Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The contrast between the GFS and the ECM, GFS has totally written off any Greenland high linking up with Azores (Which by no id a UK & Ireland high ;) ) for it's 14 day outlook.
    Is the GFS all over the place, or is the ECM playing the SSW card too soon?

ECM
    12011512_0612.gif

GFS
    12011612_0612.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Yep I witnessed the exact same thing in the Blackstairs, around the 30th December? Very heavy snow and strong easterly winds, waist depth snow. Great craic, below 250m rain and floods!

Yep 30th December sounds about right for that particular event. It was fantastic, if only the snowline had come down we would have had another 82 (as already said on this thread) for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very interesting 18z run so far... Cold ( -6s 850hp from NW ) has appeared at 180hrs ( 15th)
    12z at same 180hrs was quite different! ..

187464.png

Still in Westerly zonal flow though on this run ... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smurfette14

I too am a newbie.... Hi all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I too am a newbie.... Hi all :)

I say welcome !! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png
    mother-god-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png

:eek::eek::eek:

>>>

blu-raythe-day-after-tomorrow-big-ben-small-90015.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I say welcome !! :pac:

And that they are just in time for some really juicy FI Eye candy !

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Things are definitely starting to look interesting!!!!;)
    ECM0-240.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Prays for snow.

See the charts
    t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png

:eek:

Hey I prayed for a bit of snow not to be buried in a snow tomb like this.
    l4iSP.png
    I would love for this to happen in one sense make up for the horrible weather we are having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png

Are those two Polar Lows? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png
    ye tease Maq :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Are those two Polar Lows? :o

Nope they're just the normal kind, well maybe not quite normal the central pressure in that low is quite exceptional! Polar lows are much smaller-scale features which I think are purely convective systems and much harder to forecast/detect because of this.

Looking at a few other charts from that run some people would definitely see some snow alright but it would still be marginal I'd say especially around coastal margins. The wind though...:eek: Although it's not much use trying to analyse these charts when they're so far out and almost certainly won't materialise anyway

EDIT: There's a good explanation of polar lows here :)
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/The-Polar-low---the-arctic-hurricane.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

a big improvment from this mornings 00z run gens-0-0-384.png?6

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

t8rgnd.png
    28miba.png
    mother-god-meme.jpg

UMMMMMMM

It's even deeper than the winds that came through this week.

If that really does happen, then I suspect the people that have been worrying about the Isle of Man Shadow won't have too much to worry about for a while, the Isle of Man might come down again somewhere around Copenhagen.:D

Might be better if something this dramatic does stay in FI

l4iSP.png

This happened to us one year in Somerset, we came down one morning, and opened the door on the south western side, which was in a corner, and were faced by a wall of snow that was at least 2 Ft higher than the door. On the other side, more protected from the prevailing wind, and not in a corner, it was just under 3 Ft deep, and the car that I had parked on the "patch" next to the house at 10 pm the previous evening was buried up to the bottom of the windows. The front that had dumped that lot on us overnight got to about Salisbury and then was pushed back by the high pressure over Europe the next evening, so another dump, and after that had happened, the car could not as such be seen, but we knew where it was by the very large mound on the roof. Outside the dining room window, which was directly on to the road, we could see tarmac, but between us and the house opposite, which was about 20 Ft, there was a 6 Ft snowdrift, so NOTHING, not even military land rovers, moved down our road for several days:D. I think it was 78, but memory is getting a little vague about that long ago, and Google search is not as comprehensive that far back.

It cleared up after about 4 or 5 days, the weather warmed up and it all melted, but there were big piles of snow that had been moved by JCB's and the like that took longer to thaw. The thaw was so fast that some of the snow came off roofs like an avalanche, and there was a lot of ice in it, so anything under it at the time was well flattened. A couple of people had very close escapes when the local shop snow let go with no warning.

Another story from the same few days, a friend of our had a tracked bulldozer that got called on to clear some of the local roads, in that anything that could move was used. A few weeks later, he was driving home, and saw that the tops of the trees beside the road had been damaged by something, and when he thought about it, he realised that it was his machine that had done the damage, he's followed the phone wires home one afternoon, the tops of the poles and the wires were still visible, and he hadn't realised that at that point, when they'd put the poles in, they'd taken a shortcut across the top of a small gulley, to avoid a little bend in the road. It got his attention when he realised that the tops of the trees at the point where he's gone over them were nearly 35 Ft above the road level that he was then driving on! I drove past that point myself a few days later, and the damage was clearly visible where the tracks had broken off some of the branches at the top of the trees that were there. If I hadn't seen it, I would have found it hard to believe, but the evidence was clear, it was almost as though a hedge cutter had gone through at just that point.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Heading in the right direction at last:)

coldwo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Is that a pressure chart or a temperature chart? (excuse my ignorance)

If it's temperature then the really cold air on that chart still looks to be entrenched pretty far east and looks like it's more inclined to head south than west into the UK and Ireland :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

compsys wrote: »

If it's temperature then the really cold air on that chart still looks to be entrenched pretty far east and looks like it's more inclined to head south than west into the UK and Ireland :-(

Air temperature at the 850 hPa level, in degrees Celsius. Temperature at this level is a very good indicator of warm and cold intrusions in the lower part of the atmosphere. The 0 °C contour line can be used as a divider between rain and snow in high terrain. Negative temperature is shown with dashed contours.

Its to far out to come true. Its just the models are picking up on outcomes from new data supplied. Strat warming is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've put two posts up iwo.ie that discuss the possible change and also some details on what can influence our weather along with details on high pressure systems we see:

http://www.iwo.ie/2012/01/07/understanding-long-range-signals-and-high-pressure-system/

http://www.iwo.ie/2012/01/07/long-range-hints-possible-change-to-cold/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

compsys wrote: »

As kippure mentioned it shows the 850hpa temperature in colour with a pressure overlay as well (white lines are isobars). If you follows the isobars round the pressure system you can see roughly what direction the air is moving. So from that particular chart we are stuck in a middle-ground of sorts just about outside the influence of the cold anticyclone over Western Russia there. Although it is very encouraging to see this kind of setup with lots of cold air pushing west.
    187522.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Now here be a proper FI Chart , way way way out in FI mind you

Hang onto you hats as Buffalo Joe would say , Not windy but could leave us with conditions like Ice Pilots :D

187534.png

187536.png

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Kinda brings a frozen tear to your eye doesn't it? -12s over Ireland...

gens-3-0-384.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

My first little tummy wiggles of excitement happen when the Fantasy Island thread becomes popular... :D
    tumblr_lvrxvtFdA41r11ujq.gif

Snowmaker wrote: »

gens-3-0-384.png?12

Ah you linked the URL ,

You will need to take a screen shot or it will change on every run of the models

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Snowmaker wrote: »

gens-3-0-384.png?12

Ah you linked the URL ,

You will need to take a screen shot or it will change on every run of the models

Thanks pistolpetes11! Yyyyeeeehhhh.... Just realised that now when I re-entered the thread. My first image post, still got my training wheels on... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A much easier way is to just click this thing and copy the 'Lien direct pour forums' link

38333474.png

Plenty of interesting stuff tonight with a high somewhere up north showing up frequently dragging extreme cold from the east, -16C on the Atlantic coast of France!

gens-15-0-336_nth9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Looking a lot better now for some decent cold :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Looking a lot better now for some decent cold :P

Don't get too excited, a long way to go,baby steps in the right direction to say the least.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Now here be a proper FI Chart , way way way out in FI mind you
    187534.png

187536.png

0011_klpt.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If some of these charts become reality. it may well be that the Antrim coast is the area to be complaining about the Isle of Man shadow. That could be fun to watch :D

Have to admit, I think we're going to see some thought provoking weather if this comes about, and the models do seem to be coming together on some of this at the moment.

MT's comments on this are going to be more than interesting at some stage, given his track record and previous forecasts.

As several people have remarked recently, winter's far from over yet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement