Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Think about you is a fantastic song anything goes is a crock of ****.rocket queen is poor also-other than that its a great album

Whaaaat?!! Rocket Queen is my favourite song on Appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rocket Queen is a great track, the perfect album closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The only track that really has no business on any of the three albums is My World. Everything else, you can at least make a case for.

A song Slash didn't even know had been recorded until the album was released and he held the first pressed copy of Use Your Illusion 2 in his hands....allegedly....

I think (if I remember the credits) that Axl and one other person were involved in that song, and the other guy was a sampler or something

As for bad tracks I've always felt "Shotgun Blues" is very weak. "Get In The Ring" just seems to be an excuse for a rant and serves no actual purpose. I've also never been a fan of "So Fine" or "Breakdown" more for their musical style then they're bad songs.

It seems those albums (the second one especially) are filled with solo material type songs from different members of the Guns N Roses camp, who all picked song styles they liked and threw them together on the one release

Also, don't know whether the writing credits on Wikipedia have been altered but the co-writers of some of the UYI tracks seem to have names next to them I've never heard of

Timo Caltia is credited with co-writing 'Right Next Door To Hell', Chris Webber for co-writing 'Back Off Bitch' and Dave Lank for 'Don't Damn Me' as well as Billy McCloud for 'Yesterdays'

Have these always been there or is this just something to come up in recent years with people claiming originally that they wrote some material here and there?

A song Slash didn't even know had been recorded until the album was released and he held the first pressed copy of Use Your Illusion 2 in his hands....allegedly....

I think (if I remember the credits) that Axl and one other person were involved in that song, and the other guy was a sampler or something

As for bad tracks I've always felt "Shotgun Blues" is very weak. "Get In The Ring" just seems to be an excuse for a rant and serves no actual purpose. I've also never been a fan of "So Fine" or "Breakdown" more for their musical style then they're bad songs.

It seems those albums (the second one especially) are filled with solo material type songs from different members of the Guns N Roses camp, who all picked song styles they liked and threw them together on the one release

Also, don't know whether the writing credits on Wikipedia have been altered but the co-writers of some of the UYI tracks seem to have names next to them I've never heard of

Timo Caltia is credited with co-writing 'Right Next Door To Hell', Chris Webber for co-writing 'Back Off Bitch' and Dave Lank for 'Don't Damn Me' as well as Billy McCloud for 'Yesterdays'

Have these always been there or is this just something to come up in recent years with people claiming originally that they wrote some material here and there?

They've always been there. I remember peering through squinted eyes at the inlay cards on the tapes that I bought back in the day (which I still have!). Del James is there too on a couple of songs as is West Arkeen...both actually are given writing credits on Yesterdays along with Billy McCloud and Axl.

Even though I was having a go at Axl a few posts earlier for overdoing it on the production side, in fairness to him he seemed happy to give credit where it was due. I always liked his message after the Estranged lyrics - 'Slash, thanks for the killer melodies'.

Funnily enough I'd agree with you on Shotgun Blues and Get in the Ring. They're probably the weakest songs on the two albums and I'd happily live without them, My World and the alternative Don't Cry. I don't think Heavens Door turned out as well as it could have done either.

Make of this what you will, ex-GN'R manager Doug Goldstein thinks Michael Jackson is to blame for the Slash/Axl feud.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2015-03-26/guns-n-roses-slash-axl-rose-feud-michael-jackson/?xrs=CLASS_1pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Funnily enough I'd agree with you on Shotgun Blues and Get in the Ring. They're probably the weakest songs on the two albums and I'd happily live without them, My World and the alternative Don't Cry. I don't think Heavens Door turned out as well as it could have done either.

I would add Bad Obsession, So Fine and You Ain't the first to that list.

edit - oh and Yesterdays. Always disliked that one.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Make of this what you will, ex-GN'R manager Doug Goldstein thinks Michael Jackson is to blame for the Slash/Axl feud.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2015-03-26/guns-n-roses-slash-axl-rose-feud-michael-jackson/?xrs=CLASS_1pm

Was reading that last night. Had a look at some of the posts in mygnrforum and it seems Goldstein has his dates all wrong on this one. Plus there's the fact that he's putting his name forward as the 'only manager' that could do the reunion...he sounds like a total chancer.

Some interesting posts here. http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/211083-breaking-news-doug-goldstein-says-michael-jackson-is-the-reason-axl-doesnt-forgive-slash/

Doug Goldstein was a chancer, he came across as Axl's little bitch in Slash's book to me. But what i don't understand is why he would come out with this now, something smells fishy here

MYGNRFORUM i tend to avoid, it's a cesspool of deluded Axl fans, who'll jump on anyone who dares criticise Axl.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would add Bad Obsession, So Fine and You Ain't the first to that list.

edit - oh and Yesterdays. Always disliked that one.

At this rate I think we're about to scrap an album so. Case proven haha
    MYGNRFORUM i tend to avoid, it's a cesspool of deluded Axl fans, who'll jump on anyone who dares criticise Axl.

I agree.

I will say this though, regardless of what Jackson may have done, Axl and Slash were going to split eventually. Maybe returning every once and a while to do the odd "reunion" but they were no Richards/Jagger as touted...they didn't have that dynamic, or that real friendship, they were just both really good at the same place in the same time for as long as needed.

And it took so much to produce a follow up to one album of material that to speed up the process virtually every older demo and rough cut was recorded for the EP and the Double Cut...whereas for GNR to have survived they would have needed to be working on album after album after album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Listened to Appetite in full yesterday, hard to believe that album is 28yrs old, still sounds so fresh.

Oh what could have been

Did the original line up ever come to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

scudzilla wrote: »
    Listened to Appetite in full yesterday, hard to believe that album is 28yrs old, still sounds so fresh.

Oh what could have been

Did the original line up ever come to Ireland?

https://youtu.be/lQeyLx89M24

Bruthal wrote: »

I said ORIGINAL line up ;)

Rose/Slash/Stradlin/Mcaggan/Adler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I said ORIGINAL line up ;)

Rose/Slash/Stradlin/Mcaggan/Adler

Just testing if you were asking a question, to which you knew the answer already:)

I always look back on those 'lost' couple of years for the band, 89/90, and wish they had got their act together sooner in terms of getting stuff out there. Even if they had brought out an EP it could have been sensational. It just would have captured a moment and with the original line-up too.

Funnily enough, yesterday was the 25th anniversary of their last performance together at Farm Aid. Steven's trip on the drum riser is pure car crash stuff and Civil War is utterly wretched. But I've always loved the Down On the Farm performance!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-last-guns-n-roses-show/

So Axl recently trademarked the name Stay Of Execution, and no it was an April Fools Day joke.

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-new-project-stay-of-execution/

Interesting, perhaps he is looking for something that will provide the name for the next Guns N' Roses record or perhaps he is attempting to form a band - in secret - to outlet some of the tracks he doesn't feel deserve the attention of that name.

No doubt upon the release of Chinese Democracy he realised that a lot of bad press was given to a good album with a huge name on the title...so maybe he wants people to look past the name and is actually going to start something different. Or maybe this is just the follow up.

I'd imagine it would be the name of the next Axl album, whenever that'll be, it sure as hell isn't a name for another band, Axl has enough problems trying to keep his GN'R going. If anything i'd imagine Stay Of Execution would be a box-set with the rest of the Chinese era material that was recorded.

Chinese Democracy was doomed from the beginning by Axl holding on to the GN'R name, if anything he should've released/toured the album under his own name, hell his initials are cool enough to name a solo band - W.A.R

Time will tell what Axl plans to do with the trademarked Stay Of Execution.

Chinese Democracy was doomed from the beginning by Axl holding on to the GN'R name, if anything he should've released/toured the album under his own name, hell his initials are cool enough to name a solo band - W.A.R

I believe that's already taken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_%28band%29

Though in fairness it's unlikely most people would know that these days

• Registered Users Posts: 39,681 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On axl trademarking the name stay of execution I agree it's not a name of a side project and new band. Axl fought like **** to get the name and was determined to get the GNR name that he ain't giving it up for anything.

• Advertisement

Only just over 6mins, but WELL worth a watch

Only just over 6mins, but WELL worth a watch

That was actual class. That book reckless road is a great book as it's not taking one side the pictures tell the story and the set lists and all of it tell you the story of guns without it being skewed to be pro axl or pro slash. I love the book.

I know this one without watching it. As a favour from a guy the network owed they put the video for 'Welcome to the Jungle' on at 3am and the switchboard went mad, lit up, and everyone started requesting it.

I know this one without watching it. As a favour from a guy the network owed they put the video for 'Welcome to the Jungle' on at 3am and the switchboard went mad, lit up, and everyone started requesting it.

And those 4 and a half minutes of Welcome To The Jungle did GN'R and rock music at the time a massive favor, to think if Jungle hadn't aired, we wouldn't be here talking about them.

Also you got to hand it to Tom Zutaut for being persistent and believing in the band when nobody else would go near them.

Reading this thread earlier today and decided to listen to Chinese democracy this morning for the first time in ages. It wasn't that bad or as good as I remember. This I love is a great song btw. Simple and not over produced. Sorry is clearly about slash.

The 3rd part of Uproxx's mini documentary on GN'R

I'm not usually one to get carried away but these are very interesting quotes from Slash. Especially considering he has usually batted away questions over the last couple of years about a reunion...I would take it from these quotes that he and Axl have at the very least communicated in some form, be it through Duff or whoever.

I'm just waiting now for Axl to ruin all our hopes with some long, rambling statement saying this is all rubbish!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6560914/guns-n-roses-slash-reunion-axl-rose-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm not usually one to get carried away but these are very interesting quotes from Slash. Especially considering he has usually batted away questions over the last couple of years about a reunion...I would take it from these quotes that he and Axl have at the very least communicated in some form, be it through Duff or whoever.

I'm just waiting now for Axl to ruin all our hopes with some long, rambling statement saying this is all rubbish!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6560914/guns-n-roses-slash-reunion-axl-rose-interview

Axl's statement will probably be something along the lines of the waffle he came out with when he refused to take part in the RNRHOF show!?

• Advertisement

The only people who could drag Slash & Axl into the same room again would be either Marc Canter, Duff, or Izzy, also Slash saying ''We don't have all those issues anymore'', seems to underline that contact of some sort has been made, but i won't hold my breath for anything, sure the instrumental players are great, but Axl, it all comes down to Axl and how he sounds vocally, and last i checked he was middle of the road.

Plus i doubt Slash has forgotten some of the comments Axl made about him.

Advertisement