Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

hi guys, i recieve the odd gem via yahoo mail, how do i post it on boards without all the yahoo stuff on it, i tried but failed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

flutered wrote: »
    hi guys, i recieve the odd gem via yahoo mail, how do i post it on boards without all the yahoo stuff on it, i tried but failed

what do you want to do exactly, copy and paste stuff from an email to here is it? but it's bringing a heap of other stuff...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

arkrow wrote: »
    what do you want to do exactly, copy and paste stuff from an email to here is it? but it's bringing a heap of other stuff...no?
    correct, inbox name and addy of the sender including senders friends et, etc,

flutered wrote: »
    correct, inbox name and addy of the sender including senders friends et, etc,
    Education News - 50,000 Apprenticeship/Trainee Registrations by 2020
    Education News
    The Government’s Plan to expand apprenticeships and traineeships in Ireland was recently launched in Piranha Bar, a creative digital studio producing commercials, films and animated content in Dublin City Centre. The plan aims to deliver 50,000 apprenticeship and traineeship registrations by 2020. Piranha bar will be running one of these programmes - an exciting new traineeship in visual effects.

Continue reading ››

Thats abit of some random mail sitting in my yahoo, it didn't paste any of the other stuff though. I just highlighted the bit I wanted and copy/paste. What way are you selecting what you want to copy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Open notepad. Copy and paste the email there, change / delete what you need and copy paste into your post on boards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Why is it recommended that passwords are changed regularly ?? As long as you use a different password for each application then surely someone is no more likely to figure out your original one than a new one :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Why is it recommended that passwords are changed regularly ?? As long as you use a different password for each application then surely someone is no more likely to figure out your original one than a new one :confused::confused:

Very true.

As long as your password (s) are strong then no need to change them.

Worst you can do is use the same password for all logins, that way if they hack one then they get all.

WANT SAFER PASSWORDS? DON’T CHANGE THEM SO OFTEN

Edit: Only real benefit would be incase you have some long term snooper, nosey family, ex partner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

B00! wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an old MacBook Pro? Why is scrolling such a difficulty? 'n highlighting text is virtually impossible! :mad:

I am used to the missing right-click feature of PC's, so this blasted Mac is very annoying!

Scrolling on a Mac should be super easy. Just drag two fingers up and down on the track pad.

Right click is also there, again just click with two fingers. Since the entire track pad is a button the idea of 'right' clicking is moot.

However it can still do it. Go to System Preferences and look for Track Pad and you can enable a feature where it makes the bottom left and right corners of the track pad left and right click areas. There are videos there too showing how all this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They'd have more time to figure out the original.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They'd have more time to figure out the original.

Assuming the 'hacker' is using a brute force / dictionary attack, they are statistically just as likely to stumble upon a password regardless of its age.

Adding numbers, capitals and $pec1aL characters to your password greatly increases it's strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

A relative has a photo on his old Nokia phone. I asked him to send it to me but he doesn't know how and quite frankly neither do I. Could do with some Boardsie help please.

How old?

Doe it have a micro usb connector on the bottom? If so just plug it in to a laptop and it'll appear like a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Steve wrote: »
    How old?

Doe it have a micro usb connector on the bottom? If so just plug it in to a laptop and it'll appear like a camera.

Thanks. I dunno how old it is. Will check it with him tomorrow and if so then we'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Hi all,
    I usually ''save to'' my new-created files to my desktop, then put them in the relevant folder later. But recently, the option of 'open with' or 'save to' Desktop is not possible, because the desktop icon is no longer in the left- hand pane of Documents or Pictures etc
    Does anyone know where it went to, and how I can get it back?
    I hope this makes sense!

coolhull wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I usually ''save to'' my new-created files to my desktop, then put them in the relevant folder later. But recently, the option of 'open with' or 'save to' Desktop is not possible, because the desktop icon is no longer in the left- hand pane of Documents or Pictures etc
    Does anyone know where it went to, and how I can get it back?
    I hope this makes sense!

Are you using Windows? The items in the sidebar should reflect what is generally in the file bar when you use the file browser (called Windows Explorer and not to be confused with Internet Explorer).

If you open a file browser from the desktop (either click the folder icon from the bottom bar or press Windows Key + E) you should be able to edit the side bar.

Ideally the Desktop item is just hidden, there should be a Favourutes section with a little triangle next to it. Clicking that should reveal it. If not you may need to add it again. Browse to the Desktop's location via this window. You can find it by going to the C:\ drive icon and going to Users/YOUR_Name. You'll see a folder called desktop. Simply drag this onto the favourites in the sidebar.

Ideally though you just have to click the little arrow.

5uspect wrote: »
    Are you using Windows? The items in the sidebar should reflect what is generally in the file bar when you use the file browser (called Windows Explorer and not to be confused with Internet Explorer).

If you open a file browser from the desktop (either click the folder icon from the bottom bar or press Windows Key + E) you should be able to edit the side bar.

Ideally the Desktop item is just hidden, there should be a Favourutes section with a little triangle next to it. Clicking that should reveal it. If not you may need to add it again. Browse to the Desktop's location via this window. You can find it by going to the C:\ drive icon and going to Users/YOUR_Name. You'll see a folder called desktop. Simply drag this onto the favourites in the sidebar.

Ideally though you just have to click the little arrow.[/quote)

Yes, Windows 7. I'll definitely try that later, when I get the opportunity. Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, the 'little arrow' thing worked. Thank you very much, I wouldn't have had a clue!

ZIsH35f.jpg?1

ZIsH35f.jpg?1

I'm so going to steal that... gave me a great laugh!

Yes, the 'little arrow' thing worked. Thank you very much, I wouldn't have had a clue!

ZIsH35f.jpg?1

Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi All,

I have to do an online test and was told to turn off notifications as they may interfere with the test. I don't remember turning on any notifications and I don't know how to turn them off. I get mostly email notifications from yahoo and hotmail that appear at the end of the screen. I am using microsoft 10.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to the bottom left of your screen to the windows icon, click on the cog icon above the power button, click on the system icon. Find the 'notifications' icon and click on it. You will then see all the on/off sliders for notifications, turn off which ever you do not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi looksee,
    Thanks a mill for that - it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Got a new laptop a while back and after not using it for a while I have now forgotten the password and am locked out!
    Is there any easy way around this or am I better just bringing it in to computer repair shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Triboro wrote: »
    Got a new laptop a while back and after not using it for a while I have now forgotten the password and am locked out!
    Is there any easy way around this or am I better just bringing it in to computer repair shop?
    Its doable for anyone computer savvy but its not exactly easy either, do you know anyone who works in IT or anything like that? They'll have it unlocked in 5 minutes, Windows passwords are pathetic as far as security goes, you might as well just turn them off.

Otherwise bring it to a pc shop but dont let them pretend its a big job or anything, ask if he'll do it for a tenner.

https://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-bypass-windows-7-password.html

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Thargor wrote: »
    Its doable for anyone computer savvy but its not exactly easy either, do you know anyone who works in IT or anything like that? They'll have it unlocked in 5 minutes, Windows passwords are pathetic as far as security goes, you might as well just turn them off.

Otherwise bring it to a pc shop but dont let them pretend its a big job or anything, ask if he'll do it for a tenner.

https://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-bypass-windows-7-password.html

Thanks, not computer savvy myself hence posting on this thread.
    Will try the shop so.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

cnoc wrote: »

Keyboard not working :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,153 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cnoc wrote: »

Turn it off and back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Recently I added another name as administrator on my laptop. When I start up my laptop I now get 3 options on the screen 1. my original administrator name, 2. the new administrator name and 3. swipe my finger to log on.

Before I added the 2nd admin name I was not seeing these options, and I want to delete the new admin name. However, the new name is my own name in full and when I went to delete it; I got a warning message to say any files etc with this name would be deleted. Prior to adding the new name the screen went stright to my desktop. Also, I do not have the laptop password protected.

Is there any way I can delete the new name without losing other files?

Advertisement