Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If some of these charts become reality. it may well be that the Antrim coast is the area to be complaining about the Isle of Man shadow. That could be fun to watch :D

Have to admit, I think we're going to see some thought provoking weather if this comes about, and the models do seem to be coming together on some of this at the moment.

MT's comments on this are going to be more than interesting at some stage, given his track record and previous forecasts.

As several people have remarked recently, winter's far from over yet.

Don't worry, I've got all Snow Shadow complaint angles covered. That wind direction that would put Antrim in the IOM shadow would put Bray in the Anglesey/Hollyhead shadow. Always the pessimist is me! :D

Anyway, at least in the coming weeks my Location tag on boards will become relevent again rather than the curiousity its been for the last 12 months (especially during the Summer) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Scandi High still building on GFS P.V being pusted away from Greenland

h500slp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nabber wrote: »
    Scandi High still building on GFS P.V being pusted away from Greenland

h500slp.png

Is the above good or bad for cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is the above good or bad for cold?

Better for cold than what we've been experiencing all winter so far :p. The low south of us and high north of us would feed air from the continent to us, so provided it is cold enough there and along the way it would be good for colder weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pretty good but its over 2 weeks away so not going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I spent Friday and yesterday watching the chart runs, this forum and the netweather one like a hawk. I learned one major thing.. I was only winding myself up!

I did learn a whole lot about the charts in one 24/48hr period though, enough to realise that Id continue to drive myself mad looking at it. You get lulled into a sense that the discussion is leading to a conclusion based on what you're looking at. Its almost like looking at a map to drive to a place knowing that theres only a 10% chance the place is actually there at all. You get wound into the charts forgetting that they aren't a reflection of what will happen at all really.. just a provider of building blocks for a trend.

Ive decided to stop looking every few hours now and just check in at this time in the evenings for a few mins to see what way the trends went that day. I'll check MT's forecasts in the mornings too just to take the edge off the cravings.

My motivation is to bring my 1yr old girl out and hear her say 'snow!'. It'd be one of those magic little Daddy/Daughter moments that I'll remind her off when she hates me when she's 15.

Im desperately hoping for a snowfall, nothing destructive just something that gives some lamp post staring time and that illusive daughter moment.

Do I think we'll get it this year? Honestly, no. My reason is that for every 10 times the charts have ramped me up, Ive seen snow once. I think I used up my 'once' in 2010.

I hope Im wrong!

Anyway.. waffle over. It seems the charts today are producing nothing of the hysteria of yesterday and seem to be preparing for a downgrade that may upgrade.

Not to be puntastic but it really seems to be all up in the air til 96 hrs out tells me otherwise. Maybe then I'll take my hands away from my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Trotter wrote: »
    I spent Friday and yesterday watching the chart runs, this forum and the netweather one like a hawk. I learned one major thing.. I was only winding myself up!

I did learn a whole lot about the charts in one 24/48hr period though, enough to realise that Id continue to drive myself mad looking at it. You get lulled into a sense that the discussion is leading to a conclusion based on what you're looking at. Its almost like looking at a map to drive to a place knowing that theres only a 10% chance the place is actually there at all. You get wound into the charts forgetting that they aren't a reflection of what will happen at all really.. just a provider of building blocks for a trend.

Ive decided to stop looking every few hours now and just check in at this time in the evenings for a few mins to see what way the trends went that day. I'll check MT's forecasts in the mornings too just to take the edge off the cravings.

My motivation is to bring my 1yr old girl out and hear her say 'snow!'. It'd be one of those magic little Daddy/Daughter moments that I'll remind her off when she hates me when she's 15.

Im desperately hoping for a snowfall, nothing destructive just something that gives some lamp post staring time and that illusive daughter moment.

Do I think we'll get it this year? Honestly, no. My reason is that for every 10 times the charts have ramped me up, Ive seen snow once. I think I used up my 'once' in 2010.

I hope Im wrong!

Anyway.. waffle over. It seems the charts today are producing nothing of the hysteria of yesterday and seem to be preparing for a downgrade that may upgrade.

Not to be puntastic but it really seems to be all up in the air til 96 hrs out tells me otherwise. Maybe then I'll take my hands away from my eyes.
    spoken like a true winter roller-coaster rider but i really hope you get snow Trotter for your daddy/daughter moment,as visa would say "priceless" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

delw wrote: »
    spoken like a true winter roller-coaster rider but i really hope you get snow Trotter for your daddy/daughter moment,as visa would say "priceless" ;)

I stood her 9 month pregnant mam out in the garden in the middle of the blizzard for a photo in December 2010 so that will have to do if it doesnt come off this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

delw wrote: »

Winter Jacket - €50... Gloves & Hat for Trotter's little girl - €15 .... the look on delw's face when he realises that's for Mastercard and not Visa.... priceless... :rolleyes: There are many things the charts can't predict, for everything else there's Mastercard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

:)

ao.sprd2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    :)

ao.sprd2.gif

Jesus Christ ,

Nearly fallen off the chart ,

How's the NAO looking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Jesus Christ ,

Nearly fallen off the chart ,

How's the NAO looking ?

The AO is heading negative just before the middle of the month. The NAO is trending toward neutral or just slightly into positive territory suggesting a weaker Atlantic influence in the middle third of January.

187766.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ThIngs shaping up nicely , let's hope this trend continues !

She was even asking me on Sunday did I think the grass needed a cut !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I put that up just for you haha

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

She was even asking me on Sunday did I think the grass needed a cut !!!

Tell her, "you're absolutely right, yes, it does, and while you're at it you can pull up some of those weeds too.. thanks dear." (she'll probably beat snow out of you for that).

cfs-0-522_lsz6.png

Can anyone explain that 1025 inside a 955/960 low just south of Iceland? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    http://images.meteociel.fr/im/3666/cfs-0-522_lsz6.png

Can anyone explain that 1025 inside a 955/960 low just south of Iceland? :confused:

Some sort of error in the output from the model or the graphing i'd say.

trogdor wrote: »
    Some sort of error in the output from the model or the graphing i'd say.

Thought the same, was just making sure I hadn't missed something like that in class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Not the easterly we are looking for. But if the low could drop further south it could be a nice set up. But this is FI, were things get pushed out by 6 more days, then by 7 days. Then we are into Feb, things get pushed out again. On comes March. Only the diehard Snowmen are around. The circle of pain for many people here.....

h500slp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

High too close to us but at T159 Cold about to flow into Europe.

h850t850eu.png

High at the wrong angle for us then

h850t850eu.png

Then a cold south easterly

h850t850eu.png

Pattern change ok, long way to go before we know if the cold comes anywhere near us though. Expect plenty of more mild then back to cold runs over next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

P.S UKMO says NO!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

P.S UKMO says NO!

It's been saying that for a while now. Will wait and see what happens I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:eek::eek: .... :D

DAM THIS FORUM... DISTRACTING ME FROM MY MATHEMATICAL STUDIES!!! * SHAKES FIST!! *

... Now.... back to the charts... I MEAN ADVANCED CALCULUS!!

:rolleyes:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :eek::eek: .... :D

DAM THIS FORUM... DISTRACTING ME FROM MY MATHEMATICAL STUDIES!!! * SHAKES FIST!! *

... Now.... back to the charts... I MEAN ADVANCED CALCULUS!!

:rolleyes:

Haha snap! Have the thermodynamics book on one side of the laptop and the calculus book on the other but all my attention is going solely to the laptop :p

Haha I'm also stuck doing thermodynamics work as it happens, got barely half an hour of work done all evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

P.S UKMO says NO!

To what? Looks similar to GFS out to 144hrs and it doesn't go further than that.

Harps wrote: »
    Haha I'm also stuck doing thermodynamics work as it happens, got barely half an hour of work done all evening!

Yeah it's not so fun...

Anyway to get back on topic here's a lovely cold chart from the 12z GFS
    187871.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

x36as6.png

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

:P

Even better one here!

gens-8-0-300_aug5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Harps wrote: »
    Even better one here!

gens-8-0-300_aug5.png

HOLY CRAP ...... Talk about being in the freezer....... Bring it on ( fingers, toes and everything else crossed for at least part of that to come off )

Advertisement