Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Can you drag & drop a single PDF into the email window as attachment?

No. I use Microsoft Outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Usually when you attach a file to an email you get an "Openfile" dialog that will show all files in a particular location (poss My Documents etc) that fit a certain filetype (e.g. *.pdf) You select one, it gets sent, the recipient doesn't see what you did. Try sending a mail to yourself and attaching one.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Visible where? In the email before you send it? if so do they also show up when the recipient receives it.

Yes, to both questions. When I click on 'Home' box in attached PDF all PDF's are shown.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Usually when you attach a file to an email you get an "Openfile" dialog that will show all files in a particular location (poss My Documents etc) that fit a certain filetype (e.g. *.pdf) You select one, it gets sent, the recipient doesn't see what you did. Try sending a mail to yourself and attaching one.

I do not get the option to 'Open file'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

cnoc wrote: »
    I do not get the option to 'Open file'.

Maybe its called something else in your environment; where you choose the file to attach

Could the visibility of other files when you receive an email be a Save As type dialog, and its just showing you the files already present, rather than just the one attached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yes, to both questions. When I click on 'Home' box in attached PDF all PDF's are shown.

Ok when you first click on the "New mail" option you get the New Mail screen

2yosaa8.jpg

Then after filling in the details of the recipient etc you hit the "Insert" tab and get this screen

fvv7z7.jpg

The press the "Attach File" option at the top left and it will allow you to search your PC for the file you want,

Once you find the file and click on it you will be left with this screen

300xzc9.jpg

And as you can see there are no other files on show bar the one I attached :)

Hope that helps and sorry if you already know all that,wasnt trying to offend

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Maybe its called something else in your environment; where you choose the file to attach

Could the visibility of other files when you receive an email be a Save As type dialog, and its just showing you the files already present, rather than just the one attached?

When I click on any one of the PDF titles, it actually opens the file.

I'm going off line line for about 2 hrs. Thank you all for trying to solve this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

When I click on any one of the PDF titles, it actually opens the file.

I'm going off line line for about 2 hrs. Thank you all for trying to solve this issue.

Rather than clicking on the file to open it, can you highlight it without opening it?

Eureka! I've cracked it! I took a screenshot of the file I wanted to send and attached it to the email. Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Eureka! I've cracked it! I took a screenshot of the file I wanted to send and attached it to the email. Many thanks for all your suggestions.

But that doesnt fix the problem lol

• Advertisement

But that doesnt fix the problem lol
    icon5.png

icon5.png

You shouldnt have needed to take a screenshot,attaching a file to an email should be a bog standard simple thing to achieve,

There maybe another time when you actually need to send the complete PDF and not a screenshot.

You shouldnt have needed to take a screenshot,attaching a file to an email should be a bog standard simple thing to achieve,

There maybe another time when you actually need to send the complete PDF and not a screenshot.

Okay, point taken. I'll see at a later date if I can solve this issue. Thanks again.

Okay, point taken. I'll see at a later date if I can solve this issue. Thanks again.

Sorry I wasnt trying to be smart,did you see my post above with the screenshots?

Anyway I will leave it at that so :)

Happy New Year.

Sorry I wasnt trying to be smart,did you see my post above with the screenshots?

Anyway I will leave it at that so :)

Happy New Year.

Yes, I saw your screenshots and will have another look tomorrow night. And no I didn't take your comment as being smart. You have been v helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I so wish I knew about this thread when I started. Has been hit and miss with most things I learned to do, mostly miss. Looking back thru the thread, it is helping me so much now. Thank you OP.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to embed (I may be using the word wrong) or upload images from your computer into a PM, much the same way you can in a post? There seems to be no 'manage attachments' option for PMs as there are for thread replies. (by the way, I use the Legacy site exclusively, with a laptop).

I have found a temporary option, by using the manage attachments feature on a thread reply (but instead of posting a pic) tagging the uploaded boards image address into a PM. This, however, is only a very temporary fix, as boards clears their cache of images daily, which wipes out any pics I PMed the day before - meaning the receiver can't refer back to them at a later date.

PMing images from your computer is very useful, in showing others screenshots of issues, etc... Have you found a way to PM pics directly from your computer?

B00! wrote: »
    I am wondering if anyone knows a way to embed (I may be using the word wrong) or upload images from your computer into a PM, much the same way you can in a post? There seems to be no 'manage attachments' option for PMs as there are for thread replies. (by the way, I use the Legacy site exclusively, with a laptop).

I have found a temporary option, by using the manage attachments feature on a thread reply (but instead of posting a pic) tagging the uploaded boards image address into a PM. This, however, is only a very temporary fix, as boards clears their cache of images daily, which wipes out any pics I PMed the day before - meaning the receiver can't refer back to them at a later date.

PMing images from your computer is very useful, in showing others screenshots of issues, etc... Have you found a way to PM pics directly from your computer?

You will need to host them somewhere else first,like tinypic,and then copy and paste the img link into your pm

You will need to host them somewhere else first,like tinypic,and then copy and paste the img link into your pm
    Thanks wiz569 :) appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

How do I attach a link to a pm or email?

• Advertisement

Triboro wrote: »
    How do I attach a link to a pm or email?

Just copy and paste the links URL into the pm or email

Just copy and paste the links URL into the pm or email

Oh ok, have to figure out this copy and paste business so! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The url is the page 'reference' at the very top of each page, on this page the url is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102209287#post102209287 - the http:// bit may not be visible.

Put the cursor, (the flashing l bar) at one end of the url then hold down the shift key and swipe the l bar right along the url and it will light up blue. Then hold down the ctrl key and hit the c key (copy) then put the l bar / curser where you want the url to go, hold down the ctrl key and hit v (paste).

looksee wrote: »
    The url is the page 'reference' at the very top of each page, on this page the url is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102209287#post102209287 - the http:// bit may not be visible.

Put the cursor, (the flashing l bar) at one end of the url then hold down the shift key and swipe the l bar right along the url and it will light up blue. Then hold down the ctrl key and hit the c key (copy) then put the l bar / curser where you want the url to go, hold down the ctrl key and hit v (paste).

Thanks for the info, I should have said in the op that I'm trying do do it on the phone.

Triboro wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I should have said in the op that I'm trying do do it on the phone.

Little bit trickier alright lol

Usually if you press and hold the URL it will turn blue and give you the option to copy,its usually a picture like two pages together,press that then proceed to your pm/email and press and hold where you want to paste the link and a little box will pop up with either the word "paste" or a pic of a clipboard,press whichever one you get and bobs your uncle

Little bit trickier alright lol

Usually if you press and hold the URL it will turn blue and give you the option to copy,its usually a picture like two pages together,press that then proceed to your pm/email and press and hold where you want to paste the link and a little box will pop up with either the word "paste" or a pic of a clipboard,press whichever one you get and bobs your uncle

Grand job,give it a shot,thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Bit of a strange one. For the last 2-3 days whenever I open up a thread on Boards the wheel on my mouse scrolls very, very, slowly. Doesn't happen on the main threads page, this reply page or any other web pages, only on an opened thread page. AFAIK I haven't changed any settings and even if I did, surely it would affect all pages/threads/sites.

Its more a huge PITA than anything. Anyone any ideas. Maybe Boards.ie changed some setting, or maybe I did. :confused::confused::confused:

Doesn't happen on every thread, maybe 80%, but seems to be instant on the thread pages it does happen on :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

^^

I had to change from Mozilla Firefox this week, it was gone very slow, with other problems too. Strangely, it seemed to be Boards that was affected most. Are you using Firefox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

coolhull wrote: »
    ^^

I had to change from Mozilla Firefox this week, it was gone very slow, with other problems too. Strangely, it seemed to be Boards that was affected most. Are you using Firefox?

I flick between Edge and Chrome depending on what site I am looking at. This only happens on Boards and only when logged in on Edge. Doesn't happen when logged out or on other similar sites regardless of what browser I use.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else have an old MacBook Pro? Why is scrolling such a difficulty? 'n highlighting text is virtually impossible! :mad:

I am used to the missing right-click feature of PC's, so this blasted Mac is very annoying!

Advertisement