Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Merkin wrote: »
    You do indeed, I had some for lunch today with some Ryvita multigrain, smoked ham and tomato and I was more than satisfied. Hope you enjoy it! :) Try and just cover the veg in stock to get a thickish consistency and then you can just thin it down to preference.

Good thinking. I might try this tomorrow. Have 1 more day before I go back to work! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

:eek:I'm such a dope!!!

I didn't see it the first time either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good thinking. I might try this tomorrow. Have 1 more day before I go back to work! Thanks!

It takes no time and freezes well too so great for just taking out of the freezer in the morning. No problem! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Barefoot123

Was up 3.5lbs last week (thoroughly deserved, was lucky it wasn't more ). Have found it really really tough to get back on track since WI on Thursday. I started SW end of October and have only lost a few pounds since then but not complaining as I haven't fully stuck to it and know that it works (this thread alone has given me fate in it!). I just feel I need a great week in order to kick-start a proper weight loss & then it will be full steam ahead Best of luck to everyone for 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Just wondering if anyone is doing SW online and what are your thoughts on it. Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

pinkstars wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is doing SW online and what are your thoughts on it. Many thanks.

I'm doing it online although I just started it last weekend. There is a plethora of really good content on the site, i.e. tonnes of recipes, features, a journal option etc but from a navigation and user friendly perspective it needs improvement. There is a live chat option though and that's a great resource to have to hand as someone is always on hand to answer questions. I had a question about my FIT log and the lady was so helpful. I also mentioned how the design needed to be reviewed and she said that they are revamping it this year. If you're not in a position to commit to a meeting, which I am not, then I think it's very good. All the information that you need is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are there any hex B wraps?

tk123 wrote: »
    Are there any hex B wraps?

BFree Foods Multigrain Wrap, Wheat & Gluten Free 6 pack (1 x 42g)
    BFree Foods Quinoa & Chia Seed Wraps, Wheat & Gluten Free 6 pack (1 x 42g)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Need to get my arse into gear.

Left a few months back as I didn't like my consultant. Joining a new group tomorrow as a new member. Day one again, eek.

Mr. Tration bought me a trip to Spain in April for Christmas, so I'm hoping to have 20lbs down by then.

Off to the first class back tomorrow. :)

Need to get my arse into gear.

Left a few months back as I didn't like my consultant. Joining a new group tomorrow as a new member. Day one again, eek.

Mr. Tration bought me a trip to Spain in April for Christmas, so I'm hoping to have 20lbs down by then.

Off to the first class back tomorrow. :)

Don't forget your book, refresher course tomorrow!
    I'm hoping to be back to my target (rather than just within target range) Thursday.
    Feeling fine though because I bought a great pair of jeans today - I have never looked good in jeans before :D

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    BFree Foods Multigrain Wrap, Wheat & Gluten Free 6 pack (1 x 42g)
    BFree Foods Quinoa & Chia Seed Wraps, Wheat & Gluten Free 6 pack (1 x 42g)

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Took the plunge and weighed in. 7 pounds up. Line drawn it's history. I missed two weeks so I basically re joined and re set my target. Kept it the same as my previous target. Hopefully I'm down next week. Good luck to everyone especially after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Trying to get back on track from today.. I have been lucky that I lost the week before and after Xmas, don't know how as I wasn't an angel but didn't go crazy I guess! I have been out of routine in regards to meals and exercise so want to improve from today.

I got a fitbit off my other half as part of my Christmas pressie, I love it! Did anyone else get one or already have one?
    Good luck to anyone weighing in or joining this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Took the plunge and weighed in. 7 pounds up. Line drawn it's history. I missed two weeks so I basically re joined and re set my target. Kept it the same as my previous target. Hopefully I'm down next week. Good luck to everyone especially after Christmas

Good luck with the coming week.. I'd suggest that you reread your books and go back to basics, it can really make you refocus! At least you took the plunge and know where you've to go from here rather than putting it off.

I weighed in this day last week and was up 3.5 - fully expected it and still had 1/2 a pound spare from being a target member. I was down .5 on monday which I thought was good since I was still weaning myself off chocolate lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Back after Christmas and up 5 lbs BUT i still weight 20 lbs less than i did this time last year so there's some positive in there.

