Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Jeez.

I'm getting in the background of a lot of videos these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

25 pulls ups are 192kg is pretty impressive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Right ill have week 8th completed by Dec 23rd! From 24th to 1st I have weddings, dinner dances, races etc etc...I am gonna get to gym three times in that period but cos of drinking and that Ill be doing Im thinking maybe repeating week 8 of programme in that time period.Instead of trying to hit bigger numbers and that hungover and generally in bits. Ill then go fresh into week 9 in the first week of January. What ye think?Anyone done anything similar??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pharmag

Hi, I'm planning on starting this program in Janurary when back in college and from reading this forum it seems to be very well regarded. I was just wondering if someone could give me advice on one aspect of it:
    Although I'm a regular gym goer (4/5 times a week), I have always struggled with chin-ups and push-ups. My max sets for the two exercises are 4 and 8 respectively. I'm just wondering if I would be better off going for the higher rep pull-ups or the more beneficial chin-ups?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

why are chin ups more benficial?

you said you can do 4 chin ups and 8 push ups.

how many pull ups can you do?

• Advertisement

Apologies, I meant 8 pull-ups!
    I always felt that chin-ups gave a more complete work-out, ie. they cover lats, traps, shoulders and biceps. Whereas pull-ups seem to be more just biceps.

Also, and I know it sounds simple, but chin-ups are harder than pull-ups and hence I thought more beneficial. When you did the program Liam, which one did you do?

pharmag wrote: »
    I always felt that chin-ups gave a more complete work-out, ie. they cover lats, traps, shoulders and biceps. Whereas pull-ups seem to be more just biceps.

chin ups are more biceps dominant than pull ups.
    pull ups should hit your lats more, especially in a wide grip position.

for the purpose of the Built like a badass porgramme, Id use the pull figure of 8 as the focus of the programme is to build up your pull ups volume over time,

Like in week 11, you do your max plus 80%, so if you have a max of 4, that means 4 + 3 for a total of 7 reps, whereas if you use the max of 8, that means 8 + 7 so 15 reps

Also, and I know it sounds simple, but chin-ups are harder than pull-ups and hence I thought more beneficial. When you did the program Liam, which one did you do?

id agree with you to a point here.

I find pull ups way easier than chin ups.
    but i kip my pull ups, which allowed me to knock out 25 pull ups there last week.
    Id probably struggle to do 10 dead hang chins at 102kg BW.

I did pull ups for the de franco programme.

My pull ups went from 18 to 25

That makes sense! I always believed that the chin-ups the program mentions were wide-grip and that pull-ups would be narrow grip. So just to clarify, did you do narrow or wide grip pull-ups?

• Advertisement

I did wide grip.
    well outside my shoulder width

Thanks for your help Liam! Very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Always found pull ups harder than chin ups - range of motion with pull ups seems more limited

Worth experimenting and see what suits you best - also try neutral grip pull ups if the pull up station has the two handles attached to the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I find dead hang wide grip pullups far more difficult than chins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Almost everyone's gonna find pull ups harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm on week 4 at the moment. I'm doing squats. Decided to test my deadlift 1RM yesterday and its up 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Started this on Monday, day 2 today wasn't too bad. Still sore from day 1 though! Not looking forward to day 3. Both chins and push ups - starting weight on monday 117kg. Not going to be fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Should there be a days rest in between each workout day? Should I stay away from the gym on the off days? What kind of work can be supplemented on the off days? I couldnt find this in the programme intro...

I've read lots of poor reviews on the programme but am going to give it a go anyway, just to stick to a programme as much as anything else really, as I havent done a proper programme before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Should there be a days rest in between each workout day? Should I stay away from the gym on the off days? What kind of work can be supplemented on the off days? I couldnt find this in the programme intro...

I've read lots of poor reviews on the programme but am going to give it a go anyway, just to stick to a programme as much as anything else really, as I havent done a proper programme before.

yea of course there should be a rest day, I have 2 rest days before working out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Check out the questions at the end. In particular page 18.

I added in light cardio 2 days a week as well. I'm restarting the program next week after being unable to complete it at the end of last year due to repeated chest and throat infections. just tested my maxes this week and was a little dissapointed at them. although I didn't do a tap since early December

• Advertisement

I ran it like this:
    Monday - Day 1
    Wednesday - Day 2
    Friday - Day 3

I did light conditioning on Tuesday & Thursday & Sunday mornings & Sat was complete rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I ran it like this:
    Monday - Day 1
    Wednesday - Day 2
    Friday - Day 3

I did light conditioning on Tuesday & Thursday & Sunday mornings & Sat was complete rest

What did the light conditioning involve out of interest?

colman1212 wrote: »
    I ran it like this:
    Monday - Day 1
    Wednesday - Day 2
    Friday - Day 3

What did the light conditioning involve out of interest?

Tuesday & Thursday were 2-3 10 min conditioning blocks.
    Rounds of simple exercises like DB rows, push ups, lunges etc & try to get through as many rounds as possible. I generally didn't push these too hard.

Sunday's were harder - hill sprints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Cool. Im a bit bored with my current program, so much so ive been terrible for logging recently. Think I'll start this program monday. Its something new and looks interesting. I'm a big fan of defranco too. Seems to be very well respected amongst professional athletes.

colman1212 wrote: »
    Cool. Im a bit bored with my current program, so much so ive been terrible for logging recently. Think I'll start this program monday. Its something new and looks interesting. I'm a big fan of defranco too. Seems to be very well respected amongst professional athletes.

Have you tested the lifts?
    Have you decided on whether you'll do bench/incline bench on Day 1?
    Squat/Deadlift Day 2?
    Chin ups/pull ups/neutral grip chin ups?
    Are you gonna do the 1mile run on day 2 or do a 2km row?

Best of luck with the programme, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How is everyone eating while on this programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to weights, but I'm looking to bulk up a bit.

I've gone to the gym infrquently over the last 6 months but I always just use machine weights at a pretty low setting. I have no experience with free weights but I am seriously looking to gain some weight as I have a pretty ridiculous metabolism, I have always eaten what I want when I want and generally stay the same weight. Would this be suitable for a newbie to weights? I've had a look through the .pdf and I don't understand the majority of what is being said. I'd love to hire a PT just to get a general understanding of all the stuff but I can see that being a tad expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Lukker- wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for a newbie to weights? I've had a look through the .pdf and I don't understand the majority of what is being said.

Then the answer is no unfortunately...the whole programme is built around free weights, so technique is key otherwise it'll just break you.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd love to hire a PT just to get a general understanding of all the stuff but I can see that being a tad expensive.

I'd say that would be a good call. Find a local PT, I see you're in Galway so you could touch base with a trainer here called d-gal (no idea of exact location), explain you want to learn basic free weight technique. This should be achievable within a couple of sessions, he can then assess whether a programme like that would be suitable for you. In terms of the expense, one or two quality sessions with a good PT is an investment and often works out less than a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

@liamhenners How many cals a day were you taking while doing the program, cheers

• Advertisement

Brendygg wrote: »
    @liamhenners How many cals a day were you taking while doing the program, cheers

3200-3400 cals per day

Advertisement