Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

three days in i'm really enjoying this programme

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Had planned to start this last week but tore my hamstring the day before I was due to start the program. Was planning on having another weeks rest then just doing the 2 upper body days each week for 4 weeks, (leaving out the lower body parts of the complexes). After these 4 weeks, I was planning to start the program from start again including the lower body days but with a fully functioning hamstring. This should bring me up to Christmas in decent enough shape. Can anyone provide advice on whether this is a good/bad idea?

Has anyone ran the program in its entirety yet? Results etc?

Not sure whether to use this for losing or gaining weight but considering using my first 4 weeks to lose weight then when I start the programme properly to eat a 500 calories surplus most days and add weight slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

After a bit of deliberation I think I'll start this today. Just to do something different really. I will also be doing 2 easy to moderate cycles a week to build up a base fitness for next year too, so the 1 day of lower body should work well for me. I'll keep a log and track my progress in case anyone is interested. If nothing else it'll be an interesting experiment for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Had a bit of a crap weekend, a lot fo booze and junk food consumed. Weightloss aint gonna happen if im eating crap all day.:mad: only my self to blame i suppose. Starting week 2 tomorrow, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Just did the first workout.
    Put my bench 1RM at 95, probably a bit low as I got 75kg x 15 as the top set.

Just used 40kg for the 2 sets of complexes, the push presses were the hardest part of it for me.

Gonna go with front squats for the Lower body work on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

how are people spacing this out

day one and three are upper body and i needed loads of recovery after the 100 pushups finish on day three and feck all from day 1-2 or 2-3 so i was thinking

1=monday
    2=wed
    3=friday then sat sun off and back to monday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

One thing I don't like about this program is that the rest periods aren't written down in it.

they are where it matters

its written for the complexes and there are no breaks for the a,b supersets

rest of the time its whatever you need

at least thats how i read it

Tigger wrote: »
    how are people spacing this out

day one and three are upper body and i needed loads of recovery after the 100 pushups finish on day three and feck all from day 1-2 or 2-3 so i was thinking

1=monday
    2=wed
    3=friday then sat sun off and back to monday

Yeah, that's how I'm gonna work it.
    And the "rest" days can be used for light cardio, yoga, cleans or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Started keeping a log og my progress on this to make sure I stick to it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056390539

Im looking foward to the bigger weights coming down the line.. Has thought me some new tricks too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nilster

All-

I am an older, somewhat weak, and not terribly experience lifter. However for anyone starting this program, I am almost finished with it, and have been keeping an on-line log since week 2. If you're interested, you can find it here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

nilster wrote: »
    All-

I am an older, somewhat weak, and not terribly experience lifter. However for anyone starting this program, I am almost finished with it, and have been keeping an on-line log since week 2. If you're interested, you can find it here.

Thanks.

Just reading your blog, dont get your numbers. Are you talking in lbs when you give weight?

Indeed. My mistake. I found this thread while looking for other logs for this program. Regrettably, there are not many available. I neglected to mention that I live in the states, and so work in pounds.

Indeed. My mistake. I found this thread while looking for other logs for this program. Regrettably, there are not many available. I neglected to mention that I live in the states, and so work in pounds.

welcome fellow not very strong dude :D stick around

see you're reading dance with dragons

welcome fellow not very strong dude :D stick around

see you're reading dance with dragons

Thanks! My novice thoughts and experience with the program are pretty thoroughly covered on the log, but if anyone has any questions I'd do my best to answer.

And, yes, I read the whole SoIaF series this year. I thought I should if there was a chance I would eventually watch the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Gintonious wrote: »
    One thing I don't like about this program is that the rest periods aren't written down in it.

From the PDF
    Q: What rest periods do you recommend for the max-effort lifts
    and accessory lifts?
    A: The recommended rest periods for max-effort exercises are 3-5 minutes
    between sets. The recommended rest periods (if not specified) are one to
    two minutes between sets for all accessory exercises.

I personally took 2 mins between the max effort lifts on day 1 and 2.

For me, I set a 240 second timer for ME sets. Depending on the % being worked that week, I often cut that short by feel.

For the assistance work, unless otherwise specified, I set a 90 second timer, and cut short if I feel like it. Since a lot of these movements are slightly unusual and/or are being super-set, I find I get better quality sets resting more than a minute.

100 push ups finished on day 3 sucks.

Last week, too 7:28, stupidly went almost to failure on the first burst of about 19-20 and it dragged.

Had a plan today and got time down to 5:20.
    want sub 4:30 soon.

with the complexes i wait till the screaming stops

yeah, they suck.
    they worst part about doing them the first time is having to do it all again in two minutes!

do you do hang power cleans or hang ATG cleans?
    I did half and half the last day and moved up to 42.5kg from 40kg.

The push press is the hardest part for me.

• Advertisement

I did hang cleans. They were the worst part for me on the BB complexes. I've never done cleans before, and my forearms were screaming by the time they were done. When my forearms couldn't take it anymore, I would just do reverse-curls because they were easier for me!

However, of all the complexes, the worst by far for me have been the lunges in the "BeZercher" complex.

I did hang cleans. They were the worst part for me on the BB complexes. I've never done cleans before, and my forearms were screaming by the time they were done. When my forearms couldn't take it anymore, I would just do reverse-curls because they were easier for me!

However, of all the complexes, the worst by far for me have been the lunges in the "BeZercher" complex.

i see them comming at me and i don't like it

:eek:

yeah, they suck.
    they worst part about doing them the first time is having to do it all again in two minutes!

do you do hang power cleans or hang ATG cleans?
    I did half and half the last day and moved up to 42.5kg from 40kg.

The push press is the hardest part for me.

i do like the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIPAuxcL2g

whats atg cleans edit ass to ground cleans!!
    are you mad

yeah, I watched that. the hang cleans are pretty horrendous

whats atg cleans edit ass to ground cleans!!

yeah, thats what it means
    are you mad

yeah, but sure arent we all a bit mad?

yeah, I watched that. the hang cleans are pretty horrendous

hes got 60kg on that bar i think

do you mean the form? is horrendous ?

hes got 60kg on that bar i think

do you mean the form? is horrendous ?

yeah, 60kg is 135lbs

yeah, the form is pure ****e.
    not a hang clean at all really.
    its like a 1/4 hang powerclean meets 3/4 reverse biceps curl

yeah, 60kg is 135lbs

yeah, the form is pure ****e.
    not a hang clean at all really.
    its like a 1/4 hang powerclean meets 3/4 reverse biceps curl

well thats what i do

well thats what i do

when doing high reps, and id call anything over three in a row high reps when it comes to cleans/snatches, they're gonna start to look like that a bit.

just gotta focus more on the clean and less on the reverse curl throughout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

finished week 1 yesterday, went for d/l's on day2, still feeling it a little bit (150kg x 4) sweaty palms made it hard. have to try and get straps for week 2 or else lift where i can use chalk. hardest part of the week was the 100 push ups. i went at the fist 40 like a hero and banged them out in 45sec's finished the 100 in 7m28s so i think i need to come up with a plan !
    question for people further into the programme, because the main moves each day are based on max effort, should the final reps be touching failure or wha?
    also hows all your 1mile times( 1.6km ) 8.08 for me, looking forward to attacking it next week.

im doin sun/tue/thur

• Advertisement

GASMANN wrote: »
    finished week 1 yesterday, went for d/l's on day2, still feeling it a little bit (150kg x 4) sweaty palms made it hard. have to try and get straps for week 2 or else lift where i can use chalk. hardest part of the week was the 100 push ups. i went at the fist 40 like a hero and banged them out in 45sec's finished the 100 in 7m08s so i think i need to come up with a plan !
    question for people further into the programme, because the main moves each day are based on max effort, should the final reps be touching failure or wha?
    also hows all your 1mile times( 1.6km ) 8.08 for me, looking forward to attacking it next week.

im doin sun/tue/thur

I got 7:28 on the push ups the first week, 5:20 today (end of 2nd week)
    Just do 10 push ups in 10 seconds with 20s rest for as long as you can.
    I did 60 this way in 2 mins 10, then I did sets of 8 til 84, one set of 6 & finished with a set of 10.

As for the main lifts, yes, on bench days, there's a plus beside the prescribed reps so go to max reps minus one.
    I did bench this Monday. Wanted 80kg x 12, got 11 but didn't think is get 12 so racked it. Try not to fail a rep.

On lower body days, for the first few weeks, just do the stated reps as prescribed.

As for the 1 mile run, I hate running so I'm doing a 2km row instead. 7:42.

I do Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Advertisement