Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me what syn free is? Iv come across a receipe for pancakes that is completely syn free so does that mean I can eat it unlimited or would there be restrictions? Thanks :)

If it is the eggs with sweetner one don't get too excited.

It tastes like sweet egg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

These pancakes are lovely and free if you use the porridge in them as your Healthy B option.

http://mydietjourney.co.uk/recipes/slimming-world-recipes/slimming-world-syn-free-magic-pancakes/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Ya I'm following slimming world but I haven't got to a meeting yet so everything I'm learning is from blogs n YouTube so far. I do need to go to one meeting to get the ins and outs of it but I'm going to Manchester next week and I will be bold so il go the week after that! So syn free is basically a less than 0.5 syn so it's just called synfree but to eat in moderation? Is that right? Iv just put the mixture in the fridge with the porridge for pancakes tomorrow can't wait! 😆 can anyone give me advice on how I done yesterday with my menu:

Breakfast:: 2 weetabix with skimmed milk and a sprinkle of sweetner
    Snacks till dinner: banana 0% vitilla strawberry yougurt Orange
    Dinner:: one breaded cod piece with pasta and dominos red pasta sauce with onions and mushrooms.
    Also half pack of snaxs that I didn't give my nine month old a chance to eat!
    Coffee and tea with sweetener throughout the day, 1lt of water

Thanks x

Ya I'm following slimming world but I haven't got to a meeting yet so everything I'm learning is from blogs n YouTube so far. I do need to go to one meeting to get the ins and outs of it but I'm going to Manchester next week and I will be bold so il go the week after that! So syn free is basically a less than 0.5 syn so it's just called synfree but to eat in moderation? Is that right? Iv just put the mixture in the fridge with the porridge for pancakes tomorrow can't wait! 😆 can anyone give me advice on how I done yesterday with my menu:

Breakfast:: 2 weetabix with skimmed milk and a sprinkle of sweetner
    Snacks till dinner: banana 0% vitilla strawberry yougurt Orange
    Dinner:: one breaded cod piece with pasta and dominos red pasta sauce with onions and mushrooms.
    Also half pack of snaxs that I didn't give my nine month old a chance to eat!
    Coffee and tea with sweetener throughout the day, 1lt of water

Thanks x

Ok, for a start ill say, you need to go to a group to get to grips with the plan as you don't seem to really understand it fully yet. It can take a while to get your head around it.

With every meal you should be having 1/3 super free foods, eg Fruit and or veg so be mindful of that and try to include it with every meal.

Be careful with the yoghurts as not all yoghurts are free, incl the Muller Lights, some have syn values.

With your dinner, the breaded cod wouldn't be free either and you should avoid using jars of sauces as they are full of sugar (so loads of syns). Try make everything from scratch if you can, tinned tomatoes etc.

Make sure you measure out your milk allowance too for the day along with your healthy b option, ie cereal, bread.

If you have any other queries just shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

andreac wrote: »
    Here is the Half Syn cake recipe as promised. Ive tasted this and its amazing!! Still haven't made it myself yet so really must try it soon.

FRUIT ROULADE - 0.5 SYN FOR THE WHOLE CAKE

1 TUB QUARK

4 EGGS

1 TSP BAKING POWDER

4 TBSP SWEETNER (I ADDED LOT MORE LOL)

VANILLA ESSENCE (OR ANY)

FRESH FRUIT

SEPERATE THE EGGS

ADD THE YOLK, HALF THE QUARK,

BAKING POWDER, SWEETNER AND ESSENCE INTO A BOWL, WHISK TOGETHER AND SET ASIDE.

WHISK EGG WHITE TILL STIFF. WHISK HALF INTO THE MIXTURE THEN FOLD IN OTHER HALF.

USING A SWISS ROLL TIN SPRAY WITH FRY LIGHT ( I PUT GREASPROOF PAPER IN FIRST THEN SPRAY SO DOESN'T STICK) POUR THE MIXTURE IN AND BAKE AT

180 FOR 15 - 20 MINUTES. LEAVE TO COOL

IN A DISH ADD REMAINING QUARK ,SWEETNER, AND ESSENCE AND MIX TOGETHER.

REMOVE THE CAKE FROM TIN WHEN COOL SPREAD THE QUARK EVENLY, i ALSO PUT SYN FREE lEMON CURD ON TOP OF QUARK. ADD FINELY CHOPPED FRUIT (STRAWBERRY AND BANANA MY FAVE). ROLL THE CAKE FROM ONE END. SLICE TO SERVE.

THE WHOLE CAKE IS ONLY HALF A SYN AND THATS THE BAKING POWDER. CAN ALSO ADD CHOC OPTIONS SACHET FOR FLAVOURING. WHEN THE CAKE COMES OUT OF THE OVEN IT WILL HAVE RISEN LOADS BUT WILL GO VERY FLAT WHEN COOL, BUT IT WAS LOVELY.

Top tip though - make sure you use greaseproof paper on top of swiss roll tin or it

Just made this and it was yum and so simple to make! I'd definitely use a bit more sweetener but it really was delicious!

• Advertisement

Wellyd wrote: »
    Just made this and it was yum and so simple to make! I'd definitely use a bit more sweetener but it really was delicious!

Oh did you? Cool, must try make it this weekend. One thing, do you need a proper whisk to whisk the eggs or would a hand held one do?

Its just i have a cordless one but its crap and doesnt seem to charge properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm absolutely loving my group. I had such an awful week because I was away, sleeping on friends couches but the idea of going to my group and knowing that I would laugh and enjoy it was enough to make me go along. They're just a very funny, wonderful bunch of people who made me feel welcome the minute I stepped through the door.

So long story short, I'm very much enjoying doing SW at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

So syn free is basically a less than 0.5 syn so it's just called synfree but to eat in moderation? Is that right?

Syn free has no syns in it. 0.5 syns are not syn free as they have half a syn and still need to be counted. You have 5-15 syns per day. If a food is not on the superfree list, free list, healthy A or B then you syn it, and keep track of your total throughout the day. The slimming world website has tools to help you work out syn values, but as a general rule, 20 kcal is 1 syn

Ok I understand the syns now. I made those pancakes with the porridge. They are absolutely gorgeous!

Ok I understand the syns now. I made those pancakes with the porridge. They are absolutely gorgeous!

I've been wanting to try those for ages but I keep forgetting to buy porridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So 2.5 pounds off this week, making it 8.5 pounds in 3 weeks... aaaaand my jeans are falling down! Had to buy a belt the other day while out shopping to avoid being done for indecent exposure :P Looking forward to buying some things in a new size in the next few weeks, yay!
    Going to try a recipe for 1 syn chocolate brownies tonight (recipe given out at group today), if they're a success I will post the recipe here later :)

Up a half this week. Bit disappointed as I was really good apart from a few drinks and nibbles on sat night at my friends birthday.

dee_mc wrote: »
    So 2.5 pounds off this week, making it 8.5 pounds in 3 weeks... aaaaand my jeans are falling down! Had to buy a belt the other day while out shopping to avoid being done for indecent exposure :P Looking forward to buying some things in a new size in the next few weeks, yay!
    Going to try a recipe for 1 syn chocolate brownies tonight (recipe given out at group today), if they're a success I will post the recipe here later :)

Wow! I thought the 3.5 syn brownies I made tonight were good going. If those brownies are good I want that receipe!

Congrats on the weight loss :) Make sure you don't rush out shopping too soon. I did that before and within a month the new clothes were also falling off me. I'm just picking up a few bits in charity shops at the moment to keep me going.

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Wow! I thought the 3.5 syn brownies I made tonight were good going. If those brownies are good I want that receipe!

Congrats on the weight loss :) Make sure you don't rush out shopping too soon. I did that before and within a month the new clothes were also falling off me. I'm just picking up a few bits in charity shops at the moment to keep me going.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually saying just that about the charity shop and penneys half an hour ago to a friend who's also doing SW, I'm confident enough that I'll be in a size 14 in about 2 weeks and most probably until the end of the year but hoping to just pick up some cheapy jeans in Penney's or New Look, I'll probably need to pick up a coat in the charity shop too as my beloved Calvin Klein coat will hopefully be way too big! Small sacrifice!
    Edit to say, I'm flaked out on the couch after making a big batch of tomato sauce for pasta and yummy crabcakes so won't be making and reporting on the brownies until tomorrow evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Happy out down 1lb

I'd love to try those brownies. I got a loan of the easy extra book today until I can make the meeting next week and I stuck to it word for word today. Iv never ate so much. I don't find myself craving anything cause I ate loads. I think it's a much better diet than any other ones Iv tried. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything today

Try not think of sw as a diet as it's not. It's a whole lifestyle change. I see it as a normal way of life now with loads of healthy recipes and cooking meals from scratch.

it is a diet to me right now as I'm trying to lose weight. Once I get my head around how the do the plan then my food options are going to be different, starting a lifetime change. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm excited about this diet and it seems sustainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I'm pretty sure everybody on this thread is looking to lose weight. Healthy eating and living should be for life, not a short term fix for weight loss. One of the reasons 'diets' often lead to failure.

I find this thread very interesting. Keep up the hard work!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Hi. I joined SW two weeks ago and have lost 11 lbs since! Delighted with myself so far so, Im joining in here to keep up the motivation!

• Advertisement

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Hi. I joined SW two weeks ago and have lost 11 lbs since! Delighted with myself so far so, Im joining in here to keep up the motivation!

Good on you! That's an amazing loss, and I was encouraged at group yesterday to see ladies who've been on the plan for at least a few months who are still losing up to 4 pounds a week and not feeling hungry and deprived - so it's sustainable :)
    I've been measuring myself every few weeks too because sometimes the biggest difference will show on the tape but not on the scales - the week that I was disappointed to lose 1 or 1.5 pounds, I actually lost nearly 3 inches from my chest (above bra line) and over an inch from my upper arms, which is fantastic motivation :p

Ya the measurements is true. I done it before with a trainer. Sometimes the scales is the same but ur losing inches. My friend is the same height as me and 2 lbs heavier and she looks thinner than me it's not fair!

So, here we go: 1 syn Chocolate Brownies! ***EDIT: possible miscalculation in original recipe - 1.7 syns per brownie if using Tate and Lyle sweetener)
    I've posted the original recipe with the original quantities, and put my notes and changes in bold :)

Ingredients:
    6 eggs, separated (I used medium eggs as it wasn't specified in recipe)
    150g sweetener (should be syn free, making it half a syn per brownie!) (but I use about 100 as I don't like it too sweet), or Tate & Lyle light at heart blend 4oz (22syns) (I used 110g of the Tate and Lyle light at heart blend, which I picked up on the sugar aisle in Dunnes)
    50g cocoa (9syns)
    and 1tsp of vanilla essence (I used vanilla bean paste, either will do)
    (I sometimes replace the vanilla with peppermint essence).

Equipment:
    2 large bowls; 2 small bowls; 1 dessert spoon; 1 teaspoon; weighing scales; electric beater (or you could whip the whites by hand, nice bit of 'body magic' :D); baking tin; parchment paper; purple spatula*

Method:
    1. In one bowl whisk the egg white to stiff peaks. (I separated the eggs into small bowls first to avoid getting bits of yolk in the whites)
    2. In another bowl mix everything else, if it's lumpy add some egg white. (I added 2 dessertspoons full of egg white (before whipping it) to make a more liquid cocoa mixture as it was quite stiff)
    If you want a more dense brownie mix the yolks, sweetener and essence and then the cocoa. (I just mixed it all at once)
    3. Finally fold in the egg whites and pour into a lined tin. (I added the egg white in 4 stages) (I used a 10 by 6 inch tin lined with parchment - a larger tin would probably be better for cutting the brownie into 18 pieces, isn't hindsight wonderful!)
    4. Bake 20-25 mins gas 3 or 180 degrees. (I baked it for 23 minutes, until it was springy)
    5. Lick bowl and spatula and debate whether to declare it as syns.

*If you don't have a purple spatula... a different coloured one would probably work almost as well.

So it's 31 syns for the whole cake, or 1.7222 syns for 1/18th!
    And the verdict? It's pretty decent actually. I'm having a little square right now (it's been out of the oven less than 10 minutes, so still warm) and it's definitely lighter and more 'spongy' than your typical brownie, but it's a little bit squidgy in the middle and I suspect it'll 'fall' a bit more as it cools, which should make it more brownie-ish. It just might improve with age.
    The flavour is quite good, but if (when) I make it again I'll try using less sweetener, as there is a slightly artificial aftertaste (though no more so than many of the Muller lights etc).
    Here are some pics of the creative process and the finished product http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/library/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/SW%20Brownies

Thanks for that Dee. Def need to look into making these low syn treats soon.

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks for that Dee. Def need to look into making these low syn treats soon.

I've just been looking at the Tate and Lyle light at heart sweetener that I used and I'm pretty sure it works out at 22 syns per 110g, not 9 as stated in the recipe given out at group, so beware! Splenda or other similar sweetener should be syn free. I'm going to check it with the group leader and see what the story is.

I'll be trying those brownies with a green spatula next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Just got home after my first full week on Slimming World, really happy with myself, a 6 pounds loss! :D

When I started to diet on my own, I weighed 17 stone 10 pounds and now I am 15 stone 6.5 pounds, I have a long way to go but I am finally seeing the scale move again and you have no idea of how good that makes me feel. :)

Vahevala wrote: »
    Just got home after my first full week on Slimming World, really happy with myself, a 6 pounds loss! :D

When I started to diet on my own, I weighed 17 stone 10 pounds and now I am 15 stone 6.5 pounds, I have a long way to go but I am finally seeing the scale move again and you have no idea of how good that makes me feel. :)

Well done! Delighted for you :)

Vahevala wrote: »

Well done! I was a few pounds heavier that you at the start (18.2) and didn't find slimming world until I was down to 13. I really wish I'd discovered it sooner. I'm sure you're going to find things so much easier now :)

• Advertisement

Can someone take a look at today and tell me if it was ok or any advise:
    Breakfast : omelette with tomato and onion with fly light., banana, muller light yougurt

Lunch: 4 ryvita with 4 extra light laughing cow cheeses., plum

Dinner: potatoes bacon and cabbage.

I made a raspeberry roulette cake apparently it's half a syn for the whole cake (3 eggs, vanilla essence, baking powder, sweetner, quok, fresh raspberrys)
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement