Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

I agree with hannibal 100%
    a food diary is a must. I have a daily diary since I started 8 months ago.

keeping track of syns also is a key. Pints of beer take so much syns if you drink you will go over.

also plan the day after a night out.

Did you do a food diary? You don't say how you did...did you lose/maintain/put up?

It's important to know how much you went over your syns by. If you already used your max 15 per day then you have none left to flexi syn with at the weekend. So how could you lose weight if you're going over your syn allowance?

The food diary is the key though. Do onethis week and ggive it to your consultant next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Can anyone tell if sugar free jelly is syn free? Thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

m'lady wrote: »
    Can anyone tell if sugar free jelly is syn free? Thanks :-)

No its not free...check the website or the app...I think there's one and a half syns in a sachet...but double check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

If anything, I would have thought that the damage would carry over and be a problem at next week's weigh in (is this a reasonable assumption or not?)

Exactly - you actually have answered your own question.

It takes time for your metabolism to adjust to a new healthy diet. You can't just pick a 7 day period and say 'weightloss starts tomorrow' - for the first while your body is still dealing with whatever you were eating today, yesterday etc. No more so than your few slip ups on Sunday are likely to have impacted on Monday.

(thing is if you continue with the 'few slip ups' you're stabbing yourself in the back but up to you)

Orlaw3136 wrote: »
    Exactly - you actually have answered your own question.

It takes time for your metabolism to adjust to a new healthy diet. You can't just pick a 7 day period and say 'weightloss starts tomorrow' - for the first while your body is still dealing with whatever you were eating today, yesterday etc. No more so than your few slip ups on Sunday are likely to have impacted on Monday.

(thing is if you continue with the 'few slip ups' you're stabbing yourself in the back but up to you)

The first week of a diet usually yields good results though. If you stick to the slimming world plan you can expect to lose between 4 and 8 lbs in the first week. If you stick to the plan. Its the downside of not having to measure your carbs...a very tight syn allowance and it's a gamble you take going over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

In my experience also there is nothing more likely to get you a gain than alcohol. There are so many hidden calories in it & easy to over look just how fatting it is as there is no 'full' feeling when consuming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 juno21n

Hi all :)
    Started slimmingworld this week and loving it !
    I have done WW in past but find this so much better... this forum is a great idea, I've always wanted something like this in the past for a litte bit of extra motivation so would love to join the thread :)
    Hoping to loose close to 20 lbs. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rizzle_g

Well after my 2 weeks of gains I'm down 4.5lbs tonight, delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Hi guys, im a newbie to this thread. Started SW 3 weeks ago along with my 3 housemates and found the first week difficult as it was so much to get my head around and I felt it was costing so much money with the shopping and everything.... especially as a college student. Its so easy to go out and buy a pasta sauce that costs only 65c!! But im finally in the swing of things and have so much food in the freezer it could feed me for a month. I decided to make batches of food when cooking, yeah it make take longer preping but worth it in the end. Ive Jamie olivers spag bol, butternut squash soup, chicken curry, beef stirfry, homemade pasta sauce, lasagne and veg soup. I just mainly buy stuff for b/fast and lunch and maybe one dinner which doesnt cost much. The food tastes sooooo much better made from scratch... and im down 4lbs. The first week I went up .5lbs but I think I wasnt measuring healthy A+B's or syning scones correctly... :rolleyes: one of them with a little jam on one side and butter on the other can be up to 25 syns :O :O anyways im so determined to get my first sticker this week... trying to eat more superfrees :)

I hit my slimming world target this week losing 9 stone. :eek:

try get some super speed fruit in your plan every day, things like grapefuits, I have at least 10 a week. The pink ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Fantastic! Well done and many congratulations on your brilliant loss.

try get some super speed fruit in your plan every day, things like grapefuits, I have at least 10 a week. The pink ones.

thanks, shows the plan works if you stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Massive congratulations!! What an achievement.

Missed my weigh in last week, as I was away, so hoping for a STS this week. I'd lost 13lbs before my holidays, here's hoping I'm still at that weight after them

lost 5 lbs on my first week :):) here's hoping i can keep up the losses !

juno21n wrote: »
    lost 5 lbs on my first week :):) here's hoping i can keep up the losses !

Well done, that's great!

thanks coughdrops :) !
    i know you normally loose the most in the first week, but i hope i can keep up the losses ! its amazing how much better you feel about yourself once you start actively doing something about your weight :D:D:D

Wow! !! Congratulations thats an amazing achievement!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Wow what an AMAZING achievement - Many Congrats!

Do you mind me asking how long it took for you to get to target?

I have lost 6 stone since Jan 2013, and have about another one and a half stone to go to get to my target weight. Would love to be down another stone by Xmass & then the rest in the new year, but have found it has gotten SO slow lately, lucky to get rid of half a pound a week. I have been doing plenty of exercise, and recently joined a gym so hoping that will get me over the finish line!!

Congrats again!!

thanks guys, its actually 9.5 now ...

i started slimming world at the end of january. so its been pretty quick in reality for me, been on plan every weekd since i started.

any questions , i would be happy to answer them

• Advertisement

Mimojo wrote: »
    but have found it has gotten SO slow lately, lucky to get rid of half a pound a week. I have been doing plenty of exercise, and recently joined a gym so hoping that will get me over the finish line!!

