Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

davydute wrote: »
    is there any point in this application process where we let them know our educational background and work experience??

Think that'd be interview stage matey !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

is there any point in this application process where we let them know our educational background and work experience??

Before interview I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davydute

Ok just making sure as i though maybe i fill in the first application in wrong or something lol

Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

You fill out a form about 10 pages long with full family details, addresses of all family members, all your previous addresses, all your previous jobs, and all your education and qualifications info. They won't get you to fill that out until you get to the relevant stage. Usually just before interview.
    Right now all they care about is getting rid of the air heads

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

How is everyone getting on with the Physical requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

AaronMul1 wrote: »

Was just thinking about asking the very same. Just incase I get that far...im doing ok. Ran a 7.5k this evening and have been doing a new weights thing. Im into fitness anyway so would be fairly fit but wanna up it to make sure.
    Push ups are a great way of building upper body strength for the ladies for the push pull machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Was just thinking about asking the very same. Just incase I get that far...im doing ok. Ran a 7.5k this evening and have been doing a new weights thing. Im into fitness anyway so would be fairly fit but wanna up it to make sure.
    Push ups are a great way of building upper body strength for the ladies for the push pull machine.

deadlifts and squats

ladies love it

Scouser wrote: »
    deadlifts and squats

ladies love it

They love it..or they love you doing it ;)

ann.lewis wrote: »
    or they love you doing it ;)

that was implied :cool:

that was implied :cool:

Or maybe how you look cause you do it ?
    Only messin !
    Squats are great. Deadlifts too...you're dead right

• Advertisement

i find the sit ups to be my only problem, after 20 odd sit ups i lose all my pace :p

i find the sit ups to be my only problem, after 20 odd sit ups i lose all my pace :p

You'll do ok.. build it up. Take your time with them.
    I'm thinking ill measure out 20meters and practice the bleep. Did it 2 years ago as part of pre season for football, think I did ok but no harm to give it a go and build endurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Getting on ok - feel like I'm grand with the cardio & general fitness. My only fear is the push pull machine but working on that!! Wish my gym had one so I could see my progress on it :)

Zadie10 wrote: »
    Getting on ok - feel like I'm grand with the cardio & general fitness. My only fear is the push pull machine but working on that!! Wish my gym had one so I could see my progress on it :)

small progress is still progress i suppose :D yeah im gonna wait till im a bit fitter maybe 2 weeks 3 weeks and il try the test, never done one before so i need a bit of practice :D

small progress is still progress i suppose :D yeah im gonna wait till im a bit fitter maybe 2 weeks 3 weeks and il try the test, never done one before so i need a bit of practice :D

Its hard to focus on it when it seems like such a long way away & there are so many other hurdles to get over first. But guess its one of the ones we have the most control over so need to keep tipping away. Are u doing anything in particular for the beep test? I'm just doing HIIT on the treadmill & hoping that will suffice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Walker

Not sure it's relevant but if you're upskilling , consider getting a full driving licence. Even the basic Garda car course will require you to have a full driving licence before you can apply

Its hard to focus on it when it seems like such a long way away & there are so many other hurdles to get over first. But guess its one of the ones we have the most control over so need to keep tipping away. Are u doing anything in particular for the beep test? I'm just doing HIIT on the treadmill & hoping that will suffice :)

could you imagine getting to the medical though and failing? if i done that i'd never forgive myself for not preparing :p and you never know when they will do it! they could do the test before interview to weed out numbers so less to interview. Im just running around a local track, big hill in the middle of it so hoping that will strenghten up my legs :)

could you imagine getting to the medical though and failing? if i done that i'd never forgive myself for not preparing :p and you never know when they will do it! they could do the test before interview to weed out numbers so less to interview. Im just running around a local track, big hill in the middle of it so hoping that will strenghten up my legs :)

failing the medical and failing the physical are two different things altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

For those who have a definite knowledge are the medical & physical both done in Templemore? maybe ann.lewis you know as you've done it last time round?

Not sure it's relevant but if you're upskilling , consider getting a full driving licence. Even the basic Garda car course will require you to have a full driving licence before you can apply

Cool, where did you hear this

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Cool, where did you hear this

driver licence is needed to drive a car

its the law

For those who have a definite knowledge are the medical & physical both done in Templemore? maybe ann.lewis you know as you've done it last time round?

Medical is done in Garda HQ in Dublin, physical in Templemore.

driver licence is needed to drive a car

its the law

WWWwwhatt? you need a driving licence to drive a car? get out of town scouser.

There's a few members of AGS who have never held a driving licence yet drive the patrol car regularly

WWWwwhatt? you need a driving licence to drive a car? get out of town scouser.

There's a few members of AGS who have never held a driving licence yet drive the patrol car regularly

im very much aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Medical is done in Garda HQ in Dublin, physical in Templemore.

Yep you need to pass the medical first
    I failed it :(
    (Hearing test)

Requirements for medical should be on Garda website

angelfire9 wrote: »
    (Hearing test)

they give a general run down in the candidate booklet, but dont give specifics

but plenty of room for interpretation by the Chief Medical Officer on so so much

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

angelfire9 wrote: »
    (Hearing test)

Guys, for your information, a big names company that sells prescription glasses have free hearing tests. I got the eye tests done last week and the hearing because I wanted to be sure before the medical.

What about the teeth check I don't have Caries but I do have a broken tooth on one side, it's not visible, there is some of the tooth there. How particular are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Guys, for your information, specsavers have free hearing tests. I got the eye tests done last week and the hearing because I wanted to be sure before the medical.

What about the teeth check I don't have Caries but I do have a broken tooth on one side, it's not visible, there is some of the tooth there. How particular are they.

Can specsavers tell you whether your hearing is up to standard.Was thinking about going to them myself

But I don't want to do anything yet until we get our stage 1 results back. I'd hate to get my hopes up just for them to be dashed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Having had a go on the push-pull machine quite recently, I would say that the best way to prepare would be to do some cable or bent-over rows in the Gym. Most of the force you will use to operate the device will not in fact be in your biceps but in your back (Lats/Traps).

Regardless, I would say that the test itself would likely be pass or fail and certainly achievable for anyone who is at least relatively fit.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Rothmans wrote: »
    Can specsavers tell you whether your hearing is up to standard.Was thinking about going to them myself

But I don't want to do anything yet until we get our stage 1 results back. I'd hate to get my hopes up just for them to be dashed

Yup they give normal or higher then normal or less then normal. I had good hearing and there was a hell of a lot of people making nose in the shop, it was so distracting.

Advertisement