Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Umm.... I wonder would uninstalling and reinstalling work?

If I uninstall Firefox I will then have no browser! I did a refresh but didn't solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

cnoc wrote: »
    If I uninstall Firefox I will then have no browser! I did a refresh but didn't solve anything.

If you uninstall Firefox it will default back to your system browser (Internet Explorer/Edge). You can use this browser to re-download Firefox.

If you uninstall Firefox it will default back to your system browser (Internet Explorer/Edge). You can use this browser to re-download Firefox.

I have no other browser downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Use firefox to download chrome,install that then uninstall firefox,

Then use chrome to re download firefox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Apologies, misread your post.

You could also download the firefox installer again then uninstall and reinstall firefox.

I downloaded Firefox and that has solved my problem, Thank you all for your suggestions, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Does anyone know if its possible to search YT for videos from Ireland or UK or any other preferred country. I seem to be getting mainly American ones for the crafts I do and they use different terminology though with some effort I can convert them but would rather not have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to search YT for videos from Ireland or UK or any other preferred country. I seem to be getting mainly American ones for the crafts I do and they use different terminology though with some effort I can convert them but would rather not have to.

Go to your account icon .
    Click Language or Content location.
    In the drop-down menu, select the language or content location you’d like to use.

Go to your account icon .
    Click Language or Content location.
    In the drop-down menu, select the language or content location you’d like to use.

Thanks. I've done that but still get American. I thought I might be able to filter the videos for Ireland/UK but I'm not getting anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you will filter in only those with 'Ireland' in their titles, so you'll get loads of episodes of 'Hands'. I don't think there is any reliable way of doing it.

I'm sure you're right Looksee, the world is a big parish so I'll get them all! I'm just fed up of 'cups' of ingredients, different sizes of paper and envelopes, and 'single crochet' instead of double. I've managed up to now, sort of, but hey ho, I'll live with it.

My main objections are to the amazingly lengthy intros - either 'this is what you will need' then a long, long waffle about scissors and rulers and pins while picking up and putting down each item umpteen times...or rabbiting about their cat (I like cats, but still...) or shrieking enthusiastically at someone else who is doing no more than promoting products. Um, sorry, this is computer questions, I will go away.

Omigosh I agree with everything you said Looksee! We need a Youtube moan thread!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After you enter what you're looking for, enter +ireland

Example:
    cows
    becomes
    cows +ireland

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cows+%2Bireland
    So lots or results with "Ireland" "Irish" both in the title and also in the description.

the_syco wrote: »
    After you enter what you're looking for, enter +ireland

Example:
    cows
    becomes
    cows +ireland

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cows+%2Bireland
    So lots or results with "Ireland" "Irish" both in the title and also in the description.

Afraid that does not work because people making craft or cooking videos in the UK and Ireland do not generally put Irish/Ireland anywhere in their title or info.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You can use a geolocator on YouTube

http://youtube.github.io/geo-search-tool/search.html

Go to advance settings, use the 'search words' and you can even restrict it to a certain radius away from you.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Go to advance settings, use the 'search words' and you can even restrict it to a certain radius away from you.

Tried that and it seems to be better in that instead of west to USA, its giving me east i.e. UK, France, plus a language I don't recognise, but the results are interesting and I will check it more tomorrow. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

plus a language I don't recognise
    Ah, that would be for the Kerry folk ;)

Strange, ever since I accessed YT via that link except for once, I have been having difficulty viewing it as I normally did. I get a message saying:

"The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."
    [/I]

What on earth has happened?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Strange, ever since I accessed YT via that link except for once, I have been having difficulty viewing it as I normally did. I get a message saying:

"The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."
    [/I]

What on earth has happened?

You didn't use Chrome ;)

You didn't use Chrome ;)

I've never used Chrome, at all, for anything.
    Save

I've never used Chrome, at all, for anything.
    Save
    As a technical numpty I used Firefox for years before it began hogging the memory. So I changed to Chrome about a year ago and Im just sorry I didnt do it sooner. Took a wee while to get used to it but after a week or two I had discovered a much better and faster browser.

Can't figure out what could have happened between yesterday and today, I didn't change anything, Firefox yesterday, Firefox today, never used Chrome. This is doing my nut as I am following a tutorial on YT can't access it now.

Why not try Chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

looksee wrote: »
    My main objections are to the amazingly lengthy intros - either 'this is what you will need' then a long, long waffle about scissors and rulers and pins while picking up and putting down each item umpteen times...or rabbiting about their cat (I like cats, but still...) or shrieking enthusiastically at someone else who is doing no more than promoting products. Um, sorry, this is computer questions, I will go away.

Unfortunately they do that as YouTube changed a while back how money was paid out to these people. It used to be a case that simply clicking on a video and generating a hit was enough for money to be paid out. They changed it a while ago to include a number of factors such as the video needing to be a certain length, needing a set number of total views on their combined videos before payment can be made and a few other T&C's.

looksee wrote: »
    Why not try Chrome?

May have to now.

Hi sydthebeat, where/how did you find that link? Did you know this:

“Connection is not secure. Logins entered on this page can be compromised”

I think there is a gremlin at work here. :(

Is that a message that Firefox is displaying? It shouldnt as the site is safe...always look for "https" at the beginning of the url and also a padlock symbol both of which indicate that the site is secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Try

https://youtube.github.io/geo-search-tool/search.html

Advertisement