Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

Hi. I have a question re selling a car. I am looking to sell my 171 Ford Focus as I am moving abroad later in the summer. I was going to bring it back to the garage where I bought it as I was told that’s the best option. I have no experience selling or buying online. Any recommendations as to my best option? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's going to be very difficult to sell a high value car privately unless it is substantially cheaper than similar cars out there. There are over 100 2017 model Ford Focuses for sale on carzone.ie. You also have people who will buy in the UK making a substantial saving on buying one here. People also might avail of credit which can limit them to buying from dealers.

If you have plenty of time before you move abroad then try selling it privately but if your moving soon then selling back to the dealer may be the quickest and less hassle option though you most probably won't get the best price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I've a 08 1.6 petrol Mondeo that's been sitting idle for about 15 months
    218km on the clock. Tax out 4/17, NCT expired Jan 18
    What's my best option to sell it? What would it be worth?
    I know I should NCT it but if I could get rid of it without doing any major work and dropping the price, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I've a 08 1.6 petrol Mondeo that's been sitting idle for about 15 months
    218km on the clock. Tax out 4/17, NCT expired Jan 18
    What's my best option to sell it? What would it be worth?
    I know I should NCT it but if I could get rid of it without doing any major work and dropping the price, I would.

You wouldn't get rid of it without NCT. And even with it and in good visual condition otherwise you are not looking at more than a grand.

The 1.8 are known for burning massive amount of oil and failing on emissions. Repair is uneconomical. Rust might be an issue with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Selling my car at the moment, and buyer has recently moved over from France. Has said he would like to pay via bank transfer from his french account (as this is where he got his loan from and money still rests here). Is happy to do transfer in front of me, and give me copies of his ID, address etc. Is it possible to reverse or cancel a bank transfer once complete? Also wary all of this info could be faked.

Have been talking to him for around 3 weeks now, and he seems quite legit. Has been pushing me on price, requested pictures of service history etc. I could request details of his employment etc, but still not sure if I'm comfortable with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

wardides wrote: »
    Selling my car at the moment, and buyer has recently moved over from France. Has said he would like to pay via bank transfer from his french account (as this is where he got his loan from and money still rests here). Is happy to do transfer in front of me, and give me copies of his ID, address etc. Is it possible to reverse or cancel a bank transfer once complete? Also wary all of this info could be faked.

Have been talking to him for around 3 weeks now, and he seems quite legit. Has been pushing me on price, requested pictures of service history etc. I could request details of his employment etc, but still not sure if I'm comfortable with this?

Cash only

Cash only

Already told him to transfer it into his new irish account and withdraw the cash. Sale can wait 3 days, which he's agreed. Just wasn't sure if the above sounded alright or if I was being over cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Already told him to transfer it into his new irish account and withdraw the cash. Sale can wait 3 days, which he's agreed. Just wasn't sure if the above sounded alright or if I was being over cautious.

How did this go?

ciarsd wrote: »
    How did this go?

He oddly enough pulled out of the deal yesterday, so may have just been a very long winded chancer. Doing my head in as need car gone soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

He oddly enough pulled out of the deal yesterday, so may have just been a very long winded chancer. Doing my head in as need car gone soon!

Complete scam. Don't try buy or sell a car using bank transfers like this - a lot of people have been burned and lost cash as a result.

• Advertisement

There is also another scam: to depose a cheque - it will show up in your account, but disappear again when the cheque bounces back...

The safest way is to go with the buyer to your bank and let the buyer themselves depose the cash into your account. Don't touch the cash yourself. Teller will make sure the quote is correct, there are no fakes etc. And if there were fakes, it was the buyer that the Gardai will look for.

ciarsd wrote: »
    Complete scam. Don't try buy or sell a car using bank transfers like this - a lot of people have been burned and lost cash as a result.

Yeah I've had a couple of chancers but this one definitely seemed somewhat legit. Had been speaking to him for around 3 weeks, had arranged to view the car a couple of weeks ago and he couldn't make it. Then he was away for 2 weeks with his job, his other half text me (on whatsapp, and profile pictures added up). When he returned then was haggling over price, then wanted to view the car before he bought it etc.

Just seemed all very elaborate, as would think if it was a scam he would just meet first time with the money and try do the scam that way as opposed to dragging it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have a guy coming to view my car tomorrow. What’s the story with insurance for a test drive, should I inquire if he has ‘driving other cars’ cover on his policy or do you do a temp transfer or what is common?

Elessar wrote: »
    I have a guy coming to view my car tomorrow. What’s the story with insurance for a test drive, should I inquire if he has ‘driving other cars’ cover on his policy or do you do a temp transfer or what is common?

What's common is that nobody cares.

The buyer should transfer insurance or have the driving other cars extension. But the latter does not protect your car at all, the car driven is in 99% explicitly excluded

Sold the car this evening. Text one lad who was going to come up tomorrow that it had sold and got an aggressive text back calling me all sorts of names because I "knew he was coming up". Tempted to reply that I have no obligation to sell to him. Never once said I would keep the car for him. What should I do? Is this common, or was it bad form?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sold the car this evening. Text one lad who was going to come up tomorrow that it had sold and got an aggressive text back calling me all sorts of names because I "knew he was coming up". Tempted to reply that I have no obligation to sell to him. Never once said I would keep the car for him. What should I do? Is this common, or was it bad form?

Tell him - in no uncertain terms - to fuck right off.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Tell him - in no uncertain terms - to fuck right off.

That's what I was thinking. I want to tell him that so bad, but it would just start a nasty war of words. I'm going to totally ignore him unless he decides he hasn't finished being aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want to tell him that so bad, but it would just start a nasty war of words. I'm going to totally ignore him unless he decides he hasn't finished being aggressive.

Just ignore, if he wanted it so bad he should have wired a 10% deposit to you.

I normally use a burner SIM for car sales, you get the odd looper, usually those not actually buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

That's what I was thinking. I want to tell him that so bad, but it would just start a nasty war of words. I'm going to totally ignore him unless he decides he hasn't finished being aggressive.

If you don't want to hear any more from him you can always just block him. Personally I'd wind him up a bit first, but that's just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you don't want to hear any more from him you can always just block him. Personally I'd wind him up a bit first, but that's just me :)

People are strange. What's to stop him then going private number and spending his days and maybe night ringing and ringing.

Just leave it go. No point being petty when there is nothing to be gained and potentially lots to be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...corsa/19854784

Trying to sell this Vauxhall Corsa. May daughter had it for work placement last year but is now back in college and doesnt need it.
    Does the blocked number plate put people off? Price is comparatively low?
    Maybe it does not come up in searchers because it is a vauxhall and people are looking for Opels
    All suggestions gratefully recieved

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-cc-2010-dsg-auto-2-0tdi-140bhp/19865420

Not getting much action on this, all suggestions welcome. It's priced at the lower end of similar on DD

The price probably isn't the problem. The mileage will probably put a good few buyers off. Plus the location, your biggest customer base are places like Dublin, Cork, etc and most are not going to travel to Mayo for a car so your probably reliant on a local buyer to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-cc-2010-dsg-auto-2-0tdi-140bhp/19865420

Not getting much action on this, all suggestions welcome. It's priced at the lower end of similar on DD

I'd put in the ad the date/mileage timing belt was changed, I'd also put in the date/mileage it was last serviced. The tax on it is expired, I'd remove any mention of it. Perhaps put the mileage in miles rather than km's will make it look a little better.

Not providing the full details for the ad where it feeds in the NCT/write off/imported fields will put people off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sayno wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...corsa/19854784

Trying to sell this Vauxhall Corsa. May daughter had it for work placement last year but is now back in college and doesnt need it.
    Maybe it does not come up in searchers because it is a vauxhall and people are looking for Opels
    All suggestions gratefully recieved

Ad not working here

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa/19854784

Trying to sell this Vauxhall Corsa. My daughter had it for work placement last year but is now back in college and doesn't need it.
    All suggestions gratefully received

I'd get rid of that N plate from the windscreen and take new photos without it. The N plate gives the impression that it was used by a learner to pass their test in which could give a buyer a bad impression of the car getting a bit abused by it's previous owner. Mileage is also a bit above average for the year especially on a small car. Corsas in general do not have great resale values, there are lots of them for sale and most seem to have been rental cars at some stage which affects their image. I'd also list it as both Vauxhall/Opel, no point in leaving it out even though they are the same thing outside the badges.

You might also want to review the asking price, here is a facelift one with similar mileage being offered with a 12 month warranty for not much more. Your car needs to be significantly cheaper to tempt a buyer from buying from a dealer with a warranty.

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2036471&r=s.php%3Fm%3D63%26o%3D871%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Trying to sell this Vauxhall Corsa. My daughter had it for work placement last year but is now back in college and doesn't need it.

What would put me off is that it’s a base model, and you can buy with better spec in the uk and include VRT and travel for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Your ad say there are 0 previous owners, but yet its a UK import with Mayo reg selling in Galway.

Now you could very well have imported from new to your home address in Mayo and now live in Galway and if you did do this then you should clearly say this in add.

Otherwise I estimate about 3 owners in 3 years which does not look good. Why is no one keeping the car?

Also I am going to use my psychic powers and guess your reg number... (I have no idea anyway why you would hide it??)

It's coming to me now
    151MO2606

• Advertisement

Testing it early and getting 2 years NCT on it would also help.

Advertisement