Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ha, I have no idea why multiquote worked that time! Losing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thanks for that Dee, I'm looking to switch to the Nemo group myself.

Anyone thinking of joining, buy Woman magazine on sale today (Kate Middleton on cover) for reduced price membership. Also in Bella magazine some time in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of joining SW. I'm at home from college until Jan 18th so was hoping to join here and then transfer up to a local group in Dublin.

Just wondering if i buy 12 weeks membership, would I be able to transfer these over?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of joining SW. I'm at home from college until Jan 18th so was hoping to join here and then transfer up to a local group in Dublin.

Just wondering if i buy 12 weeks membership, would I be able to transfer these over?

I can't see why not - I've been a visiting member to other groups while on a countdown with no problem.
    It might be worth leaving the countdown until week 2 in order to use the money off voucher from Woman magazine in week 1 (I have it in the back of my head that you can't do both in the one week but could be wrong there!)
    Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

k, i know this is a stupid question but im gonna go with it anyway!

is slimming world essentially eating less than your RDA of calories? A woman is 2,000 i think yes? so basically, if you eat less calories and don't exercise, you lose weight?
    I'm really considering joining a SW group. i put on over half a stone over Xmas but i need to lose about 3-4 stone in total. my friend did SW, lost over 2 stone in a few months, and I couldn't believe it coz I was asking her constantly, "Are you exercising? are you walking" and she wasn't.

i just can't fathom how one loses weight, but im really enjoying reading everyones stories!!! it definitely motivates me.
    actually, i was really proud of myself yesterday. there were some xmas sweets ina bowl here, and i just decided enough was enough, and threw them into the bin. same for half a box of biscuits and a cheesecake that was in the fridge. i think it's time to get serious. i'm beginning to really not like the look of myself.

please keep posting your inspiring stories!!! :) and thank you!

gercoral wrote: »
    k, i know this is a stupid question but im gonna go with it anyway!

is slimming world essentially eating less than your RDA of calories? A woman is 2,000 i think yes? so basically, if you eat less calories and don't exercise, you lose weight?
    I'm really considering joining a SW group. i put on over half a stone over Xmas but i need to lose about 3-4 stone in total. my friend did SW, lost over 2 stone in a few months, and I couldn't believe it coz I was asking her constantly, "Are you exercising? are you walking" and she wasn't.

i just can't fathom how one loses weight, but im really enjoying reading everyones stories!!! it definitely motivates me.
    actually, i was really proud of myself yesterday. there were some xmas sweets ina bowl here, and i just decided enough was enough, and threw them into the bin. same for half a box of biscuits and a cheesecake that was in the fridge. i think it's time to get serious. i'm beginning to really not like the look of myself.

please keep posting your inspiring stories!!! :) and thank you!

Hi and welcome!
    It's not as simple as just low calories, it's all about getting the proportions right and filling up on less energy dense foods. I don't know how many calories I eat per day but I calorie counted when I first started SW, I think I kept under 1200 calories per day and I just wasn't losing weight. As soon as I started doing SW 'by the book' (decent portions of the right foods in the right proportions) and stopped counting flippin calories the weight started falling off me and over 5 stone later, I reached target just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi and welcome!
    It's not as simple as just low calories, it's all about getting the proportions right and filling up on less energy dense foods. I don't know how many calories I eat per day but I calorie counted when I first started SW, I think I kept under 1200 calories per day and I just wasn't losing weight. As soon as I started doing SW 'by the book' (decent portions of the right foods in the right proportions) and stopped counting flippin calories the weight started falling off me and over 5 stone later, I reached target just before Christmas.

:O wow congrats!!!!!!! ok, thanks for your tips :)

I can't see why not - I've been a visiting member to other groups while on a countdown with no problem.
    It might be worth leaving the countdown until week 2 in order to use the money off voucher from Woman magazine in week 1 (I have it in the back of my head that you can't do both in the one week but could be wrong there!)
    Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

Great :)

how much is it with the money off?

Great :)

how much is it with the money off?

Think it saves you the €9 joining fee, so you just pay the normal weekly fee of €9.

• Advertisement

Think it saves you the €9 joining fee, so you just pay the normal weekly fee of €9.

ah very good! Thanks and well done on reaching your target weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Had myself psyched up to go get weighed this morning! And then this happened........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Are portion sizes recommended? A friend did slimming world and said you can eat as much until you're full or something. I have a large container to fill and rarely feel full!!!!!!!! That's the problem!!! I follow a few blogs who follow slimming world and the meals they post up always look filling and amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Are portion sizes recommended? A friend did slimming world and said you can eat as much until you're full or something. I have a large container to fill and rarely feel full!!!!!!!! That's the problem!!! I follow a few blogs who follow slimming world and the meals they post up always look filling and amazing.
    No. They preach 'free food' so as long as it's 'free' and 1/3rd is 'speed' (ie most fruit or veg) then you can eat however much you want

You'll find it self regulates itself though. My portions are much smaller now then when I started

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Wellyd wrote: »
    Had myself psyched up to go get weighed this morning! And then this happened........

That's shocking. Where is that?

Bit the bullet and had my weigh in today. Up 1.5lb which I'm happy with. Had two pretty good meal successes this week from the magazine. I made the chicken pot pies and the sausage and leek pies, both were gorgeous. My OH even commented on how nice it was and wondered if it was a cheat meal both times. Highly recommended.

leelee77 wrote: »
    That's shocking. Where is that?

