Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

You'd have to wonder, if Axl wasn't so late coming on stage during the Illusions World tour, would the band have made more money, i know Slash said in his book that Axl used to throw insanely lavish backstage parties during said tour. Also not forgetting to mention the fines incurred for Axl's lateness. So couple the fines with the spending on backstage parties and you have a sort of clear idea where all the money went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Yeah I read that, I think Fortus should just keep quiet and continue to be thankful Axl lets him use red guitar picks with the GNR logo on them

Steven Adler says a GN'R reunion album would blow away Appetite For Destruction

http://www.alternativenation.net/steven-adler-says-guns-n-roses-reunion-album-blow-away-appetite-destruction/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lithium93_ wrote: »

http://www.alternativenation.net/steven-adler-says-guns-n-roses-reunion-album-blow-away-appetite-destruction/

Not a f@€king hope as long as Axl & Slash aren't on speaking terms.

• Advertisement

Not a f@€king hope as long as Axl & Slash aren't on speaking terms.

Not a hope full stop. Slash has moved on, Axl, who the hell knows where Axl is these days

And a reunion album WOULD NEVER EVER blow away Appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Steven always comes out with some hilarious quotes...
    'I've got Axl's back' :pac::pac:

You can picture Slash, Duff and Izzy reading those quotes and smiling before quietly shaking their heads to themselves. You can picture Axl doing absolutely anything except thinking 'Yep, Steven is 100 per cent right..we should get back together just for the fans.'

I like Steven and I'm glad he's sober and in a good place but the man is so f***ing deluded it's beyond comprehension at times!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Poor Stephen is just regretting what he threw away/what might have been for him. Sad for him but sure at least he featured on possibly the best album ever made so he has his legacy.

I am not sure I would goto see a reunion show were it to miraculously happen. The moment is gone.

I was just thinking the other day while talking to a young lad at work that me talking about how great GNR were was like the old farts way back in 1991 talking about music from the mid sixties :eek:. I am that old fart now:(

How is Steven still alive?! I mean it seems that Steven makes these comments everytime someone forgets him for a few months. I feel for the guy, I really do, but his contibutions to Guns N' Roses ended with the drumming on 'Civil War' and most people don't even know Don Henley replaced him briefly in 1989...I know for him it was a time and place he really wants back, but do you honestly think he would even be considered in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

How is Steven still alive?! I mean it seems that Steven makes these comments everytime someone forgets him for a few months. I feel for the guy, I really do, but his contibutions to Guns N' Roses ended with the drumming on 'Civil War' and most people don't even know Don Henley replaced him briefly in 1989...I know for him it was a time and place he really wants back, but do you honestly think he would even be considered in that situation.

I'd easily pick him ahead of Matt Sorum. But, a reunion would likely feature both.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Poor Stephen is just regretting what he threw away/what might have been for him. Sad for him but sure at least he featured on possibly the best album ever made so he has his legacy.

I am not sure I would goto see a reunion show were it to miraculously happen. The moment is gone.

I was just thinking the other day while talking to a young lad at work that me talking about how great GNR were was like the old farts way back in 1991 talking about music from the mid sixties :eek:. I am that old fart now:(

Well if Steven had cleaned up when Slash, Izzy & Duff did, he might have been in the band up until it's implosion after the Illusions tour, but he didn't so frankly he has no-one to blame for his ****ing up but himself, harsh as it is.

But at least he contributed to one of the greatest debut albums of all time in Appetite and still probably gets a royalty check from time to time.

The only kind of GN'R reunion that could happen, is if Axl brought Duff & Izzy back, mixed with the earlier incarnations of NuGN'R.

Must've been a kick in the nuts reminiscing back on what was once 'The most dangerous band in the world' at that point in time, the young lad you were talking too wasn't probably around when GN'R were at their most popular.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd easily pick him ahead of Matt Sorum. But, a reunion would likely feature both.

I'm not sure whether you could honestly put Adler's drumming above Sorum. Guns N' Roses aside most of Adler's "side projects" aren't worth a footnote mention on Wikipedia, the one IMO that is is just a model of GNR's work in a 21st century setting and only produced two or three tracks...whereas Sorum has contributed to quite a lot of work to build up a decent portfolio.

I'm going to put this out there....

Appetite for Destruction, for me, is inferior to Use Your Illusion 1

I await your abuse....

Appetite was the breath of fresh air that rock n' roll needed, and at the time announced the newest bad guys of rock, fast forward to '91, the Illusions albums cemented them as the best bands of that era, case in point both Illusions album debuting at #1 & #2 on the Billboard charts respectively, something which hadn't been done since The Beatles, and more than likely will never ever be repeated again. The original GN'R were lightning in a bottle.

