Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm around the same weight and I set a target of 10 too. Maybe when I get there I'll decide to reset it but I'm not moving the goalposts just yet! I'd say aim for the 10 and once you're there or nearly there see how you feel about changing (can be done at any time as far as I'm aware)
    Congrats on your weight loss so far by the way, great feeling isn't it!

Thank you. I think I will aim for 10 stone and then see how I feel when I get there! It is great. so far with a mix of my own dieting pre SW and after SW, I have lost 2 stone 5 pounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Website woes.

Having climbed back on the wagon this week (Ihad put back all I had lost!) I am being virtuous in keeping a food diary on line. My question is how do favourites work? For instance, I have only two options for breakfast that I eat, Weetabix or porridge. I have saved them in my favourites, but that seems to have no effect, I still have to scroll to them each time.

What is the handiest way of keeping a diary, I have a smartphone and can access the "full" website and the mobile site as well as the app.
    Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I joined last week and I'm going for my 2nd weigh in this week. So really it's my first week where I'll have a loss(fingers crossed!) But I'm absolutely terrified to go I'm so afraid that I'm not going to lose anything. I think that I've had a good week but I'm so scared that I'm not going to lose. Also my class isn't until 7.30 this evening. I really don't want to have dinner before I go in case it throws me off. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

hbonbr wrote: »
    Website woes.

Having climbed back on the wagon this week (Ihad put back all I had lost!) I am being virtuous in keeping a food diary on line. My question is how do favourites work? For instance, I have only two options for breakfast that I eat, Weetabix or porridge. I have saved them in my favourites, but that seems to have no effect, I still have to scroll to them each time.

What is the handiest way of keeping a diary, I have a smartphone and can access the "full" website and the mobile site as well as the app.
    Any help appreciated!

I find the SW website veeery clunky, for example every time I navigate to a different section of the page I get the sign-in/sign-up page. So I don't really bother with it on a daily basis, just once or twice a week to check out new articles and recipes.
    I find notepad (smartphone app) great for diaries and that kind of thing, no bells and whistles, just an accessible 'list of lists'.
    I know I've mentioned it on this thread before but since I finished with paper diaries I've been using myfitnesspal.com and noting number of syns in the 'today's food notes' section, which I find really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wellyd wrote: »
    I joined last week and I'm going for my 2nd weigh in this week. So really it's my first week where I'll have a loss(fingers crossed!) But I'm absolutely terrified to go I'm so afraid that I'm not going to lose anything. I think that I've had a good week but I'm so scared that I'm not going to lose. Also my class isn't until 7.30 this evening. I really don't want to have dinner before I go in case it throws me off. Any advice?

Try not to worry if you don't lose anything your first week, as sometimes it can take a few weeks to get your head around the plan and make sure you are doing it right.
    I would just eat normally, as then each week you will be doing the same thing every week before weigh in.
    I sometimes maybe cut back on my water in take that day in case I retain a lot.
    Fingers crossed for you and hope you do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Any help appreciated!

I find the easiest (by far) is the mobile version of the website. Just go to slimmingworld.com and log in

Click the menu (top left) and diary. Whenever you add syns/free foods click add to favourites if its a regular thing.

You should see them all in the favourites tab then (the 4 tabs are Free Foods, Healthy Extras, Syns and Favourites). You faves are sorted by free, healthy extras and syns. Click the green + to add to diary again or red X to remove it from your favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Has anyone got any ideas for eating dinner on the go? Two days a week I leave the house at 6:30am and don't get back until 10pm. I find I have plenty of things I can bring with me for breakfast and lunch but am really struggling with dinner. I don't have access to a microwave or kettle when I'm out which really complicates things. If I have to face another tub of precooked couscous, chicken and cold veg I'll be running for the nearest chippy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Has anyone got any ideas for eating dinner on the go? Two days a week I leave the house at 6:30am and don't get back until 10pm. I find I have plenty of things I can bring with me for breakfast and lunch but am really struggling with dinner. I don't have access to a microwave or kettle when I'm out which really complicates things. If I have to face another tub of precooked couscous, chicken and cold veg I'll be running for the nearest chippy!

I like risotto and carbonara cold. Could you bring a flask of speed soup? Stir fry with noodles, pasta salad. I made the sweet and sour chicken last week, its fab, it would be lovely in a wrap, or the diet coke chicken would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

First weigh in done and I've lost 4.5lbs! It's weird to say I think I'm delighted. I really didn't know what I expect but I'm happy. I'm on the road to healthy me!

First weigh in done and I've lost 4.5lbs! It's weird to say I think I'm delighted. I really didn't know what I expect but I'm happy. I'm on the road to healthy me!

Woohoo, well done! Great start!

• Advertisement

There you go!! Well done. Onwards and downwards ☺

dee_mc wrote: »
    I find the SW website veeery clunky, for example every time I navigate to a different section of the page I get the sign-in/sign-up page. So I don't really bother with it on a daily basis, just once or twice a week to check out new articles and recipes.
    I find notepad (smartphone app) great for diaries and that kind of thing, no bells and whistles, just an accessible 'list of lists'.
    I know I've mentioned it on this thread before but since I finished with paper diaries I've been using myfitnesspal.com and noting number of syns in the 'today's food notes' section, which I find really handy.
    That's a great idea!
    It had occurred to me that keeping a food diary on SW is a bit of a nonsense, as the only relevant information is the number of syns (unless you really need to know did you eat (an unspecified number of) apples on Thursday week)
    I would be happier knowing my calorie intake, eg, eating a bunch of bananas every day can't be good!
    So, MFP gives you useful info, and you can keep the syns too! Magic!
    Thanks a bunch! (oops!)

Are there any guidelines for syn free salad dressings?
    I could not find much on the SW website, they advize using fat free vinaigrette. The only one I know which is commonly available is Hellmans, but it seems to be a right chemical stew. Any ideas for simple, healthy alternatives?

I could not find much on the SW website, they advize using fat free vinaigrette. The only one I know which is commonly available is Hellmans, but it seems to be a right chemical stew. Any ideas for simple, healthy alternatives?

I just use balsamic vinegar, yummy! Maybe you could try using fat free natural yogurt and mustard powder with some white wine vinegar for something a bit creamy? I haven't tried it (I don't like creamy stuff!) but I remember someone I once worked with used to make a dressing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I use a good dash of Cider Vineger (free) and a small dash of Tesco Healthy Living Honey and Mustard dressing (1 syn per tablespoon). Add a pinch of chili flakes for an extra kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

As far as I know the Kraft light are free and there's a good few available I like the ceaser one

ArtyC wrote: »
    As far as I know the Kraft light are free and there's a good few available I like the ceaser one

Not free. 1/2 syn per tbsp

Worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm down another pound this week but I've not been great in terms of my food. So I've decided to track everything I'm eating over the week and have a really good week to give me a boost

I've been very slow with my weightloss - I've lost a total of 5lb in 4 weeks.

In pros though, I have never been hungry. I've never gone to bed hungry, like I did on other, unnamed plans

I also need to drink more water. My skin is terrible at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Reading the book it says 100g of spaghetti in tomato sauce is free. I just used the syn calculator and it says it's 3 syns???

Was only down half a pound today, disappointed but I wasn't very good the weekend. It was my eldest sons birthday but I didn't eat any sweets or rubbish, but didn't eat properly. Also oh and myself ate a lot of sushi and had a good few glasses of wine, think that was my undoing. Ah well here I go again.......... :(

Quick question for any of the experienced SW peeps here. Over the last few weeks ive put up weight, not huge amounts, 1lb here, then a half lb. Now thing is my head is completely wrecked as ive been so good, sticking with the plan, counting syns etc.
    Maybe one of the days i might go over my syns but not hugely enough to put on that much in a week.

Im giving myself a break from weigh in's for 2 weeks as i got so upset last week that i just need a little head space from class. But ive been really good and sticking to it, doing an SAS log too so i know i have been very good.
    But i still dont feel like im down and im only down a lb or so on my own scales.

Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

Down 1.5 pounds this week, a bit surprised it wasn't more because my clothes are suddenly falling off me (seriously, in public, it's awful!). So one more pound to go and I'll have lost a stone. I'm going to try to eat more starchy stuff like pasta and noodles this week because the most successful, consistent slimmers in my group seem to be mainlining carbs... so yeah, throwing logic (carb limiting logic, obvs) out the window and we'll see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

andreac wrote: »
    Quick question for any of the experienced SW peeps here. Over the last few weeks ive put up weight, not huge amounts, 1lb here, then a half lb. Now thing is my head is completely wrecked as ive been so good, sticking with the plan, counting syns etc.
    Maybe one of the days i might go over my syns but not hugely enough to put on that much in a week.

Im giving myself a break from weigh in's for 2 weeks as i got so upset last week that i just need a little head space from class. But ive been really good and sticking to it, doing an SAS log too so i know i have been very good.
    But i still dont feel like im down and im only down a lb or so on my own scales.

