Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I got 7:28 on the push ups the first week, 5:20 today (end of 2nd week)
    Just do 10 push ups in 10 seconds with 20s rest for as long as you can.
    I did 60 this way in 2 mins 10, then I did sets of 8 til 84, one set of 6 & finished with a set of 10.

As for the main lifts, yes, on bench days, there's a plus beside the prescribed reps so go to max reps minus one.
    I did bench this Monday. Wanted 80kg x 12, got 11 but didn't think is get 12 so racked it. Try not to fail a rep.

On lower body days, for the first few weeks, just do the stated reps as prescribed.

As for the 1 mile run, I hate running so I'm doing a 2km row instead. 7:42.

I do Monday, Wednesday, Friday

you can hit 90% of yer max X 11?

seems like your max is higher than you think

GASMANN wrote: »
    finished week 1 yesterday, went for d/l's on day2, still feeling it a little bit (150kg x 4) sweaty palms made it hard. have to try and get straps for week 2 or else lift where i can use chalk. hardest part of the week was the 100 push ups. i went at the fist 40 like a hero and banged them out in 45sec's finished the 100 in 7m28s so i think i need to come up with a plan !
    question for people further into the programme, because the main moves each day are based on max effort, should the final reps be touching failure or wha?
    also hows all your 1mile times( 1.6km ) 8.08 for me, looking forward to attacking it next week.

im doin sun/tue/thur

liquid chalk is soo much better than straps

i love my grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I got 7:28 on the push ups the first week, 5:20 today (end of 2nd week)
    Just do 10 push ups in 10 seconds with 20s rest for as long as you can.
    I did 60 this way in 2 mins 10, then I did sets of 8 til 84, one set of 6 & finished with a set of 10.

As for the main lifts, yes, on bench days, there's a plus beside the prescribed reps so go to max reps minus one.
    I did bench this Monday. Wanted 80kg x 12, got 11 but didn't think is get 12 so racked it. Try not to fail a rep.

On lower body days, for the first few weeks, just do the stated reps as prescribed.

As for the 1 mile run, I hate running so I'm doing a 2km row instead. 7:42.

I do Monday, Wednesday, Friday

is the plus not so you do the prescribed reps on sets 1+2 and max on the final with a minimum of whats stated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

where to buy this liquid chalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

GASMANN wrote: »

is the plus not so you do the prescribed reps on sets 1+2 and max on the final with a minimum of whats stated?

Yeah, as in week 2 on bench is 7,5,3+
    so you do 7, 5, then 3 or more meaning asany as you can without failing a rep.

You can usually buy liquid chalk in outdoor shops, in the climbing section

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »

you can hit 90% of yer max X 11?

seems like your max is higher than you think

I'm coming back from an injury. 3 weeks ago I got 90 x 5 without maxing out so estimated my 1RM to be 95. Its probably really around the low 100's

The percentages for final lift on week 2 day 1 are 85% x 3+

Also, I was always able to bang out high reps with sub maximal weights in the 75-<90% range.
    1rm calculators would then give you an inflated max.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

I'm coming back from an injury. 3 weeks ago I got 90 x 5 without maxing out so estimated my 1RM to be 95. Its probably really around the low 100's

Also, I was always able to bang out high reps with sub maximal weights in the 75-<90% range.

At the bottom of the page is a very interesting table on estimated reps at each percentage: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

1rm to me is how much you can lift once i was on westside before this so i would test often

1'd say you could do 110 if you tried

1RM to me is how much you can lift once i was on westside before this so i would test often

1'd say you could do 110 if you tried

Thats what a 1RM is to everyone.

Ihaven't benches mOre than 108kg since I was over 18 stone 2 years ago.
    108kg was this time last year I think.

I'll test my max at Christmas when the programme is finished

Thats what a 1RM is to everyone.

Ihaven't benches mOre than 108kg since I was over 18 stone 2 years ago.
    108kg was this time last year I think.

I'll test my max at Christmas when the programme is finished

i mean i never get the estimating yer 1rm from a chart thing
    why do people do that (yourself excluded i understand you're comming back from injury)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

i mean i never get the estimating yer 1rm from a chart thing
    why do people do that (yourself excluded i understand you're comming back from injury)

Because doing a 1RM can cause greater potential for injury.

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Because doing a 1RM can cause greater potential for injury.

so you should never do it?

ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

so you should never do it?

ok

Greater, not certain.

Hanley wrote: »
    Greater, not certain.

i get that

so if you can sometimes lift to max then shirley unless you have an injury the best way to find your 1rm is to try to lift it

I know what you're saying and for beginners it's probably true.

But once you've developed a certain level of strength & compete you train to taper, you train to peak at certain times of the year.

I wouldn't have a very high level of strength & have only competed a couple of times but I wouldn't max more than 3-4 times per year.

In addition to the increased risk of injury, there is also the issue of neural fatigue which takes longer to get over the heavier the load you are moving.

So in order to be able to train fresher for longer, people use %ages of maxes to estimate 1RM and work towards increasing that a handful of times during the year.

Hope that helps &/or makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Just back from week 3 day 3. That core workout was tough as f*** pushups getting better. Knocked a minute off and able to do 20 more regular push ups ( I can't do the full 100 so have to do pussy push ups on my knees)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

i get that

so if you can sometimes lift to max then shirley unless you have an injury the best way to find your 1rm is to try to lift it

Or if you're listening to Joe De Franco with his Westside cap on 1rms are great.

The theory behind not doing them is great and all the l'Oreal science behind it is great too but in my experience lifting close to your max if not 100% often is a good thing.

The "1rms are bad" thing is a fad, partly due to the wave of popularity of the 5/3/1 program. The training logs here are pretty good evidence that that program doesn't really work.

If you never plan on actually lifting your 1rm and are happy with rep PR's that move your calculated 1rm up that's fine but if you ever attempt to lift that weight having never worked with weights at 90%+ then mark my words, you will piss your pants as soon as you unrack it.

I still can't decide if I 1rms are the way to go. I can argue either way. But I will say this...

You know you've got good form and technique when you miss lifts the exact same way that you get them. If you can get under 101%, attempt it, struggle, strain and then miss it, and it looks like 99%, the only difference being you weren't able to finish it, you've obviouly put your time in under the bar, have kinesthetic awareness and in that sense will minimise any inherent risk associated with a 1rm attempt.

I guess my injury hierarchy concern scale would be something like...

light weight + good form > heavy weight + good form > light weight + bad form > heavy weight + bad form

This post has been brought to you by the Greg Glassman School of Verbosity.

kevpants wrote: »
    Or if you're listening to Joe De Franco with his Westside cap on 1rms are great.

The theory behind not doing them is great and all the l'Oreal science behind it is great too but in my experience lifting close to your max if not 100% often is a good thing.

The "1rms are bad" thing is a fad, partly due to the wave of popularity of the 5/3/1 program. The training logs here are pretty good evidence that that program doesn't really work.

If you never plan on actually lifting your 1rm and are happy with rep PR's that move your calculated 1rm up that's fine but if you ever attempt to lift that weight having never worked with weights at 90%+ then mark my words, you will piss your pants as soon as you unrack it.

i'm doing this badass thing as a mix up from westside for Tigger bastads (ws4fb with my guesses at assistance exercises)

so i agree 100%

i love big singles i love the heavy feeling of lifting just what you can
    thats why i'm asking all this stuff

I still can't decide if I 1rms are the way to go. I can argue either way. But I will say this...

You know you've got good form and technique when you miss lifts the exact same way that you get them. If you can get under 101%, attempt it, struggle, strain and then miss it, and it looks like 99%, the only difference being you weren't able to finish it, you've obviouly put your time in under the bar, have kinesthetic awareness and in that sense will minimise any inherent risk associated with a 1rm attempt.

I guess my injury hierarchy concern scale would be something like...

light weight + good form > heavy weight + good form > light weight + bad form > heavy weight + bad form

i agree with the beginning of thios post (i don't get some of the stuff at the end)
    but if you want to see how well you miss you have to lift the 1rm not just work it out

• Advertisement

What (I think) he's saying is that there are degrees of failing max effort lifts.

A near fail/miss with good form is better than a bad fail/miss with horrendous form.

And I'd agree with Hanley on the point that you can look at it both ways.

What I like about the badass programme is that you hit 90% plus after week 3.

i agree with the beginning of thios post (i don't get some of the stuff at the end)
    but if you want to see how well you miss you have to lift the 1rm not just work it out

What don't you get? Missing a lift with good form is safer than getting a lift with bad form.

And yes, of course you need to test maxes to know how to fail them. But I never said you should use your max to test how good your form is. It's pretty easy to see where someones skill level is based off just watching their warm ups and work sets, regardless of weight.

this bit i didn't get

thanks for the info

this bit i didn't get

thanks for the info

There was a large part of the post that just rambled and used unnecessarily large words, probably in an inappropriate context too, in much the same way as Greg Glassman does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

There was a large part of the post that just rambled and used unnecessarily large words, probably in an inappropriate context too, in much the same way as Greg Glassman does.
    If you wanna get to that level of obscurantism you're gonna have to diurnally up your game using some kind of inverse magnitudinal evolution. You might wanna get some rocket scientists and electrical engineers involved.

columok wrote: »
    If you wanna get to that level of obscurantism you're gonna have to diurnally up your game using some kind of inverse magnitudinal evolution. You might wanna get some rocket scientists and electrical engineers involved.

That paragraph makes little to no sense to me.

The phrase "clusterf*CK" comes to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

You are obviously not a Math person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

That paragraph has got the science.

Satanta wrote: »

You are obviously not a Math person.

Yeah, I only teach it.
    Wouldn't have a clue........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Don't know if serious Liamhenners...

Have you not seen glassman give talks?

Advertisement