Fully back on program now and finding it easy so far as its nothing new, just back to normal for our household !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Had my first weigh in since December 23rd and was up 0.5lb. I'm very relieved but I need to be very careful this week because this is my 'light' week and no matter what I eat I always weigh lighter. Back to basics for me and hoping to hit target by the time 2016 is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Wellyd wrote: »
    Had my first weigh in since December 23rd and was up 0.5lb. I'm very relieved but I need to be very careful this week because this is my 'light' week and no matter what I eat I always weigh lighter. Back to basics for me and hoping to hit target by the time 2016 is over.

That's a great result !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jenbee

Hi All,

I have gone to SW classes twice before and signed up. First time, i gained in my first week cus i ate all the carbs i could get my hands on. Second time i lost 3 but i just couldnt stand the meetings. Both times meetings went on over an hour and I will be honest I did not see any benefit in the group aspect of listening to everyones weekly stories for over an hour....

I really want to make this work. I have the books at home I know this plan i just cannot and have not so far been able to implement this in a lasting way... the switch has gone off i am ready. I am day two into doing it alone at home at the moment, hubby is going to start it too, adn there is a girl in work who has lost 4 stone on it so there is advise and support from her but i just cannot shake the feeling that this wont work and I will fail again... i read people loosing x y and z and just feels so out of reach for me

Any advise welcome thank you

jenbee wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have gone to SW classes twice before and signed up. First time, i gained in my first week cus i ate all the carbs i could get my hands on. Second time i lost 3 but i just couldnt stand the meetings. Both times meetings went on over an hour and I will be honest I did not see any benefit in the group aspect of listening to everyones weekly stories for over an hour....

I really want to make this work. I have the books at home I know this plan i just cannot and have not so far been able to implement this in a lasting way... the switch has gone off i am ready. I am day two into doing it alone at home at the moment, hubby is going to start it too, adn there is a girl in work who has lost 4 stone on it so there is advise and support from her but i just cannot shake the feeling that this wont work and I will fail again... i read people loosing x y and z and just feels so out of reach for me

Any advise welcome thank you

Take a deep breath!
    Well done you for taking the first step. It's fantastic that your husband is on board too, it will make things much easier for both of you.
    I find the meetings a bit long too but what I usually do is to turn up about 20 minutes after the start, giving me just enough time to weigh in and catch up with a few people I know etc. As well as that, it's perfectly ok to say to your consultant 'I have a regular appointment at X o'clock so I'll always have to leave a bit early'. For example, a few ladies in my group always leave directly after the raffle, and a couple of others leave as soon as slimmer of the week is announced! There isn't really any onus to stay til the end.
    You say you're afraid you'll fail again. If you do things differently this time, you won't fail, or at the very least won't fail the same way. Make sure you understand the plan, be organised and prepared and excited for it and you won't feel so nervous and will even enjoy the process!
    You mentioned eating loads of carbs - were you eating your one third speed (probably referred to as one third superfree at the time), eating until you were full, not letting yourself go hungry, and using 5-15 syns per day? Within those parameters it's actually very hard to overeat carbs.
    When I joined SW I didn't believe for a second that I would lose the weight. I was waiting for the minute when I would f*&k up and fail, the same as I did any other time I tried to lose weight. But once I gave in to it, stopped calorie counting and stopped being tempted to deprive myself, the weight fell off. Give it another shot - proving yourself wrong is an amazing feeling :)

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Take a deep breath!
    Well done you for taking the first step. It's fantastic that your husband is on board too, it will make things much easier for both of you.
    I find the meetings a bit long too but what I usually do is to turn up about 20 minutes after the start, giving me just enough time to weigh in and catch up with a few people I know etc. As well as that, it's perfectly ok to say to your consultant 'I have a regular appointment at X o'clock so I'll always have to leave a bit early'. For example, a few ladies in my group always leave directly after the raffle, and a couple of others leave as soon as slimmer of the week is announced! There isn't really any onus to stay til the end.
    You say you're afraid you'll fail again. If you do things differently this time, you won't fail, or at the very least won't fail the same way. Make sure you understand the plan, be organised and prepared and excited for it and you won't feel so nervous and will even enjoy the process!
    You mentioned eating loads of carbs - were you eating your one third speed (probably referred to as one third superfree at the time), eating until you were full, not letting yourself go hungry, and using 5-15 syns per day? Within those parameters it's actually very hard to overeat carbs.
    When I joined SW I didn't believe for a second that I would lose the weight. I was waiting for the minute when I would f*&k up and fail, the same as I did any other time I tried to lose weight. But once I gave in to it, stopped calorie counting and stopped being tempted to deprive myself, the weight fell off. Give it another shot - proving yourself wrong is an amazing feeling :)

Thanks a mill for the reply... I suppose i just need to get on with it and get stuck in and get it done! its just so scary. I would love to loose 2.5 stone which is achievable if i just learn to say no to myself and get prepared, start cooking etc. I am a take away and junk food addict!!

Thanks a mill for the reply... I suppose i just need to get on with it and get stuck in and get it done! its just so scary. I would love to loose 2.5 stone which is achievable if i just learn to say no to myself and get prepared, start cooking etc. I am a take away and junk food addict!!

I was a junk food addict too, and a veg hater, and I didn't get the point of fruit ( :D ) but I managed to turn it around!
    The great thing about Slimming World is that you can use it to learn moderation. You can still have a bit of junk food, and you can still have a takeaway once a week or even more often if you like, you can have your few drinks, you just have to build it into your syns. I still have chocolate every day, the difference being that now I don't want or need to eat a whole family sized bar... and if I did, I'd feel like sh1te so I wouldn't want to repeat the performance any time soon!
    I'm like a broken record about this tip but I'll say it again because I know there's lots of new members and people considering joining browsing the thread: take photos of yourself at the very beginning, and take measurements all over your body and write them down or store them in the notepad of your phone. These will be great to refer to in time to come, especially on weeks when the result according to the scales is less than stellar. Something I didn't do and wish I had was to keep a pair of jeans that I was fitting in when I started - it would be great craic to do one of the classic 'standing in one leg of my old jeans' photos :D but also sometimes it's hard to understand how far you've come, so it's good to have something tangible to give you that reminder.
    Wishing you the best of luck, you'll get there! x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, my husband just joined last night, he doesn’t have a huge amount to lose, maybe 20-25 lbs, but he has a pretty unhealthy attitude to food which I’m hoping SW will fix. I think a diet where he doesn’t have to weigh food or go hungry will suit him down to the ground. I’m just wondering though, I have a bit of Christmas weight on, have maybe half a stone to lose, I plan to follow SW to support him, but can I expect to lose weight myself or is SW more for people that have a lot of weight to lose?

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, my husband just joined last night, he doesn’t have a huge amount to lose, maybe 20-25 lbs, but he has a pretty unhealthy attitude to food which I’m hoping SW will fix. I think a diet where he doesn’t have to weigh food or go hungry will suit him down to the ground. I’m just wondering though, I have a bit of Christmas weight on, have maybe half a stone to lose, I plan to follow SW to support him, but can I expect to lose weight myself or is SW more for people that have a lot of weight to lose?

I'd say you probably will loose if you're following the plan although it might be slow to come off. When I started I had 18.5ls to loose and it took around 10 months. I stalled a few times but just stuck with it and got to target :D

Why is it harder to loose weight when you have less to loose? I can never get my head around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd say you probably will loose if you're following the plan although it might be slow to come off. When I started I had 18.5ls to loose and it took around 10 months. I stalled a few times but just stuck with it and got to target :D

Thanks TK, I hope he sees results quickly, I worry he wouldn't stick at it if the weight was very slow to move
    Why is it harder to loose weight when you have less to loose? I can never get my head around that?

Not sure why that is, I suppose one reason could be that if you're very heavy, your former eating habits are probably quite bad so the daily calorie drop will be more significant at first? That could be why it's harder to lose those last few lbs sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You lose a percentage of your body fat, so if you weight less, you lose less. Also as you get thinner you get to the lower levels of fat which are much more solid, and much more permanent so it's a lot harder to lose that. It takes longer which means you are losing less than you hoped, because you are used to losing the outer layers which are easier to budge

Quazzie wrote: »
    You lose a percentage of your body fat, so if you weight less, you lose less. Also as you get thinner you get to the lower levels of fat which are much more solid, and much more permanent so it's a lot harder to lose that. It takes longer which means you are losing less than you hoped, because you are used to losing the outer layers which are easier to budge

That makes sense so! I am currently at 12stone 9 so i feel like this is going to take ages and can often use that as an excuse to not be strict ' ah sure its only 2 stone'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ncmc wrote: »

firstly SW is ideal for men who like eating meat with some carbs. I regularly eat burgers, curry, pasta etc. They just home made and with lean meat instead of the fat, processed types

secondly, SW isn't really a diet so if you're following the plan you'll be eating mostly freshly prepared food with plenty of fruit and veg with little/no processed foods

So even if you don't lose weight. you'll be eating very healthily so it should stand to you in the long run

Best of luck to the pair of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Down 2.5lbs so 20lbs in 8 weeks :D thrilled!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement