Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My Boards connection is the same as JB's - no http and no padlock. When I clicked on the i sign it said it was not secure. I hadn't noticed that before. That link is to geo hub and does have padlock etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My Youtube problem is now remedied as I used Chrome as suggested but still don't know why it transpired that I have to use it now for YT. At least I have access now, thanks chaps.

Apparently there was one of those updates 'to improve our service' in firefox recently, it caused a few issues.

Maybe that's the problem so.

No it wasn't actually. Himself spent some time on this this evening and fixed the problem for me. YAY! He first of all noticed that the link which sydthebeat gave me was a link for mobiles and I don't use my mobile online. Then he checked the Mozilla forum where he found out the problem could be fixed by clearing our cache and cookies, which he did, and voila, all has been restored. Peace has descended upon me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

A few months ago I saved a word doc to a USB stick, size 173Kb. Today, I saved the doc to same USB stick, having made a few minor changes and the size is 44Kb. Why does that happen?

cnoc wrote: »
    A few months ago I saved a word doc to a USB stick, size 173Kb. Today, I saved the doc to same USB stick, having made a few minor changes and the size is 44Kb. Why does that happen?

Could be due to compression although that is a significant difference after only minor changes.

An example of data compression can reduce a 500mb file to 16mb so it is within the realms possibility: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutter_Prize

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Bloody Win 10 update is after messing up my laptop.

It has the screen all stretched looking and Sleep has disappeared from my power options so when I close the lid it shuts laptop off completely.

Have checked all drivers and it says all up to date.

When I recover laptop to an earlier date everything is fine but then Windows updates after an hour or so and everything is messed up again.

Have run AVG, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner and all come up clear.

Anybody have anything similar happen to them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Bloody Win 10 update is after messing up my laptop.

It has the screen all stretched looking and Sleep has disappeared from my power options so when I close the lid it shuts laptop off completely.

Have checked all drivers and it says all up to date.

When I recover laptop to an earlier date everything is fine but then Windows updates after an hour or so and everything is messed up again.

Have run AVG, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner and all come up clear.

Anybody have anything similar happen to them ??

Might be something relevant in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105276702

As mentioned in the other thread I also had issues after a win 10 update, though not particularly the issues you are talking about. Though now you mention it my laptop does seem to open rather randomly, not always with the same sequence of images/pages. It doesn't cause me any problems though so I ignore it.

You could try clearing all your cookies etc., but I kinda found that it improved after a couple of days, no idea why or how.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had this. It's a conflict with some graphics cards. You need to roll back your graphics cards drivers.
    Go into Device Manager, to Display adapters, right-click your display adapter,
    go to Update Driver, click on "Browse my computer for driver software",
    then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer", and skip the top three options which are all the same (Version 22.19.128.0 [7/25/2017]) to use Version 8.970.100.9001 [1/13/2015].
    Sorry for the size of this. Hopefully you can follow it and yours is the same.
    picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15450

I can’t logout of flickr.com. I’ve Googled it and I can’t see a “Buddy Icon” for to logout. Any suggestions please. I’ve also failed to delete my account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cnoc wrote: »
    I can’t logout of flickr.com. I’ve Googled it and I can’t see a “Buddy Icon” for to logout. Any suggestions please. I’ve also failed to delete my account?

Do you have an avatar of any sort in the top right of your screen? Beside the cloud icon and a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hold down the top right icon (a camera on mine) and a log out option appears. No idea why the call it the buddy icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hold down the top right icon (a camera on mine) and a log out option appears. No idea why the call it the buddy icon.

If you didn't upload an avatar the camera might be the default one set.

Many thanks for your replies. I don't have an avatar, but the camera icon let me sign out successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you didn't upload an avatar the camera might be the default one set.

No 'might be' about it; It defaults to a camera. I still never got why they call it the 'buddy' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I came across a useful site yesterday but my security warned me not to click on it..... then I had a power cut I was trying to sort it out when the computer came back on the thing had done an auto download...... stupid machine had done something to itself. I couldn't get it to do anything until I got help. Now all my files have gone including my photos.
    be careful out there folks, it is a big bad world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Rubecula wrote: »
    I came across a useful site yesterday but my security warned me not to click on it..... then I had a power cut I was trying to sort it out when the computer came back on the thing had done an auto download...... stupid machine had done something to itself. I couldn't get it to do anything until I got help. Now all my files have gone including my photos.
    be careful out there folks, it is a big bad world

Did you get anything back? You might have a recent restore point to roll back to, are you on Windows 10?

no nothing back could not do a system restore had to return the computer to factory settings and yes I am on windows 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Rubecula wrote: »
    no nothing back could not do a system restore had to return the computer to factory settings and yes I am on windows 10

You can download a free program called Recuva that can scan for and recover lost files, even from a disk that has been formatted and re-installed/reset to factory, if the files were important all is not lost

Linky Here

21/25

thanks uch

After I reinstalled Firefox, I cannot open any hyperlink from M/S Outlook 2003. I get the following message - "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system administrator"

I Googled my problem but wasn't able to fix it. Any help appreciated.

Can you check is Firefox still your default browser?

If it is, uncheck it, set Internet Explorer (Edge) as default.
    Open one page. Close it.
    Open Firefox again and set it as default.

spurious wrote: »
    Can you check is Firefox still your default browser?

If it is, uncheck it, set Internet Explorer (Edge) as default.
    Open one page. Close it.
    Open Firefox again and set it as default.

Thanks for your assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi, my name is Thick, Very Thick......LOL...
    About 2 years ago, I bought a Toshiba HD box, for recording off a Saorview box.
    I brought it into a local PC shop to get it cleared, as it was full.
    Cant get it back working. I had a look for the original paperwork to look for instructions on how to load/install
    again, but of course I cant find it.

Would appreciate help please. Talk in baby english, as you are dealing with a total tecknophobe ||||

Thanks in advance. ODL. x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hi, my name is Thick, Very Thick......LOL...
    About 2 years ago, I bought a Toshiba HD box, for recording off a Saorview box.
    I brought it into a local PC shop to get it cleared, as it was full.
    Cant get it back working. I had a look for the original paperwork to look for instructions on how to load/install
    again, but of course I cant find it.

Would appreciate help please. Talk in baby english, as you are dealing with a total tecknophobe ||||

Thanks in advance. ODL. x

Does it have a model number? Should be on the front of the device, but could be on a label on the back or bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Hi there :o can I ask a dumb question? Anyone know what these speed tests mean? I did one cos my laptop's taking a few minutes to open a tab. So now I have the results but none of the speed test sites explain what it all means. why it can't just gauge as slow or fast is besides me.

445578.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Download is how fast you can receive data to your computer. Upload is how fast you can send data to the internet. Think of the numbers as the Diameter of a pipe. The Bigger the number, the bigger the pipe, the more data flows at once.

Ping is the Delay that each little bit of information encounters on its way to you. The Ping Time is ok.

That download speed is pretty poor though.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Thank you Nate :) appreciate the good explain!

Advertisement