Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Finished Week One! Mother of devine jesus I thought those 100 push ups were gonna kill me tonight! Now in fairness I carrying more weight than I should so they like weighted push ups but they the toughest part of week one anyway IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Finished Week One! Mother of devine jesus I thought those 100 push ups were gonna kill me tonight! Now in fairness I carrying more weight than I should so they like weighted push ups but they the toughest part of week one anyway IMO!

Good stuff!
    Yeah, the 100 push ups are tough alright.

What weight are you? What time you get them done in?
    I'm 100kg and got 7:20 in week 1, 5:28 in week 2 and 5:01 in week 3.

Just did Week 8, Day 1 this evenung.
    Got 85kg x 10 in the bench.

Am 107 KG!only really started lifting weights properly this year. was mucking about for few years, not really knowing what I was at ( not near knowing either or anything) but not following a programme! was going really well from Jan to June but got injured playing Gaa , the AC joint. Only really able back lifting in last month or so properly. Enjoted first week of the programme. Ive always been ****e at press ups..I actually couldnt get over my arms literally going from under me tonight trying to do the 100. I very nearly walked off after 70 but said fek it im be thick with myself when I got home. did it in 10 minutes, 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

BlueIsland wrote: »

Good your enjoying it. I'm Starting week 9 tomorrow and loving all the variation in exercises. Wait until you have to do the barbell push ups, 18 down to 1 as in drop a rep in each set until your left with 1 rep. I did the maths, 171 press ups all in all!

well i know its all about progression but i physically nearly got sick at the thoughts of that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

By the time I got to that part of the program, I actually found the BB push-ups to be far easier than the regular push-ups for time at the beginning. HOWEVER, when I went back to regular push-ups at the end of this program and afterwards, I found them significantly more difficult than the BB variation.

Quick question..prob both asked here and in the PDF but said id take lazy option and ask. Moving onto Day 1 of week Two tomorow.The bench and db press numbers are stipulated. but for the supersets and the barbell complex do you keep same weight as week one??? (because its more sets of the barbell complex for example)...thanks in advance!

Don't have it in front of me, but don't the super-sets have a lower rep range week to week? If that is correct, then I always upped the weight unless I failed to get the prescribed reps in the previous week.
    For the complexes, you could add weight, but here is the question I would ask myself: "how hard was the final set last week?" Because it will be even harder with the same weight this week.

nilster wrote: »
    Don't have it in front of me, but don't the super-sets have a lower rep range week to week? If that is correct, then I always upped the weight unless I failed to get the prescribed reps in the previous week.
    For the complexes, you could add weight, but here is the question I would ask myself: "how hard was the final set last week?" Because it will be even harder with the same weight this week.

yup spot on, the rep ranges drop from 4x15 week 1 to 4x12 week two. just checked now. will up the superset weight. think ill leave the barbell complex though cos one extra set is added and i was lamped by the end of last one last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Week 11 - The new 1 rm test

Not sure if my weight has changed , but its prob a mix of shredding BF with the finishers and a little extra muscle
    Week 1 weight 81 kgs
    Week 11 weight 81.5 kgs

Week 1 - 1rm was 120kgs
    so 90% was 108 rounded to 110kgs - struggled for 3 reps

Week 11 - went
    60kgs @ 12 reps
    80kgs @ 8 reps
    100kgs @ 3 reps
    110kgs @ 3 reps
    115kgs @ 3 reps

Then went for new 1rm @ 122.5kgs and got 1 clean, 1 very slight spot and bit more of spot on 3rd

Overall I think my chest and shoulders benefited the most , If I start it again I would add a little more back/lats in

Great program though , it really makes my old routine seem so boring - not sure where to go next though , any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

Any reason not to go through this one again with your new maxes? Possibly even changing the main movements on Days 1 and 2 if you feel like doing something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

You could give WS4SB a go. The same structure but you have the freedom to choose the movements you want to do.

Personally I think I'll do 10 weeks of a bodybuilding routing of some kind. Maybe DC or volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm just starting BLABA, working from home so I don't have some of the equipment required. Can anyone suggest possible replqcements?

Seated overhand cable row - bent over rows?
    Cable tricep pushdowns - standing tricep extensions? (overhead)
    45 degree back raises - ??

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

I'm just starting BLABA, working from home so I don't have some of the equipment required. Can anyone suggest possible replqcements?

45 degree back raises - ??

My gym doesn't have a back raise machine so I did Good Mornings instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Arctic89 wrote: »
    My gym doesn't have a back raise machine so I did Good Mornings instead.

Perfect, didn't think of those,
    thanks.

45 degree back raises - ??[/Quote]

BB rows: sure, just remember the purpose of the assistance work, and don't go too heavy.
    Triceps: overhead or prone extensions with a barbell or dumbell(s).
    Lower back: yes to GM's, but again keep the weight reasonable and work the muscle instead of the movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

was meant to start week 7 last but missed the whole week due to work, decided to claw back some time by doing week 7 days 1&2 this morning.
    i think i might regret it tommorow...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

This plan looks ideal for my goals for next year however I have had a long layoff (1 year) from training due to a back injury. Can anyone recommend a plan (4 to 8 weeks) which I could do to get me into a position to start BLAB? Or could I just start anyway with lower 1RM?

I have been doing cardio in the intervening period but would not class myself as 'fit'.

Have been lifting weights for 15 years on and off.

Maybe test your current 1RM on the upper and lower ME movements you want to use, and test your max reps on chins and then jump right in?

I had very little weight lifting experience, and hadn't lifted in 6+ years. I only did 3 months of WS4SB before starting this, and that's basically the same thing with far less guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mobile w

i had a similar issue as you with starting the programme after a decent break off. i jumped straight in and after a while (i suppose when muscle memory kicked in or whatever) my 1rm were far too low so redid them on the deload week(5) and continued on with week 6. found it very difficult thereafter so maybe give yourself a week two and see if you can get a decent guage of you maxes.

im just finishing it up now and really enjoyed it and am going to start it again when i finish.

one question though, i had been doing deadlifts as my max effort lift on days 2 and want to switch it to squats for this time around. problem is i only have access to a smith machine for this in my gym.

would you still get good work out of squating on a smith or is it not considered a compound movement in practical terms? are there any health reasons why i shouldnt do it? ive heard about it being potentially detrimental to your knees.

• Advertisement

MW, I'm glad you're running the program again. I hope you keep us informed, as I haven't seen anyone run it more than once. I myself am expecting to run it again next year so I'd love to see feedback from someone else that's been through it more than once.

Regarding using a machine for an ME movement; it seems inadvisable. The machine simply reduces the complexity of the movement, and therefore reduces the benefits. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions for you besides more deadlift variations. You can see the list of movements Defranco likes to use at webpages such as this one. But if you're dead set on squatting, I'm not sure that helps. I've heard people talk about using a bench press set-up to do squats, but I've neve done it or seen it, and, frankly, it sounds like a Good Morning waiting to happen.

Hopefully someone else here has some more recommendations on how to Squat without a stand or rack.

How big is your squat? Can you clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mobile w

havent squatted before because we dont have a rack but was planning on trying it out on the smith this week at some stage. my deadlift max was 160 at the end of the programme and no ive never learned to clean unfortunately. is the idea to learn to clean and front squat? ive not tried them before either!

mobile w wrote: »

havent squatted before because we dont have a rack but was planning on trying it out on the smith this week at some stage. my deadlift max was 160 at the end of the programme and no ive never learned to clean unfortunately. is the idea to learn to clean and front squat? ive not tried them before either!

Yeah, that would have been the idea.
    Clean the weight & then front squat it.
    Or clean it, jerk/press over head and lower behind the neck for back squats which is obviously awkward.

Got a 105kg front squat this evening in week 11 day 2 for a 15kg PR.

Max 11 weeks ago was 90kg

Warm ups went
    20 x 2 x 5
    40 x 4 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 3
    70 x 3
    80 x 1
    90 x 1
    100 x 1 - ugly ass rep.
    105 x 1 ugly but better than the 100.

Gotta really work on my upper back, and on my elbows in the rack position coming out of the bottom of the squat.

Huge thanks to Wayne in ECB for helping me in my technique which is improving (v slowly)

BW this evening - 101kg.

In week 5. Its a deload week. Didnt get to go gym today. Usually I break it into Thursday,rest, Saturday, rest,Monday,rest,rest.
    Missed today- beyond my control.
    Thinking doing the deload upper and lower body workouts tomorow together. Cos cant really go saturday to gym. So do the third deload workout Sunday and back into week 6 on Tuesday.
    Would leave it like this:
    Bench 2x5
    Squat 2x5
    Flat DB press 2x15
    Squat jumps 2x6
    seated cable rows 2x15
    back raises 2x10
    db shrugs 2x10
    med ball twists 2x10
    Barbell complex (just with bar) one set
    20 minutes steady state cardio

All these only at 50-60 % of max.

Should be ok do these in one session yeh?

BI, or just do one set of each to save time. It's only a deload.

MW, I read recently about Steinborn Squats. Could be a solution to your no-rack problem that MAY allow for more weight than clean-to-front squats. If you have strong collars or clamps.

Finished the programme this evening.
    Really really enjoyed it I have to say.
    Made progress in every lift. Put on a but of weight - 2kg & am definitely leaner than 3 months ago.

Increases:
    Front squat increased by 15kg
    Bench by 10kg
    Pull ups by 7 reps, from 18 up to 25.
    Push ups up by 3 reps, from 41 to 44 with no break between reps.

Will definitely run this programme again in the future.

Now it's gonna be 3 weeks of messing around & then gonna give a programme of Dave Kirschen's a Craic for 10 weeks from Jan 2nd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Increases:
    Front squat increased by 15kg
    Bench by 10kg
    Pull ups by 7 reps, from 18 up to 25.
    Push ups up by 3 reps, from 41 to 43 with no break between reps.

Will definitely run this programme again in the future.

Now it's gonna be 3 weeks of messing around & then gonna give a programme of Dave Kirschen's a Craic for 10 weeks from Jan 2nd.

Maths fail.

Other than that good progress. Saw the pull ups on facebook very good.

• Advertisement

Maths fail.

Other than that good progress. Saw the pull ups on facebook very good.

44 reps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQPm2zgJP8

Thanks for pointing out the error.

Advertisement