Anyone any ideas?
    I'm not exactly experienced as I'm struggling myself for the last while. But, have you taken up exercise recently or anything? Could there be any hiddens syns in what you're eating? For example, the steak mince I was buying and sliced ham from aldi and other meats were not free and I've been eating them an awful lot!!:(
    Sorry I'm not much help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Could someone tell me what's involved in joining Slimming World, can I just turn up to a class and join on the spot or do I need to book a place in advance? Also how much does it cost, and will I need to buy anything extra like books? Many thanks!
    Think I need the motivation of a weekly weigh in to keep me on the straight and narrow, my diet is about 80% bourbon cream biscuits lately and I can't seem to snap out of it!

Could someone tell me what's involved in joining Slimming World, can I just turn up to a class and join on the spot or do I need to book a place in advance? Also how much does it cost, and will I need to buy anything extra like books? Many thanks!

Turn up on the day. Costs €9 to join and it's €9 a week (so first week is €18). There's loads of books, magazines and other stuff on sale but you don't have to buy. I'm new at it but our consultant hasn't tried to hard sell anything which I liked.

I asked someone who's been there a while about the books and she suggested taking a pic of the contents page and looking online (the SW website) to find the recipes. It worked that way

I've enjoyed it since joining (about a month ago) and found it's really helped me

Gee_G wrote: »
    I'm not exactly experienced as I'm struggling myself for the last while. But, have you taken up exercise recently or anything? Could there be any hiddens syns in what you're eating? For example, the steak mince I was buying and sliced ham from aldi and other meats were not free and I've been eating them an awful lot!!:(
    Sorry I'm not much help!!

Well im doing a bit of exercise but not loads. Prob run a few km's couple of times a week and walk the dogs everyday but surely that should be aiding my weight loss? Ive been extra good the last few weeks so just cant figure it out and its getting me down as I feel, why bother putting in all the hard work and get nothing back for it?

I do feel healthier and fit etc but when you are trying to lose weight you do want to see it on the scales.

andreac wrote: »

I do feel healthier and fit etc but when you are trying to lose weight you do want to see it on the scales.

You could be building muscles. Try measuring yourself. If you're losing inches, then your weight shouldn't* really matter.

*I know its easy for me to say this online but if you're getting healthier and fitter, then you'll be better in the long run

Dodge wrote: »
    You could be building muscles. Try measuring yourself. If you're losing inches, then your weight shouldn't* really matter.

*I know its easy for me to say this online but if you're getting healthier and fitter, then you'll be better in the long run

The thing is I have at least another stone to lose and I understand that ill tone up as well, but I need to lose that weight along with toning up but feel ive hit a brick wall at the moment weight loss wise.

But yes I feel much healthier and eating better and doing lots of exercise but just the weight loss that's getting to me or the lack of it. Im not doing enough exercise to build up that much muscle, well not yet anyway lol.

Could someone tell me what's involved in joining Slimming World, can I just turn up to a class and join on the spot or do I need to book a place in advance? Also how much does it cost, and will I need to buy anything extra like books? Many thanks! Think I need the motivation of a weekly weigh in to keep me on the straight and narrow, my diet is about 80% bourbon cream biscuits lately and I can't seem to snap out of it!

Hi! At my group, you just turn up and listen to an introductory talk with any other new members, then you join the rest of the group and get a feel for how the class goes, then you pay (€18, every other week it will be €9) and get weighed and set a target weight.

You don't have to set a 'final' target weight, it can be changed any time, so don't worry about it!

You don't have to buy any books etc - you'll have access to the SW website which has good recipes, and there's millions of SW friendly recipes available elsewhere online too. Having said that, the books are gorgeous and you might decide to treat yourself - they're very well priced too, I saw a lovely Christmas one yesterday and it's only €7.95!

I think the motivation of the weekly weigh in is great. You will do really well, congrats on taking the first step :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Great night for me!

I lost 3 pounds this week and that makes it 10.5 pounds in total and it is only my 3rd week. In total including weight lost pre SW and post SW, I have lost 2 stone 8 pounds and I won the slimmer of the week!

Delighted with myself I am so happy I joined Slimming World now! I am actually going shopping for new jeans tomorrow (I was a size 26 when I started to diet, looking for size 22 now! :D)

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    Great night for me!

I lost 3 pounds this week and that makes it 10.5 pounds in total and it is only my 3rd week. In total including weight lost pre SW and post SW, I have lost 2 stone 8 pounds and I won the slimmer of the week!

Delighted with myself I am so happy I joined Slimming World now! I am actually going shopping for new jeans tomorrow (I was a size 26 when I started to diet, looking for size 22 now! :D)

Good on you! Might I pass on a piece of advice given to me on this thread a few weeks ago? Don't spend real money on new clothes: consider cheap leggings etc and maybe just the one pair of jeans, because by the sound of things you'll be down to a 20 or 18 in no time at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement