Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yes, I remember that Kurt Loder interview in 98 or 99 where he spoke about that. Would have been a phenomenally good project. Then again, maybe he spent so much money he needed to do something to recoup the bills he owed.

It was 1999 if i recall, i doubt Axl had spent that much money by that point, work on Chinese on-going for 2 years. I just can't fathom why Axl can't/won't release whatever was recorded while Robin and Buckethead were still in the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It was 1999 if i recall, i doubt Axl had spent that much money by that point, work on Chinese on-going for 2 years. I just can't fathom why Axl can't/won't release whatever was recorded while Robin and Buckethead were still in the band.

We'll get it, pretty much when Axl is dead or facing a massive IRS bill, that material will eventually find it's way out there - but Axl is in much better health (as far as I'm aware) than Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley so we might have to wait a little loner

We'll get it, pretty much when Axl is dead or facing a massive IRS bill, that material will eventually find it's way out there - but Axl is in much better health (as far as I'm aware) than Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley so we might have to wait a little loner

If we ever get anything from Axl under the GN'R banner, i'd say it'll happen when he kicks the bucket, so the whole 'vault' we keep hearing so much about maybe cleared out. Nobody really know what was recorded during the 'quiet years'. Surely he didn't spend that $13 million dollars on 1 album.

When Axl does kick the bucket, who would get the legal ownership of the GN'R name? Would it be his siblings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

When Axl does kick the bucket, who would get the legal ownership of the GN'R name? Would it be his siblings?

Maybe he has named Slash as his sole beneficiary in his will

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Maybe he has named Slash as his sole beneficiary in his will

That would be ironic given the hate Axl has towards Slash

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That would be ironic given the hate Axl has towards Slash

Indeed
    The beneficiaries in his will will be his wife, then kids, then parents/siblings etc assuming he hasn't named anyone else. I would assume that he has made a will though.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Indeed
    The beneficiaries in his will will be his wife, then kids, then parents/siblings etc assuming he hasn't named anyone else. I would assume that he has made a will though.

Well if Axl did kick the bucket, we can most certainly rule out a wife or kids straight away, his Brazilian ''management''/housekeeper, his half-siblings would i'd imagine get a sizable cut of Axl's fortune

I'd imagine the legal rights to the GN'R name would be held up in litigation.

Found this ticket going thru old boxes at home,
    as a previous poster said they really were the biggest band in the world at the time.
    332261.jpg

Can't get over the price considering what Foos & AC/DC are going for currently, taking inflation into account even!!

the bastarding celtic tiger is back when a gig that costs so much (ac/dc) sells out that fast.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or has the official GNR website been partially taken down?

On a similar topic, do you see 2015 being a quiet year for the band or should we expect something to begin happening again in relation to either touring or even - as some may dread - another physical recording of some type?

GN'R website working fine for me. We'll see some touring towards the later part of 2015 (D.J has prior engagements with Sixx Am in April), nobody knows if Bumblefoot is officially in or out or the band. As for a follow up to Chinese Democracy, soon is the word :pac:

Looking back on the Chinese Democracy songs that were played in Rock In Rio III 15 years ago next month. They sounded so much better than what ended up making the album when it was eventually released 7 years later.

I mean it would be cool to hear Axl say the words ''this is a brand new song'' again.

Chinese Democracy songs that were played in Rock In Rio III 15 years ago next month.

What the ****! Has it been 15 years since that concert....OK, that's it, I think I'm done with them now - sure, if they tour again I'll go and get a night's entertainment, but the random nonsense and fan postings on boards and everything else has really ended for me

I can't believe Bumblefoot the other day when he said that he has been 8 years in Guns N' Roses - that just happened!

What the ****! Has it been 15 years since that concert....OK, that's it, I think I'm done with them now - sure, if they tour again I'll go and get a night's entertainment, but the random nonsense and fan postings on boards and everything else has really ended for me

I can't believe Bumblefoot the other day when he said that he has been 8 years in Guns N' Roses - that just happened!

My bad it's actually 14 years next month since GN'R played Rock In Rio III, I lost interest in GN'R somewhere along the road in 2014, the only thing that could get me back on side is if a new album gets released this decade and Axl gets into shape vocally & physically (But we know damn well that that won't happen).

MYGNRFORUM have just gone downhill since GN'R wrapped up their 2nd Vegas residency in June.

Well if Bumblefoot is indeed gone from GN'R this time, then i say Bona Fortuna, better he resume his own solo career instead of wasting away in Axl's Nostalgia Circus.

I think 2015 is going to be a relatively quiet year for GNR, probably the quietest twelve months we've had since Summer 2007 (after the Australian dates) to October 2008 (in preparation for Chinese Democracy launch). If this means that the wheels are turning and a new album could possibly be coming our way then fantastic!

Nothing will top the silent years of 2003-2005.

Nothing will top the silent years of 2003-2005.

Very true. Let's not have a repeat of that.

Very true. Let's not have a repeat of that.

Aye, i know Axl is/can be a very reclusive guy, but those 2 years felt like an eternity. Nobody knew what was going on, i remember reading in 2004 when the Greatest Hits cd was released, that Chinese would be released in time for Christmas....... Boy was i sucker for believing that.

Aye, i know Axl is/can be a very reclusive guy, but those 2 years felt like an eternity. Nobody knew what was going on, i remember reading in 2004 when the Greatest Hits cd was released, that Chinese would be released in time for Christmas....... Boy was i sucker for believing that.

Yeah the Greatest Hits CD came out at the end of March so that was another long wait. Plus there was his appearance in GTA, as Tommy "Nightmare" Smith, I'd love to know when he recorded that and under what circumstances - but I don't think anyone has ever spoken on it or released any information about that...he must have recorded it a few years before it was eventually used...

• Advertisement

While we're on the subject, here's some mildly connected GNR material - dunno what the hell ever happened to this music....supposedly produced by Axl and featuring Paul Tobias - who, for some reason, also uses the name Paul Huge

Yeah the Greatest Hits CD came out at the end of March so that was another long wait. Plus there was his appearance in GTA, as Tommy "Nightmare" Smith, I'd love to know when he recorded that and under what circumstances - but I don't think anyone has ever spoken on it or released any information about that...he must have recorded it a few years before it was eventually used...

GH was a disaster. I was actually surprised when my cousin told me that it was Axl who voiced Tommy ''Nightmare'' Smith on San Andreas, it took 10 year old me by surprise, if i were to guess i'd imagine he did the GTA voiceover work sometime in 2002/03 or sometime in 2004 before the game was released.

Duff mentioned these tidbits on Jamey Jasta's podcast recently.
    Guns N’ Roses, it’s a big catalog item for the Universal Music Group. It still is. It’s, like, the second biggest catalog item they have, it sells. In 1994, I’d just gotten sober and I was kind of figuring some stuff out, and our lawyer said, ‘We’re gonna audit Geffen,’ audit our record company. Before that, I lived in this sort of fantasy world that they were our partner in this thing. We were going out and attacking the world together.They didn’t pay us on something like six million records. Six million records! That’s what we found. And they said, ‘Okay, fine. We’ll pay you for two. Or you can sue us.’ This is our record company. ‘You can sue us for the rest, but it’s gonna cost you. We have lawyers on staff.’ So you do an audit settlement. So you settle for about a third of what’s owed you. And we’ve done now an audit every three years. And it’s the same procedure. It’s not six million anymore. But it’s a hefty number. But you have to settle.

The rocker went on to say that there’s a perception that the Guns N’ Roses members made millions while supporting their Use Your Illusion albums, but he explains
    Our crew was 130 people … 130! We had two stages going — we had an ‘A’ stage and a ‘B’ stage going — around the world at all times. That’s why we toured for two-and-a-half years, cause it too us two years to break even — just to break even — on that tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

Duff mentioned these tidbits on Jamey Jasta's podcast recently.

The rocker went on to say that there’s a perception that the Guns N’ Roses members made millions while supporting their Use Your Illusion albums, but he explains

wow i didnt know that, that some shady **** from the record label!

In honour of Axl's 53rd birthday today, Rolling Stone posted their interview with Axl from February 2000 on their Facebook page, when Chinese Democracy was not yet a reality.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/axl-speaks-20000203

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Slash tweeted to Axl yesterday! No reply from Axl as of yet :pac:

https://twitter.com/Slash/status/563715577353879552

Axl actually did reply
    Buried w/texts, emails, posts, videos, n' good ol' fashioned cards. Greetings n' B-day wishes from everywhere imagineable. Thanks 2 everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Well, I meant he hasn't replied directly to Slash...not that we know of anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

wow i didnt know that, that some shady **** from the record label!

In an industry known for shady business practices Geffen were particularly notorious. Sure they once sued Neil Young for recording an album that apparently didn't sound enough like Neil Young!:pac:

• Advertisement

Our crew was 130 people … 130! We had two stages going — we had an ‘A’ stage and a ‘B’ stage going — around the world at all times. That’s why we toured for two-and-a-half years, cause it too us two years to break even — just to break even — on that tour.

Why am I not surprised. I can't imagine anyone would have made millions from that. The best money they would have made is what they were saving while they didn't have to buy groceries or food or pay bills back home. I know Gilby Clarke spoke out and said he wasn't paid properly for that tour, he had to sort something with Axl afterwards.

Advertisement