Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Plus i doubt Slash has forgotten some of the comments Axl made about him.

I'm sure a load of $$$ will smooth over any ill feeling that still lingers. They won't want to miss out on the big pay day that a reunion would guarantee. I don't think there's a bigger reunion out there where the original members are all still alive. Only ABBA could rival them :D

Seriously though, Axl probably lost a fair bit of cash on the last album and the rest of the members haven't exactly done much of note since GnR either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm sure a load of $$$ will smooth over any ill feeling that still lingers. They won't want to miss out on the big pay day that a reunion would guarantee. I don't think there's a bigger reunion out there where the original members are all still alive. Only ABBA could rival them :D

Seriously though, Axl probably lost a fair bit of cash on the last album and the rest of the members haven't exactly done much of note since GnR either.

They've turned down insane amounts of cash for a reunion previously, i don't see how cash will bring them together, it'd have to be like the early years, with all of them just jamming together without Axl's crew of hangers on.

Yeah Axl did loose a lot of cash with Chinese Democracy, Izzy's M.I.A, Duff's got his side projects, same with Slash, not entirely sure what Steven is doing.

Though it's interesting that Axl trademarked Stay Of Execution after April Fool's Day, and now Slash dropping these comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

They've turned down insane amounts of cash for a reunion previously, i don't see how cash will bring them together, it'd have to be like the early years, with all of them just jamming together without Axl's crew of hangers on.

Yeah Axl did loose a lot of cash with Chinese Democracy, Izzy's M.I.A, Duff's got his side projects, same with Slash, not entirely sure what Steven is doing.

Though it's interesting that Axl trademarked Stay Of Execution after April Fool's Day, and now Slash dropping these comments.

Neither is Steven lol

Axl has lost another guitarist, DJ Ashba has quit the band
    To Each and Every One Of You,
    6 years ago I received a call that changed my life forever. The call was from a dear friend of mine (Katie McNeil-Diamond) who was working with Guns N’ Roses. It was an offer to audition for Axl Rose and earn a role in arguably the biggest rock band of my time. While I thought it was a complete long-shot, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Much to my shock and surprise, I got the gig. And so began the most incredible journey I could have possibly imagined. I was blessed with the opportunity to not only work with one of the most talented bands but also to share the stage with a living legend and a truly gifted human being, Axl Rose. The amount of confidence and trust that Axl placed in me was genuinely heartwarming and truly career-defining. In the years that followed I traveled the world many times over and played these incredible songs night after night to the most enthusiastic and loving crowds. As you can imagine, the friendships that were forged during that time were deep and long lasting. But the most beautiful surprise of all was YOU... the fans. You welcomed me into your lives with open arms and showed me love and support that I could only have dreamed of. From the very first time I stepped on stage and started playing "Welcome To The Jungle," and felt the crowd erupt, I knew my life would never be the same. I'm not gonna lie...I was terrified!! But you were so accepting. You immediately turned my fear into pride. For that, I am truly grateful.
    So now it is with a very heavy heart and yet great pride that I announce that I've decided to close this chapter of my life and encapsulate the wonderful times that I've shared with Guns N’ Roses into fond memories. I have reached a point in my life where I feel its time to dedicate myself to my band Sixx:A.M., my adoring wife and family, and to the many new adventures that the future holds for me. I have always been driven by my passion for creating music and Sixx:A.M. has always been a place where I can express myself honestly and share that passion with my two brothers and bandmates, Nikki Sixx and James Michael. As you know I have also been blessed with the love and support of my incredible wife, Naty, who has been at my side for much of this amazing journey.
    As I sit here writing this letter, I want to take a moment to thank Axl from the bottom of my heart for not only the most incredible experience of my life, but for truly believing in me. You are a true friend and a champion of mine and I am forever grateful. And even as I move on to pursue other endeavors, I will always remain one of your biggest fans. I also would like to thank each and every one of you fans for your love and support throughout the years. Without you, I am nothing. Please know that I do not take one minute of this amazing life for granted.
    I hope that you all join me as I forge ahead. Let's conquer the world together!
    With love and respect,
    Dj Ashba

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Axl has lost another guitarist, DJ Ashba has quit the band

Meh, Ashba was a wannabe anyway

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Meh, Ashba was a wannabe anyway

And a bad wannabe at that.. But at least now he can focus on Sixx: Am and being creative and making new music.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So that's Ron and DJ now gone ? Chinese democracy might be the last gnr album.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If gnr released albums as often as lead guitarists we'd have more music. Just have the reunion and let me pay stupid money and let that be it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So that's Ron and DJ now gone ? Chinese democracy might be the last gnr album.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If gnr released albums as often as lead guitarists we'd have more music. Just have the reunion and let me pay stupid money and let that be it.

Yup Ron & D.J are GONE, can't really blame them though, 9 & 6 years in the ''band'' respectively.. Technically imo the thrown together with 0 ****s given Live Era '87-'93 was the last GN'R album.... Chinese was an Axl album..

Axl had 2 of the best guitarists post Slash in Robin Finck & Buckethead yet he ****ed it up badly, sure there are album with said guitarists, but i doubt they'll EVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY.

There is something going on though that we ain't privy to.

Something to think about

1. GNR "retirement" and "free calendar" rumor spreads.
    2. Axl denies it, but it's currently happening, so there was truth to it.
    3. Eddie Trunk and Mitch Lafon have both been hearing things from "reliable sources" that indicate there will be a new/old lineup in the next year or so.
    4. The daily dose of Duff McKagan interviews stopped out of nowhere.
    5. Slash changes his tone on reunion questions.
    6. Not a peep out of Matt Sorum on Kings of Chaos, but tons of #TBT posts with Izzy and Axl on Facebook
    7. Dead Dasies, Sixx A.M., Replacements news
    8. Richard Fortus previously mentioned that some of the material on the new albums came from Slash. There may be some sort of legal issue where Slash has to give permission for it to be used (doubt it, but you never know)
    9. At the Golden Gods Awards last year, Axl included "all of our lineups" in this thanks.
    10. Steven Adler's comments about the NuGNR have been toned down... a little.

But most importantly - the fact that nobody can/will talk about it!
    Trunk/Lafon - They've heard things, but they can't tell who from
    Duff/Matt - Suddenly very quiet
    Slash - "I have to be very careful what I say there" and "That would be fun to try at some point"
    Bumblefoot - ...

There could be a reunion of the AFD lineup or UYI lineup next year, I'm sure. The interesting thing is, Matt Sorum has said he won't do it unless Steven Adler is involved. That could throw a kink into it UNLESS Sorum accepts the job and uses that time to convince Axl to let Steven come play at the end of the tour. And heck, if Axl is dead-set on having a special effects keyboardist and third guitarist, then throw Matt onto the synth keyboard (rotate drums with Adler) and Gilby on the third guitar for a AFD/UYI combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There could be a reunion of the AFD lineup or UYI lineup next year, I'm sure. The interesting thing is, Matt Sorum has said he won't do it unless Steven Adler is involved. That could throw a kink into it UNLESS Sorum accepts the job and uses that time to convince Axl to let Steven come play at the end of the tour. And heck, if Axl is dead-set on having a special effects keyboardist and third guitarist, then throw Matt onto the synth keyboard (rotate drums with Adler) and Gilby on the third guitar for a AFD/UYI combo.

I like the cut of your jib there
    Lately I've been listening via u tube to the 91 era concerts it'd be fantastic if they could recreate that energy again all over the shop at times but still steam rolling they're way through it and sounding like a rock band should
    Mind you the copious amount of booze and (ahem) substance's the rhythm section would of consumed had a lot to play there
    Listening to the Vegas shows with Axl and recent company he didn't sound to bad considering the type of singing style voice he has.
    Obviously he's not the 28 year old mad bastid Rock star he once was
    But yeah if the old crew get back on the road the credit card will more likely get fleeced. It'd be a cool 40th birthday present for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They could make millions and millions if they done a tour with the oringal members. Axl could just have his own transport, dressing room and need not talk to slash. Just go out and sing.