Just a shame it all went pear-shaped after their Illusions World Tour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Appetite is close to the perfect album. I thought UYI had some weak tunes on it which isn't the case for Appetite

I await your abuse....

BS

It's been said i don't know how many times, but the Illusions would be better if they were cut down to a single album, and the filler kept for an album of b-sides.

It's been said i don't know how many times, but the Illusions would be better if they were cut down to a single album, and the filler kept for an album of b-sides.

Nah, the filler should've been just dumped!?

Nah, the filler should've been just dumped!?

Well put it this way, would you have rathered an album of b-sides than the middle of the road punk rock covers album the band released in '93?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Well put it this way, would you have rathered an album of b-sides than the middle of the road punk rock covers album the band released in '93?

Such fun such fun such fun...

• Advertisement

A proper album.

A proper album.

Well given the **** storm that was brewing for GN'R after the Illusions tour, a new album would've been a miracle (Damn you Axl for rejecting It's Five O' Clock Somewhere) And we did get got a proper album, albeit 17 years in the making, along with the original core of the band imploding, and along with numerous line up changes during said 17 years.

Well given the **** storm that was brewing for GN'R after the Illusions tour, a new album would've been a miracle (Damn you Axl for rejecting It's Five O' Clock Somewhere) And we did get got a proper album, albeit 17 years in the making, along with the original core of the band imploding, and along with numerous line up changes during said 17 years.

Shame it was a crock of s**t though!?

Chinese Democracy was a crock of ****, to think that's what Axl ruined the original band for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I await your abuse....

disagree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Given the number of singles that were eventually released from the two albums, if they'd put out two new b-sides with each single that would have made it much cooler. Then they could have put all the songs together on a b-sides album like you said. It still would have been ten times better than most albums.

I always thought most of the songs were strong enough to justify being on the albums, it's the production I have a problem with. It's too over-produced and clearly that was the fault of Axl, who had basically taken over the band by that stage. There are way too many effects and sounds and samples for what should have been a straightforward rock album. The basic tracks were laid down in a couple of weeks and that's where Axl came in.

The worst offender is November Rain. A lot of people had heard it well before it was released and it was clear that it was a great song. I had played the two demo versions to death and they were both far superior to the finished product. Those versions had much more emotion to them. Probably the only thing that saved the recorded version in my book was Slash's amazing solo. It didn't need all those strings and synths to make it a great song. Look at Estranged...a similar kind of song but it has far more impact because it's not overdone.

There's also the Adler v Sorum debate and to me that's no contest. Steven's drumming just had that looseness and groove to it. Sorum was just plodding along to the songs IMO.

I love the fact that Appetite was just the band plugging in, playing the songs and getting them down on tape. Of course that doesn't always make for a great album...you need to have the songs and they certainly had the songs.

So I'd always go for Appetite over either of the UYI albums. But I still love the other two and listen to them a lot. Bought them on vinyl for the first time recently and it's an absolute blast listening to them!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Appetite is close to the perfect album. I thought UYI had some weak tunes on it which isn't the case for Appetite

In theory, yes, but Appetite also has filler - 'Think About You' and 'Anything Goes' aren't exactly great tracks, Axl attempted to bring back the former during 2002's ill fated touring and it didn't really go down well then either. The point is though that every album has filler IMO
    I always thought most of the songs were strong enough to justify being on the albums...

You see, I'm not so sure, because on Use Your Illusion 2 there are songs that I just think are complete crap and a waste of everyone's time IMO
    it's the production I have a problem with. It's too over-produced and clearly that was the fault of Axl, who had basically taken over the band by that stage. There are way too many effects and sounds and samples for what should have been a straightforward rock album.

I do agree, even when listening to Spotify you can clearly tell the production levels on both albums are worlds apart....I'm not sure whether AFD would be one of those albums that would benefit from a remaster, maybe sticking the demo version of November Rain, Shadow of Your Love and Don't Cry on at the end - and I think Back Off Bitch was also played in 1984
    I love the fact that Appetite was just the band plugging in, playing the songs and getting them down on tape. Of course that doesn't always make for a great album...you need to have the songs and they certainly had the songs.

They did, with the exception of Think About You and Anything Goes

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Think about you is a fantastic song anything goes is a crock of ****.rocket queen is poor also-other than that its a great album

Rocket Queen is my favourite GNR song! I would also put Think About You above Crazy and My Michelle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rocket Queen is one of my favourites too.

The only track that really has no business on any of the three albums is My World. Everything else, you can at least make a case for.

Advertisement