Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

chinwag wrote: »
    As Foresty has said, it's used by Ulster Bank as an antivirus. I found it brought my computer to a crawl and had to uninstall it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, UB's antivirus slowed my computer right down as well - so I uninstalled to and got back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When I open up my computer I'm faced with a very pretty picture. Where are these pictures coming from? It was suggested to me either Pinterest or Microsoft but no-one I ask really knows. I wondered if some outside force placed them on my screen, what else could be lurking in the bowels of my computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    When I open up my computer I'm faced with a very pretty picture. Where are these pictures coming from? It was suggested to me either Pinterest or Microsoft but no-one I ask really knows. I wondered if some outside force placed them on my screen, what else could be lurking in the bowels of my computer?

Its called Windows Spotlight, the Bing search agent finds and downloads them for your pleasure :)

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-screen-images-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

If you're using Windows 10 (I can't remember for the previous versions of Windows!) then you can customize these pictures with a picture/photo of your own.
    Just left click anywhere on your desktop image, on the menu that pops up, click on personalize and that will bring you to the relevant Settings and select Browse anf go to the folder that has your pictures. Select the picture and bingo, you've got a new desktop picture of your very own.

On rereading your post, I now think you mean before you log on to Windows. I did find somewhere to change this but like most thing, unless I use them on a daily basis, I forget where I found it!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

wiz569 wrote: »
    Its called Windows Spotlight, the Bing search agent finds and downloads them for your pleasure :)

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/find-windows-spotlight-lock-screen-images-windows-10/

Thanks. Its getting late so I just quickly scanned that link, it seems to be assisting with getting the images, haven't come across a way to get rid of 'em yet but I will check it out in more detail tomorrow.

.......On rereading your post, I now think you mean before you log on to Windows. I did find somewhere to change this but like most thing, unless I use them on a daily basis, I forget where I found it!!.

That's right, its before I log on. Might suss it out with tekrevue as as I said above. Thanks for replying.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Its getting late so I just quickly scanned that link, it seems to be assisting with getting the images, haven't come across a way to get rid of 'em yet but I will check it out in more detail tomorrow.

Ah you didn't say you wanted them gone ,just head to Start > Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen and chose another option for your lock screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a load of photos in google photos. I tried to put one onto Boards, put in the url but it came up on the page with the little 'pic' icon rather than showing the photo. I have put pics up before but this thing with google is baffling me. Any suggestions please?

looksee wrote: »
    I have a load of photos in google photos. I tried to put one onto Boards, put in the url but it came up on the page with the little 'pic' icon rather than showing the photo. I have put pics up before but this thing with google is baffling me. Any suggestions please?

Cannot be done directly through Google photos,but you can add a link to your Google photos in your Google drive and then there is a slightly convoluted way to embed them into a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, its hard to know because it appears to have worked on my own computer - because the photos are on my computer. I will go back to plan A, which is also convoluted, but works.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

What is a good free PDF to convert word docs. I downloaded PDF Architect 4 but the icons at the top of the page and the print are like "hit you between the eyes"! Any suggestions please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cnoc wrote: »
    What is a good free PDF to convert word docs. I downloaded PDF Architect 4 but the icons at the top of the page and the print are like "hit you between the eyes"! Any suggestions please?

Is ComponentOne Workspace any use to you

Is ComponentOne Workspace any use to you

No, I use wins 7. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Will MS Office not save/export docs to PDF?

You could use LibreOffice which definitely does, and has the benefit of being libre software and free of cost.

... but maybe I misunderstood your needs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

It pretends to be a printer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I use PDFCreator. As above, it appears as a printer and works well. There are many others just as good.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/download

Thanks to all for your replies.

Me again, I have a problem with Dropbox.

I cannot open Dropbox. It says see log file 'file:///c:/users/rupert/appdata/roaming/dropbox/bin/dropbox.exe.log' for details. I did that but the log file doesn't mean anything to me! Any suggestions please.

Me again, I have a problem with Dropbox.

I cannot open Dropbox. It says see log file 'file:///c:/users/rupert/appdata/roaming/dropbox/bin/dropbox.exe.log' for details. I did that but the log file doesn't mean anything to me! Any suggestions please.

Any chance you could attach or copy and paste the log file here?

Did you try right clicking it and choosing 'run as administrator'

Any chance you could attach or copy and paste the log file here?

Did you try right clicking it and choosing 'run as administrator'

Yes, I tried to run as administrator but still got the error message.

Here's the file:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "dropbox", line 2, in <module> File "multiprocessing\__init__.pyo", line 84, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 12, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 10, in __load ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. Traceback (most recent call last): File "dropbox", line 2, in <module> File "multiprocessing\__init__.pyo", line 84, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 12, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 10, in __load ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. Traceback (most recent call last): File "dropbox", line 2, in <module> File "multiprocessing\__init__.pyo", line 84, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 12, in <module> File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 10, in __load ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

See next post as the log file is easier to read.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "dropbox", line 2, in <module>
    File "multiprocessing\__init__.pyo", line 84, in <module>
    File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 12, in <module>
    File "_multiprocessing.pyo", line 10, in __load
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

• Advertisement

Seems to be missing a module,best bet is to reinstall it m8,somethings got corrrupted I would guess.

Seems to be missing a module,best bet is to reinstall it m8,somethings got corrrupted I would guess.

If I reinstall, will I lose all the files etc. I have saved in Dropbox?

If I reinstall, will I lose all the files etc. I have saved in Dropbox?

The ones in the cloud will be fine but not sure about the ones on your PC,best bet is to copy the dropbox folder to a different location first,then move it back after

The ones in the cloud will be fine but not sure about the ones on your PC,best bet is to copy the dropbox folder to a different location first,then move it back after

Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for your assistance.

Lets know if it works :)

Lets know if it works :)

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Yes that problem solved.

I'm stuck again :mad: Excuse all my questions.

When I attach a PDF file to an outgoing email, all the PDF files I have in my laptop are visible! On the Header of the PDF there is an option for 'Home' and another one for 'Tools' and if I click on the Home option all my PDF files can be seen. What can I do to prevent this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When I attach a PDF file to an outgoing email, all the PDF files I have in my laptop are visible! On the Header of the PDF there is an option for 'Home' and another one for 'Tools' and if I click on the Home option all my PDF files can be seen. What can I do to prevent this happening?

Is there a checkbox beside each file so you can select the one to attach?

Not your ornery onager

No, I cannot see a check box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can you drag & drop a single PDF into the email window as attachment?

• Advertisement

Visible where? In the email before you send it? if so do they also show up when the recipient receives it.

Advertisement