Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s no reason for them to need it, if they’re in any doubt that you don’t have a valid ownership document then if you have it on donedeal, point them towards the fact that it’s green light verified.
    Don’t be afraid to walk away. If they’re interested in the car, they’ll come and see it, or at least just run a finance check using the reg, the way everyone else does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just wondering how others got on when selling their car privately - in terms of accepting payment.

My bank (KBC) makes this prospect difficult as they don't accept cash in my local branch (hub) and a cheque or bank draft lodged in my local 'hub' has to be sent off by them to their head office before being lodged into my account.... so a few days waiting for a draft to clear into my account, and an even longer time waiting for a cheque to clear.

A bank transfer still takes a day or 2 - so a buyer may not want to pay in advance before collecting a car. I wouldn't want to pay a random stranger in advance before picking up a car.

How would you go about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

How would you go about this??

Join a new bank. Honestly, one that doesn't accept cash and takes 2-3 days to process a transfer is just about as useless as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Join a new bank. Honestly, one that doesn't accept cash and takes 2-3 days to process a transfer is just about as useless as it gets.

I'm hardly going to join another bank to accommodate a one-off transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm hardly going to join another bank to accommodate a one-off transaction

Make yourself a favour and do it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Best place to (try) and sell a car for 20k? Ive already got the ad up on Donedeal and your patience would wear thin with the amount of stupid offers and even more stupid messages people send, and then the scammers roll in with their messages. Is DoneDeal the place to be?

mel123 wrote: »
    Best place to (try) and sell a car for 20k? Ive already got the ad up on Donedeal and your patience would wear thin with the amount of stupid offers and even more stupid messages people send, and then the scammers roll in with their messages. Is DoneDeal the place to be?

No... The best place is to find a dealer that will sell it for commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SpartanKiller

Need to sell my 131 Golf by mid June. How long do you think it would take to sell on average?

i know the answer is how long is a piece of string, but just looking for ballpark.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Stating the obvious here - depends on the price. Cheap - could be gone in 1 hour, expensive, it'll never sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Trying to sell a Ford Fiesta.
    unfortunately the only offer so far is Ron Fred, a spam mail agent, I got some fun out of the interaction but unfortunately no other interactions.
    I must be on the high side im thinking of price. was thinking between 10 and 11k and stuck it at the higher, but thinking of dropping it.
    any ideas please. I did update the pics to what I believe are better than the original.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/fiesta/2015-ford-fiesta/15421618

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/-fpa-201805176592633

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

rameire wrote: »
    Trying to sell a Ford Fiesta.
    unfortunately the only offer so far is Ron Fred, a spam mail agent, I got some fun out of the interaction but unfortunately no other interactions.
    I must be on the high side im thinking of price. was thinking between 10 and 11k and stuck it at the higher, but thinking of dropping it.
    any ideas please. I did update the pics to what I believe are better than the original.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/fiesta/2015-ford-fiesta/15421618

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/-fpa-201805176592633

Pictures are very over exposed. Lots of shine, glare and reflects.
    How long has it been up for sale? 11k isn't small cash for someone to be buying privately, on a car that's racked up a nice few miles in 3 years.
    What are similarly spec'd and milage private sales for that car listed for?

Does carzone add all those "extras" crap automatically? IMO it takes from any ad. Just list the actual extras if there are any.

IMO, Carzone for dealers, Donedeal for private sales, and adverts for people who don't want to pay the extra cost to donedeal but will later realise it was a waste and end up listing on Donedeal anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to review your asking price. Here is one being sold by a dealer with a warranty and nearly half the mileage for only 1k more and that's before a straight deal discount:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1778409&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D26%26o%5B%5D%3D252%26f%3D2%26yn%3D2015%26yx%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Trying to sell my C4. I've never sold a car privately before, so any changes I should make?

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/citroen/c4/2011-citroen-c4-vtr/15443323

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Pictures are very over exposed. Lots of shine, glare and reflects.
    How long has it been up for sale? 11k isn't small cash for someone to be buying privately, on a car that's racked up a nice few miles in 3 years.
    What are similarly spec'd and milage private sales for that car listed for?

Does carzone add all those "extras" crap automatically? IMO it takes from any ad. Just list the actual extras if there are any.

IMO, Carzone for dealers, Donedeal for private sales, and adverts for people who don't want to pay the extra cost to donedeal but will later realise it was a waste and end up listing on Donedeal anyways.

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.
    I will update the photos when there is less Sun.
    it is only up a week.
    Carzone does add all the fluff yes.
    Ive taken a donedeal add out aswell.
    I will update the price aswell based on the feedback.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Have the below ad up on Done deal/Adverts & Carzone! Any suggestions welcome, think it is priced reasonably when compared to cars of a similar spec.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/golf/2011-volkswagen-golf/15470132

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

rameire wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.
    I will update the photos when there is less Sun.
    it is only up a week.
    Carzone does add all the fluff yes.
    Ive taken a donedeal add out aswell.
    I will update the price aswell based on the feedback.

Best of luck with it. I sold my wifes car last year, but it was only for a few thousand. I was kinda surprised it didn't sell quicker, but perhaps I was naive. If you've a good ad and a competitive price, patience might be all you need.

wardides wrote: »
    Have the below ad up on Done deal/Adverts & Carzone! Any suggestions welcome, think it is priced reasonably when compared to cars of a similar spec.

No mention of documented service history. Most UK imports would have at least a partial service history from the UK.

bazz26 wrote: »
    No mention of documented service history. Most UK imports would have at least a partial service history from the UK.

Ah good spot, must have missed that in the description!

Yeah, that's important to buyers especially on a car with below average mileage for the year.

Is that not an Irish model?

Maybe redo some of the pictures, there’s 2 nearly identical pics of the rear of the car. Also the one with the doors open is unnecessary.
    I would aim to take 8 exterior pics. 4 taken dead on from all sides, and the other 4 showing the corners, so taken at 45 degree angle to the car if you know what I mean.

I would also suggest taking the pictures in landscape instead of portrait as the way you’re doing it makes the pictures end up smaller.

Consider using donedeal instead of or as well as adverts.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is that not an Irish model?

Maybe redo some of the pictures, there’s 2 nearly identical pics of the rear of the car. Also the one with the doors open is unnecessary.
    I would aim to take 8 exterior pics. 4 taken dead on from all sides, and the other 4 showing the corners, so taken at 45 degree angle to the car if you know what I mean.

I would also suggest taking the pictures in landscape instead of portrait as the way you’re doing it makes the pictures end up smaller.

Consider using donedeal instead of or as well as adverts.

The Golf is a UK import, even states it in the advert Colm. Should at least have the UK service history to the point of when it was imported here.

The Golf is a UK import, even states it in the advert Colm. Should at least have the UK service history to the point of when it was imported here.

But UK import mk6s have dials with mph only, and that one has km/h dials?

Maybe it originated over here or maybe the OP had the dials changed after they brought it in? Motorcheck says it's an import too.

Cheers for all the feedback. Have it up on both DoneDeal & Adverts (aswell as carzone, although not sure why I bothered). Have it priced reasonably well, only issue is there is a that many around there!

On the import status, I wasn't aware it was an import when I purchased it. It was only when I went to insure it that it came up. Spec seems to be higher than most irish models of same year (can easily tell by radio interface).

On the import status, I wasn't aware it was an import when I purchased it. It was only when I went to insure it that it came up. Spec seems to be higher than most irish models of same year (can easily tell by radio interface).

The logbook lists previous registration number if it was imported...

The reg seems very low for an import, even im MH. The dials also suggest it isn't. Nor motorcheck, nor cartell say it was imported...

It's an Irish car IMHVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

That Golf is an original Irish car and not a UK import as stated in the ad. Not sure who told you it was an import or why you believe that would mean it's a higher spec but I would change the ad if I were you. Have you ever looked at the book with the full service history that you mentioned?

The strange thing is that Motorcheck didn’t flag this car as an import. Then it did yesterday, then i did it just now and it doesn’t flag as an import. Most strange.

It's an odd one alright. Motorcheck is not showing it as an import now but it did yesterday when I checked. Cartell shows it as an Irish car but then lists it as a Golf SE Edition. SE would have been a UK spec.

Yep, when I purchased the car there was no mention of it being a UK import. But then when I ran a motorcheck it listed it as a UK import as well as when I went to try and insure the car I was told it was an import. Seems very strange all together.

• Advertisement

Where was it serviced? Any mention of a previous U.K. reg on the documentation or on the Motorcheck report?

Advertisement