They could sell out croke park, slane and other huge world venues

Can't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They could make millions and millions if they done a tour with the oringal members. Axl could just have his own transport, dressing room and need not talk to slash. Just go out and sing.

They could sell out croke park, slane and other huge world venues

Can't see it happening
    But would it really be worthwhile seeing a bunch of old guys only playing for the money? And also considering that none of them have been involved on a good album since Appetite for Destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

And also considering that none of them have been involved on a good album since Appetite for Destruction.

Don't forget about use your illusions 1&2 please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Don't forget about use your illusions 1&2 please
    Very average pair of albums that had lost the attitude and danger of Appetite for Destruction. 1991 was a fantastic year for music, but Use Your Illusion 1&2 were not reasons for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Very average pair of albums that had lost the attitude and danger of Appetite for Destruction. 1991 was a fantastic year for music, but Use Your Illusion 1&2 were not reasons for this.

Still trying to see sense in the two albums all these years after. I reckon there was about ten cracking songs that could of followed up AFD nicely keeping the most dangerous band in the world image going.
    Right next door to hell
    14 years
    You could be mine
    Double talking jive
    Bad apple
    Dead horse
    Pretty tied up
    Yesterday's
    Don't cry
    Civil war
    Instead of trying to be "all things to all men".
    Mind you when they recorded Appetite they were living hand to mouth
    When they recorded use you illusion's they were been waited on hand and foot two totally different mind sets to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'd go as far to say as those albums haven't aged well too apart from some of the big numbers. Use your Illusion 1 does shade 2 for me...2 sounds off with the one two combo of a not as good reshash of the same song on 1 (Don't Cry) and My World which seems longer than it is as its painful to indulge the most rubbish thing they've recorded amongst the filler is also a sh1te cover of a Bob Dylan song.

Apparently Bumblefoot is gone, and has been since the residency in Vegas

http://wmmr.com/2015/07/31/gnr-reps-confirm-ron-bumblefoot-thal-left-band/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But would it really be worthwhile seeing a bunch of old guys only playing for the money?

I went to see the Eagles a good few years ago on their reunion concert and it is still the worst I have ever been to. The fake camaraderie, arms around each other and smiling at each other constantly while you know they hate each other was nauseating. The music was poor too as it was obvious they were only there for the pay day. I fear a GNR reunion would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I went to see the Eagles a good few years ago on their reunion concert and it is still the worst I have ever been to. The fake camaraderie, arms around each other and smiling at each other constantly while you know they hate each other was nauseating. The music was poor too as it was obvious they were only there for the pay day. I fear a GNR reunion would be similar.

I'd probably feel the same towards a GNR reunion. As much as I'd love the idea of it, seeing them play live in the flesh could sour things quite a bit. Axl has been a caricature of himself for a long time now so why would he be anything else just because he's on stage with the original band?

I wouldn't use the Eagles comparison though. With them there were some huge egos involved, different rivalries, etc. With GNR it's basically about Axl resolving his differences with Slash. The rest of the band have all played with each other in various line-ups over the years so they'd all do it in a heartbeat. But whether such a stubborn person like Axl would have the courage to step back a bit, hold his hands up and say 'ok, I was a big part of the problem' is another thing.

Leaving aside a reunion, I just hope that Axl and Slash make their peace eventually. It's genuinely sad the way their relationship deteriorated in such a way and it would be nice for them to meet up one day and have a friendly chat about the glory days.

• Advertisement

Slash doesn't need Axl, Slash is in a far better place with what he's doing now, he has a better singer who is respectful to fans.

If Axl had learnt his lessons and behaved (getting onstage on time etc) then sure, give it a go, but the guy is still a grade 1 cock so no, i wouldn't be going to anything Axl is associated with

Seen the original line up in '88, that'll do for me

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Lads, just wondering has anyone read Mick Wall's book about Axl "W.A.R"?

I finished Duff's last week and Slash's a couple of weeks prior to that and I've found myself on a massive GnR buzz since, so I was interested in keeping it going with another book. I've found mixed reviews on "W.A.R".

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I finished Duff's last week and Slash's a couple of weeks prior to that and I've found myself on a massive GnR buzz since, so I was interested in keeping it going with another book. I've found mixed reviews on "W.A.R".

Cheers!

Haven't read Mick Walls book but you should check out Steven Adlers book,it's a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    Haven't read Mick Walls book but you should check out Steven Adlers book,it's a good read.

Thanks. I'll definitely take a look a that one too.

I was hoping Slash would update his to cover the demise of VR/Weiland and his recent solo run.

Cheers!

I assume it's an updated version of his Axl biography. If so I haven't read it but I will soon as it's been sitting at home for ages! I was more eager to read the Slash, Duff and Steven books as they were in their own words (so to speak) whereas with Axl, you're just reading a lot of old quotes and anecdotes, etc. I'm sure it's entertaining anyway.

I still have fond memories of reading Mick Wall's 'The Most Dangerous Band in the World' from the early 90s. It was a good snapshot of GNR at the time, although it does become a bit too personal, culminating in the whole Get In The Ring farce.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Slash doesn't need Axl, Slash is in a far better place with what he's doing now, he has a better singer who is respectful to fans.

If Axl had learnt his lessons and behaved (getting onstage on time etc) then sure, give it a go, but the guy is still a grade 1 cock so no, i wouldn't be going to anything Axl is associated with

Seen the original line up in '88, that'll do for me

You're a lucky fella. What gig did you see?

You're a lucky fella. What gig did you see?

Donington Monsters of Rock

Helloween, Megadeth, Guns'n'Roses, Dave Lee Roth, Kiss & Iron Maiden

Was a fcuked up day, when they booked GnR in the feb they were a good third on the bill act, by the time the festival came round they were huge, could have headlined.
    Maidens first ever appearance at Donington which was a HUGE thing
    In an interview with Maurice Jones, the promotor, the year before he said capacity was 72,500, they could possibly take a few more but were limited by their own common sense.
    Cue August '88 and they let 112,000 People in :mad::mad:

When Guns came on at around 2pm the place went nuts, i was at the front and never been so fcukin scared, if you went down you stayed down

2 fans died in the pit

I got the train back after the gig to my home in North Wales, fell asleep on the train as did quite a few others and ended up in Manchester, kipped in the train station, rang my parents around 9am on the Sunday morning and they were in bits, had been on the news about the deaths and being the days before mobiles nobody could get in touch.

That year i also managed to get a backstage pass (i wrote Please 20,000 times on a letter, asking for a pass, they sent me one)

Here's a few pics i got

This is at 07:30 in the morning!!!
    Notice how small the security pit was, was maybe 4ft in between the stage and the fans

1936906_136312827089_3225249_n_zpswgwgiquf.jpg

And here's me with 'Arry, i got that programme signed by nearly ever band and lost it in a house move years later

1936906_136314837089_7997555_n_zpsycg7wfh4.jpg

Great story, I had figured it might have been that gig alright.

I remember at the time (I was 15) the news about the two lads who died, it was awful to hear of it. I can only imagine what it was like to be there in a crush like that. Hindsight is great and all that but how they let so many in is beyond comprehension.

Bad luck about the programme though, it would be some souvenir to have! And you're one of the few who can say they're in a GNR video...although I doubt you spotted yourself in among the crowd!

Saw this in an article about Dr. Dre and why he never released Detox.
    The reason Detox didn’t come out because it just wasn’t good

He acknowledged the expectations for Detox were so high from not only fans but himself, he couldn't ever meet it. So instead of just throwing out whatever he had, he shelved it.

So to tie it into GN'R, should Axl have done the same with Chinese Democracy and instead put out another album without the baggage that would eventually come with Chinese Democracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So to tie it into GN'R, should Axl have done the same with Chinese Democracy and instead put out another album without the baggage that would eventually come with Chinese Democracy

No Chinese Democracy is a decent album its not the world beater people were expecting given the amount of time over 10 years in the making and all that...also a lot of the tracks had been in floatation long before the album was officially released.

What baggage? The baggage they have is the line-up change a different release by same would have been given the same treatment anyway.

Advertisement