Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The Slimming World snacks are nice. I like the hifi bars that they have, especially the rocky road and orange ones.

Most of the nicer larger ones are 6syns each but they can also found as your hexb afaik so you can work it into your day without it costing you any syns.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Thanks Achilles, I've tried the Rocky Road before, it's lovely. I never have enough cash on me to buy them in group, I should be more organised. I might get the old favourite, Curly Wurly and fire it into the freezer for a couple of hours.

What I save on snacks, I'll spend on fixing my teeth!

Putting the rocky roads into the fridge makes them go very hard and very nice, they last longer anyway so would definitely recommend doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

coughdrops wrote: »
    Do any of you have go-to snacks/munchies that are SW friendly? We're fond of our Friday night crisps in front of the TV, so want to break that habit. I'm going to cut up some peppers, and fruit, and might do some SW chips and curry sauce to dip.

Although we should be capable of watching TV without eating :-D

Saturday night is our DVD & goodies night, I know it's coming up so I plan for it & make sure I've left myself enough syns during the week to allow me to have that treat.
    I'm the type of person who when they want something bold no half measures will do so I make sure to fit something really bold into my syn plan.

You're not supposed to save up syns like that though, not like Weightwatchers.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    You're not supposed to save up syns like that though, not like Weightwatchers.

Technically you're not supposed to but I always have & it has worked out for me. Plus I've heard my consultant say more than once that it's ok so long as you just use 105 syns week.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Are you supposed to use your syns everyday? I find I'm stuffed so don't bother using them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tskk wrote: »
    Are you supposed to use your syns everyday? I find I'm stuffed so don't bother using them most of the time.

You're supposed to use a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 15. If you're struggling to use any at all an easy way is to use real oil to cook instead of Fry Light - alternatively have a full-fat yoghurt or more milk/cheese than your Healthy Extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Just had SW sticky chicken, baked beans and homemade wedges for dinner, it was soooooo good! Stuffed now :)

And all for 2 1/2 syns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Hi all, hope I can join in :) started SW for the first time, first class was on Wednesday! I'm veggi & no dairy so following the green plan... lots of pasta & carbs... I'm a bit worried as all have my old diet head that carbs are bad!! Has anyone had any good losses in the green plan??

My consultant has me at 20syns a day but to be honest I haven't gone over 12 yet!! I don't really drink so that helps I suppose! :) feel like I'm eating loads!!

I would like to lose another 6 stone. .. I have already lost just over 3... very slowly (since March 2011). .. it was 4 but I have put some on over the last 5 months :/ I started with unislim & then did Herbalife & a good bit of running. .. also lost loads thro juicing but that goes back on really quickly!! That's why I've put a stone or so back on over the last 5 months!!

I'm really really hoping this plan works for me.. I feel it's something I can totally stick to... I'll be very interested in seeing what happens at my first weigh in though will prob be a day early asi can't make the same time on Wednesday again.

Well done to everyone on their loss so far... it's been very inspirational to read everyone's stories! :) I hope I'll be over of the successes myself soon!!

If anyone has any tips for me that would be great! Thanks :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Do any of you have go-to snacks/munchies that are SW friendly? We're fond of our Friday night crisps in front of the TV, so want to break that habit. I'm going to cut up some peppers, and fruit, and might do some SW chips and curry sauce to dip.

Although we should be capable of watching TV without eating :-D

Have you made your own tortillas? Get a lasagne sheet...put it in hot water for about 10 mins...take it out cut it into triangles and sprinkle it with salt pepper paprika then spray with Fri light....pop it in the oven for 10 mins till they're Hard and crispy.

Make yourself a quickly salsa to go with it so you've still got yr 1/3 super free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Have you made your own tortillas? Get a lasagne sheet...put it in hot water for about 10 mins...take it out cut it into triangles and sprinkle it with salt pepper paprika then spray with Fri light....pop it in the oven for 10 mins till they're Hard and crispy.

Make yourself a quickly salsa to go with it so you've still got yr 1/3 super free ;)

They sound fab, I'll definitely be trying them!!

stickybean wrote: »
    Just had SW sticky chicken, baked beans and homemade wedges for dinner, it was soooooo good! Stuffed now :)

And all for 2 1/2 syns :)

Hey can u tell me what the sticky chicken is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

First bit of movement in a month and i'm up 1/2lb. That's 41/2 i've put back up, raging.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been online over the last few days. They sound great, will definitely try them next weekend.

Quick question, I'm away with work this week so haven't got my normal kitchen facilities. For handiness I had a pot of Flahavan's quick oats for brekkie. Does anyone know if I can count that as my HEXB, and add on a few syns because it has milk/sugar in it. Or do I need to syn the lot?

And either way, how many syns is it?

Going to w/i tonight as there is a group local to my office here, so I'm a day early. Not sure if that's good or not!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been online over the last few days. They sound great, will definitely try them next weekend.

Quick question, I'm away with work this week so haven't got my normal kitchen facilities. For handiness I had a pot of Flahavan's quick oats for brekkie. Does anyone know if I can count that as my HEXB, and add on a few syns because it has milk/sugar in it. Or do I need to syn the lot?

And either way, how many syns is it?

Going to w/i tonight as there is a group local to my office here, so I'm a day early. Not sure if that's good or not!

I would think you'd have to syn the lot. You're only allowed 35g of oats (I think) and I would imagine there's a lot more than that in the pot? Unless you take 35g off the total calorie value of the pot and syn the balance? Ask in group tonight for future reference, but if you're weighing in today, I wouldn't worry about it too much for this week...you're on the brink of a new week after all ;)

Daniboo....are you doing a food diary? Is there anything that's changed recently? Are you exercising more?

thank you!

Just checked, and it's a 44g pot, 81% porridge oats....so I worked that out as 36g porridge. As you say, best to check with them, so i'll ask later on. I should really just buy the plain sachets.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hi
    I'm thinking of joining slimming world new class starting in bray
    Just wondering do ye find it better or worse than WW or Unislim thanks

I only ever did WW before & I find SW much better, I'm never hungry with SW so found it much easier to stick to.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I only ever did WW before & I find SW much better, I'm never hungry with SW so found it much easier to stick to.

I agree. I eat much better on SW too, a real balanced diet, whereas on WW I used to save my points to eat rubbish :o

I was down 1.5 lbs this week, so that's 7.5 lbs in a fortnight. I can genuinely say I wasn't hungry at all, and was still able to have my crisps/choccie/wine when I wanted it.

• Advertisement

I agree, I definitely eat more healthily on sw as opposed to ww, I also used to save my points for a bar of chocolate every evening! I just wish the meetings with sw had the same format as the ww ones, I find the sw one long, boring and not very motivating..

Though this time with sw I seem to be finding it more difficult to get stuck into it.. Not sure why!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I find the meetings too long. The leader seems to teach the newbies how the slimming world system works at the beginning of the evening but I think it should be done at the end. Ww was only ever 1 hour long and the leader would have a topic to discuss each week. Slimming world just does a roll call and ask how things went for you that week.

Im only doing it for 2 weeks and am enjoying it and find it easier then ww but I cant see myself sticking with meetings for very long..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

As you get the hang of it you wont have to stay for meetings all the time I am at target and sometimes I stay just to keep myself on track as you can tend to stray a bit when you have reached target. As you get to know more people it's good for the chat and you can learn a lot of new recipes and tips from other people in group

tskk wrote: »
    I find the meetings too long. The leader seems to teach the newbies how the slimming world system works at the beginning of the evening but I think it should be done at the end. Ww was only ever 1 hour long and the leader would have a topic to discuss each week. Slimming world just does a roll call and ask how things went for you that week.

Im only doing it for 2 weeks and am enjoying it and find it easier then ww but I cant see myself sticking with meetings for very long..

A lot of people, like myself, enjoy the meetings. The advice and support goes beyond just what you put in your mouth, they take the people into consideration too. Group members really do support one another. The "roll call" normally ends up in discussions about members issues or how they're doing or what they're struggling with. There's also taster nights and different challenges every now and then. I think maybe give it another while before you form a negative opinion. I have been going nearly a year, and almost always stay for group.

I don't understand people not staying for group. . To be fair it is long and drawn out, but you do get great tips and motivation. But more than that...I dont understand why you'd spend €9 to stand on a scales. ..why not stand on your own scales at home for free?

Our group starts at 7pm. The leader does the new member talk at a separate table from approx. 7 - 7.25. The group properly starts around 7.30. Because of this, regular members tend not to show up until 7.15. I'm wondering, if you're finding that a long time is spent with new members, could you come in a little later?

We're quite a small group, so that obviously makes it quicker to go around everyone, but I enjoy the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Katie7192

Hi All...

I am thinking of joining Slimmimg World tonight. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and lost 2 stone although I have put 1 1/2 stone back on now. I was just wondering how people find Slimming World? Are you restricted in the foods you eat? Like is it a lot of bland foods and not much flavour and sauces?

I would think you'd have to syn the lot. You're only allowed 35g of oats (I think) and I would imagine there's a lot more than that in the pot? Unless you take 35g off the total calorie value of the pot and syn the balance? Ask in group tonight for future reference, but if you're weighing in today, I wouldn't worry about it too much for this week...you're on the brink of a new week after all ;)

Daniboo....are you doing a food diary? Is there anything that's changed recently? Are you exercising more?

Hey, yeah I had been doing more exercise. I did a food diary for the week before last, but was so bold that week so was a wasted exercise. Did another one for last week, so see how I get on. Feel like up again though.

Katie7192 wrote: »
    Hi All...

I am thinking of joining Slimmimg World tonight. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and lost 2 stone although I have put 1 1/2 stone back on now. I was just wondering how people find Slimming World? Are you restricted in the foods you eat? Like is it a lot of bland foods and not much flavour and sauces?

I find SW easy to follow, once I am organised and have planned my shopping for the week.

Restrictions-wise, 1/3 of your meals is made up of fruit/veg, so this results in smaller portions of meat and things like pasta/rice. If you're not a big fan of the veggies, it might be restrictive for you. I don't find it bland though.

There is nothing that you can't have, as long as you work it into the plan. You can have 15 "syns" a day on top of the "free" food you're allowed. What I find is that I prefer to make my own low-syn stuff than waste syns on prepackaged products. I use a lot of spices and make sauces following SW recipes. It does involve more time, it's not as handy as using a jar or whatever, but the food tastes good and you know exactly what is in it. If you decide you want to use a jar of sauce, you can as long as you count it into your daily "syn" allowance.

If you join, I'd advise reading the book you get a couple of times... it takes a while to sink in, especially if you're used to WW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Katie7192

I find SW easy to follow, once I am organised and have planned my shopping for the week.

Restrictions-wise, 1/3 of your meals is made up of fruit/veg, so this results in smaller portions of meat and things like pasta/rice. If you're not a big fan of the veggies, it might be restrictive for you. I don't find it bland though.

There is nothing that you can't have, as long as you work it into the plan. You can have 15 "syns" a day on top of the "free" food you're allowed. What I find is that I prefer to make my own low-syn stuff than waste syns on prepackaged products. I use a lot of spices and make sauces following SW recipes. It does involve more time, it's not as handy as using a jar or whatever, but the food tastes good and you know exactly what is in it. If you decide you want to use a jar of sauce, you can as long as you count it into your daily "syn" allowance.

If you join, I'd advise reading the book you get a couple of times... it takes a while to sink in, especially if you're used to WW

Thanks for the advice! I would've made a lot of my own food from scratch on WW so thats fine for me! I just wasn't sure if you would end up using high amounts of syns to make sauces! I know a few people who do limming world and from what they have said it seems simple to follow once you get into the hang of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement