks.

We all have our own strategy and tactics

That's true, we don't actually know if they are negative marking blanks, but from what we have been told we can assume we won't be marked from leaving blanks, they never mentioned it. The instructions are like verbal reasoning tests themselves lol. What's done is done, no point worrying about it now. Congrats on finishing. Must be a relief. I'm glad to see no one mentioned not having a enough time to finish as I was sure we wouldn't get half them done. I practiced at home from paper but similar tests to the tabs and just managed to get 25 done and 2 wrong. And that was quick working.

Bad news for anyone near the age limit.. Even for myself i'd be 26 by that time:eek:.

As we all know plans constantly change with these recruitment drives and 3 years is a long time. Rough for anyone who couldnt apply this time for whatever reason.

Only 26! You will be better equipped at that age. That's not late at all. Plenty of time to practice the verbal reasoning.

Only 26! You will be better equipped at that age. That's not late at all. Plenty of time to practice the verbal reasoning.

Well 26 and that's if they recruit at that time and everything goes well. Could be 30 by the time training and that finishes :eek: The years just fly when thinking of joining the gardai lol

I doubt i'll join anyway. I reckon i'll find somthing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Why & what else would you enjoy if you didn't join?

Well 26 and that's if they recruit at that time and everything goes well. Could be 30 by the time training and that finishes :eek: The years just fly when thinking of joining the gardai lol

I know what you mean, it would be nice to join early. I'd be close to the cut off rate by then, but you would be close to my age now and I absolutely feel that I am much better equipped, academically wise, maturity wise and skill wise, then I was before I went to college. So don't let that deter you. If you don't get in this time, apply again and in the meantime have a backup plan. That is what I would do.

• Advertisement

That's true, we don't actually know if they are negative marking blanks, but from what we have been told we can assume we won't be marked from leaving blanks, they never mentioned it. The instructions are like verbal reasoning tests themselves lol. What's done is done, no point worrying about it now. Congrats on finishing. Must be a relief. I'm glad to see no one mentioned not having a enough time to finish as I was sure we wouldn't get half them done. I practiced at home from paper but similar tests to the tabs and just managed to get 25 done and 2 wrong. And that was quick working.

This was on the Garda Careers Facebook page........

Best of luck everyone if you are taking your test today. Everyone has different times and dates so don't worry. Make sure you read everything carefully and keep an eye on the time. There is negative marking on the test so if you don't answer a question you get deducted points. If you don't know the answer, tick a box anyway, it could be the right one !

There are lots of things being said on the marking, and its awful how it hasn't been actually stated clearly by anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Instructions do not mention negative marking for blanks per se, though I wonder if they consider that as being incorrect? Gut feeling is that they will be considered incorrect. I will try answer everything. To each his own.
    Be aware that there is negative marking for incorrect answers on both these aptitude tests.

This was on the ##### Facebook page........

Best of luck everyone if you are taking your test today. Everyone has different times and dates so don't worry. Make sure you read everything carefully and keep an eye on the time. There is negative marking on the test so if you don't answer a question you get deducted points. If you don't know the answer, tick a box anyway, it could be the right one !

There are lots of things being said on the marking, and its awful how it hasn't been actually stated clearly by anyone

I don't have Facebook. Who wrote this exactly? Did anyone reply and ask about it. That doesn't make sense. I thought the negative marking was there for a purpose, to stop people guessing the answers but this sort of negative means that people are force to guess.

EDIT: is the ###### page one of those private companies or is actually affiliated with the gardai. Because if it isn't, then I don't believe there is negative marking on blanks at all, other wise it would be mentioned. Logically it doesn't make sense to me but that's just me. I'm not planning on guessing myself. It will make a huge difference to the marks.

I don't have Facebook. Who wrote this exactly? Did anyone reply and ask about it. That doesn't make sense. I thought the negative marking was there for a purpose, to stop people guessing the answers but this sort of negative means that people are force to guess.

https://www.facebook.com/gardacareers?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

This was on the Garda Careers Facebook page........

That's not accurate in my opinion, it's negative marking for incorrect answers as it states on the booklet. There is no reason for the booklet not to say 'negative marking for incorrect and unanswered questions' if that was the case. I think that if it isn't answered its a case of nothing lost nothing gained, this has been the case with negative marking in garda aptitude since early nineties and we have been given no reason to believe otherwise!

thekopend wrote: »
    That's not accurate in my opinion, it's negative marking for incorrect answers as it states on the booklet. There is no reason for the booklet not to say 'negative marking for incorrect and unanswered questions' if that was the case. I think that if it isn't answered its a case of nothing lost nothing gained, this has been the case with negative marking in garda aptitude since early nineties and we have been given no reason to believe otherwise!

I agree with this. This company knows about as much as we do.

thekopend wrote: »

Well I'm just posting what they said. I don't know what to believe to be honest. Unless I hear it from publicjobs

Well I'm just posting what they said. I don't know what to believe to be honest. Unless I hear it from publicjobs

No I appreciate you letting us know. To be honest its bad advice to all the people taking the test because they don't really know. And if they are incorrect this could take away marks from people. If it's the one for one system then if someone guessed five wrong then that's ten they missed out on. I don't know myself so no one take my word on it but it's the most logical system to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

They've done a 180 on it now

Important information - Negative marking is only for answers that are incorrect and not for unanswered questions. Hope everyone is getting on ok with the tests !

This crowd don't know what they're at.

Rothmans wrote: »

The thing is some people have done their tests already.

• Advertisement

What a bunch of cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Better get used to it, the job is the exact same

The thing is some people have done their tests already.

Yup, they'll surely be peeved if they followed that advice

A disgruntled customer
    Are you for real? you said the opposite yesterday! What kind of organisation is this? plus you deleted yesterdays post too!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

What a bunch of cowboys

They are after commenting on the thread for stage 1, should take it up with them there

Ya I know. I just can't see it being the case if booklet did not say it. They would have said it in my opinion because if they tell you that there is negative marking for wrong answers they would also say for unanswered, but they didn't and they have no reason not to tell us if it was, it's black and white in my opinion. It has always been the case that it's only wrong answers. And it also goes againsed the point of negative marking(stopping guessing). In fact there is nothing to base the unanswered questions being negative only ill informed roumer if you ask me. I was specifically told by the person I got preparation with that it's for wrong answers and he told me not to guess as it can ruin your marks, he also said that it is to stop people from chancing at the end of the test e.g if there is 5 questions left and you only have a minute left you could just say cannot say for the five and chances are 1 or 2 of them would be right. I know what I will be doing anyway.

On another note what's the assessment questionair like/about?

What a bunch of cowboys
    Ah someone made a mistake, thing is they haven't done anything for their reputation. I think the lesson to be learned here is to know the booklet inside out and backwards, do the prep and use the noggin. That and don't believe everything people have said unless it comes from the horses mouth. Now some people might still use the system and that's their tactic. Guessing one or two won't do that much having answered the majority of them correctly. A few marks lost maybe or maybe break even. But I wouldn't advise it. That system is there for a reason.

Edit: just a note to everyone and maybe future applicants reading back too. I noticed that some of the things said on a day course I went on myself weren't 100 per cent. I know that from reading the comments from the past and from reading their experiences. So make sure you sieve through the booklet and take anything else they say with a pinch of salt. It was a great course and helped, but they know about the same as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

But sure who told this crowd that it does not apply to unanswered questions which has made them backtrack all of a sudden? There is no source.

redout wrote: »
    But sure who told this crowd that it does not apply to unanswered questions which has made them backtrack all of a sudden? There is no source.

They seen what we were saying on this!

• Advertisement

Ah someone made a mistake, thing is they haven't done anything for their reputation. I think the lesson to be learned here is to know the booklet inside out and backwards, do the prep and use the noggin. That and don't believe everything people have said unless it comes from the horses mouth. Now some people might still use the system and that's their tactic. Guessing one or two won't do that much having answered the majority of them correctly. A few marks lost maybe or maybe break even. But I wouldn't advise it. That system is there for a reason.

I'm not worried anyway. I only guessed 6 overall from both tests. I just hate this false info being thrown around by companies that can reach hundreds of people, mistake or not.

I remember doing abstract reasoning back in 2008 in the teachers centre Dublin. I forgot all about the time limit, and they stopped the test and I had about 30% left to do. I managed to pass it anyway.

I'm not worried

Advertisement