Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

Hard to say, Hank. I would say if you do more reps per set, rest more, and vice versa.

One thing I do now with both chins and dips is to track what I weigh in the gym that day and track my projected 1RM instead of focusing on just rep count. Obivously, people don't usually try to test actual 1RM in movements like these, but it helps me to track progress on these lifts as my BW changes a lot depending on where my focus is in training. I don't know if that's any help on this particular program, however, as it's more about stimulating chin strength with actual chins, but increasing chin strength with accessory work.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

nilster wrote: »
    Hard to say, Hank. I would say if you do more reps per set, rest more, and vice versa.

One thing I do now with both chins and dips is to track what I weigh in the gym that day and track my projected 1RM instead of focusing on just rep count. Obivously, people don't usually try to test actual 1RM in movements like these, but it helps me to track progress on these lifts as my BW changes a lot depending on where my focus is in training. I don't know if that's any help on this particular program, however, as it's more about stimulating chin strength with actual chins, but increasing chin strength with accessory work.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Would you say it's ok to start if you've never worked out before?

I think this program is overly complicated for a rank beginner. I say that because it's got elaborate assistance work that could distract you from the point of the workouts, for example focusing on Zottman curls or something to the point you neglect what's really important.

IMO, I would look at something like 531 full-body to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

just finished the program.

Weight - 78 kgs

Deadlift - went from 110kg to 130kg

Bench - went from 90kgs to 102.5

Pull Ups - 6 to 11

enjoyed the program and the assistance work. Thinking of moving onto Madcow next , and run this again end of summer.

• Advertisement

Let us know if you test your Squat, and what the results were from only Deadlifting on the program. I Squatted on the program, and found my DL had gone up afterwards.*

*Results may vary.

Just finishing week 4 of the program and I have been enjoying it immensely.
    The deload week: Is it worth it or would it be just the same to take a week off?

Depends. Are you feeling beat up/sore/tired all the time, are you having more trouble than usual sleeping and/or waking up, and do you dread the idea of going into the gym?

If so, then maybe skip the week. If not, it might be worth it to maintain discipline and go ahead and get into the gym that week.

Depends. Are you feeling beat up/sore/tired all the time, are you having more trouble than usual sleeping and/or waking up, and do you dread the idea of going into the gym?

If so, then maybe skip the week. If not, it might be worth it to maintain discipline and go ahead and get into the gym that week.

No, I'm sleeping well and like going to the gym. I'm feeling sore the day after each session but nothing unbearable. I was just wondering as to the benefit of the deload week as I wouldn't break my discipline as regards to diet. I also play football twice a week so it's not as if I'd be taking the whole week off. I thought it would be a chance to recharge the batteries and have the evenings to myself for a week. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Lads I'm starting this program on Monday but was wondering before starting the program it says to find the 'true' max. Does this mean I do just 1 off squat, deadlift or benchpress to see what i can lift?

(Sorry if this questions been asked before).

• Advertisement

Hank, I would say it's largely individual, and hard to predict. It's easy to say it might not be a big deal. On the othe hand, looking back at just the deload weeks as programmed, there's still an opportunity for a bit of hypertrophy and core work with the programming for those weeks. Just looking at Week 5, on Day 1, I see 40 reps of pressing and 50 reps of upper back work. On Day 2, I see 60 reps of core stimulation between the squat work and the direct core work. On Day 3, I see a lot of biceps work between the chins and 100 curls, and 50 reps of shoulder work. If you're feeling good, why miss out on that?

Ant, there are several ways to go about deteriming a 1RM. What's best for you depends on several factors. I would just google "finding your 1 rep max," and look at all the various options and figure out what makes the most sense for you.

Hank, I would say it's largely individual, and hard to predict. It's easy to say it might not be a big deal. On the othe hand, looking back at just the deload weeks as programmed, there's still an opportunity for a bit of hypertrophy and core work with the programming for those weeks. Just looking at Week 5, on Day 1, I see 40 reps of pressing and 50 reps of upper back work. On Day 2, I see 60 reps of core stimulation between the squat work and the direct core work. On Day 3, I see a lot of biceps work between the chins and 100 curls, and 50 reps of shoulder work. If you're feeling good, why miss out on that?

When you put it like that I think I'll do the deload week. Cheers.
    Ant11 wrote: »
    Lads I'm starting this program on Monday but was wondering before starting the program it says to find the 'true' max. Does this mean I do just 1 off squat, deadlift or benchpress to see what i can lift?

(Sorry if this questions been asked before).

I used a 1 rep max calculator on the internet for testing my bench. It calculated from the max weight I could do five reps for.

As for deadlift I just tested the max I could lift after loads of warmup sets. And kept going until I couldn't rep any higher. Probably not the best methods but I have found them good so far.

Ant, there are several ways to go about deteriming a 1RM. What's best for you depends on several factors. I would just google "finding your 1 rep max," and look at all the various options and figure out what makes the most sense for you.

Another question if you don't mind Nilster. I a regular gym goer myself and just thought I'd try this program for a change. A friend of mine has started coming to the gym with me and am wondering would this program be right for him?

He's 19/20 stone, over weight and wants to loose weight but is afraid to do weight programs incase he gets bigger or bulk on muscle. He sick of the laborious cardio workouts and has no motivation. Compared to me he would have no weight training background but I'm wondering if I got him doing this with me it might motivate him. But would it be suitable for him as he's fairly over weight??

I used a 1 rep max calculator on the internet for testing my bench. It calculated from the max weight I could do five reps for.

As for deadlift I just tested the max I could lift after loads of warmup sets. And kept going until I couldn't rep any higher. Probably not the best methods but I have found them good so far.

Cheers Hank I'll suss that 1 rm out. Did you include the weight of the bar in your max rep???

As for the deadlifts I'll be fairly low anyway as I've dodgy knees so I'll be taking it easy with them.

Looking forward to trying something new.

Ant, if he has no motivation then you've got a hard row to hoe.

All I can really tell you is what worked for me:
    I decided I needed to do something about what was happening with my body.
    I knew that doing tons of cardio and some half-assed, Flex-magazine machine weight workouts had not done much for me in the past.
    I accepted the fact that muscle takes up less volume than an equal amount of fat (this may be eye opening for your friend).
    I decided to focus on getting stronger, and increasing performance/conditioning, and not focus on what was happening in the mirror.
    I never looked back.

Ant, if he has no motivation then you've got a hard row to hoe.

All I can really tell you is what worked for me:
    I decided I needed to do something about what was happening with my body.
    I knew that doing tons of cardio and some half-assed, Flex-magazine machine weight workouts had not done much for me in the past.
    I accepted the fact that muscle takes up less volume than an equal amount of fat (this may be eye opening for your friend).
    I decided to focus on getting stronger, and increasing performance/conditioning, and not focus on what was happening in the mirror.
    I never looked back.

Sound advise Nilster cheers:D

Sure I suppose if I can get him to at lest try it. If it doesn't work he hasn't lost anything he will still be in the same situation he is in now.

Cheers Hank I'll suss that 1 rm out. Did you include the weight of the bar in your max rep???

As for the deadlifts I'll be fairly low anyway as I've dodgy knees so I'll be taking it easy with them.

Looking forward to trying something new.

Ya, always include the bar.
    Well it's deadlift, squat or whatever variation you choose to do.
    Good luck with it. Word of warning: The complex is a killer.

Well, finished day1 of this yesterday and the body is seriously feeling it today but I enjoyed the variation all the same.

The Barbell Complex (deadlifts, bent rows, hang cleans, push press, back squat): 2 sets. Perform 10 reps of each exercise. Rest 90 sec. b/t sets.

Am I right in saying I was to superset these 5 exercises rest for 90 sec and go again??

That's right.

• Advertisement

That's right.

No wonder I'm in bits today:D. Plus my recovery time is worst because I'm broke so can't afford protein supplement so its hard trying to get enough intake from food.

I'm a big fan of full-fat, plain, greek-style yogurt mixed with almond or peanut butter. A lot of calories and good macros in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Agree with Nilster, the greek Yoghurt and nut butter combo is great for getting calories in. Bit of cocoa powder to flavour if you like.

Aldi do the pots for €1, thats 750 Cals right there.

Do yis know what's sort of protein content you get outa that? or does it depend how much almonds you mix with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Let us know if you test your Squat, and what the results were from only Deadlifting on the program. I Squatted on the program, and found my DL had gone up afterwards.*

*Results may vary.

squat has gone from 100kg to 110kg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Do yis know what's sort of protein content you get outa that? or does it depend how much almonds you mix with it?

There's about 24g of protein in the full tub

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I am on week 4 now,
    Still doing training on days I am not doing the program but today was day one of week 4 and the final complex was really tough,I could only do 2 sets and I was shagged.

I'm going to do Week 6 day 2 today and I have read through it and realised that I have never done a kneeling jump before. Anyone got any tips or alternate exercises I could do if I can't do one?
    Also, there is skipping at the end. Could this be replaced by squat jumps if there is no skipping rope to be found?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gymcub

I wouldnt mind either actually

• Advertisement

On week-3 doing day 3 on Friday but my gym doesn't have that neutral grip handle to change from the normal lat pulldown bar. Any ideas what I could use instead? or could I just hold the normal bar with my hands together, which would simulate near enough the same movement.

Front Lat Pulldowns (Neutral Grip): 2 x Max Reps (20-25 Reps 1st Set, 10-20 2nd Set)

Advertisement