Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you haven't saved or created any files under the profile you want to delete, in the desktop/mydocuments/downloads, its safe to delete it, when logged in as the other admin profile. Generally recommended not to run as admin the whole time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi All,

I am trying to get youtube on my PC but I cant seem to download it from the playstore I am using Windows PC Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

CWone wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am trying to get youtube on my PC but I cant seem to download it from the playstore I am using Windows PC Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Just browse to it using your web browser of choice Internet Explorer / Google Chrome / Mozilla Firefox / etc... Enter www.youtube.com as the web address in your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi FishOnABike,
    Thanks a million for that - I thought I had to get the app on the playstore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

I am about to change phones. Iphone 4 to 5!
    So if I have all my contacts,photos etc backed up on icloud,do I just install sim in the new phone and then sign in to cloud to transfer data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

Triboro wrote: »
    I am about to change phones. Iphone 4 to 5!
    So if I have all my contacts,photos etc backed up on icloud,do I just install sim in the new phone and then sign in to cloud to transfer data?
    if you buy the foe instore they will do it for you, on android fones you get to put contacts on your sim, the on the new fone they are ready and waiting, dunno if thios is possibele on the ifone, never had one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

iPhones backup everything to iCloud. If you log into your iCloud account on a new device it'll restore the latest backup to the new device, download all you apps and everything. Just check that iCloud backups are enabled under Settings>iCloud>iCloud Backup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CWone wrote: »
    Hi FishOnABike,
    Thanks a million for that - I thought I had to get the app on the playstore!!

The Playstore is a Google store for Android Phone Apps. It has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows. To use Youtube on a PC just to go the Youtube website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

unsure if the link is allowed but if not I will take my kicking

https://www.youtube.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

My old Epson D88 printer seems to have come to an end. One of the reasons I bought it was the cheap replacment ink cartridges that were available. Anyone care to recommend a replacement. Would like a wireless printer and availability of cheap replacement ink is a must. Don't need anything fancy. Budget would be up to about €70.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kat1170 wrote: »
    My old Epson D88 printer seems to have come to an end. One of the reasons I bought it was the cheap replacment ink cartridges that were available. Anyone care to recommend a replacement. Would like a wireless printer and availability of cheap replacement ink is a must. Don't need anything fancy. Budget would be up to about €70.

TIA

Excluding spurious refills, you've got to pick. An ok printer probably costs €150-200 to manufacture. At €70 they're giving it away so the ink is what pays for it.

Spend more initially and not get totally destroyed on the ink, or go cheap and lose out long term at €30 for one black cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Been using spurious refills in the Epson for the last 10 years or so. I know they can be troublesome in some printers but never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I used one spurious Epsom refill and it totally banjaxed my printer. It flatly refused to print any sort of half reasonable quality thereafter, in spite of cleaning, going back to Epsom inks, etc. So I abandoned it and bought a laser printer. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, laser b/w printers are cheap to buy and run (I get a claimed 1500 pages per toner cartridge).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Have a ten year old canon printer.
    I refill the black cartridge every so often with the Tesco black ink refill. Comes with a syringe and it's a bit messy. But very very cheap, around a tenner. I think I've bought two original black cartridges in the ten years and about 4 refills. Cheapskate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I have my hard drive split in two, the C:\ with all the operating system and Microsoft's operational folders (This PC: Documents, Downloads etc).

I have an F:\ drive where I store all my "work" folders and files (the thought being that if the system gets infected, my own files will be partially protected being on a different drive). One of my own folders is F:\Documents. However, I notice that everything is duplicated in my C:\Documents.

If I delete everything in C:\Documents, will I also lose everything in F:\Documents?

I am trying to save space. I am running windows 10.

I have my hard drive split in two, the C:\ with all the operating system and Microsoft's operational folders (This PC: Documents, Downloads etc).

I have an F:\ drive where I store all my "work" folders and files (the thought being that if the system gets infected, my own files will be partially protected being on a different drive). One of my own folders is F:\Documents. However, I notice that everything is duplicated in my C:\Documents.

If I delete everything in C:\Documents, will I also lose everything in F:\Documents?

I am trying to save space. I am running windows 10.

Probably not.
    Try deleting something in C and see if it disappears of its own accord in F?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Those are just links on the C: drive, afaik. Compare file sizes to confirm.

Your strategy will not protect you in the event of physical drive failure.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Those are just links on the C: drive, afaik. Compare file sizes to confirm.

Your strategy will not protect you in the event of physical drive failure.

True, its best to have a separate physical drive to use for backing up data. And that's one of the advantages of "cloud based storage".

If your C drive or pc itself gets damaged it means your data isn't. It's stored off of or away from the pc.

A physical drive fault on your current set up and everything is potentially affected because it's backed up in the same location, same drive split in 2 or whatever. A separate drive for backing up, of course in the same location,( I mean in the room, connected to the pc with a cable) would also of course succumb to, God forbid, fire, flood or theft and then you've nothing.

That's partly why off site "cloud" storage is popular, plus you're not getting bogged down in buying separate drives that keep on running out of space.

You'd be best to consider some form of separate drive storage, either another drive or the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

How can I make Firefox my Default Browser? My problem is when I look in Default Programs, Firefox is not listed. I use Firefox all the time, and each time I open it, it prompts me to click "Use Firefox as my Default Browser" - that does not change anything. I do not have Internet Explorer loaded in my system. Any suggestions welcome. TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What version of Windows are you using, Cnoc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cnoc wrote: »
    How can I make Firefox my Default Browser? My problem is when I look in Default Programs, Firefox is not listed. I use Firefox all the time, and each time I open it, it prompts me to click "Use Firefox as my Default Browser" - that does not change anything. I do not have Internet Explorer loaded in my system. Any suggestions welcome. TIA.

Which version of Windows are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you click on Tools and then Options you will see a box to tick to make it your default browser.

What version of Windows are you using, Cnoc?

Windows 7, 64 bit.

muffler wrote: »
    If you click on Tools and then Options you will see a box to tick to make it your default browser.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

That's rather odd...

I don't have Windows 7 any more (I've Windows 10) so I can't test it on my computer. Have you tried the instructions here? http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-set-default-browser-and-e-mail-programs-in-windows-7-and-vista/

That's rather odd...

I don't have Windows 7 any more (I've Windows 10) so I can't test it on my computer. Have you tried the instructions here? http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-set-default-browser-and-e-mail-programs-in-windows-7-and-vista/

I have already tried these instructions, but Firefox is not listed.

Umm.... I wonder would uninstalling and reinstalling work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

I have already tried these instructions, but Firefox is not listed.

Its not listed as Mozilla Firefox by any chance? Would be further down the list and may not be obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Advertisement