Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options
1434445464749»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

JRant wrote: »
    Have to take umbrage with this. Our current malaise is all down to management as they are picking under performing players and sending them out with a mishmash game plan.

for me its both,theres no leadership on field and no leadership in management,have you forgotten why eddie o sullivan was canned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ok people are on the fine line of getting banned. Please reel in the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Houdini has to share a heavy part of the blame. He ran the ball from the back of a scrum but he shyed away from contact and gave it to his 9 in a terrible position. It was obviously a terrible pass from TOL but its not as bad as D'Arcy's today or Reddan's last year against England.

We can all be happy about TOL missing the plane because it was the right choice but, he is not 100% to blame for the try. I do agree that Sexton should have risked a binning to keep the try out but, I wouldn't put any blame on him.

LOL. I thought ROG was on the bench when they scored! Cause we only have one Houdini in our team.

Anyhow, try not to completely contradict yourself in just one sentence. At least flesh it out a bit before you do, wont make it seem so obvious.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He ran the ball from the back of a scrum but he shyed away from contact and gave it to his 9 in a terrible position.

Yet if that was Fitzgerald there, it would have been that he overran it, right. If TOL had entertained the notion that Heaslip may try to change something to creat a bit of go forward ball, he'd have been a yard or two further back, and would have received the ball.

100% TOL's fault.

As for your comments on D'arcy's pass today, and Reddan's in March: Really? A slow floaty loopy ball in your own 22, or crisp passes at halfway? Reddan and D'arcy were unlucky, TOL was asking for an intercept.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    He was right next to Trinh Duc, I wanted him to tackle him, or obstruct him and give away a penalty.

Sexton was a stationary player attempting to grab a high ball from an oncoming player. There is a reason a full back coming from deep calls a high ball over a centre/winger under it. Sexton's only option there was to try and get the ball or at least get a hand to it, and that was an unlikely outcome at best. Doing anything to Rougerie would have been a penalty and seen Sexton in the sin bin. Doing that to stop a try that doesn't even put you behind on the score board would be stupid.

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20
    I disagree tolosenc, I think D'Arcy was annoyed at throwing the pass and rightfully so. You can tell by his own face the second the ball leaves his hands that he realises he's ****ed up.

He's in woeful form, but uncomfortably the DK way means that we've just got to suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Calling him Houdini is hilarious. Because it is so ****ing wrong.

You are a space cadet at the best of times. Obviously World Cup time is going to exacerbate your blatant inability to commend anyone but "your guys"

So are you claiming that he didn't go missing yesterday? I don't object to posters calling Buckley Buckle, so stop being so sensitive.

Who would you consider my guys because, I seem to remember praising Best for his performance today; I even want him to play next week ahead of Flannery because he earned the start. :eek:

Will you contend the fact that the worst performers today were Leinster (and Leicster) players? Am I not allowed to point this out because I'm a Munster fan? I will always be somewhat biased towards Earls and Murray due to school ties but, I don't see how I was anything but impartial with my analysis of today's game - I even criticised Leamy :eek: :rolleyes:

Get off your high-horse emmett!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sexton was a stationary player attempting to grab a high ball from an oncoming player. There is a reason a full back coming from deep calls a high ball over a centre/winger under it. Sexton's only option there was to try and get the ball or at least get a hand to it, and that was an unlikely outcome at best. Doing anything to Rougerie would have been a penalty and seen Sexton in the sin bin. Doing that to stop a try that doesn't even put you behind on the score board would be stupid.

What game are you talking about?

We were already behind, iirc, and it was Trinh Duc.

Do you really think he'd have been cited?

Definitely.

Candelon vs Northampton in last year's Heineken Cup.

Ireland by less than 20
    So are you claiming that he didn't go missing yesterday? I don't object to posters calling Buckley Buckle, so stop being so sensitive.

Who would you consider my guys because, I seem to remember praising Best for his performance today; I even want him to play next week ahead of Flannery because he earned the start. :eek:

Will you contend the fact that the worst performers today were Leinster (and Leicster) players? Am I not allowed to point this out because I'm a Munster fan? I will always be somewhat biased towards Earls and Murray due to school ties but, I don't see how I was anything but impartial with my analysis of today's game - I even criticised Leamy :eek: :rolleyes:

Get off your high-horse emmett!

there were 22 players that didn't perform. 22

High horse? Pull the other one

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    Definitely.

Candelon vs Northampton in last year's Heineken Cup.

Not even slightly similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGY3Daz3PI

Ireland by less than 20
    Also to add. Defending Tony Buckley's well earned nickname "buckle" is like saying Ice Cream doesn't melt.

The guy doesn't scrummage, wont scrummage, and is the epitomy of the word BUCKLE.

Heaslip on the other hand, being called Houdini, is beyond bizarre. And to be honest, if you consider who calls him it, and actually think for maybe 7 seconds you might discover that NOBODY else in the world bar some bitter zealots think that he isn't a big game player.

Also to add. Defending Tony Buckley's well earned nickname "buckle" is like saying Ice Cream doesn't melt.

The guy doesn't scrummage, wont scrummage, and is the epitomy of the word BUCKLE.

Heaslip on the other hand, being called Houdini, is beyond bizarre. And to be honest, if you consider who calls him it, and actually think for maybe 7 seconds you might discover that NOBODY else in the world bar some bitter zealots think that he isn't a big game player.

He's often called it on pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭JRant

for me its both,theres no leadership on field and no leadership in management,have you forgotten why eddie o sullivan was canned

Of course your spot on about needing the on-field leaders as well, however at least EOS sent them out with a gameplan. Eddie got canned for an awful WC campaign. He should have been canned for not bringing through enough youth in his time and unfortunately DK seems to have realised this mistake a little to late.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Ireland by less than 20
    He's often called it on pr.

by?

by?

non-leinster posters there.

Will you contend the fact that the worst performers today were Leinster (and Leicster) players?

The only good players today were Ulster players, interestingly enough. Fez, and Best were brilliant.

You don't think that O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Murray, O'Gara, Leamy and Earls were good today, do you? DOC is past his sellby date, O'Connell consistently made the wrong call at the lineout, Murray was too slow, O'Gara did SFA, Leamy was anonymous during his cameo, and Earls only contribution of note was the result of obvious crossing by Bowe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    What game are you talking about?

We were already behind, iirc, and it was Trinh Duc.

You're right. I looked at highlights there and read the score wrong. I'm a moron. Don't know what the hell I was on about with the Rougerie thing.

He could have given away the penalty, but it would have required an exceedingly cynical commitment to the tackle before Trinh Duc was near the ball. I think Sexton was just doing his best to actually get the ball, but he never had a hope in that scenario. It was 70% TOL's fault and 30% Heaslip's, really don't think Sexton could have done anything else.

Ireland by less than 20
    non-leinster posters there.

cool.
    :confused:

People who are worth listening to? People who know what they're talking about?

I know a guy who thinks that D'Arcy would make a good 6. He says it often. He told someone once and they repeated it.

There are plenty of people on here who say things that instantly forgetable, so I'd imagine that it is more than similar on planet rugby.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You're right. I looked at highlights there and read the score wrong. I'm a moron. Don't know what the hell I was on about with the Rougerie thing.

He could have given away the penalty, but it would have required an exceedingly cynical commitment to the tackle before Trinh Duc was near the ball. I think Sexton was just doing his best to actually get the ball, but he never had a hope in that scenario. It was 70% TOL's fault and 30% Heaslip's, really don't think Sexton could have done anything else.

Don't knock cynicism, it's what wins world cups.

I know it was a meaningless game, and I know it was TOL's fault (as I already said) but I want every Irish player to view every game as a must win.

• Advertisement

Not even slightly similar.

I'm talking about the citing. If Sexton takes him out in the air, and gets binned, there's your precedent. What's to say he wouldn't have landed on his head had Sexton been so cynical.

cool.
    :confused:

People who are worth listening to? People who know what they're talking about?

I know a guy who thinks that D'Arcy would make a good 6. He says it often. He told someone once and they repeated it.

There are plenty of people on here who say things that instantly forgetable, so I'd imagine that it is more than similar on planet rugby.

Same type of people who call Buckley "buckle".

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm talking about the citing. If Sexton takes him out in the air, and gets binned, there's your precedent. What's to say he wouldn't have landed on his head had Sexton been so cynical.

Oh please, you can't compare the two things, and I suspect you know you can't. the french winger runs at pace into the Saints player's legs, makes no attempt to contest the ball etc. Blocking players happen in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Eh enough of this if another mod wants to reopen this in the morning they can

Ireland by less than 20
    Same type of people who call Buckley "buckle".

Have you seen him scrummage?

This is beyond ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Eh enough of this if another mod wants to reopen this in the morning they can

nah. i would have to ban too many people.

just for the record folks.....i'm not a big fan of the derogatory "nicknames" and here is an example of why. think i'll just ban people for it from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement