Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Having read the posts from the last couple of days, I am glad I don't have to deal with all that stuff.

just the old dirty cow now and again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

batistuta9 wrote: »
    just the old dirty cow now and again :pac:

nope .... the day after it was announced I upgraded the kernel from the repository killing that bovine.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Have any of you used Rapport anti-virus/malware? Would you recommend to download it? Googled it but the reviews are about 5/6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Foresty

cnoc wrote: »
    Have any of you used Rapport anti-virus/malware? Would you recommend to download it? Googled it but the reviews are about 5/6 years old.

Thats the banking one that Ulster bank recommend so that you are definitely connected to them when you are trying to log into them and not some dodgy site that changed the spelling of the site or some such to fool the unsuspecting isin't it??

Yea it is.

https://supportcentre.ulsterbank.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/3476/

It says it doesn't need updates so it only has a very specific use.

I use Avast for antivirus, theirs loads of others, you don't need to pay for it, free is fine, it works in the backgroud, updates it self.

Also install Malwarebytes, free is fine with this one to but it doesn't work in the background like avast. you have to open it, click on update and click scan. Do it once a week or that.

Or if you download something right click on it and you'll see an option to scan with malwarebytes.

Virustotal is another good site for checking all sorts really. Google own it. You can get it to download something before you do to check if it's ok or you can get it to check a dodgy looking website out before you open it to see if it's ok.

Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

Hello All,

When I want to use an Icon in my reply, and I put the cursor where I want it to be,and then click the Icon, It won't go where I want it to go, but will shoot up over my post. as you can see above. I can't figure it out,and it's bugging me, I'm a stubborn old thing,and I can't leave it until I fix it, I think I've taken ten steps back since I signed up for boards. Any help much appreciated thanks.

• Advertisement

Whocanibe wrote: »
    Hello All,

When I want to use an Icon in my reply, and I put the cursor where I want it to be,and then click the Icon, It won't go where I want it to go, but will shoot up over my post. as you can see above. I can't figure it out,and it's bugging me, I'm a stubborn old thing,and I can't leave it until I fix it, I think I've taken ten steps back since I signed up for boards. Any help much appreciated thanks.

Choose from the list to the right side of your post to get the smilies into the text area.
    Those under the message box are for the heading of the post.

Smilies
    :cool::P:confused:
    :pac::D;)
    :p:):rolleyes:
    :o:mad::(
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You mean but this:) here?

My first attempt threw it to the top but I clicked again where I wanted it, selected and image and there it is. As said, choose from the right hand panel.

Thank you for answering, I'm not getting any icons to the right,only the one's under the text box ? I wonder if that has to do with my post count, Jeez,I'm dreading getting to the Quote button

Thank you for answering, I'm not getting any icons to the right,only the one's under the text box ? I wonder if that has to do with my post count, Jeez,I'm dreading getting to the Quote button

Are you seeing the full width of the page?

Maybe try a different browser to eliminate something there.

Are you seeing the full width of the page?

Maybe try a different browser to eliminate something there.

Yes,I have the full width of the page, I use Chrome,not sure if that is causing the problem,thanks anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When you click on the icon / smilie it will appear where the cursor is flashing. If putting it in at the end of a sentence it doesnt matter how many times you hit the space bar it will still appear at the end of the sentance :)

Well I know the Quote button is working!!

muffler wrote: »
    When you click on the icon / smilie it will appear where the cursor is flashing. If putting it in at the end of a sentence it doesnt matter how many times you hit the space bar it will still appear at the end of the sentance :)

Nope, I put it in where the cursor is flashing, it goes to the Header, then jumps to above the post when I submit, I don't have any smilies on the right like the other poster says, just the ones under the text,so maybe that is the problem, I have little to be bothering me eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Click Post Reply, not Quick Reply and you should get an edit box with icons on the right
    :(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac::D;):p:rolleyes::o:mad:

Also there are Post Icons below the box :cool:

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Click Post Reply, not Quick Reply and you should get an edit box with icons on the right

Yup, I'd be fairly sure thats the problem...and the solution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Turn on the Enhanced editor first from your Control Panel- Edit Options,scroll down near the end,dont forget to save changes

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Post Reply is the one I'm using, I haven't used Quick Reply yet, that was to be my next
    question

wiz569 wrote: »
    Turn on the Enhanced editor first from your Control Panel- Edit Options,scroll down near the end,dont forget to save changes

Aha,thank you so much, :o and to everyone else too. I'm sure I'll be back many times :)

Just picking up on what you said here. Is it an icon or a smilie you want to use?

Icons are always located at the bottom of the reply text box while smilies are always on the right. If you select an icon form the bottom it will appear on top of your post.

Also when you look at the different options available to you in the reply text box you will see a little smilie at the top and clciking on it will allow you to selct one from the drop down list.

Edit / I see you got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

As Foresty has said, it's used by Ulster Bank as an antivirus. I found it brought my computer to a crawl and had to uninstall it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Just picking up on what you said here. Is it an icon or a smilie you want to use?

Icons are always located at the bottom of the reply text box while smilies are always on the right. If you select an icon form the bottom it will appear on top of your post.

Also when you look at the different options available to you in the reply text box you will see a little smilie at the top and clciking on it will allow you to selct one from the drop down list.

Edit / I see you got sorted

Thanks a bunch, I was calling them icons because I didn't have the smilie box to the right, been sorted now,thanks to everyone, I have no doubt you'll be seeing me again. :D It's the little things that bother you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Foresty

chinwag wrote: »
    As Foresty has said, it's used by Ulster Bank as an antivirus. I found it brought my computer to a crawl and had to uninstall it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Nope. Not an antivirus. It's just to make sure you connect to ulsterbank and not an imposter site.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Foresty wrote: »
    Nope. Not an antivirus. It's just to make sure you connect to ulsterbank and not an imposter site.
    Yeah, not really an AV but it does a bit more than ensuring your connection is genuine. But my point was that it slowed my PC to a crawl recently and I had to uninstall it, although I don't think it caused that much of problem a couple of years ago. I just wondered if others have found it to slow their computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

chinwag wrote: »
    Yeah, not really an AV but it does a bit more than ensuring your connection is genuine. But my point was that it slowed my PC to a crawl recently and I had to uninstall it, although I don't think it caused that much of problem a couple of years ago. I just wondered if others have found it to slow their computers.

Yes. I had it on my now retired ancient Dell desktop and it made it unusable. I've never used it since. I use the phone app mostly.

Re Pocket List:
    1. How can I save an icon/image from my desktop to the Pocket List?
    2. How can I save a web page to the Pocket List?

Re Pocket List:
    1. How can I save an icon/image from my desktop to the Pocket List?
    2. How can I save a web page to the Pocket List?

1.Dont think you can tbh
    2.Once signed into Pocket using your Firefox account,just click on the Pocket Icon in the menu bar with the web page open and it will auto save it for you

Hope that helped :)

1.Dont think you can tbh
    2.Once signed into Pocket using your Firefox account,just click on the Pocket Icon in the menu bar with the web page open and it will auto save it for you

Hope that helped :)

Thank you:)

Oops... there is no pocket icon in the menu bar! I have tried finding it in the menu list but it's not there. Do you know how I could try adding it to the menu bar?

Oops... there is no pocket icon in the menu bar! I have tried finding it in the menu list but it's not there. Do you know how I could try adding it to the menu bar?

Sorry its not actually the Menu Bar,its the other bar lol,the one below the menu bar with the search box etc,just right click on that and select "Customise" then on the next screen just click and drag the pocket icon up to the bar :)

• Advertisement

Sorry its not actually the Menu Bar,its the other bar lol,the one below the menu bar with the search box etc,just right click on that and select "Customise" then on the next screen just click and drag the pocket icon up to the bar :)

Got it! Thank you.

Advertisement