That's the 'new' bridge in Enniscorthy! I couldn't get across the river to get weighed! Hopefully I can find another group tomorrow so I can actually draw a line under all this crazy eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Dodge wrote: »
    No. They preach 'free food' so as long as it's 'free' and 1/3rd is 'speed' (ie most fruit or veg) then you can eat however much you want

You'll find it self regulates itself though. My portions are much smaller now then when I started

Oh that makes sense. She must have left that part out! Thank you for explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Down 2.5lbs :D

Up 2.5 pounds! I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it puts me only 1 pound over target, and I am ovulating, which has often resulted in a small gain for me. And it was Christmas. And I'm still within my target weight threshold thingy. But on the other hand, I was actually really good, so I'm a bit pissed off to be honest!
    Bright side, my mum lost 3 pounds and got her half stone award so it's not all bad!

• Advertisement

Well done to all for weighing in!

I know I've been asking lots of questions lately but I have another. Do we have any online only members here? I am thinking about doing 12 weeks online. My work and college commitments for the next twelve weeks mean I won't make any weekday meetings and the only Saturday class in my area is on at the only time I won't make. I am 13lb off target, so I know the SW ropes quite well. I'm half thinking of just quitting for 12 weeks and following the plan myself. Dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I weighed in tonight, lost 1lb and am 2 lbs under target!!

Chuffed with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'm also interested to hear what people think about signing up online.

I know the basics of the plan and understand the concepts of syns and healthy extras but not sure if I'll stick to it online.

Very nervous about joining a class as I'm quite shy and don't really like the idea of discussing my week in a group setting with other members etc and the thought of signing up day 1 fills me with dread as Im quite heavy at the moment.

Can you or do people just weigh and leave?

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

dashdoll wrote:
    Very nervous about joining a class as I'm quite shy and don't really like the idea of discussing my week in a group setting with other members etc and the thought of signing up day 1 fills me with dread as Im quite heavy at the moment.

I joined on the 8th of Jan 2015 weighing 20st 2.5lb, was by far the biggest person there, I've always been shy too and took me ages to pluck up the courage. The first few weeks I really just sat back and listened to other members then as I felt more comfortable I was able to share more. 1 year on I'm almost 4 stone down and have learned so much from staying to group and just having the support of other members, I wouldn't have lost this weight if it wasn't for group. The best thing I learned is that at over 20 st I may have been the biggest on the day but a lot of the members started off just as big and for me to look at other people and see how far they had come I knew I could get to that point too

dashdoll wrote: »
    I'm also interested to hear what people think about signing up online.

I know the basics of the plan and understand the concepts of syns and healthy extras but not sure if I'll stick to it online.

Can you or do people just weigh and leave?

Any advice appreciated!

Hi dashdoll!
    People do weigh and go, but a word of caution: if you weigh and go you're actually much less likely to stick with the plan and succeed. As above, you're quite welcome to just take in what others have to say without contributing yourself if you wish - a few people in my group have done this on agreement with our consultant, although they tend to speak up once a few weeks have gone by! It's been lovely to see them gradually beginning to contribute to the group.
    I can understand your nerves about day one. I would never have walked through those doors except that a friend was joining and nervous so I said I'd go along to support her... actually, now I think about it, she gave up very early on because she couldn't find the time to stay to group and stick to plan - I think she just wasn't ready.
    My advice would be to ring the consultant in advance and have a chat, turn up a bit early for the new members talk and say straight out that you're a bit apprehensive, and take it from there. You will not regret taking that first step, I promise!
    I'd say join a group, and if you're not feeling it try another group, and if that isn't for you either, try online. It's worth giving it at least a month to see how you settle in to the plan.
    Re being quite heavy at the moment, remember that everyone is there for the same reason and everyone is nervous at first so believe me, nobody is looking at you or judging your weight! You're in good company with people who have weight to lose and who, more importantly, are determined to do something about it.
    Sending you happy thoughts :)
    Oh yeah and take measurements all over your body, don't throw out all of your old clothes (for example, hold onto your least favourite pair of jeans!) and take some 'before' pics, amazing motivation as you go along and something tangible to help you see exactly how far you've come when you near and reach your target! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was 4lb up after 2 weeks and about 7lb up overall in the month of December(!) It sounds funny but I'm okay with that, I made the decision to enjoy my Christmas but enough is enough now! I have a photoshoot in mid-January and I'd love to be less bloated so back on it from Friday (have a New Year's Eve party tomorrow night)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

7.5lb I put on today, best thing that could have happened to me, I have my meals for the week all planned out and I will be sticking to it, there is no way I will have more weight on again next week

dashdoll wrote: »

This was me the first night I went. I actually nearly cried when I got there but my first consultant read me straight away and knew exactly what I needed from slimming world. I owe my whole life to her. She helped give me the confidence I needed. I'm not near my target weight yet but I will get there. I think you just have to really want to do it. And I really want to do it for myself. She didn't let me be a wall flower she involved me in the group and I swear I'm a different person since. The things I've done this year I never would have done in a million years before slimming world. Please take the plunge and go. People will really make an effort to help involve you and the support from the groups really are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Hi guys wondering if anybody can give me some advice. I'm interested in joining slimming world as I need to loose weight and I've seen the amazing results people are achieving with the aid of slimming world. My problem is I work shift work running over 7 days a week ranging from days tonights. If I join a group I might not be able to make the group in my town on a weekly basis can I go to another group in the neighbouring town or am I better off joining the online group???
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

medic780 wrote: »
    Hi guys wondering if anybody can give me some advice. I'm interested in joining slimming world as I need to loose weight and I've seen the amazing results people are achieving with the aid of slimming world. My problem is I work shift work running over 7 days a week ranging from days tonights. If I join a group I might not be able to make the group in my town on a weekly basis can I go to another group in the neighbouring town or am I better off joining the online group???
    Thanks in advance

You can go to any group in the country. Your joining / home group will be your base so holidays and targets etc will be processed and set there but on any given week you could go anywhere else that suits you and even on a different day if required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement