Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

discus wrote: »
    Don't know if serious Liamhenners...

Have you not seen glassman give talks?

Im not defending glassman.
    I listened to him $hiting on about something on a youtube video for 15 seconds and turned it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Im not defending glassman.
    I listened to him $hiting on about something on a youtube video for 15 seconds and turned it off.

How does one class the magnitude of the extent to which Liam appears to have not gotten the joke?

That paragraph makes little to no sense to me.

The phrase "clusterf*CK" comes to mind!
    Hanley wrote: »
    How does one class the magnitude of the extent to which Liam appears to have not gotten the joke?

I understand the idea, and why others might find it funny.
    I just dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

Only 2 days left on the program for me. The talking points are:
    In my mid-30's
    Only started training in the last year (NOVICE RESULTS WARNING)
    Ran WS4SB for 10 weeks, threw my back out and switched to BLAB
    Bench went from 155lbs.X2 to 185lbs.X1
    Squat went from 205X3, to 250X1
    Chins went from BWX1 to BWX8

The only reason I'm not immediately running this program again right away, is that I miss the Deadlifting and OH Pressing I was able to incorporate in WS4SB. But the experience has taught me that I still need the structure of a % progressions guide, so I will run 531 for the next 5 months (i.e. winter). However, I fully intend to keep this program in my arsenal. I may run it again this time next year. If so, I will choose the weaker of my lifts between Bench/OHP and Squat/Dead, and run it for those.

My full log is here.

• Advertisement

columok wrote: »

dear god, he talks some brown.

he;s in some shape too.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

nilster wrote: »
    Only 2 days left on the program for me. The talking points are:
    In my mid-30's
    Only started training in the last year (NOVICE RESULTS WARNING)
    Ran WS4SB for 10 weeks, threw my back out and switched to BLAB
    Bench went from 155lbs.X2 to 185lbs.X1
    Squat went from 205X3, to 250X1
    Chins went from BWX1 to BWX8

The only reason I'm not immediately running this program again right away, is that I miss the Deadlifting and OH Pressing I was able to incorporate in WS4SB. But the experience has taught me that I still need the structure of a % progressions guide, so I will run 531 for the next 5 months (i.e. winter). However, I fully intend to keep this program in my arsenal. I may run it again this time next year. If so, I will choose the weaker of my lifts between Bench/OHP and Squat/Dead, and run it for those.

My full log is here.

Great log. Well done on completing the program too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mobile w

is everyone here doing just the 3 days p/w? ive been doing 2 extra, lower body and a hybrid day of day1/3. is this alright? i know the programme is designed with specific amounts of reps/exercises in mind so dont want to throw it out of wack by doing the extra sessions.

im on week four and loving it thus far.

mobile w wrote: »
    is everyone here doing just the 3 days p/w? ive been doing 2 extra, lower body and a hybrid day of day1/3. is this alright? i know the programme is designed with specific amounts of reps/exercises in mind so dont want to throw it out of wack by doing the extra sessions.

im on week four and loving it thus far.

I'm doing some other stuff too.
    Bit of yoga, some cleans, some conditioning, mability & flexibility sessions, that kind of thing.

I'm taking it easy on these extra days and just getting some work done at a low intensity & leaving loads in the tank for the three main days.

Generally, I did the whole program as written. Sometimes I did the days back to back, sometimes I had several days off in between sessions. My availability varies considerably, and so that's just the way it is. I never did more than 4 days in a row, and never had more than 5 days between sessions. I never had a problem either way. I only varied the program twice:

1) I wouldn't have been able to get to the gym for a week for a Day 3, so I ran to the park and did the programmed chins and push-ups, and added 3 sets of dips.
    2) I won't be able to get to the gym this week between Day 3 and Day 1, so at the gym I did Chins and Bench, then picked one movement from each day per accessory muscle group, did no super-sets and did one finisher.

I would say it is best to follow the program. In a pinch, I feel that Days 3 are the easiest to approximate/work-in on another day because chins and push-ups can be done almost anywhere and/or in and around other parts of a program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tigger wrote: »
    whats atg cleans edit ass to ground cleans!!
    are you mad
    ATG cleans are proper cleans, more awkward than not at low weight and high reps
    when doing high reps, and id call anything over three in a row high reps when it comes to cleans/snatches, they're gonna start to look like that a bit.

just gotta focus more on the clean and less on the reverse curl throughout
    As a suggestion, releasing your grip in the rack position might help stop the arms being dominant in the cleans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

mobile w wrote: »
    ive been doing 2 extra, lower body and a hybrid day of day1/3. is this alright? i know the programme is designed with specific amounts of reps/exercises in mind so dont want to throw it out of wack by doing the extra sessions.

Yes the programme is designed with specifics, and no you're no longer 'doing the programme' if you throw in 2 extra days.

From the programme

Q: Although the Badass Program only calls for 3 workouts a week, can I train more often? I like to
    train 3-5 times a week.
    A: Our main reason for making this program “only” 3 days a week is because we believe training must fit your
    lifestyle. We realize that you have a life outside of the gym that consists of work, family, other obligations, etc.
    With this program, you DO NOT have to live in the gym to make progress and see results. Go out and use
    your new-found strength/athleticism and experience new things such as hiking, playing catch with your kids,
    playing pick-up basketball or whatever it is you want to do. If you feel the need to do more than what is written
    in the program—then by all means—you can add to it. If you like to lift, you can do some accessory work one
    day a week and focus on your weak points. The key is to not do too much and take away from your three main
    days when performing your “extra” workout. If you are more into the “cardio” portion of the program, you can
    add some sprints or additional steady-state cardio (bike, treadmill, elliptical) on one or two other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

columok wrote: »

That is some serious horse$hiz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

srumball wrote: »
    That is some serious horse$hiz!!

Is he the guy at the start of that video? Hard to take advice from someone who doesn't look in any sort of great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

mloc wrote: »
    Is he the guy at the start of that video? Hard to take advice from someone who doesn't look in any sort of great shape.

Yeah., he really isn't in any sort of shape, hard to believe he is behind crossfit.

Liam is right to post that quote from the program re: extra work . And Defranco obviously devises his program to be an ends to a means rather than a goal in and of itself. He expects you to be playing ball on the weekends, going for runs, etc.

However, I do want to make one anecdotal point. As far as I have been able to find, my log is one of only two wherein the user completed the entire program. What I HAVE seen a great deal of, is folks starting the program doing 1-3 weeks of it, then starting to add in lots of other stuff on off days, then start substituting movements on the prescribed days with their "favorites," and ultimately abandoning the program less than half way through to fall back on something resembling what they were doing before. I'm no expert, but I assume if what they were doing before was awesome, they wouldn't have bailed on it in the first place. This seems to be what guys like Wendler, etc., are screaming about when they refer to program-hopping and a lack of consistency.

Just a thought.

This seems to be what guys like Wendler, etc., are screaming about when they refer to program-hopping and a lack of consistency.

Just a thought.

yeah, nail on the head there.

I think I'll find weeks 5 & 10 (the deloads) the hardest week as I'll find it tough to do so little but I'm gonna stick with this as it'll take me right up to Christmas and Ill get to test maxes in bench, front squat and pull ups and then eat the ring out of it for 2 weeks.

Finished the program yesterday. Good increase in Bench, Squat, and Chins. Also tested my press, and it has gone up as well. My weight has increased about 8-10 lbs.,but my belt is still notched in the same place as when I started. Also went for my first run in 2 months, and had more endurance and speed than I did before. For me, this program was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Finished the program yesterday. Good increase in Bench, Squat, and Chins. Also tested my press, and it has gone up as well. My weight has increased about 8-10 lbs.,but my belt is still notched in the same place as when I started. Also went for my first run in 2 months, and had more endurance and speed than I did before. For me, this program was successful.

Did you follow any particular eating plan with the program?

• Advertisement

Not really. I had done a fairly stupid diet down earlier this year that resulted in a quick 10lb. loss followed by my weight and my lifts all stalling out hard for a few months. Not worth going into. From that, I slowly started adding 500 calories in every week until I reached maintenance levels. Next, I started using protein supplements to try and get my protein up at 1+ gram per lb. of body weight. Once I had the protein powder integrated into my eating habits, I pretty much stopped paying attention to what I was eating. However you should know that I didn't come into this with any body composition goals. I only hoped to increase strength and general athletic performance.

The only real staple that changed in my diet was my weekday breakfast. Every Sunday I would dump a tub of full-fat greek-style yogurt, a whole jar of all natural almond butter, and 7 scoops/servings of chocolate protein powder (same stuff I use for my post-workout drink) into a stand mixer and whirl it all up. Also a 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon for flavor. This comes to about seven 8oz. servings a week, or one small jelly jar full per day. The breakdown is roughly 650 calories per serving, 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs.

If you are interested in this, I really do recommend not trying it unless you have a decent stand-mixer with a paddle attachment. The consistency is much to thick to stir up by hand, and wouldn't trust my blender or food processor to have enough torque for this either. It's texture is comparable to a thick chocolate mousse.

What were the changes in your lifts? 1RM before and after.

That yogurt, almond, protein, mousse really helped with the cals for size gains. Sounds pretty good.

Please keep in mind I had only been doing these lifts regularly for about 3-4 months prior to starting the program. All weight in lbs.:
    Bench: 155 to 185
    Squat: 205 to 250
    Chins: 1 to 10

I also re-tested my military press this week, after not having done it in the 3 months I was on the program and it went up as well:
    Military: 115 to 125

I'm retesting my deadlift today. Like the press, I haven't pulled in 3 months. Looking forward to the results!

Even though I'm not in this for composition, for what it's worth I do get lots of comments about the change in my appearance. Particularly one friend keeps referring to how "tough" I look, and my wife says I'm looking more "caveman" (something she likes, thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Started week 5 day 1 today. Very hard to stick to the program as its deload week. I was very tempted to just add a few more exercises in and go for heavier weights but didnt. Only took me 25 min altogether. 20km round trip cycle to the gym tho so il take that

One thing I did to try to keep things interesting in the Deload week, was work on bar speed with the presses, and I also did pause-squats on Lower day. The weights are still light, but I found the work informative at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

just done week 3 session 2 tonight. really good session. solid d/l's, 162.5kg x 2, and the a good time ( for me ) on the 1mile run, 7m23s. Im lovin BLABA so far... just taught id share !

One last note:
    I tested my deadlift last night. Haven't done it in 3 months as I was squatting on the program. My previous best was 225 lbs.X5 (I wasn't doing singles back then). Last night I pulled 295X1. I tried for 315, but no luck. That projects to roughly a 35 lb. increase in my max on pulls without pulling for 12 weeks.

Good going. You can only estimate your max at 225lb x 5, but 35 or even 40lb increase looks about right. Squat carry over FTW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

The only real staple that changed in my diet was my weekday breakfast. Every Sunday I would dump a tub of full-fat greek-style yogurt, a whole jar of all natural almond butter, and 7 scoops/servings of chocolate protein powder (same stuff I use for my post-workout drink) into a stand mixer and whirl it all up. Also a 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon for flavor. This comes to about seven 8oz. servings a week, or one small jelly jar full per day. The breakdown is roughly 650 calories per serving, 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs.

Nilster, This sounds like what I'm after to get some extra calories in to get the scales moving again. What size tub of greek yoghurt do you use ?
    Any brand better than another ?

• Advertisement

I believe it's a 4 cup container of yogurt, and a 16 oz. jar of almond butter. As for brand, I would just go with full fat (less carbs) and make sure it's got active cultures so you get the benefits of those as well.

Regarding the protein powder, I'm even more of a supplement novice than I am a lifting novice. This recipe worked very well with whey isolate (I use Grecian Ideal), but I recently tried Brown Rice (from Sun Warrior) and the texutre is...challenging. Not a deal breaker, but the whey was certainly much more satisfying. Even my wife thought it tasted good.

Advertisement