Congrats again!!

it will slow dowm i had a number of maintains getting closer to targer, which i never had.

i found as you up the excercise you need more food to fuel it or weight loss can really slow down

thanks guys, its actually 9.5 now ...

i started slimming world at the end of january. so its been pretty quick in reality for me, been on plan every weekd since i started.

any questions , i would be happy to answer them
    it will slow dowm i had a number of maintains getting closer to targer, which i never had.

i found as you up the excercise you need more food to fuel it or weight loss can really slow down

9.5 stone since January is literally AMAZING! I though I was going well with my 6!! Slimming World is great though, once you get into it and stick to the plan it is not bad at all.

I find I am absolutely STARVING all the time now since I upped the exercise, I am in the gym a good few times a week, and find that my appetite has really increased. How did you deal with this? Did you find you increased what you were eating/increased free and superfree?? Do you think I need to eat more to loose the rest of the weight (that would be handy!!) ?

I find I am absolutely STARVING all the time now since I upped the exercise, I am in the gym a good few times a week, and find that my appetite has really increased. How did you deal with this? Did you find you increased what you were eating/increased free and superfree?? Do you think I need to eat more to loose the rest of the weight (that would be handy!!) ?

thanks again, its been quite the journey, i think its a full lifestyle change when you dont look at it like a 'diet'

i have days i am very hungry, but i would be strict with syns, never really going over 10. i try fill up on veg, instead of fruit.

try a week eating more, your body needs more calories, as you can burn up to 1000 in a gym session.

thanks again, its been quite the journey, i think its a full lifestyle change when you dont look at it like a 'diet'

i have days i am very hungry, but i would be strict with syns, never really going over 10. i try fill up on veg, instead of fruit.

try a week eating more, your body needs more calories, as you can burn up to 1000 in a gym session.

Thanks for the advice, Sounds like I need to eat more. Good tip on snacking on veg instead of fruit, I try to be careful not to eat too much fruit as I know its high in natural sugar, but it makes such a handy snack, especially when I am stuck for time.

I am pretty strict on syns, but would generally hit between 10 and 15 per day, and I have to say it does keep me going being allowed a small treat.

Well I guess I will just keep on motoring, really hope to reach the 7 stone mark by Christmas and really wont have too much further to go after that. It is a complete lifestyle change, and I no longer see it as a diet, but the way that I eat now, which is great!!

Congrats again on an astounding achievement!!

Well I guess I will just keep on motoring, really hope to reach the 7 stone mark by Christmas and really wont have too much further to go after that. It is a complete lifestyle change, and I no longer see it as a diet, but the way that I eat now, which is great!!

I started getting paranoid about calories and did a week using myfitness pal to monitor excersise versus food intake, was shocked that i was only have about 400 real calories after gym etc, so i could up it, try it for a week and see how you are doing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Wow congrats!

I have joined SW (again!) for the 3rd time.
    I feel in a better frame of mind this time. My boyfriend is 30 in February and I am planning a party so I really want to look well for it.
    I did well the 1st time I lost 1.5 stone but I have put it all back on.

It really is a life style choice not a diet like has already been mentioned.
    I only lost 3lbs in my first week and I was quite strict so was a bit disheartened but it was star week for me so have to put it down to that.

I have been very good this week but I am sick with bronchitis at the moment and the temptation to sit down and eat chocolate and feel sorry for myself is very high!!!

Weigh in tomorrow but feeling positive, I would be over the moon if I managed to loose 4lbs but I will take what I am given.

How are you all with their recipes? I just made diet coke chicken there its delish!

Oh btw what do the pink grapefruits look and taste like?? Are they bitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

Hello all, first time boards and slimming world user here.

I started slimming world last Monday, I weighed myself this morning and I've lost .5kg. Not amazing for my first week but I wasn't even expecting a loss this week as I was away for the weekend, only back late last night, and as I'm so new to slimming world I was kind of lost over the weekend without access to all the info so I started it "properly" today and feeling very happy.

I made the slimming world chicken korma for dinner tonight and it was gorgeous, definitely going to become a dinner regular :)

I make a lot of my food from scratch (I love my slow cooker) and I eat a lot of veggies but where I fall down is little to no fruit so I made the effort this week when doing the shopping to buy bananas, grapes, apples, raspberries and apricots (not sure if I like apricots but said I'd give them a go).

Going to read back through this thread properly and hopefully pick up some tips from those of you who have been so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Blondie get the slimming world app on your phone it will be your best friend when you are doing your food shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dolly2012

Hey all I'm new, signed up a while ago but only starting to use now, I joined slimming world 3 months ago up and Down all the time, I'm a bit embarrassed to go back to my usual class as I feel it's a bit clannish, and also I'm heavier than when I started so my plan is too go to a new class and start a clean slate! Now my question is the importance of super free our leader never really stressed it friends of mine told me if u don't use ur super free u won't really loose and I think this has been my problem all along,
    Thanks

• Advertisement

dolly2012 wrote: »
    Hey all I'm new, signed up a while ago but only starting to use now, I joined slimming world 3 months ago up and Down all the time, I'm a bit embarrassed to go back to my usual class as I feel it's a bit clannish, and also I'm heavier than when I started so my plan is too go to a new class and start a clean slate! Now my question is the importance of super free our leader never really stressed it friends of mine told me if u don't use ur super free u won't really loose and I think this has been my problem all along,
    Thanks

superfree is the key to slimming world, the portion size of your pastas, rice and potatos will decrease if you have your min 1/3 superfree of the plate, some people have a bowl of veg soup before or after to get it , but i think the main objective is to be fuller on a smaller portion of carbs, meat etc (your free foods).

i swear by grapefruits, they are superfree and superfree....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement