Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

Ha! Thanks for the thorough response! I appreciate you taking the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How does 5/3/1 for PL differ from 5/3/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hanley wrote: »
    How does 5/3/1 for PL differ from 5/3/1?

essentially, its not so much 5/3/1 as 3/5/1

same idea of a 4 week cycle where week 4 is a deload.

IN week one, you work up to hit a 3+ for reps
    In week two, you work up to a 5 for reps and only hit 5
    In week 3, you work up to a 1+ for reps and (I think the %ages are slightly higher here so as to have a benefit in comp terms.

The rationale behind not going balls out on week 2 is that you recover from going balls out after week 1 while not emptying the tank completely for going balls out in week 3.

I feel a little guilty about this. I ended up finding this board because I was doing Built Like a Badass and had a hell of a time finding any discussion of the program, and now I feel like I've hijacked this with 5/3/1.

nilster wrote: »
    I feel a little guilty about this. I ended up finding this board because I was doing Built Like a Badass and had a hell of a time finding any discussion of the program, and now I feel like I've hijacked this with 5/3/1.

The inital conversation ran its course and is still there if people want to talk about the BLABASS programme.

Dont feel guilty at all. I think its a great thing that these topics are coming up.
    Beats the hell out of talking about where to get the cheapest protein and the cheapest dumbbells and the cheapest personal trainers away!

• Advertisement

In week 3, you work up to a 1+ for reps and (I think the %ages are slightly higher here so as to have a benefit in comp terms.

The rationale behind not going balls out on week 2 is that you recover from going balls out after week 1 while not emptying the tank completely for going balls out in week 3.

Makes sense in theory!

Makes sense in theory!

yeah, like Communism.

You willing to try it out?
    Cause I sure aint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

doesnt he also recommend to hit a couple of heavy single (95%ish) after the 3+ day and 1+

dave80 wrote: »
    doesnt he also recommend to hit a couple of heavy single (95%ish) after the 3+ day and 1+

probably, I thought I had alluded to that on the 1 day, forgot about the three day, cheers Dave

Yeah, I think he adds heavy singles twice a week. Also BB curls appear as recommended assistance work out of nowhere!

• Advertisement

curls help elbows

Curl often, curl well!

And does the biceps aid in the bench as well? I've seen that mentioned, but not explained a couple of times recently. Is it because the biceps crosses the shoulder and assists somewhat in raising the arm/forward flexion of the shoulder joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Currently running 5/3/1 for my squat and press (I've stopped benching and running the magnusson/ortmayer routine for deads). I'm finding it fine at the moment as it's pretty straightforward as I'm able to get in, do the work sets and accessory stuff and I'm out in time for work.

Could anyone elaborate on why I should be going all out on the final sets? I've worked out what reps I need to hit on the specific days (eg: Week 1 is around 10-11 reps) to advance the following week or to the next cycle.

Would stopping the "all out" sets and replacing them with say an extra 3+ sets of 3/5 at the same weight be a better decision?

I've worked out what reps I need to hit on the specific days (eg: Week 1 is around 10-11 reps) to advance the following week or to the next cycle.

I'm not totally clear on what that means, sorry.

As far as "all out" sets, and I've just started this program, so I'm far from an expert, but it seems that you're actually intended to only do this once or twice a week. Not every session. For instance, after I completed Defranco's "Built Like a Badass," my Deadlift was way out in front of my squat even though I'd been doing squats and NOT Deadlifts for the 3 months I was on that program. So I've decided to make Squats the movement I target for my "all out" sets every week. Similarly, I enjoy Presses, but everyone talks about how long they take to progress, so I'm going to plan on going "all out" on those at least once or twice in my first few cycles, but not necessarily every week because I want to make sure I'm saving my best for Squats. For Pulls and Bench, if I'm having a great day and everything feels light, I might go all out on my top set, but I'm not planning on it beforehand.

Does that make sense? Anyone else have a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Sound. Figured I had to squeeze as many reps out on the final sets each week.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

i've stopped using this programme for the last week or two. found I wasn't getting any stronger and was actually weaker in some lifts than I had been at the start.

using a more personalised programme now. Think BLAB is still a good tool but didn't really fit with my goals in weight training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

JonnyF wrote: »
    i've stopped using this programme for the last week or two. found I wasn't getting any stronger and was actually weaker in some lifts than I had been at the start.

using a more personalised programme now. Think BLAB is still a good tool but didn't really fit with my goals in weight training

What were your goals ?

Im on week 9 and have gone from struggling with 2 reps of 110kg on the bench in week 1 to 3 clean of 110kg this week

chances are you would get weaker in the likes of incline/decline bench cause its not really done for the 12 weeks

It didn't fit your goal, which was presumably to get stronger?

It didn't fit your goal, which was presumably to get stronger?

pretty much. had a strength test in the rugby club and was down in a lot of my lifts. i was following the programme exactly but i seemed to have gone backwards so I've chucked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

You clearly need to try the Strong like a Strongass program instead...

• Advertisement

i seemed to have gone backwards so I've chucked it.

You chucked a programme 3 weeks into a 12 week programme?

Then you didn't do the programme and can't say whether it was good or bad cause you only did 25% of it

You chucked a programme 3 weeks into a 12 week programme?

Then you didn't do the programme and can't say whether it was good or bad cause you only did 25% of it

i got to week 8 on the programme when we had the strength tests and was disappointed with my results so i changed things up. it's not really a strength programme anyway so i'm not sure what I was expecting from it but knowing some of de franco's other stuff i assumed it would. it seems to be mainly aimed at people who aren't playing serious sport right now "washed up meatheads" or people who don't have massive amounts of time to commit to it.

it's my own fault, i'll be honest i really liked the name of it and it read very well but it just didn't work for me. i'm not knocking it for anyone else doing it, just didn't work for me.

i've got ws4sb on pdf and i plan on doing that this off season, it's a more intensive programme with a lot more focus on improving performance and strength so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. Moving clubs this summer too so won't be able to use the current S+C coach for my off season work, this will give me some structure. i'll do a log on it once I kick it off in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

it's not really a strength programme anyway so i'm not sure what I was expecting

it seems to be mainly aimed at people who aren't playing serious sport right now "washed up meatheads" or people who don't have massive amounts of time to commit to it.

Troll Alert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its not a strength program why does it get you to exceed your 1rm on week 12 ?

The aim of the program is to minimise time in the gym to 3 weights sessions a week so ya have time for other training

Are ya trolling or have ya actually read any of the intro or program or just a bit slow on the uptake ?

dario28 wrote: »

If its not a strength program why does it get you to exceed your 1rm on week 12 ?

The aim of the program is to minimise time in the gym to 3 weights sessions a week so ya have time for other training

Are ya trolling or have ya actually read any of the intro or program or just a bit slow on the uptake ?

no i'm not trolling.

in the intro Joe actually uses the phrase "washed up meatheads",

Look I'm not trying to rubbish the whole thing just giving my experience of it which was that it didn't really work for me that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

in the intro Joe actually uses the phrase "washed up meatheads"

I believe he's being what's known as 'tongue in cheek'.

I believe he's being what's known as 'tongue in cheek'.

so was i, hence the parentheses. sorry if i've offended anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Richie01

Could someone be kind enough to send me this programme.
    Thanks

Thanks for the pm I'll give this a go

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dario28 wrote: »

?

It's a general program with strength training elements, but its isn't a pure strength program. I see anything wrong pointing that out.

I'm currently doing a different Defranco program, i chose this one over BLABA as I elt it was more geared towards increasing 1RM, ot rather there was more room for adjustment to gear it towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Are people generally feeling like they've pushed themselves a lot after the ME exercise?

I'm not really, and I'm afraid I might have underestimated my 1RM - I didn't test it, I just guessed. For the bench press, for instance, I can get more reps out in the last set than the numbers it says to do for the previous two sets.

I'm in week three at the moment, and am not sure if I should consider raising my estimation of my 1RM at this point. Mainly for the bench and squat.

• Advertisement

On week 3, I got 7 reps on my last set of bench. My final reps on bench day went like this in order from week 1 through week 11: 5, 7, 7, 6, Deload, 11, 10, 10, 10, Deload, 1 (of course), and then the rep test in week 12.

I added about 25lbs. to my previous best. Also, I did Squats for Lower Day with similar rep results on the final sets, and when I completed the program my Deadlift had actually gone up quite a bit as well. Just my results, mind you, but my main point is you might not need to worry about getting high-reps.

Advertisement